Naming columns in Excel

I am trying to set up a database in Excel.  I need to change the columns (A,
B, C,...etc) to name, date, ssn, etc.  I am having trouble and dont know how
to do it.  PLEASE HELP!
I want to be able to have each column name to reflect the information that
will be put in that respective column.

Thank you for your help

0
Peggy (16)

Hi
you can't change the column headers. The best you could do is use the first
row as heading row

"Peggy" wrote:

> I am trying to set up a database in Excel.  I need to change the columns (A,
> B, C,...etc) to name, date, ssn, etc.  I am having trouble and dont know how
> to do it.  PLEASE HELP!
> I want to be able to have each column name to reflect the information that
> will be put in that respective column.
>
> Thank you for your help

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/16/2004 9:23:07 AM
Hi Peggy,

> I am trying to set up a database in Excel.  I need to change the columns (A,
> B, C,...etc) to name, date, ssn, etc.  I am having trouble and dont know how
> to do it.  PLEASE HELP!
> I want to be able to have each column name to reflect the information that
> will be put in that respective column.

That is impossible. The only thing you can do is use row 1 for the headings.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)
11/16/2004 9:26:26 AM
You can't do that in Excel. You are thinking of a database program like
Access. Maybe that's what you should be using here.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:09:02 -0800, "Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to set up a database in Excel.  I need to change the columns (A,
>B, C,...etc) to name, date, ssn, etc.  I am having trouble and dont know how
>to do it.  PLEASE HELP!
>I want to be able to have each column name to reflect the information that
>will be put in that respective column.
>
>Thank you for your help

0
anonymous (74722)
11/16/2004 2:06:13 PM
"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote ...

> you can't change the column headers. The best you could do is use the first
> row as heading row

The OP could additionally hide Excel's column headers (Tools, Options,
View, uncheck 'Row and column headers') then format the new custom
column headers in the first row to *look* like Excel's. Or get really
clever and put appropriate controls over the cells in the header row
so custom functionality could be applied when they were selected,
clicked, hovered over with the mouse, etc. It would require some other
clever tricks to ensure the custom row stays in place, though.

Jamie.

jamiecollins (192)

Chart Names
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is an easy one but I just can't figure it out. I have a worksheet with 3 charts on it. I need to write some VBA to select each chart in turn and change its axis settings. So I figured the first thing to do is to name the charts so that I can select them properly in the VBA. But how do I name a chart??? If I select the chart I get "Chart Area" in the name box and I can't edit it. Many thanks for any help, Tony M As answered in .programming -- Hold the Ctrl key and click on the chart to select it. Click in the Name Box, type a new ...

Naming a range
I have a such macro : Private Sub Macro1(arkusz As Worksheet) arkusz.Range(arkusz.PageSetup.PrintArea).Copy Sheets("Sheet1").Select Range("A" & Trim(Str(zLastRow))).Select Arkusz50.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="A1", RefersToR1C1:=Selection zLastRow = zLastRow + arkusz.Range(arkusz.PageSetup.PrintArea).Rows.Count Range("A" & Trim(Str(zLastRow))).Select ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.HPageBreaks.Add Before:=ActiveCell End Sub However the above macro doesnt work (this part: ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=&quo...

Name Assignment
I need to assign a staff memeber to a group of clients Staff Names Clients Milk Shoe A-F Form Code G-L John DOe M-P The table that contains the client information CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FD__CLIENTS]( [OP__DOCID] [int] NOT NULL, [Fullname] [varchar](68) NULL, [NameF] [varchar](20) NULL, [NameL] [varchar](20) NULL, [NameMI] [varchar](20) NULL CONSTRAINT [PK_FD__CLIENTS] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED There is a staff table but there is nothing that ties it to the clients table. So the staf names will have to be hardcoded. Any ideas? On...

How do I remove the sheet name from a named formula?
I would like to use the same name to refer to the same set of cells on different worksheets: SheetTitle=$A$1 but when I try this it reverts to SheetTitle=Sheet1!$A$1 Any ideas how to do it? I could use =IF(,,,) if I knew how to look up the currently active sheet; =IF(SheetName="Sheet1",TRUE,FALSE) Any ideas how to reference the name of the sheet? Well, you could do something like this: SheetTitle=!$A$1 The exclamation point means that the Name will refer to A1 on the active worksheet. Excel uses the SheetName to tell things apart. If I try to give to different A1'...

