Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Hello all,
I am obviously a new user to excel.  I have a psychological assessmen
that needs to be computerised for ease of use in obtaining results.
Here is what i would like to happen.  I have 28 questions with fiv
Likert scale options(0-4) for answers.  Each question addresses 1 of
different personality traits.  So questions 1, 6, 8, 22 look at anger.
Where as questions 2, 9, 28 look at happiness.  What i would like is fo
excel to group the answers and give me the total number for each trait.
Then based on that number, give out a prewritten (which i would provide
result of the assessment.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.  If excel would no
work, any ideas?

Thank yo

--
rbvette
rbvetter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1623

Excel has a number of functions available for your need.
If you place the questions in the A column (1 - 28) and the Liker
scale value in
the B column, you can summarize rather easily.

For anger, as you mentioned, Likert values for questions 1,6,8, and 2
(from the B column) need to be added up. So somewhere on the sheet
place the following formula in the cell:   =Sum(B1,B6,B8,B22). In
cell next to or above this, place a label such as  Anger Total

--
crispb
crispbd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1088

and then if you ever wanted to return a different evaluation for differnent
totals, you can enter something like "IF(C1>10,"he's angry","he's not angry")
which is Exel's version of an "IF, THEN, ELSE" statement.

"crispbd" wrote:

> Excel has a number of functions available for your need.
> If you place the questions in the A column (1 - 28) and the Likert
> scale value in
> the B column, you can summarize rather easily.
>
> For anger, as you mentioned, Likert values for questions 1,6,8, and 22
> (from the B column) need to be added up. So somewhere on the sheet,
> place the following formula in the cell:   =Sum(B1,B6,B8,B22). In a
> cell next to or above this, place a label such as  Anger Total.
>

> --
> crispbd
> crispbd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10880
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276424

0
Pringles (23)

Not Sure
Hi, Can anyone help? If I use a Form selecting from the range "make" I want the next Form to be able to pick from the "model" range of that make. So if I picked Ford in the 1st form, the 2nd form will only give me the options of Mondeo LxTD or Mondeo Aspen. The other information I can already obtain using Vlookup() but I cannot find a way of inputting the "model" range into the Vlookup() In cell A1 the form will bring in the option picked (ford Or Vauxhall) What I need is in cell B2 I want to be able to pick from only the cars made by ford or vauxhall...

Excel Template????????????????????????????????
Hello, I am new to Excel. I just downloaded an Inventory Template and have a question. I was inputing data in the fields, they are Gray and then white. Everything was working fine until I came to a Gray line. After this line it appears that there are no longer defind cells. There is no gray and white rows, they are all whate now. It seems like this template is only set up to input so much data. How do I extend the template to input more data? Sorry if this is confusing. Any help would be great. Semper Fi, Robert Perry Which template is it? Post the URL. I'm sure it is just a ma...

EXCEL 2000 & EXCEL XP Compatability
We were just given an EXCEL file created in XP and now the end user customer wants it in EXCEL 2000. Are there any known issues regarding these two versions working together. We know there are many problems with Word and PowerPoint 2000 & XP working together. Please help !!!!!!! ...

need help with macros
Hello folks. Cant say that I know much about macros. I am a computer support technician trying to help someone who also does not have a strong understanding of macros. I'll get right to it. The way this was explained to me was that a macro was created in excel file #1. I am told that (and I have observed this) when you open excel file #1 and excel file #2 (no macro created in #2) and then go back to file #1 and click tools > macro > macros you should see the name of the macro created already there and you should just be able to click the "run". But the name of the ma...

excel file can not be accessed
When opening an excel file I get an error that reads " 'Excel File Name.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." The file is not read-only. The other files in the same location are readable. The document is stored on a local drive. Any suggestions on how to read the file? Thanks for your time. Dave Could this be it? http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly (from Debra Dalgleish's site) Dave wrote: > > When op...

Can you use excel 2003 version with excel 2002 and 2000 on a netw.
We have 5 computers on a network and want to use different versions of excel and access. Will this work or do we need to have all of the same versions on each computer. All versions of Excel from XL97 have same file format. This is NOT so with Access, someone with an older version may have trouble opening a file make under a newer version. For details contact an Access newsgroup. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "cct" <cct@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A30C0517-AC63-4EE6-9E64-669E2F7D8389@microsof...

