Need to add cell comments in unlocked cell on protected worksheet

Using Excel 2002, I have a worksheet that I have "protected" so that only a
certain block of cells can be selected/edited.  Today, I have a new
requirement to be able to add/edit/delete cell comments on those cells that
remain unlocked.  But the options to do so on the cell context menu disappear
when the worksheet is protected, but reappear when the worksheet is
unprotected.
0
dan400man (2)

When you protect the worksheet, scroll down and check "edit objects".

This will allow comments to be added/removed/changed--along with other objects
(pictures/shapes/etc).

--

Dave Peterson
0

Too bad Excel (non-)Help had nothing on the topic.

Thanks for the quick response Dave!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> When you protect the worksheet, scroll down and check "edit objects".
>
> This will allow comments to be added/removed/changed--along with other objects
> (pictures/shapes/etc).
>
> dan400man wrote:
> >
> > Using Excel 2002, I have a worksheet that I have "protected" so that only a
> > certain block of cells can be selected/edited.  Today, I have a new
> > requirement to be able to add/edit/delete cell comments on those cells that
> > remain unlocked.  But the options to do so on the cell context menu disappear
> > when the worksheet is protected, but reappear when the worksheet is
> > unprotected.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
dan400man (2)
12/16/2005 6:30:03 PM
Since you're using 2002 you can set this up when protecting the sheet.

Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet

Uncheck  "select locked cells" and check "select unlocked cells" and check
"edit objects"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:55:04 -0800, dan400man
<dan400man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using Excel 2002, I have a worksheet that I have "protected" so that only a
>certain block of cells can be selected/edited.  Today, I have a new
>requirement to be able to add/edit/delete cell comments on those cells that
>remain unlocked.  But the options to do so on the cell context menu disappear
>when the worksheet is protected, but reappear when the worksheet is
>unprotected.
0
Gord

how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ?
how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? You can't. Why would you? The Outlook Address Book is only a list of electronic addresses to which you can address messages. Why would you need a phone number there? Phone numbers, like all Contact data, are stored in your Contacts Folder. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ingaga" <Ingaga @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C2224F0-0E8B-4E20-A2AC-200B044053FD@microsoft.com... > how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? What in the world is the purpse of the Outlook address book whe...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

How do capture the first three characters from one cell to another cell
"AGC4039" is in cell 1. I want cell 2 to grab the first thre characters from cell 1 so it will display "AGC" Anybody know if excel can do this? Thanks for your help! Ale -- ExcelAle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ExcelAlex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1555 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27129 =LEFT(cell1,3) works dandy -- jared ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelfor...

Compare 1 cell to column of cells returning adjacent cells info?
I want to compare the value in one cell to another column of cells in another work sheet and once the matching value is found I wan to return a different cells value that is on the same line as the matching cell. Example Sheet 1 value is 34 in B6, so I want it to search Sheet 3 colum J for the value 34 which is found on row 351. When a match is found the value returned needs to be from colum O so this would be O351. Does anybody know how to setup this function? You are describing the VLOOKUP() function =VLOOKUP(B6,'Sheet 3'!$J$1:$0$500,6,0) "Mr. Fine"...

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

In Cell Editing
Hi there: Been using Excel for years but haven't asked this question until now... Could have saved myself a few days likely! Anyway, say I type BACON in a cell and press enter or tab - the focus moves to the cell below. If I arrow back up to the cell that has BACON in it, how do I start editing it without double clicking on it with the mouse? I don't want to delete BACON and start again, I want to edit BACON. After I'm done, I want to eat bacon. haha Thanks Press F2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in ...

I need Help

need help badly

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Find & replace a value in an unknown cell location
Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column - say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known? And also is there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one? You can use MATCH to find where "Mytotal" is located, assuming you know either th...

Ranking range of cell with value only
I am ranking set of numbers (# of days worked) in a 10 cell column but the numbers of persons I rank differs from day to day. If I enter "0"(zero) on one of the cell, it ranks the whole ten cells. I have to enter Zero because that is the number of days worked. How can I enter the value of zero that does not activate the other blank cells? Here is my formula: =IF(ISNA(RANK(B5,$B$5:$B$14,1)),"",RANK(B5,$B$5:$B$14,1)) Thanks. -- cardingtr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cardingtr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.ph...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

AutoFilter.Range Visible Cells to Array?
The below snippet worked for me when I wanted to transfer an AutoFilter.Range of visible cells only to an Array. The code is a bit crude but this is the only way I could get it to work after many different trials. Is there a more efficient way? Thanks Dennis ====================================================================== dim myArr as variant dim rng1 as range, FRng as range dim LastCol as long, FRows as long LastCol = .Sheets(1).Range("A1").End(xlToRight).Column <snip AutoFilter code> With Sheets(1).AutoFilter.Range Set rng1 = .Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellType...