Negative number formatting

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to do this? I hve a column of figures
some positive and some negative. I want to format them so taht th
negative numbers are expressed in (brackets) and also so that th
column itself is decimal aligned, so even if I don't use decimal place
the brackets "stick out". I know Word does this in tables, but I can'
seem to make Excel do it. Help! Thanks, Vicky. :confused

--
VickyJone
VickyJones's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2448

How about a custom format of:

#,##0.00_);(#,##0.00);0.00_);@

It uses two decimal spots and whole numbers will be shown like 7.00.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
VickyJone
VickyJones's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2448
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38083

[Fwd: Re: How to not copy the numbering from numbered list in Word ?]
FYI By temporarily disabling the numbers and bullets in word before you copy and paste the text. Then you can simply close the word document (without saving it) so that no changes in the word file are saved. That one time call girl may suggest that you should use Tipex on the screen to remove the numbers!!! You have been warned. hth dingdongdingding wrote: > > Hi ! > I want to copy a numbered list in Word and paste to a text file. > The numbers show up. How do I not copy the numbers preceding the > items ? > > Thanks very much in adv...

Formating Negative Figures in Brackets
Excel 2007 In earlier version of Excel, we could get a specific format for presenting the negative numbers in brackets and / or in red color. I could not find it in the Excel 2007. This can be done in the Custom Format. I do not have specifics for it. Can you give me the format for the same ? Why did the Excel remove this useful and oft needed feature from their new version, or am I missing something ? -- Shrikant The below might be useful http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832285 -- Jacob "Shrikant" wrote: > Excel 2007 > In earlier version of Exc...

column with numbers
Hi! Suppose, I have a two (or several) columns with numbers. I want to analyze two or more columns in a different way, for instance I want to know the growth in percentage and probably have some visual interpretation (i.e. arrow up or down). Is there an Excel plug-in or stand-alone software for this? If anyone expirienced the same problem? I'm going to look for such a software, if one have in mind some other "must-have" features that I missed? Thank you! bob.elliott@aks-labs.com wrote: > Hi! > > Suppose, I have a two (or several) columns with numbers. I want to >...

Custom header numbering
Hi all, I have a question about formatting Header numbering throughout a new document (Word 2007). I'm trying to do the following: Heading 1 1.0 Heading 2 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.0 Heading 3 1.1.1 Heading 3 Heading 1 2.0 Heading 2 2.1 Heading 2 2.1.0 Heading 3 ... So it's an outline numbered / multilevel list, where Heading 1 has no numbering, and Heading 2 restarts numbering after a Heading 1 is used. I haven't been able to figure this one out for myselve. Can anyone help me on this one? Regards, Bert -- Neron Follow the instructions at ...

Negative Allocation
I was attempting to post a batch that contained a transfer. The post failed and I recevied a message that "The serial number does not exist for this item and site". The items were moved from the source site to the destination, but the allcoated quantites in the source site are now negative. Any ideas how to fix this? Have you run the inventory reconcile process? (Utilities - Inventory - Reconcile) "Eric Capponi" wrote: > I was attempting to post a batch that contained a transfer. The post failed > and I recevied a message that "The serial number does not...

Tab formatting
I have a couple of letters that I would like to re-use, but just change the name, date, etc. I used to do this in Word 2000, but not sure how to set this up in Windows 2007. I want the [name] to be "grayed out" and then be allowed to "tab" through to change the gray area content. I used to be able to do this by clicking on the "lock" option in the format menu. Please help! What you are describing is a protected form. You can still access the legacy form fields in Word 2007, but you must first display the Developer tab (Office Button | Word Options |...

making a negative effect
I am trying to switch the black and white color of a tempalte for an invitation from black background white lettering to opposite. any help would be appreciated dctakj <dctakj@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am trying to switch the black and white color of a tempalte for an > invitation from black background white lettering to opposite. any > help would be appreciated Printing this on white paper will be expensive because of the amount of ink used. Printing this in black paper will be (virtually) impossible. Now that's under your belt,...

