newbie needs help with data storage

Hi, i have a problem which i am sure you can help me with..    i have
written a spreadsheet which decides which horses to bet on in a race.
one minute before the race a set of data is imported into the sheet and
one two or more horses are picked.   then one minute before the next
race usually ten minutes later a new set of data is imported and the
process begins again deleting all the info from the last race and
replacing it with the new .  now what i want to be able to do is store
the name of the horse which appears in say cell a1 or a2 or a3 from the
first race in order to use it to establish the stake for the next race.

in other words i want to be able to save the data from a cell that is
constantly changing and maybe put it into a list which i can then use
to change other cells.  and all this has top be performed without
interaction from me, any suggestions?   thanks in advance

--
mrclox
mrclox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29011

Need help with http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212686
I am trying to use the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212686 to increment an Invoice number automatically. I am confused about where they want me to put the code. They make refference to storing the code in a "Protected form template" I don't know what this is. Can someone please help Thanks That's for Word isn't it. Try John's solution at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "John" <anywhere@s.com> wrote in message news:OwiWKS0pFHA.1948@...

subforms data not saving
I created a subform from the wizard. When I enter data into the subform and information does not store. Please help On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:31:02 -0700, ldydi <ldydi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I created a subform from the wizard. When I enter data into the subform and >information does not store. Please help Correct the error in your subform. Since we cannot see it, and have no idea how it is set up, nobody here can help! Please post the Subform's Recordsource property; if it's a table, post some fieldnames; if it's a Query please post the query...

Newbie, accnts. payable & accnts.receivable sample DB
Hi guys, I�m running access 2003, windows xp pro SP2 I've been commission in my work to do a small application to track and report the accounts payable and accounts receivable movements, I'm not an accounting savvy person :(, does anyone know of a link or sample access database that can help me with the basic structure of the tables and reports?, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

I need help to display a dialog from a resource-only DLL
Hi, I created a resource-only Dll to store string, dialog, icon and bitmap. With loadstring function i can load a string from this dll, but i don't know how dipslay a dialog from it. here is my code : UINT CDataResource::GetResourceDialog(int ResourceID) { // load resource LPCDLGTEMPLATE lpDialogTemplate = NULL; HGLOBAL hDialogTemplate = NULL; HINSTANCE hInst = AfxFindResourceHandle(MAKEINTRESOURCE(ResourceID), RT_DIALOG); HRSRC hResource = ::FindResource(hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(ResourceID), RT_DIALOG); hDialogTemplate = LoadResource(hInst, hResource); if (hDialogTemplate != NULL) ...

Help needed in print
hi I am displaying lot of labels and progress bars in side form view. I want to print all the label and progress bar as it looks in the form view. thanks in advance with regards Harish Harish, You might be interested in Joe Newcomber's site, here: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Bitmap%20series where you'll find code for screen copying and bitmap printing. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Harish" <harish.k at sify.com> a �crit dans le message de news:OCcSb3u5DHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > hi > > I am displaying lot of labels and progress...

importing data from webpage and using it.....
Hello, I am trying to import information from my verizon cell phone bill which u can look at online. The import procedure works fine just copying and pasting. It puts the separates the data into columns properly. The big thing tho is in the time column I want to be able to use that as a time.... not text. Excel doesn't see it that way. Even if I type timevalue(C2) where C2 is a cell containing the time it gives me #value So how do I convert it to a time. I did notice that there is no space between that time and AM or PM (ie: 08:00PM) so I tried a substitute function and added a ...

Visio Newbie
Hello all, this is my first time using Visio for drawing a floor plan and I have a quick question. Yesterday, (Using a tape measure) I mapped out the floor plan of an office my company might be moving into. I wrote everything down in Inches. Is there a way once I get a room shape kinda close to teh measurements, that I can manually type in teh length for each wall? if not in inches, at least in feet. For example, I have one wall that is 154 inches ( 12.83 ft) Then the next wall is 242 incehs( 20.1 ft) The opposite wall of the first measurement is 288 inches, third wall 100 inches, then 13...