Can't login to Passport w/2004
Up until today my Money 2004 has been working fine. Now when attempting to start Money I get the following error: "The sign-in attempt for (user email) was unsuccessful. Please try your sign-in name and password again." I am able to sign in to the Passport in IE with no problem. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I also had this problem. It resolved when I logged out of passport within IE then signed in on money. Good luck. "Hopson Arceneaux" <hopson@eatel.net> wrote in message news:035c01c4acc8$f9969ad0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Up until today my Money 2004 ...

How can I hide my deleted emails from my inbox window?
When I delete email messages they still appear in my inbox window with a line through them. How can I change the view so that only my new and/or undeleted messages appear in my inbox? Outlook version? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "AznEyz16" <AznEyz16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B2DCD18-A699-46AD-AEBB-A244D2F4B395@microsoft.com... > When I delete email messages they still appear in my inbox wi...

Exporting a Purchase Order to Excel from SO Manager
When I try to export a PO from SO Manager in Excel format, it produces a blank worksheet. Does anyone know why this should be? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0056_01CA32DB.3593B660 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Gerry, Seems to work fine with 2.0.126. What version are you on? Are you selecting a valid .xsl template? --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software Search this newsgroup -- http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w (Stolen from DRS) =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

excel xp will not launch
When I try to launch Excel 2002, nothing happens. Was working before, now not at all. Other Office Suite products work fine. Tried removing *.xlb files but no luck..Any suggestions appreciated. Try Excel troubleshooting (probably the regedit): http://www.officearticles.com/excel/troubleshooting_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "DeanLeaf" <deanleaf@deanleaf.com> wrote in message news:O4YlLDP5FHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > When I try to launch Excel 2002, nothing happens. Was working before, now > not at all. Other Office Su...

New excel workbook columns are reversed (Z-A). Row #'s on right s
We need help. One of our employees opens there excel program. The new workbook opens and the columns are reversed. They start with A and go to A. The row numbers are on the right side of the page and not the left and the sheet 1, sheet 2, sheet 3 that are usually on the bottom left are now on the right. Is thsi something simple or has the program become corrupt???? Help!!!! We need help. One of our employees opens their excel program. The new workbook opens and the columns are reversed. They start with Z and go to A. The row numbers are on the right side of the page and not t...

Can't Send HTML Form Reply
I received an HTML form from Staples to update my information, however, when I click the [Submit] button, I get a message saying my security settings won't allow it. What security settings? -- Larry Bohen www.audiobooksonline.com outlook's security settings. If you open the message and choose View, View in internet zone it should work... however, if the information you are updating at staples is anything that could be used by scammers, you should go to the staples site and correct the information. A favorite trick of scammers is sending out this messages to trick you into giving o...

How do I link excel to word so excel changes appear in word?
I have to write a word document in my submittals and some of what I d in excel I have to hand type into word. Is there a way I can typ something like "The total cost is $345,897" and have the number chang if my excel pricing changes so I don't have to keep changing the number in the word document? I know you can paste tables you make in excel into word, but what need is to beable to link a cell in excel to the middle of a sentenc in word -- caliskie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- caliskier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

Excel 2003 Charts #2
Possible bug in Excel 2003. Trying to chart Funds spent to date for each account. We have 3 colums (spent to date, Total available to spend and % of Total Spent). Instead of charting % of total spent, it appears Excel is adding the Spent to date and Total Value columns and charting that in the Stacked bar chart. Anyone have input for usign the stacked bar charts? Thanks much. Reply to this post with a sample of your data pasted into the message (i.e., no attachment). I've been using Excel 2003 since, well, 2003, and I've never noticed such an issue. - Jon ------- Jon...

excel for analysis
Hi, Please how may i use excel for analysis as in SPSS package.Otherwise which package works best for statistical analysis. "ARTERIES4U" <olanrewaju.hassan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:33c41285-1501-492f-b75d-72f2fa64218f@e7g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Please how may i use excel for analysis as in SPSS package.Otherwise > which package works > > best for statistical analysis. Which SPSS Package? If it's PASW (formerly Clementine) you can use your excel spreadsheet as a source node, then analyse using the full power ...

Can't send attachments
I am on Exch 2000 SP3, using Outlook 2002 as a client One of my (remote) users, connecting via our VPN and using a MAPI client, can send emails with no problem, but when he sends one with an attachment (of any kind), he gets the "Network Problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft Exchange computer" error. I see no loss of connection, and he does NOT have to log back on to the VPN to receive emails, send new ones, etc. Any ideas ? I guess that there is not enough bandwidth on the link and connection just times out when moving attachment. See if you can copy attachment ...

