Need formula to locate and validate specific text from a string

Hi,

I have the following sample data in column A.

germany (testing)
Germany (cold)
Germany
Austria (Testing)
Austria (cold)
Austria (working)
Austria (other)
China
China (alternate)

In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
Column B else show "no".

Is this possible?

Regards,

Vinstream

0
vinstream

Hello,

Try;
=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("testing",A1)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("cold",A1)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("working",A1))),"Yes","No")
"vinstream" <vinstream@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have the following sample data in column A.
>
> germany (testing)
> Germany (cold)
> Germany
> Austria (Testing)
> Austria (cold)
> Austria (working)
> Austria (other)
> China
> China (alternate)
>

> In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
> the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
> Column B else show "no".
>
> Is this possible?
>

> Regards,
>
> Vinstream

0
ozgrid
4/7/2010 6:12:52 AM
Thanks a ton...this is working.

How many If statements can I use in one formula?

BER(=ADSEARCH("working",A1))),"Yes","No")"vinstream" <vinstr...@gmail.com> =
wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I have the following sample data in column A.
>
> > germany (testing)
> > Germany (cold)
> > Germany
> > Austria (Testing)
> > Austria (cold)
> > Austria (working)
> > Austria (other)
> > China
> > China (alternate)
>
> > In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
> > the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
> > Column B else show "no".
>
> > Is this possible?
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Vinstream- Hide quoted text -

vinstream
4/7/2010 6:42:40 AM
For cell B2:
=IF(OR(IF(ISERR(FIND("testing",A2)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(FIND("cold",A2)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(FIND("working",A2)),FALSE,TRUE)),"Yes","No")

Fill that down to the end of your list.  Remember that the formula should be
entered as one continuous line in Excel; the system here tends to break long
formulas into several lines.

"vinstream" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following sample data in column A.
>
> germany (testing)
> Germany (cold)
> Germany
> Austria (Testing)
> Austria (cold)
> Austria (working)
> Austria (other)
> China
> China (alternate)
>

> In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
> the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
> Column B else show "no".
>
> Is this possible?
>

> Regards,
>
> Vinstream
>

> .

Oops, turns out to work better if you use SEARCH instead:

=IF(OR(IF(ISERR(SEARCH("testing",A3)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(SEARCH("cold",A3)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(SEARCH("working",A3)),FALSE,TRUE)),"Yes","No")

"vinstream" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following sample data in column A.
>
> germany (testing)
> Germany (cold)
> Germany
> Austria (Testing)
> Austria (cold)
> Austria (working)
> Austria (other)
> China
> China (alternate)
>

> In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
> the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
> Column B else show "no".
>
> Is this possible?
>

> Regards,
>
> Vinstream
>

> .

Would I be right in saying that you could change IF(condition,FALSE,TRUE) to
NOT(condition) ?

Hence
=IF(OR(NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("testing",A3))),NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("cold",A3))),NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("working",A3)))),"Yes","No")
and then presumably
=IF(AND(ISERR(SEARCH("testing",A3)),ISERR(SEARCH("cold",A3)),ISERR(SEARCH("working",A3))),"No","Yes")
?
--
David Biddulph

"JLatham" <JLatham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oops, turns out to work better if you use SEARCH instead:
>
> =IF(OR(IF(ISERR(SEARCH("testing",A3)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(SEARCH("cold",A3)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(SEARCH("working",A3)),FALSE,TRUE)),"Yes","No")
>

> "vinstream" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the following sample data in column A.
>>
>> germany (testing)
>> Germany (cold)
>> Germany
>> Austria (Testing)
>> Austria (cold)
>> Austria (working)
>> Austria (other)
>> China
>> China (alternate)
>>

>> In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
>> the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
>> Column B else show "no".
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Vinstream
>>

>> .

0
David
4/7/2010 7:28:59 AM
Some shorter formula:
=IF(ISERR(SEARCH("testing",A1))*ISERR(SEARCH("cold",A1))*ISERR(SEARCH("working",A1))=0,"Yes","No")
Micky

"JLatham" wrote:

> Oops, turns out to work better if you use SEARCH instead:
>
> =IF(OR(IF(ISERR(SEARCH("testing",A3)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(SEARCH("cold",A3)),FALSE,TRUE),IF(ISERR(SEARCH("working",A3)),FALSE,TRUE)),"Yes","No")
>

> "vinstream" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the following sample data in column A.
> >
> > germany (testing)
> > Germany (cold)
> > Germany
> > Austria (Testing)
> > Austria (cold)
> > Austria (working)
> > Austria (other)
> > China
> > China (alternate)
> >

> > In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
> > the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
> > Column B else show "no".
> >
> > Is this possible?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Vinstream
> >

> > .

Seven pre Excel 2007, but there are better ways.
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/seven-nested.htm
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/nested-function-limit.htm

--
Regards
Dave Hawley

On Apr 7, 11:12 am, "ozgrid.com" <d...@ozgrid.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Try;
> =IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("testing",A1)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("cold",A1)),ISNUMBER(�SEARCH("working",A1))),"Yes","No")"vinstream"
> <vinstr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I have the following sample data in column A.
>
> > germany (testing)
> > Germany (cold)
> > Germany
> > Austria (Testing)
> > Austria (cold)
> > Austria (working)
> > Austria (other)
> > China
> > China (alternate)
>
> > In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
> > the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
> > Column B else show "no".
>
> > Is this possible?
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Vinstream- Hide quoted text -

ozgrid
4/7/2010 7:38:50 AM
As you can learn from my solution you don't need more than one IF statement.
Basically:
Up to "Excel 2003" (incl.) you can nest 7 IF Statements.
From "Excel 2007" you can nest 64 IF Statements.
Usually, no one nests that many statements - not even 7
In such cases one uses a small table with all the possibilities and returns
the result with VLOOKUP.
Micky

