Need advice to start off a project - HELP!

Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea
which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is
powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone
out there help me?

I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a
spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom
there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I
made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure
it can be done automatically only how?

On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of all the
visits and so on that have been done, selectable by month would be
nice, or location, or visit type. I could even incorporate graphs and
so on though that isn't too important.

I have been looking at the documentation that comes with Excel but
there are so many different functions that could be used I could do
with someone pointing me in the right direction. Thanks for you
help!!!
0
ian.leigh (2)

Probably the easiest way to start is with a Pivot table.

If you have a separate column for each aspect of the visit e.g. month
date, customer, customer type, visit type etc then a pivot table wil
let you summarise using any combination without the need for formulae

--
Alex Delamai
Alex Delamain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1127

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

How can I create a Visio timeline from a Microsoft Project file?
Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio? If so, which versions of each program would I need? And by timeline, I don't mean Gaant chart. I mean the timelines that I can manually create in Visio using the Timeline Shapes stencil. "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message news:e5nU7f#7DHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio? If so, > which versions of each program would I need? > > This from v2003pro timeline help, your mileage may vary Import Project da...

Need to test a mobo

Why is a .WAV file NOT automatically playing when I start the PPT
I inserted a .wav file in my powerpoint show and when I go to "view show," the animations work but the sound file does not play - either automatically OR on mouse click. The other animations and their "effect options" sounds play fine, but NOT the sound icon. I have checked with our school technician and it is not a hardware problem b/c windows media player works fine. Can you help me? I am a middle school special educator and I teach autistic students. I need to run the Powerpoint I created for my disabled student to interact with. Can you help me? Th...

GP 10.00 User Secury for Project Accounting
Hi All, How can I grant user access to view Project Accounting Batch ID lookup during PA Billing Transaction? ...

CRM 1.2 Security Service Not starting
I have CRM 1.2 and SQL on the same box. When the server is restarted, the CRM Security Service fails to start. I must manually start the service. Any ideas? TIA -RS See TechKnowledge Error "The Microsoft CRM Security Service Failed to Start" During the Microsoft CRM Server Installation When Microsoft CRM and SQL Server 2000 are Installed on the same machine Mounim >-----Original Message----- >I have CRM 1.2 and SQL on the same box. >When the server is restarted, the CRM Security Service fails to start. >I must manually start the service. >Any ideas? >TIA ...

Plug in needed

Selecting which Inbox to show at start-up
I am trying to sync my mail with my palm, and it will only sync the general inbox, but my mail goes to the inbox of my mail account at my school. How can I either get that mail moved to the general inbox at start-up, or just switch that to be the main inbox? If i could get outlook to check this other account at start-up it might be fine, but i have to click on it to get it to check the school mail, even though that is the only mail account i have set up What type of account and version of Outlook are we talking about here? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips...

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

need to get my mail
how can i get my hot mail from here You can't, this is a newsgroup, it has nothing to do with email. -- -- "carlos" <bartlett_1974@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O$yffBZiKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > how can i get my hot mail from here Windows Mail doesn't support HTTP mail, which for a long time was the=20 only allowed access method for free Hotmail accounts. Earlier this year Microsoft enabled POP access for free Hotmail/Live/MSN accounts. Follow the settings given here: http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!4...

Import delimited text to project
I'm trying to import a small text file (2 columns, 14 rows, tab- separated) into an pre-created table in an Access 2003 project (connected to SQL Server 2000 back-end). This works fine interactively, but I cannot get it to go programmatically. I've tried using TransferText in a macro, and RunCode in a macro calling a VBA function. If I omit column names from the 1st line of the input .txt file, Access complains that the target table doesn't have a column called 'F1' (which is true if unhelpful). If I try to make life easy for it by renaming my table columns to 'F1'...

Do I need these?
I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3. I use VB 6.0 (Classic). The MSXML KBs stacked up? The .NET updates? Do I really need these? -- Windows Live OneCare Scanner -- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686 -- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables -- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 -- Memory Key Boot Utility Ed Ed from AZ wrote: > I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the > following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP...