Changing number to dates
When ever I try to paste the characters 6-16 or 4-14 for example it is displayed as a date. I have tried formatting the cells to read this information as text. it is always overridden and converted to a date. How do I paste this info and have it appear the way that I want? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Hi Craig format the target cells as 'Text' or insert the values with a leading apostrophe (') Frank Craig wrote: > When ever I try to paste the characters 6-16 or 4-14 for example it > is displayed as a date. I have tried formatting the cells to read > this info...

rounding numbers
Can have have a particular spreadsheeet always round numbers upwards. For example, 25.3 would be 26? Thanks for any help On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:14:59 -0500, "Frafi" <frafi@usia.com> wrote: >Can have have a particular spreadsheeet always round numbers upwards. For >example, >25.3 would be 26? >Thanks for any help > Look at HELP for the ROUNDUP and CEILING Worksheet Functions --ron You could use the ROUNDUP function for example if A1 contains 25.3, and B1 contains =ROUNDUP(A1,0) will give 26 That should do the trick regards Neal "Frafi" <frafi@...

how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60kg
I can't seem to find a formula to add a column of numbers that have text, e.g 50kg+60kg+75kg won't add - can anyone help Many thanks Whenever you need to use numbers and text together and also need computations, use custom formatting: Pick an empty cell and pull-down: Format > Cells > Number > Custom and enter General"kg" if you then enter 100 in that cell, it will appear as 100kg, but you can still use it for computations. -- Gary's Student "Bryan" wrote: > I can't seem to find a formula to add a column of numbers that have text, e.g ...

Negative Expenses
I'm using Money 2007 Premium but have had this problem in the last several versions as well. Why is it that if I record a negative expensive, it is not reflected in the reports? An example: Let's say I go out to dinner with a friend. We receive the check and I pay by credit card and my friend pays me with cash to cover his/her part. I record the restaurant in the Food: Dining Out category in my credit card account and then record that I received the cash in my Cash account and classify it as a negative expense to the same category. However, when I view the reports, only the pos...

Help with conditional formatting...
This may sound like a basic question. But I am trying to set up some conditional formatting based on varying text in Excel 2003. I am sorting baseball players and their stats. First I want the cells in the entire row to be one color if they are on a team listed in column B. Second I want it to be a different color if the player is not on a team, but is a batter. And third I want the row to be a different color if the player is a pitcher. Players names are in column A and two other workbooks have the batters and pitchers listed separately. I have named the list of each play...

Superscript in custom format
I have started to use custom formats to display units. For instance when I want a number to display as 24" or 58.2 lbf. I don't know if this is the proper way to do this, but it works great for me. The problem is I want one to display as 28in2 where the 2 is a superscript. Currently I have the output in one cell and the next cell is text "in2" with the "2" superscripted to signify inches squared. I would like a solution where I could combine the two cells into one cell that is still treated as a number when referencing from other cells. Sloth Use cust...

Page numbers in Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I cannot get Insert Page numbers to work in word, in documents elements when I choose Header, in other words, in any format. When I select Insert, etc. I get a grayed button reading "page" instead of the numbers. I even had an email response from Microsoft but their instructions did not correct the problem. They had me put several items in the trash, and finally restart. Nothing worked. It sounds to me like you simply may have toggled the display of Field Codes -- Try keying Option+F9 or go into the Head...

Assign random numbers
Hello everyone I have a table with roughly 40000 records, that gets more records added weekly. From this table my staff work through each record and add a closed date when finalised. The table the staff are working off contains an "Investigated By" field which is linked to the staff members name on a seperate table, the default investigated by name is "Exception". At this point, only one person can work on the records at a time. The amount of records that get added weekly varies and I want to be able to allocate an employees name to each new record so that they show...

messages i receive show html formatting sentences not formatted ht
messages i receive show html formatting sentences not formatted html, so i get lots of html writing and a few words of plain text spaced through the message. How do I get the html formatting to operate. ...

