not equal to symbol in excel

What is the symbol for not equal to in excel
0
Amit1 (33)

Hi

<>

Arvi Laanemets

"amit" <amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the symbol for not equal to in excel

I disagree.  Those symbols mean less than and greater than.
Go to your Insert dropdown menu-->Symbol ≠...this is the equal sign with a
slash through it.  When you click on it, the "Code" or "definition" will show
up on the left side of the box.

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote:

> Hi
>

> <>
>

> Arvi Laanemets
>

> "amit" <amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What is the symbol for not equal to in excel

Interpretation is the problem here, as I see it.

For purposes of calculation operations the comparison operator <> means not
equal.

For purposes of "Symbol" the slashed = sign is correct.

All depends upon what OP was referring to.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:22:02 -0800, "Armadillow"
<Armadillow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I disagree.  Those symbols mean less than and greater than.
>Go to your Insert dropdown menu-->Symbol ?...this is the equal sign with a
>slash through it.  When you click on it, the "Code" or "definition" will show
>up on the left side of the box.
>
>"Arvi Laanemets" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> <>
>>

>> Arvi Laanemets
>>

>> "amit" <amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What is the symbol for not equal to in excel

0
Gord
12/4/2005 7:45:55 PM
Ive always used the NOT(A1=B1) function, as the <> does not work for me
either.

"Armadillow" <Armadillow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I disagree.  Those symbols mean less than and greater than.
> Go to your Insert dropdown menu-->Symbol ?...this is the equal sign with a
> slash through it.  When you click on it, the "Code" or "definition" will
> show
> up on the left side of the box.
>
> "Arvi Laanemets" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> <>
>>

>> Arvi Laanemets
>>

>> "amit" <amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What is the symbol for not equal to in excel

0
Adam
12/4/2005 7:47:52 PM
Gotta.  I mispoke.   All depends upon what OP was referring to.  Thanks for
the addittional information.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Interpretation is the problem here, as I see it.
>
> For purposes of calculation operations the comparison operator <> means not
> equal.
>
> For purposes of "Symbol" the slashed = sign is correct.
>
> All depends upon what OP was referring to.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:22:02 -0800, "Armadillow"
> <Armadillow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I disagree.  Those symbols mean less than and greater than.
> >Go to your Insert dropdown menu-->Symbol ?...this is the equal sign with a
> >slash through it.  When you click on it, the "Code" or "definition" will show
> >up on the left side of the box.
> >
> >"Arvi Laanemets" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>

> >> <>
> >>

> >> Arvi Laanemets
> >>

> >> "amit" <amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I don't know which version of Excel you have, but <> has always worked for me.

--
Regards,
Fred

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message
> Ive always used the NOT(A1=B1) function, as the <> does not work for me
> either.
>

> "Armadillow" <Armadillow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I disagree.  Those symbols mean less than and greater than.
>> Go to your Insert dropdown menu-->Symbol ?...this is the equal sign with a
>> slash through it.  When you click on it, the "Code" or "definition" will show
>> up on the left side of the box.
>>
>> "Arvi Laanemets" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>

>>> <>
>>>

>>> Arvi Laanemets
>>>

>>> "amit" <amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
fredsmith99 (155)

Duplicate Stock Symbols in Portfolio
Any Fellow User: I own MS Money 2004. I set up a Portfolio with several mutual funds with there respective symbols for easy price download. Unfortunately, I have two identical funds (one of which is an IRA). MS Money will only allow me to enter one of the funds with its respective symbol. When I try to enter the IRA fund it tells me the symbol is already being used. Anybody have any ideas...certainly not the end of the world. I just update the IRA fund manually as oppossed to on-line. Thanks, Art See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q59 -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - M...

Growing Total using Autofilter in Excel?
Hello, I have a spreadsheet i am working on in Excel 2002. I have a ton of data which i am sorting to date using AutoFilter, which is working fine. when the data is not filtered i have a rolling total which adds up the whole thing like this. a b 1 100 100 2 100 200 3 150 350 but when i use the filter i see the larger totals in the list (which i understand) What i want is the same thing in a new column, but for only the current data from the view. example a b ~ 7 150 150 8 100 250 9 200 450 I have tried using sum and subtotal but it doesnt allow + example: =sum(b7+a8) and =subtotal(9,b7+a8...

Excel Limitations??
Hi, I'm currently running Excel 2002 on a XP Pro system with a Pentium 4 (dual CPU) 3.20 GHz with 2.00 GB of RAM. I have a large spreadsheet which evaluates live stock quotations. I'm currently receiving about 250,000 quotes via RTD links. When I attempted to view more data (up to 300,000) I started to notice an increased slow down in performance. Here are some of my stats via Task manager: avg 50-65% CPU PF Usage: 644 MB Totals Handles: 15407 Threads: 540 Processes: 44 Commit Charge Total: 659320 Limit: 6133412 Peak: 939716 Physical Memory (K) Total: 2095780 Available: 12...

pop up messagein excel
Hi All, I want to know how to pop up a message in excel worksheet after a certain date in a column is expired? Also I would like to know if the message can be made to pop 15 days earlier. Thanks in advance, Lakshmi That sounds like a job for a macro - which is beyond my capabilities. A simple workaround soloution could be to use 'conditional formatting'. Have the cell formatted so that is turn amber if the date is coming up and red if the date is current or passed? Hopefully that helps? Carl. "laksrao" <laksrao@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Print Spreadsheet to PDF file with Excel 1997
Hi, A server has Excel 1997 installed and cannot be upgraded for compatibility reason. I need to automated a process to create a PDF file (with a printer driver). The printer driver need the parameter "Print to file name" (PrToFileName). It seem that the printout function does not have that parameter in Excel 1997. Is there any way I can do it? Thanks, The best approach may depend on the printer driver itself (is it Adobe, and if so what version, etc.). However, there is a simple solution that I used back when I was on 97 and (I think) Adobe 4(?). I couldn...

#N/A
When VLOOKUP ing from a database to retrieve info from a pivot table I keep getting many #N/A errors as there is no data in the pivot table. I have tried to suppress it with ERROR.TYPE and IF statements but no joy. Can anyone advise another formula? Thanks "Paul" <pjaggard@aco.co.uk> wrote in message news:100e01c38bfb$161dcdd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When VLOOKUP ing from a database to retrieve info from a > pivot table I keep getting many #N/A errors as there is no > data in the pivot table. > > I have tried to suppress it with ERROR.TYPE and IF > statem...

vba in excel 2000 v 1997
Can anyone help? I have developed an Excel worjksheet running a number of macros an functions using VBA. This was complied in Excel 2000 for XP, but whe users using Excel 97 on NT try to open the file it crashes. I thin this is something to do with the VB. Does anyone know how to stop this happening ? I have tried saving m file as Excel 97 but it still happens! All advice gratefully received. Does anyone know about a converto that maybe available? Thanks Scott -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried commenting out all the routines bar one and then opening the ...

If two cells don't equal each other, notify; if they do equal each other, do a "sum"
I'm building a quoting tool for my sales organization and I want to make sure I'm using the most recent pricelist. My operations group sends out a spreadsheet with the most recent pricing that I save to a specific location. Then I have a worksheet in my quoter workbook that syncs with what operations sends when I do a "refresh all". There is a unique identifier in the pricelist that identifies it as the most recent version. What I want to do is compare the identifier in the worksheet called "Database" against the identifier in the pricelist and if they're no...

counting the number of equal rows
hi there, my problem is the following: i have a worksheet with about 8000 rows and 200 columns. i have to find out the row (that has 200 fields) which exists the most within the 8000. so i thought excel ought to take the first row e.g. and compare it to the second, the third and so on. after comparing the row with the last one there should be a counter saying that my "sample-row" is there xx times. then it should take the second row, compare it to the rest and so forth. is it possible to tell excel to do as described? plz excuse my really bad english, it's been a while... ;) ...

lock formula in excel
Is it possible to lock a formula in Excel so that it cannot be changed, but still allow the cell content to be changed? A cell can contain a formula or a value. If you type in that value, then you've lost the formula. Are you saying you want to let the user override the results of the formula, but not use a different formula? If yes, then how about an alternative: Use 3 cells (say A2, B2 and C2): Put your formula in A2 (with the label Default in A1) put the label Override in B1 Then use a formula in C2: =if(b2="",a2,b2) And put "Use this Value" in C1. Then lock ...

showing symbols on a two axis chart
I have the table below as the result of other sheets. a b average formula seg 1 3.7 3.5 3.6 3 seg 2 2.1 3.0 2.6 2 seg 3 2.6 2.0 2.3 2 seg 4 4.6 3.0 3.8 3 seg 5 3.0 4.0 3.5 3 seg 6 2.3 4.0 3.2 2 the formula column just shows the result of a simple IF formula I want to show on a chart that reflect the number in the formula column and shows a symbol where the two axis meet i.e seg 3 shows a star where "a" 2.6 meets "b" 2.0. Can any one help please. Thanks Tony Tony - I'm not certain, but I think you want a scatter chart. Select the range of "a" a...

Symbol LS9208 moving control problem
Hello Everyone ------------------------------------- I bought a symbol ls9208 scanner, but I am facing problem with its programming. Everytime I scan the barcode I have to press enter key 5 times to move to the next line. Any easy fix for this problem. Regards Amit ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/ Tax and Accounting Software Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - microsoft.public.pos - 40742 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------## If you should ...

Checking a Check Box in Excel
How do I check a check box in Excel. I need to know what to put in Private Sub CheckBox1_Click() 'this bit here' End Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Private Sub CheckBox1_Click() if checkbox1.Value = True then msgbox "box is checked" else msgbox "box is not checked" End if End Sub -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Frenchie" <Frenchie.yhnem@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Frenchie.yhnem@excelforum-nospam.com... > How do I check a check box in Excel. I need to know what to put in > > Private Sub CheckBox1_...

