Navigating to Excel files over network slow, but not Word files

I have a PC with Excel 2003 SP3, when you click on "open"  the window appears
with a drop down arrow that allows you to navigate to your files. This person
has all his files on the server and excel will take 30 seconds to populate
the folder veiws, even when you find the folder you want, it still takes
another 25 seconds to open that folder. The same process in Word 2003 only
takes about 6 seconds!! If appears to be only an Excel issue.

Anyone seen this before?

I don't know why there's a difference between MSWord and Excel, but the more
network drives and folders that excel/windows has to read (through the Open
dialog) increases time.

Maybe there's a difference in times if you change the order.  Try it in MSWord
first, then try Excel to see if there's a difference.  (Or even try opening each
mapped drive in Windows Explorer first???)

No matter what, you may want to unmap your drives (make a note of letter to UNC
path before you do this).  Then see if there's a single mapped drive that causes
the trouble.

--

Dave Peterson
0

2 Questions about Excel Charts
1) I have a list of 50 points (X, Y) that I want to plot. In a third column, I have the state corresponding to each point. How do I display these states on the chart (without manually entering each)? 2) I want to create a Chart where the user can input a real number (without switching to another sheet) that changes the chart (e.g., entering ALPHA for a chart plotting "SIN(ALPHA*X)"). Listboxes, spinners only work for discrete numbers, and I do not want to put the chart on an existing worksheet. How do I create a link from a sheet to an editable value on a Chart? Thank you...

Converting Excel to PDF
Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me...I have adobe & Microsoft office installed on my computer and I'm trying to set up adobe so that when I go and select print from the file menu in excel/word I can select adobe and then the document is converted to a pdf. However I do not know how to set up adobe so that it is one of my priting options - can anyone help me with this??! I look forward to hearing from someone who can help!! Cheers, Mel Do you have Acrobat or Acrobat Reader? Acrobat Reader only enables you to read pdf files. AFAICR when you install the full Acrobat produ...

setting up word for sending emails
New Microsoft Office-Microsoft Internet Explorer has been installed but I don't know how to set up forward emails to send SEt up Outlook using your ISP instructions for incoming/outgoing server. Test Account Settings in the Account setup will tell you if you are successful. If not, then post the error message here and someone can help. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, skm...

How do I setup to tab between form fields in Office Excel 2002?
-- M Derry Product Action Indianapolis, IN See3 Bob Phillips' site. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:56:01 -0700, MD2503 <MD2503@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Calendars in Excel
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a list of dates in Excel to a calendar format? I know its a long shot but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks! Like if you have a list of dates in column A and a short description in column C (and maybe an indicator in column B (holiday/birthday/other)? If yes, then you're looking for Chip Pearson's Calendar: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm Look for calendar (and note the warning about both analysis toolpaks being loaded.) uftiffany wrote: > > Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a list of...

Excel XP VBA code to search all macro code in Excel module for specific search string
Hi all, I am looking to write a Excel XP vba code which will allow me t search for a specific search string in a Excel macro module for all th "xls" spreadsheet type files in the folder location which will promp me which could be "C:\" . For example..I want to search all the spreadsheets for the strin "C:\temp" hardcoded into the Excel XP macro module using an automate solution like Excel XP VBA. I am using Excel XP on Windows XP o/s. Please help me out with the code as I have to present a report to m manager in 2 days. Thanks, Roger. E-mail: raj_aryan1947@y...

How do I eleiminate an unwanted extra page from an Excel wookbook.
When I have completely filled up 2 pages in a workbook and I am using a header that I need to repeat on each page, the header will then start automatically on page 3. That would be fine if I needed more pages for the report, but that is not the case. Therefore, when I proceed to print I will always get 2 pages of information and 1 page with an unwanted heading. How can I delete the 3rd page permanatly so it will never print? Hi use 'File - Printarea' to set your printing range -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "paulwrestle" <paulwrestle@discussions.micro...

All of the sudden my file wont open cause the font is missing!
Ok, so this moring i got into my office and tryed to open my 71 page publisher document. When i left yesterday everything was perfect. Now today it says my font i was using Helvetica is no longer available and it asks if i'd like to change the font. I can to another font, but this is a communication going out to stores for the retail compnay i'm with and i'd like to use helvetica. Now when i open a new publisher document or word file, helvetica is indeed there. Why is it missing from this one file? I've NEVER seen this error. Helvetica was never installed with a Micros...

Autolaunching the form box in Excel
I want to be able to open a data sheet and have the form box launch automatically. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you very much! Anna, Try something like the following: Sub Auto_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Select Worksheets("Sheet1").ShowDataForm End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:314C73BF-ADC3-42A6-B891-BB2D49375EAF@microsoft.com... >I want to be able to open a data sheet and have the form box >launch ...

excel hang when switching worksheet

Navigating through cells
I want to create a form and want to skip cells: Like navitgate from A1 to F8 in one stroke. Can I do that? Gram I think you want the form to just be a spreadsheet. In that case select the celss that you want to re-use for data entry and choose, Format, Cells and on the protection tab deselect the Locked checkmark and click OK Now choose Tools, Protection and protect the worksheet. You should be able to use the Tab key to jump between data entry cells. Now save the workbook. Remember that if you apply a password it is Case Sensitive and you will be unable to use the worksheet if you...