Count number of records after filtering
Hello, Probably a question that's easy to answer but I have been searching for hours now & it's driving me rather crazy: I have applied a filter to a form and now I want to know how many records I have got as a result, or better, I want to know if there are any records left - how do I do that? Tried so far: If Form.Recordset.Count = 0 Then ... If Iserror(Form.RecordSet.Count) Then ... If EOF(Recordset) Then ... but that all does not work. Thanks, Gerwin Gerwin: An easy way is to add a hidden text box, txtCount say, to the form, with a ControlSourc...

Entering Numbers in to cells
Is there a way to get Excel to warn you if you/not allow you to enter number into a cell that is smaller than 0 or greater than 10 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out Data Validation in XL Help (one topic: About setting restrictions on cells and displaying input and error messages) In article <Binkx.10r6hm@excelforum-nospam.com>, Binkx <<Binkx.10r6hm@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > Is there a way to get Excel to warn you if you/not allow you to enter a > number into a cell that is smaller than 0 or greater than 10. data>validation>...

convert number to text #4
How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that cell to force the cell to except the format change. I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from another program is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at templet sheet with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first workbook. To convert number to text, select the area you want to convert, right-click on format cells and choose "text". "RayG" wrote: > How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that cell to > force the cell to ex...

Negative Zero?
Sometimes when I subtract a number from itself, I get a negative zero, rather than a simple zero. Why is this? probably a small diff somewhere in the 15 digits of the number -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Herbert" <Herbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9517F5D9-3A15-4A97-93E1-B442A948E3E0@microsoft.com... > Sometimes when I subtract a number from itself, I get a negative zero, rather > than a simple zero. Why is this? It means that your result is less than zero, but not within the precision you are displaying. For example, ...

number format
hello my numbers are formatted using question marks, so i can center them and still justify them by the decimal point. for ex. a column of numbers with 2345678 being the largest of them, will be formatted with the string: ?,???,??0;-?,???,??0;- this way i can center the column, and all numbers will straighten to the right, by the decimal point. zeros appear as hyphens. the problem is with the minus signs. if on the previous example i will have -2345, it will look like this: - 2,345 (the minus sign away from the digits). any suggestions? i still wish to center the column. if i give this ...

Question about diagram in HTML-format
Hi all. I'm using Visio 2002 prof. I've got the following trouble. I'd like to get an HTML-reflection of my diagrams. On the analogy of Rational Rose I expected to see that a click on a use-case (package and other objects with a diagrams inside) couses jump to an embedded diagram. So I don't see anything similar in Visio. Also I embarrassed by an empty properties brouser in the left of my diagrams in HTML. Is it possible to get what I want from Visio? have you investigated hyperlinks to allow you to move between pages of the diagram?? They are referenced in the available ...

Number of Columns
Dear all, We are using Excel 97, and we need to know if there is possible add more columns than the 256 that already are available from A - IV. We need that because we are exporting data from one aplication to Excel. Thanks a lot. Regards, Pedro Mestre no, 256 is the limit. you may be able to use ms query to 'query' the data source and select only the colums you need, or to build separate queries that return the data over multiple sheets No, 256 is all there are, Regards, Alan. "Pedro Mestre" <PedroMestre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FBBBE2...

Pivot Table
Hi, I have a Pivot table with some numbers in it. Is there a way to replace the numbers with a text? For example: replace all numbers >1 with "yes" . Is this possible? If not whats the best way to achieve this? Regards, Vinstream Only by changing your data source. Eg. Sub Test() Dim rCell As Range For Each rCell In Range("DataSource").Columns _ (2).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlNumbers).Cells If rCell > 1 Then rCell = "yes" Next rCell End Sub "vinstream" <vinstream@gmail.com> wrote in mes...

Determine the number of bits in a negative number
I'd like to determine the number of bits (the position of the highest on bit) in a negative number (say -1) without using knowledge of its type. Valid operations would be AND, OR, XOR, negation, and one's compliment can be done as: 'Get a -1 of the same type as myvar Dim minus1: minus1 = myvar - (myvar + 1) Dim onesComp: onesComp = myvar XOR minus1 You could also use multiplication or division by 2 or other mathematical operators/functions, but then sign extension comes into play. The standard solution is to presume the answer given the type of the variable, but...