Web Outlook & Exchange Setup need ideas
I currently have Server: Windows 2000 Server, Exchange 5. Clients: Windows 2000 Pro, Outlook 200 I am planning to install Outlook Web Access. I want to upgrade Exchange Server 5.5 to 2003. People say Ex 2003 does has installation probles with Win 2000 Server. Is this true Does Outlook Web Access have to be installed on the same box that is running the Exchange Server? If it has to be, will it work if I install Exchange Server on a different box and have its information store point to the information store of my original Exchange Server. And then install Outlook Web Access on the new box I a...

save a publisher file as a JPG file, need to be more than default 150dpi
I am saving a publisher file as a jpg file but it only saves it with a dpi of 150, i need this to be at least 300 dpi please can someone advise how i can change and where i change the setting to do this. is it possible? thanks in advance for your help jc wrote: > I am saving a publisher file as a jpg file but it only saves it with a dpi > of 150, i need this to be at least 300 dpi > > please can someone advise how i can change and where i change the setting to > do this. Try hitting "Change" where it says "150dpi" in the Save As dialog. While you...

Message Archiving Software Needed
Hi all - I am looking for a recommendation on Exchange 2000/2003 message archiving software. I would like it to archive the email as well as to have a searchable database with reporting features. Any suggestions? Hi, I use Enterprise Vault (symantec, veritas) and it is ok... Supports journalling and archiving of mailboxes. not much reporting capabilities but has an altavista search engine to access old emails. I have only used this product but would rate it 7/10... Heaps of room for improvement and now symantec has it hopefully future versions will be better. Mathew "Donni...

need to re-join exchange 5.5 to mixed organization for public folders backup
I just removed the last exchange 5.5 from the mixed organization I have. But now i'm missing some public folders!!!! Can I re-join the exchange 5.5 server after deleting it from the organization?? please help! Then I have to replicate the public folders. I have an exchange 2003 SP2 cluster and an another Ex 2003 where the SRS service was running. If I can not do this?? How can I restore the public folders to the new Exchange 2003 server?? How about bringing up the 55 server and using Exmerge. Nue <noursly@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146573361.871293.98000@j33g2000cwa.goo...

need to transpose 3 or 4 columns to one column
The matrix below represents what I need to do in Excel. I need to transpose the data from row 1 of C1, C2, C3 and C4 to rows 1-4 of C5 then repeat for each additional row of C1-C4. I think I might need a macro but I have no idea how to write it. Any help would be appreciated. My data set is too large to utilize cut and paste special. Thank you for your responses. Rufus C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 5 4 3 5 5 4 3 4 5 4 5 4 3 2 3 5 4 3 4 5 5 4 3 2 Rufus, If your example table is entered in cells A1:D4, enter this into cell E2, and copy down until it returns #REF ...

how to start a new thread?
Sounds crazy, but I can't post a question in a normal way. I see the button on the upper left side that has the name "New". When I click it there appear three possibilities: Question Suggestion for Microsoft General comment Only when I wildly and repeatedly hit that list somewhere with my mouse clicks a question screen will suddenly open. What is the standard procedure to open the question screen? (I believe in a certain way one mouse click should do the job, but as you will have guessed by now, I am but a dumb end user, so please help) -- Jack Sons The Net...

plz solve this i need solution
guys, i have a student record and for that i calculate total,avg and result but the problem is rank ....what i need is i would like to give the rank to only pass student in sequence. but for the fail its show fail....any formula ...plz see the attechment for this......... ...

PB with OCX control integrated in Dialog in a DLL MFC project
Hi all, I develop a DLL MFC using VStudio 7.0. As soon as i integrate an OCX control in a dialog ressource, the CDialog object linked to this ressource doesn't load. I try modal and modless methods, Nothing happens. Is there an option i've forgotten? Please help ! Is the control properly registered? Does it require a license? Has AfxEnableControlContainer been called? In article <7E9200A5-922F-403C-A33C-2118B318E0D9@microsoft.com>, Flora@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi all, > > I develop a DLL MFC using VStudio 7.0. > As soon as i integrate an OCX co...

I need to know if there is a template for my needs...
I'm trying to compile a scheduling program via Access/2000 (Yeah, I know that's an old program....LOL. thanks for my employer's budgeting...LOL). I trying to setup a scheduling process for teachers and students and be able to print forms....Is there a template that you could suggest that I try and use? ...

Formula Needed!
I need a formula that finds the closest sum of the list of bills to the specified amount, i.e Bills $ 30.00 $ 20.00 $ 30.00 Amount $ 70.00 In this case formula should highlight or indicate in some way cells with amounts $30.00 and $30.00 and show the total of these cells. -- Roman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Roman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24442 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=380407 Try this, Roman: http://www.mrexcel.com/pc09.shtml ******************...