Excel 2007
I'm using Excel 2007 and would like to know how to switch the way the data shows up on the chart. I would like to have the information that is being plotted on the vertical axis on the horizontal axis instead and visa versa. Thanks for any help. Additional information: If I'm in the right area........I've tried formatting the data point, but the "Series Options" Primary and Secondary Axis options are grayed out. "Beach Lover" wrote: > I'm using Excel 2007 and would like to know how to switch the way the data > shows up on the cha...

VB Excel Range
I need to compare the values in a cell in one workbook to the same cell in another workbook and store them in the same cell in a new workbook. I wrote the code already to open each workbook, add a new workbook, and format my heading information on the sheets. However, I am struggling with finding an efficient way to make the value of A1 in my new workbook=A1 in workbook1 - A1 in workbook2. With the Range command, is there any way to have the cell know its own address? Or do I have to increment cell by cell, store the address and then insert that information into the formula to perform the s...

EXCEL #2
HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF EXCEL IS INCLUDED IN WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL THAT I'M CONSIDERING PURCHASING? ...

Data Connection between Excel 2007 and SharePoint 2007
I have established a data connection in an Excel 2007 document from a SharePoint 2007 list. I then format the data in the Excel document. When I refresh the data connection, I lose some, but not all of my formatting. Why is this, and how can I fix it? ...

Excel email attachment fails to open
If I double-click on an excel attachment, excel opens but the file doesn't. However, if I double click on a word attachment, both word and the word document does open I've tried repairing the Office installation but with no success. Can anyone help please ? OS is Win7; Office is 2007 Tx Rob RobFJ wrote: > If I double-click on an excel attachment, excel opens but the file > doesn't. However, if I double click on a word attachment, both word and > the word document does open > > OS is Win7; Office is 2007 Same thing happen when you *...

HELP NEEDED- CORRUPTED FILE
Does anyone know how to open a corrupted Excel file? I am having problems to open a spreadsheet. "Elisa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10d201c3df5d$e8ea7d20$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to open a corrupted Excel file? I am > having problems to open a spreadsheet. You can't open it if it is corrupted. You will need to get the backup file. By the way, NEVER use files direct from removable media; this is almost guaranteed to corrupt them. Copy to hard disk and then open from there. Save to hard disk and then copy to removab...

Application navigation
1.Whenever i navigate my MFC application to another application ,all dialog boxes are displaying in another application also.My dialog box style(property) is popup if i make style property as CHILD it is not at all displaying. How can i solve this problem. 2. Once i minimise my MFC application If i try to maximize by clicking or pressing alt + tab my MFC application is not maximising , i used OnActivate event in frame window inside i have handled WA_ACTIVE and WA_CLICKACTIVE. 3.To refresh my application how can i get all control hanles for example frame window, dialog box etc. ...

Automating Excel report Using Data from MS Access
I have data in a query that I have exporting using Transfer text to a csv file. I set up an excel template for the report and recorded a macro in excel that imports the data from the csv file and links the data to the report. The problem is running the Excel macro as part of the code for the button click in my Acces form. I am getting a runtime error, saying that the macro cannot be found. Everything is spelled correctly. Can anyone provide any insight? Thanks Here is the code: Dim xlsApp As Excel.Application Dim xlswkb As Excel.Workbook Set xlsApp = CreateObjec...

Import txt files
From: lucianopaulinosilva@gmail.com Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.externaldata Subject: Import TXT files Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:23:09 -0000 Dear all, I have a directory containing 10,000 txt files that I have to import for excel. Any file have two lines and I need that they appear in excel as the following: 1-First column = File name; 2-Second column = Second line of all the txt files since the first line contains only headers. Filename Values A.txt 235 B.txt 454 C.txt 475 D.txt 7854 E.txt 7...

recently viewed items in Excel
I am trying to, show recently viewed excel spread sheets under excel in the start menu. I have this option in Word 2007, and One Note 2007 but not under Excel 2007. I checked Excel options, advanced, and there is a number of recently viewed doc. in box. But still nothing under Excel on start menu. Am I missing something? I am using Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 -- John ...

Exporting to Excel from CRM hangs system
Hi Has anyone had this specific problem before? One of my customers, still on CRM 3.0 has an issue where some workstations while exporting data to excel will just freeze. In most cases, clearing the IE cache and re-starting will resolve it. The are on CRM 3.0 Rollup 3, SQL 2000. Machines are XP Pro, Office 2003. If anyone reading this post has seen this problem before and has a solution or can provide *useful* information, it will be greatly appreciated. Cheers Nick -- Nick Doelman www.readybms.com ...

Closing Excel
If I open more than one Excel WB, and then close one of them, they all close. How can I stop that from happening? Marv Select the workbook X instead of the application X?? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Marvin Kornblau" <mkornblau@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:45a006c4$0$5160$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... > If I open more than one Excel WB, and then close one of them, they all > close. How can I stop that from happening? > > Marv If you are closing from the X in the Windows title bar, then that closes Excel. Same holds tr...

Excel reader/player
I am interested in finding a player or reader program so that I may display my worksheets on another computer without having to install the Excel program. Is that possible? Thanks, Bob Bob, have a look here for a viewer for excel http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=en -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email address to reply ...

version of excel
i have office 2000. now if i save an excel file as the default, which version of excel will it be. will that file be excel 2000 version? can this file be opened in excel 97 or any other version of excel please help me asap Hi smriti! Excel 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 all use an xls extension. Files saved in later versions will open in earlier versions although there may be some losses of functionality if the later version file uses some new feature. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Have a look at menu File/SaveAs. The 'Microsoft Excel ...