Insert a 'tick' symbol???
Does anyone know an easy way to insert a tick into a cell? Ideally i don't want to use an image, bitmap, gif or whatever - is there an easier way? I usually work with Times New Roman or Ariel font and would like to operate with this if possible. Many thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If "tick" = "check mark", then what you can do is hold down the ALT key and type 0252 on your numeric keypad. Then format as Wingdings. Or, you can also create a toolbar icon that automatically inserts check marks when you click it. For details on this,...

Unresolved symbols when trying to use delayload
I have an executable that I am building using MS visual Studio C++ version 6.0, which I want to load a dll only when needed and not at startup time. When I try to link with the deyload option I get the following error: libcscentera.lib(libcscentera.dll) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___delayLoadHelper@8 My link options to my executable are as follows: ..... libcscentera.lib" /subsystem:console /incremental:yes /pdb:".\x86\coolsrvr\Debug/axssrvr.pdb" /debug /machine:I386 /nodefaultlib:"libc.lib" /nodefaultlib:"libcmt.lib" /nodefaultlib:&quo...

file lock with excel when file, close workbook instead of exiting Excel completly
Ok we have some excel files that get locked. Consist on a Win2k3 share. Basically a user will open them up in Excel and then use File, Close but keep excel 2003 open. So the file is closed! Now another user tries to open the file but gets file is open by user open as read only. The first user must completly exit excel and then the file becomes available. I have done searches and can't find anything this specific. Please anyhelp would be great. Jamie Hi, May be cache problem, i don't now. But if you want , more than one user at the same time; Open Excel File, Tools --...

Excel 2000
How do I sort dates in a column, as no matter what I try nothing chnages in either ascending or descending order. TIA Are you selecting the area where the data is before you try sorting it? "h" <henryn@gri.co.uk> wrote in message news:0d7601c3722f$64ef4e60$a601280a@phx.gbl... : How do I sort dates in a column, as no matter what I try : nothing chnages in either ascending or descending order. : TIA ...

Excel Automation Question
I am trying to open an Excel spreadsheet in VB 2008 using automation. Once the spreadsheet is opened, I want to modify it, and force a recalculation. The auto calc function is disabled. I can opene the spreadsheet and modify it successfully. When I try to get it to recalculate, all the cells with formulas show this: #Name? Thanks for your help. My sample code follows: Imports Excel = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel Public Class frmExcel Dim objExcel As Excel.Application Dim objBook As Excel._Workbook Dim objBooks As Excel.Workbooks Dim objSheets As Exc...

Concatenation not working in Excel 2003
I have two fields that I am trying to concatenate. When I use th concatenate function: =CONCATENATE(F2,E2), it does not show the tw concatenated fields it only shows the function. The same thing happen when I do =F2& " " &E2. I have tried this with several different worksheets and none of the are working. Any suggestions before I pull my hair out. Thanks Gretchen : -- gschose ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gschoser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1545 View this thread: http://www...

which excel for win98SE?
I am running win98SE, with no excel or office products. And, there are some excel spreadsheets that I would like to run. I imagine that the best would be to download excel? Is that excel 97? Do I need to get all office, or can I just get excel? Where can I get it? regards, bill Hi Excel 97 - Excel 2003 should run without a problem. You can get a standalone Excel. For old versions you may look into ebay -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:b28f01c499ad$87d60a80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am ...

where not equal
SQL 2005 Seems like this should be easy . . . I need to exclude all records where ID = AB AND State = CA. RecordID ID State 1 AB CA 2 AB TX 3 CD CA This is what I have: Select RecordID, ID, State From Table Where ID <> AB AND State <> CA I should only see RecordID = 2 and RecordID = 3. Instead I don't see any records because it exludes ...

How do I insert a dot leader in Excel?
I want to type a brief description in a cell and insert a dot leader to the next cell which contains a money amount. Hi Karen. I think you will just have to do that manually like this:- qtwt . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . I am not aware that there is any other way to do it. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Karen" wrote: > I want to type a brief description in a cell and insert a dot leader to the > next cell which contains a money amount. right click the cell / Format Cell / Custom in the box, enter @*. now whatever you ...

I'm unable to change font size on a excell sheet
I receive an email with a chart that allows me to enter info in a specific area. I received this a couple of years ago. Now I want to change the font size but am unable to. I have unrestricted access to it, Steve "Unable" means what? Please tell us what happens when you try to change font size in the specufic area. Error message? Any change you make reverts to previous font size? Do you have any event code running that would prevent the change? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:00:01 -0800, Steve <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Excel v. X for Mac: .CSV files
Hi there, I cannot seem to open any .csv files in Excel for Mac. I have trie translating the file using MacLink Deluxe but it is still no recognized by Excel. Also, when I try to translate using MacLink, i is initially recognizing the file as a "PC Text File" and there is n option in MacLink under Spreadsheet to convert to Excel X, only olde versions of Excel for Mac. Please help! Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com What is the source of these files? XL v.X is able to open .csv files natively - it doesn't need any translation. Did you try openin...

Equal sign button on formula bar gone?