C++ / Access Newbie
Hi Folks... I have a small commercial package written in C++ (targeted to Windows platforms) that uses its own proprietary database. We are just starting to investigate the option of replacing our database with a commercial package, such as Access or MySQL. Can anyone recommend informative reading that provides details on programming C++ with either of these two databases? At this stage we have no (any I mean ZERO) experience such programming. Any information would be helpful: recommendations for Access over MySQL (or vice versa), sources of such comparisons, licensing considerations, OD...

Exchange newbie problem
Hi all; A user on our domain was deleted when he should not have been. His mail box was not deleted. When his account was recreated, we tried to reconnect the old mailbox. But when selecting a user in the "Select a new user for this mailbox" dialog a message comes back saying that the user cannot be found. We tried several different users a none can be found even though they can get there mail just fine. We need to get the messages from this mailbox. Any ideas would be great -- Craig in the High Desert. craig@craignet.com But it's a dry heat. you should be able to reconnec...

parse data from text field
I currently have a field in a form that contains the exact path to files stored on my computer (ex. C:\file1\file2\file3\samplefile.doc). The path to the file is different for most of the files. I have changed some things in the database and I would like to parse just the file name and extension (ex. samplefile.doc). I have tried the Mid, Left, Right, and InStr functions but I have not been able to get the desired data. Any help with code to parse the data correctly would be appreciated. The names of files are not equal in length. Thank you accessuser1308, You kinda ...

Jscript Assistance Needed
Hi We need to auto calculate what percentage of the damaged amount has been recovered.We manually calculated that the field named Percentage equals the Recovered Amount divided by the Damaged Amount multiplied by 100. We wrote the following Jscript; crmForm.all.new_percentage.DataValue = crmForm.all.new_recoveredamount.DataValue / crmForm.all.new_damagesamount.DataValue * 100 to do this for us. After using the OnSave event, we continue to receive an error stating that ' This control only accepts strings or null as an input'. I am not sure where I am going wrong and would real...

Freight allocation to Inventory cost
Landed cost does not work for our company. We need the ability to apply an average Freight cost or a percentage to every item in inventory at the time it is received in. The cost could be applied by the weight of the product or a simple % increase. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

Data Validation problem #5
hi I think that is a different solution entirely - in that example yo gave me it is a simple case of choosing one list and that then sets th range for list 2, however the second set of lists are all individual my requirement is that the validation picks the required items out o just ONE list, whereas in the example you needed to maintain individua lists each of which was dependant on the first selection -- moosife ----------------------------------------------------------------------- moosifer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1590 View this threa...

Help with Excel ActiveX listbox controls
Hi! I�m trying to create listboxes that displays data from a named range spanning multiple columns. I am able to populate the listbox with data and use it without any problems. However, if the sheet that contains the listboxes changes, the size/dimensions of the listbox unexpectedly also changes. Since I have not written any procedures that control the height/width properties of the listboxes, I cannot determine why the dimensions of the listboxes are changing. I have attached a spreadsheet that illustrates this problem. When you open the spreadsheet, you should see two listboxes named Lis...

Need help finding the right function, please
The cells in Col A contain one of four values. The cells in Col D contain dates. I want to return the highest date for each of the four values. I'm having a difficult time understanding how the different look up functions work to allow me to get =(MAX(all dates in Cold D where Col A = "x")). The Help files for both LOOKUP and VLOOKUP indicate the values in the column to be searched must be sorted in ascending order. That can't happen in this sheet. I'm stuck with them as they are. A drop-kick in the right direction would be much appreciated!! Ed Try =MAX(IF(A1:A...

newbie
joining the group Hey Newbie where are you from and what versiona re you using? Fliehigh "cthomas23@hotmail.com" wrote: > joining the group > ...

Is it possible to conditionaly format based on the data label?
I've been searching this board to find an answer and all the post (so far) are helpful but they don't quite get me to where I need to be. That said... I have a 3d plain Jane bargraph. The data is linked to cells, and I physically change the graph at the begining of every month( add to the data series). When I add the new data the series points may change but the individual bars do change color. Long story longer...How can I keep the series the same format (keep"defective equipment" for Feb - June blue) through out the graph no matter what changes are made. I wou...