Dynamic background image in Excel?
In Excel 2003, one can add a background picture to an Excel chart by selecting... Format plot area... Fill effects... Picture Tab... Selct Picture... Is it possible to make the image (picture) acquisition a dynamic process so that the image will refresh (update) each time Excel opens or perhaps when a macro is run? The path and file name will be static, but the image will be new each day. If the solution is to construct a macro, I can do that, but I was curious if there is a better way to address this. Any thoughts? Thanks! Cheers, J You are correct, it will require...

Can't contact LDAP Directory server
I am using Outlook XP and Windows XP Home. How do I get the fix for this error: "Can't contact LDAP Directory server". ...

How do I delite empty workbooks in Excel
Would anybody please explain how to delite empty & non emoty workbooks ! To delete an empty sheet 1 Select the sheet tab and press the right mouse button. 2 Select Delete. To delete non empty sheets, follow the above instruction, please ensure that you have taken a backup prior to delete, as you may not be able to bring sheets deleted n error. HTH "alexguzvica" wrote: > Would anybody please explain how to delite empty & non emoty workbooks ! Workbooks are saved as a file. Open Windows Explorer, find the files and delete them. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 18 ...

Convert EXCEL to ACCESS
:confused: How can I get my 300 worksheets to convert to ACCESS withou using the HTML option (it wont work for large files).Any ones assitanc with this would be greatly appreciated -- marctuppe Posted via http://ms-os.com Forum to Usenet gatewa Within Access: Table>New>Import Table or File>GetExternalData>Import Both methods activate a wizard to walk you through the necessary steps Default is 1 sheet = 1 table, but you may be able to append identically structured sheets to a single table during import. If not, you can do it after they are imported. HTH, -- George ...

Excel 2003 locks up after startup
Excel 2003 Windows XP Pro SP 2 My Excel 2003 won't allow me to open a spreadsheet and use it. Here's the scenario: 1) Launch Excel 2003 2) Select spreadsheet to Open via File>Open>browse 3) Once the spreadsheet is open the FIRST click for a tab at the bottom or anyplace into the current spreadsheet locks up Excel. The only way out is to utilize Task Manager and abnormally end the application. I've logged off and logged back on and the issue is still there. Any ideas? I've done an virus scan and I'm seeing nothing. (McAfee online). TIA Try repeating your scenar...

Not sure why this code isn't working
Hello, I have a subform in Access 2003 with these fields, type of day, OLPEndDate, OLPBeginDate. At the end of each row, I want to calculate the total day taken for that particular vacation request, so if a person took 12/1/2009-12/2/2009 then the last field "TotalOLPTaken" should calculate as 1. What's happening is that it does calculate but all of the rows calculate to the same number. If I put the cursor in the second row and that row happens to have 12/4/2009-12/6/2009, then even the row with 12/1-12/2 calculates as 2. Then if I put the cursor back in the fi...

Need to calculate percent from multiple criteria
I need help to write a complex formula and would greatly appreciate help from an Excel expert. I have several worksheets setup for each account; these worksheets are a report that is given to the account to represent the status of our service. I also have 2 other worksheets (which are lists) to enter account data regarding our service. Sheet 1 contains 1 row of data per account. Sheet 2 contains issues for accounts and may contain 1 to many rows for an account. Account worksheet: The Account Name, Account # are in cells a1 and a2, respectively. In column C, rows 10 thru 15, I need to calc...

Can I divide amount from a single transaction?
Hello. I would like to ask if I can divide amount from one transaction. Let's say that I deposited total of $200 into checking account at bank. The $100 is cash, the other $100 is my paper paycheck. On MS Money screen, it shows "$200" as a single transaction. Can I make this into two transaction, so I can categorize them separately? Thanks. Kay, Set up a new account within Money and set its type to "Cash" (i.e. not a bank account). This cash account is where you will create the $100 paycheck transaction. This account would also include a transaction correspondi...

Excell 2007????
Has anyone any insight on changes to the charting options in Excel 2007? What I have found emphasizes integrating the excel charting with word and powerpoint and fancy chart themes. But there's nothing on any new chart types, like boxplots or things like scatterplot data labels. I know we can download the beta, but I'm afraid of what it might do to my existing version of office.. Gary: Here's an article by Stephen Few on Excel 12. http://www.b-eye-network.com/view/2818 Stephen's point is that Microsoft has missed a big opportunity. Kelly ...koday@processtrends.com ...