Not all of the text is visible when looking at the cell.

Not all of the text in a cell appears when looking at the cell unless I
double click the cell or look at the formula bar.  Autofit the row height is
on and shows a lot of white space. No special styles are applied. Wrap text
is on. Cell number is formatted as normal but have tried it as text also.
0
Jane (133)

It's an Excel limitation:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211580

--
Jim
"Jane" <Jane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Not all of the text in a cell appears when looking at the cell unless I
| double click the cell or look at the formula bar.  Autofit the row height
is
| on and shows a lot of white space. No special styles are applied. Wrap
text
| is on. Cell number is formatted as normal but have tried it as text also.

0
jrrech (1933)
8/17/2005 8:17:40 PM
If you add alt-enters every 80-100 characters, you'll be able to see lots more
characters.

Jane wrote:

> Not all of the text in a cell appears when looking at the cell unless I
> double click the cell or look at the formula bar.  Autofit the row height is
> on and shows a lot of white space. No special styles are applied. Wrap text
> is on. Cell number is formatted as normal but have tried it as text also.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> It's an Excel limitation:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211580
>
> --
> Jim
> "Jane" <Jane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Not all of the text in a cell appears when looking at the cell unless I
> | double click the cell or look at the formula bar.  Autofit the row height
> is
> | on and shows a lot of white space. No special styles are applied. Wrap
> text
> | is on. Cell number is formatted as normal but have tried it as text also.

0
Jane (133)
8/18/2005 12:49:33 PM
Dave,

Thanks but when I tried this the whole text only showed until I left the
cell, then the display reverted to the Excel limit of 1024 characters
displayed in a cell (a previous reply gave me that answer).  Double clicking
on the cell will show the entire contents (learned this by accident) also but
once again, when you leave the cell it reverts to the 1024 limit.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> If you add alt-enters every 80-100 characters, you'll be able to see lots more
> characters.
>
> Jane wrote:
> >
> > Not all of the text in a cell appears when looking at the cell unless I
> > double click the cell or look at the formula bar.  Autofit the row height is
> > on and shows a lot of white space. No special styles are applied. Wrap text
> > is on. Cell number is formatted as normal but have tried it as text also.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Jane (133)
8/18/2005 12:56:19 PM
I've never seen excel behave this way.

After I've added lots of alt-enters, I could see lots of characters.

I tried it this way:

I put this formula in A1:
="yyy"&CHAR(10)&REPT(REPT("asdf ",40)&CHAR(10),30)&"xxx"
(edit|copy, edit|paste special|values if you want)
turn wrap text on.

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I could see over 6000
characters.

--

Dave Peterson
0

TEXT = text

Sorting by last 3 digits in cell
I need to sort columns using the last 3 digits of a number not the first digits. How do I do this? Thanks for your help. Hi, Try adding a helper column (B) and use =RIGHT(A1,3) and fill down, then click any cell within column B and sort. Harry "britten funk" wrote: > I need to sort columns using the last 3 digits of a number > not the first digits. How do I do this? Thanks for your > help. > I'd use a formula like: =mod(a1,1000) To keep them numbers (not text) Or modify Harry's formula to: =--RIGHT(A1,3) britten funk wrote: > > I need ...

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Run-time error 3101 : Access is looking for a table that doesn't e
Error says: Run-time error '3101': The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find a record in the table 'Employee' with key matching field(s) 'Employee_ID'. A Google search showed that the 3101 error is a broken join, but the join in the combo box points to QryEmployee and OBR_Employees. This problem happens when I try and select an employee name from the combo box after I go to a new record. It doesn't happen any other time. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here? ...

linknig cells
How can I have link two cells from different woksheets? ...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Format cell for negative
Hi I want the value that i type into a cell always to be negative thanks Hi, You need to adjust the format of the cell - this one for instance: -* #,##0_-;-* #,##0_-;_-* "-"_-;_-@_- Notice that the format starts with "-". Go to Format->Cells->Number and paste this format in the custom part. Cheers, Jon "es" wrote: > Hi > I want the value that i type into a cell always to be > negative > > thanks > Is there a specific Cell or range of cells on your worksheet that you want this? Or any and all cells on any Worksheet? "e...

Null in text box

Web Query For Single cells in Spreadsheet
I have a web page that I created with exceleverywhere and would like to import the data into an excel file via web query. The problem is that the web query function in excel 2003 only allows me to import tables, and not single cells. How would I go about selecting just the cells that have the updated data to import? Thanks You could import what you can to another sheet and then use an indirect formula or macro to get what you need. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "analogkid12" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message news:YUMjc.1397$kp.49445@attbi_s52...

Re: Using Text Styles

RE: How do I: enter a checkmark symbol in a cell by clicking on i
hi, Column D2:I1301. Excel should not allow more than 3 ticks for a particular E.No. Regards, Jimmy Hi Jimmy: Specifically, what columns do you want the user to be able to enter checkmarks. -- Gary's Student ...

Blank cells in line charts
I have my tables which are reguarly added too but it is a pain going through the 20 odd charts updating the data range. What i'd like to do is just select a huge area for the data range so i don't have to touch it again and the charts would auto update. The problem is i have told it to ignore blank cells but it still creates them on the chart space. Is there any way to select a heap of cells but have it completely ignore the empty ones until there is data entered in them. -- bluenose ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bluenose's Profile:...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

city, state, zip from a single cell to multiple cells
I have been given a spreadsheet with city, state and zip all in the same cell. Is there a way to split the city, state and zip into three seperate cells? I have a large data base and do not want to do each one at a time. have a look at selecting the column>data>text to columns> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "wjs2002" <wjs2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1826DE1F-C1B5-432A-99E5-53AEE432A5C9@microsoft.com... > I have been given a spreadsheet with city, state and zip all in the same > cell. Is there a way to split the ci...