HELP: Sheet embedded comboboxes
Hi all, I am assisting somebody with their excel project and they have a sheet with comboboxes in it. When a value is selected, it populates cells underneath, however when the data is freshly loaded, the cell underneath is given the value but the combobox does not update to this value. I have tried to click on the box to edit it, however no matter how many times i click i cannot seem to get it to recognise i've clicked. In other words, the resizing box does not come up and i have no right-click menu. All i can do is select from the drop down list without any editing of the proper...

Codes needed to update wages
Hi, Column A of Sheet1 holds the identity numbers of about 200 casual members of our staffs. Column F shows their current weekly wages. I need a simple macro that allows me to update the weekly wages for some of these members by 4.5% from a list of their identity numbers shown in Column A of Sheet2. Any help is much appreciated. TIA Tom Here one shot at it: Sub payBoost() Dim lr As Long, sh As Worksheet, rng As Range Dim fRng As Range Set sh = ActiveSheet lr = sh.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row Set rng = sh.Range("A2:A" & lr) Set...

Need expert coding help with a debugging issue.
I've got a piece of code in a form on my front end db that updates a record in a table based on certain criteria. My problem is that this code seems to have a flaw in it that allows multiple instances of this code, running on different machines, to access the exact same record in the table, if the following conditions are met: 1. The code is executed at the exact same time 2. The record being updated in the target table has no current value The table has three fields: Bin Number, Vendor Name, and Count. My problem is that when Vendor Name is empty when the code is run by two users a...

Need to seperate alpha numeric data in a cell
I have a number of cells that contain words and numbers. How can I ge rid of or seperate the numbers form the data. e.g Cell A1 contains - Bridge Terminal 123456 I need to just get 123456 Please note numbers can be anywhere in the data and are differen lengths. Thanks in advance Andre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I think you need a user defined function (UDF) for this. Go to the VB editor, insert a new module and enter the following: Function OnlyNumber(xstrIn) Dim i As Integer Dim strReturn As String For i = 1 To Len(xstrIn) If IsNumeric(Mid(xstrIn, i, 1)) Then st...

need a macro...
hi am i the need of a mactro My requirement is to check whether the review sheets are complete.Certain columns should be filled after review,both by the reviewer and the one whose work is being reviewed. my input is an excel sheet with a column containing the name of the review sheets. My macro should open these sheets one by one and check whether those columns are filled properly,if not indicate by some means. to automate the manual checking whether the review sheets are completely filled... can anyone help in this ...

DPM 2010RC Co-located SQL Data
I have a protection group with co-located data in it, about 7 databases all in the one 10Gb partition, I also have a 1TB databases that I would like to protect. This data changes very little. I would like to set the replica & recovery point values to custom sizes, which DPM lets me do, it even shows the changes in the "Disk space allocated in DPM:" field. But when I finish the modifications the volume size are as per the original with a 2TB recovery point for my almost static data. Any ideas? Hi Zak, When a large database (bigger than approximately 8 GB) is prote...

Help with calculation #3
On sheet2 I have a list of dates where A1 is 01 Jan 2004, A2 is 01 Feb 2004 etc through to 01 Oct 2005, against each date is a column of figures. So A1 is the date and B1 is the volume. On sheet1 I want to have a formula that will calculate the total volume between 2 dates selected by the user, where D7 is the earliest date and D9 is the latest date. So after they have input the dates the volumes between those dates will be totaled and shown in E10.(They will only be able to input dates for the 1st of the month - so as to match the data held on sheet2.)As you appreciate there will be more tha...

Programmable Data Entry & Conditional Formatting
I work as a volunteer for the British Red Cross, I am currently working on developing a Public Events Database for my local office, I have started off using a base that another volunteer built for a different office but it needs to be customised to the needs of the office i am working for, I have done a bit of customiation on it already using my existing skills in regards to access but there are a few things i want to do with the database which i do not know how to do just yet which i will list below. 1. in the Volunteers Form theres a list of 23 certificates a volunteer can h...