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:51:40 -0700 (PDT), vinstream <vinstream@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have the following sample data in column A.
>
>germany (testing)
>Germany (cold)
>Germany
>Austria (Testing)
>Austria (cold)
>Austria (working)
>Austria (other)
>China
>China (alternate)
>

>In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
>the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
>Column B else show "no".
>
>Is this possible?
>

>Regards,
>
>Vinstream

Another approach:

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"testing","cold","working"}&"*")),"yes","no")
--ron
0
Ron
4/7/2010 11:11:57 AM
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:51:40 -0700 (PDT), vinstream <vinstream@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have the following sample data in column A.
>
>germany (testing)
>Germany (cold)
>Germany
>Austria (Testing)
>Austria (cold)
>Austria (working)
>Austria (other)
>China
>China (alternate)
>

>In column B, I want it to show that if the cell to the left has any of
>the words 'testing' or 'cold' or 'working' it should show "yes" in
>Column B else show "no".
>
>Is this possible?
>

>Regards,
>
>Vinstream

By the way, mine and the other approaches will also return "yes" if the word
being tested is a Part of the phrase.

For example, if you were testing for 'man', the various formulas would return
"yes" for

Germany
Germany (man)

If this could be a problem, you could modify the formulas to also look for the
"(", assuming your format is always as above.  If there are more variations, a
different approach might work better.

For mine:

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(A1,"*("&{"testing","cold","working"}&")*")),"yes","no")
--ron
0
Ron
4/7/2010 11:18:48 AM
One more:

=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"testing","working","cold"}&"*"))>0,"Yes","No")

You could actually leave the ">0" out of the expression.  But I think it makes
the formula easier to understand.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Text Values #2
I'm tryng to build a spreadsheet to track employee vacations. How do I sum 8 hours if a cell has a "V" entered and 4 hours if a cell has an "X" entered? Assuming you're using column A, and each row is either the number of hours worked, or a V or a X, then use a helper column, B, and insert this in B1 and copy down.......change the A1's to A2's if you have a header in Row 1, and put this in B2. =IF(A1="V",8,IF(A1="X",4,A1)) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Brando" <carpenterchsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1113...

Print any file to a specific printer (silently)
Hi, I have a requirement where I have to print any given file to a specific printer. My application then consumes the output of this printer. I also need to do this without any user intervention and without any GUI. I have managed to get the printing done using Shell Execute, however, it always shows the associated application even though I have specified ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden as window style. My code snippets are given below: <CODE> Process objProcess = new Process(); objProcess.StartInfo.FileName = fileName; //file to print objProcess.StartInfo.WindowStyle = ...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

text boxes filled with color
When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? Lavanya <Lavanya@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail > publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of > text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? There is no way to change it. This is the way Publisher works. Publisher is not designed for outputting small HTML code. --...

A full page of email text shrinks to one inch or less w/ new batte
I was answering emails and everyhting was fine. The batteries in my wireless mouse died. I replaced them and went back to answering emails. When I clicked the "forward" or "reply" button , a full page text in an email shrank to about one inch. Changing the font size did not correct the problem. HELP it's your zoom setting. Hold ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase. Depending on the mouse, you could have accidently pressed a mouse button and changed it when you changed the batteries. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.o...

Help needed

Combo Box Text Alignment
Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a combo box other then the standard "Left-Right-Center" preset options ? Thanks - George What specifically are you looking for? Assuming you use a query as the RowSource, you've always got the option of concatenating spaces in front (or after) a field. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1366215-05A0-45BB-A27B-272A47458FC8@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a ...

2 sumif functions in one formula
Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula and return the same results. If so, how would the formula be written? Thanks. Todd If you are to return the same results why do you need 2 formulas? It would be good to give specifics with examples. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04d201c3b391$f9f5ef20$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula > and return the same results. If so, how would the formula > be written? Thanks. > > T...

Need help on this....thanks

Importing a specific Visio tab into MS Word
I have a Visio 2007 document with about 12 diagrams, one on each of 12 tabs. I would like to import a several of the tabs into a Word 2007 document and link them so when I change the Visio document the Word doc is automatically updated. Unfortunately, Word links to the tab that was selected the last time the Visio document was saved, so all diagrams are the same if I update the Word doc. I would like to keep all the diagrams in one Visio doc for simplicity instead of having to have 12 diagrams in 12 separate files. is there a way to link to a specific tab? Thansk in advance, Marco U...

Help with formula 12-17-09

select a specific ActiveCell by VBA
In any cell in column "F", a user can select a code number from a drop down list. These numbers go up to over 100, so, if the user isn't sure of which number to select, cell F6 can be rightclicked and VBA will take the user to a different sheet where all the code numbers (and their associated meanings) are listed. A command button on that sheet will take the user back to the ActiveCell on the first sheet. Even if the user was working in cell F2000, the active cell is now always F6 To get around this, how can I set the active row to the bottom most row with data i...

I need Help

need help badly

Missing Text #5
Hello, I have a problem with Outlook XP (2002) that I can't find a solution for. When this particular user receives a reply to an email she sent, the frist couple of lines of the reply text will appear in the auto preview (the preview in the message listing in the inbox) but when she opens the message itself by double clicking it, that reply text is missing. I've updated Outlook to SP3 and even tried reinstalling it once. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks, Rod ...

sumif formula required
Hello I have only basic knowledge of excel and need a formula to extrac information. A B C Client Process Sqm CEK Fibre 100 RDF Gloss 200 ERF Emul 150 CEK Fibre 100 What formula should I use to extract all CEK clients who purchase th fibre process giving total sqm. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed