need to Copy or Move to active cell from specified range

I may be the last person remaining on earth who still uses the original
Lotus 1-2-3 Rel 1A, which I know and love, on an antique DOS machine.

I've never had a reason to upgrade to a later version of 1-2-3, and
have no idea how it now behaves, but one important feature of Release
1A is that instead of rigidly assuming that Copy or Move will always
refer to the contents of the active cell, /c (or /m) followed by
Backspace frees the cell pointer without changing the active cell.
This means that you can easily perform a "reverse" Copy or Move, by
going to the cell you want copied, and hitting Enter, twice, to place
the contents of the highlighted cell in what has remained the active
cell, without affecting your original screen display.  Or, you can also
"reverse" Copy or Move a multicell range.

I've only recently had to begin using Excel 2000 on a Windows machine,
and can't figure out how to do this same procedure.  I almost never
predesignate a named range for the source information, as it's always
different, so unless I happen to know the source cell coordinates I do
need to move the cell pointer once in any case; but I find it a real
nuisance to then be required to find my way back to the target cell to
complete the procedure.  This is especially true because the target
cell is almost never in the upper left corner of the original display,
and I need to return to the exact same display since nearly all of my
spreadsheets are organized visually into "pages" consisting of
specified rows and columns which I access not with names but simply
with PgUp, PgDn, Tab, and BackTab.  What could be easier than executing
"copy [whatever] HERE", instead of having to go not only to the source
cell, but then being forced to find your way back?

Does anyone know of a way to make Excel do this?

0
kaream (3)

kaream,

You could use two simple macros, which you could assign to commandbar
buttons or do hot-key combinations.  The code is below.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Sub Copy123()
Dim SourceCell As Range
Dim TargetCell As Range

Set TargetCell = Selection
Set SourceCell = Application.InputBox( _
    "Choose the range that you want to copy", Type:=8)
SourceCell.Copy TargetCell
End Sub

Sub Move123()
Dim SourceCell As Range
Dim TargetCell As Range

Set TargetCell = Selection
Set SourceCell = Application.InputBox( _
    "Choose the range that you want to move", Type:=8)
SourceCell.Cut TargetCell
End Sub

"kaream" <kaream@nmia.com> wrote in message
>I may be the last person remaining on earth who still uses the original
> Lotus 1-2-3 Rel 1A, which I know and love, on an antique DOS machine.
>
> I've never had a reason to upgrade to a later version of 1-2-3, and
> have no idea how it now behaves, but one important feature of Release
> 1A is that instead of rigidly assuming that Copy or Move will always
> refer to the contents of the active cell, /c (or /m) followed by
> Backspace frees the cell pointer without changing the active cell.
> This means that you can easily perform a "reverse" Copy or Move, by
> going to the cell you want copied, and hitting Enter, twice, to place
> the contents of the highlighted cell in what has remained the active
> cell, without affecting your original screen display.  Or, you can also
> "reverse" Copy or Move a multicell range.
>
> I've only recently had to begin using Excel 2000 on a Windows machine,
> and can't figure out how to do this same procedure.  I almost never
> predesignate a named range for the source information, as it's always
> different, so unless I happen to know the source cell coordinates I do
> need to move the cell pointer once in any case; but I find it a real
> nuisance to then be required to find my way back to the target cell to
> complete the procedure.  This is especially true because the target
> cell is almost never in the upper left corner of the original display,
> and I need to return to the exact same display since nearly all of my
> spreadsheets are organized visually into "pages" consisting of
> specified rows and columns which I access not with names but simply
> with PgUp, PgDn, Tab, and BackTab.  What could be easier than executing
> "copy [whatever] HERE", instead of having to go not only to the source
> cell, but then being forced to find your way back?
>
> Does anyone know of a way to make Excel do this?

0
Bernie
12/14/2005 2:40:17 AM
Great -- Thanks very much, Bernie.  I was sure there must be some
workaround for this.

0
kaream (3)

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Table Columns/Expanding Cell Width
I was creating my first table in Word 2007. I used Insert->Tables- >Tables. When I typed in text, the column kept expanding and the text did not wrap until it hit the end of the line and the adjacent cells were compacted to their margins. Then I did Table Tools->Auto Fit->Fixed Column Width and the column width stayed the same and wrapped. So now I create a new file and the do a table. Now the column width stayed the same. Not that I would want the initial behavior of columns expanding---why does it no longer appear? ...

Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell, som.
When I use excel to do registration, I enter customers address and want to click and pull down that address into cells below, but when I do the address number increases in value. I can go into auto fill options and change it, but I want it to always select copy cell and default back to it. On this spread sheet. I have some colums that default to copy cells and other colums that when I try to drag a number it increases in value because it defaults to fill series. How do i change this? When you select a single cell that contains a number, then drag the Fill Handle, the default behaviour ...

Macro help needed........

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

Campaign Activity (Email /Email Mail Merge)
Hi, We have a customer that would like to send an email or email via mail merge from campaign activity in the name of the company (from a general email address), instead of sending the email from the user that owns the campaign activity or the user that owns the account/contact/lead. Do you have any idea of how we can do this? Thanks, Regards Rute Dias ...

I need Help

need help badly

In Cell Editing
Hi there: Been using Excel for years but haven't asked this question until now... Could have saved myself a few days likely! Anyway, say I type BACON in a cell and press enter or tab - the focus moves to the cell below. If I arrow back up to the cell that has BACON in it, how do I start editing it without double clicking on it with the mouse? I don't want to delete BACON and start again, I want to edit BACON. After I'm done, I want to eat bacon. haha Thanks Press F2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in ...

Sort range changes during sort
After highlighting the columns and rows I want sorted, I select data and sort. At this point the sort range changes to include the entire row from A to IV of each row I selected. I've searched the options screen and help menu, but don't know why this is happening. Thanks in Advance. This is a complete guess--I couldn't duplicate what happened to you in xl2003. Do you have merged cells in that range? If yes, maybe that's the problem. coffedrinker2003 wrote: > > After highlighting the columns and rows I want sorted, I select data and > sort. At this point the so...

Need Help Despertly!

Cannot copy large folders
I have a two-PC LAN- Desktop with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, 3MB RAM, dual HDs-RAID 1. Laptop with Vista Ultimate 64-bit, 4MB RAM. dual HDs, no RAID. LAN is based on Dlink DIR-655 giga-switch and draft-N wireless router. Both PCs have giga NICs. I treat the desktop as "Home Base." When I travel, I copy (manual drag-and-drop) my personal data to the laptop across the network. If I make changes while on the road, I copy teh data back to the desktop. I keep my personal data lots of folders in the Public Folder on each PC. No problems until now, I have much more data ...

Publishing charts
We are using Excel to manipulate some real time data then publish the updated results every 15 minutes to the Internet. I am publishing charts using Excel's Save as Web Page feature, but then only want to use the images of the charts as an included image in the actual web pages. The images end up with names like "xyz_89654_image001.gif". The "image001.gif" part I don't have a problem with - as long as there is only one image in each subdirectory, that will be it, and the xyz comes from the workbook name. It's the number in the middle that I have real prob...

Ranking range of cell with value only
I am ranking set of numbers (# of days worked) in a 10 cell column but the numbers of persons I rank differs from day to day. If I enter "0"(zero) on one of the cell, it ranks the whole ten cells. I have to enter Zero because that is the number of days worked. How can I enter the value of zero that does not activate the other blank cells? Here is my formula: =IF(ISNA(RANK(B5,$B$5:$B$14,1)),"",RANK(B5,$B$5:$B$14,1)) Thanks. -- cardingtr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cardingtr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.ph...

Find & replace a value in an unknown cell location
Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column - say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known? And also is there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one? You can use MATCH to find where "Mytotal" is located, assuming you know either th...

Plug in needed