Auto populate Email when Name is chosen
I have a list of names which i present in a combo box on the userform. I have an email textbox. I want the email to be auto-populated based on the name chosed. May I ask your help with this? Hi Jerry, Only the first procedure is really relevant in this post the others are to show how you may want to call it but, that entirely depends on your needs. Private sub BuildAndSend has 4 required parameters “ToWhom”, “Subject”,”Body”, and “Send”. Pass the appropriate values to the procedure and it will send or display an email to the user to send. HTH. Private Sub BuildAndSend( _ ...

Excel and Word Attachments Time Out in OWA
I am having an odd problem in OWA. Many end users are experiencing time out problems when trying to access Word or Excel attachments in OWA on Exchange 2003. It appears to be only Word or Excel as others work fine. OWA is being accessed on a front-end server. However, all attachments work fine when accessed through the back-end server. Any ideas? ...

Opening new document in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just switched from PC to MacBookPro with Microsoft Office 2008. It seems puzzling that when I open Excel to begin a new workbook there seems to be multiple sheets already open. Is there a way to only one sheet open when starting a new document? <br> Thank you. Three sheets is the default number for Mac as well as PC versions of Excel [although I'm not 100% sure about 2007, but I believe it's the same). You can change the default in Excel> Preferences - General. Pick a number from 1-2...

Custom entity with same display name as out of the box?
I tried to create a new entity "new_InvoiceDDI" with a display name of "Invoice" and it won't allow the display name to be the same as a "out of the box" entity. Why is this? Anyone know a way around it? CRM 4.0 Mark Hi Mark, There's no way around it except renaming the existing invoice entity to something else. One obvious reason is the Outlook Client. It uses the display names to show folders, but folders needs to have a unique name. The web client uses the display names as well, so how can a user differentiate between two entities having the...

Populate combobox with folder names
I had found this code to show folder names that displays in a msgbox, is it possible to get the list of folder names into a combobox? --------------------------------------- Sub ListFolders() Dim fs, f, f1, fc, s Dim folderspec folderspec = "C:\Excel\" Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set f = fs.GetFolder(folderspec) Set fc = f.SubFolders For Each f1 In fc s = s & f1.Name s = s & vbCrLf Next MsgBox s End Sub ---------------------------------------- This is for exc...

Separate Columns by Line Break
I have a set of exported data separated by line breaks. In other words, I would like to separate the data into columns based on where the line breaks fall. However, I cannot figure out how to do this. Does anyone have a suggestion. Hi try using 'Data - Text to<columns' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany myersli wrote: > I have a set of exported data separated by line breaks. In other > words, I would like to separate the data into columns based on where > the line breaks fall. However, I cannot figure out how to do this. > Does anyone have a suggesti...

Instance name must be the same name as the computer name ...
I've seen many posts about this installation issue and ran across it myself during an install on an existing SBS server. When running Select @@servername I received a null answer. I looked in the sysservers table in the master database and found that there was no '0' server listed as I've seen on all other installs of SQL. I took a chance and changed the value to 0, restarted SQL and ran the @@servername and it now came back as the name of the server as expected and I was able to install CRM with no problems. Long term I don't know if this will cause issues with ...

Change the name of an employee class
Is there a way in the SQL table to change the name of employee classes? Patti, Where did you want to change them (cards, trx, history, etc). There are several tables involved. Would it be possible to make new classes starting with the class you want to duplicate as a default. Please let us know what you are trying to accomplish by changing classes. Kind regards, Leslie "Patti Anderson" wrote: > Is there a way in the SQL table to change the name of employee classes? Our naming convention has changed, and requires changing the names of all employee classes...

Named Reference
Hi, Can someone tell me what the pros and cons are (if any) of these 2 ways of naming a range. ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add NAME:="HOME", RefersTo:=ActiveCell Range("HOME").Select or Dim HOME As Range Set HOME = ActiveCell HOME.Select Thanks, DaveU It seems to me that the first method creates a named range that is essentially meaningless to the user and is only used for VBA processing. Additionally, if you don't write code to delete the named range it will just sit there in the workbook waiting for somebody to ask what it means. The second alternative is a clea...

excel
I am trying to figure our how to create a drop box with multiple values - i.e. january, february, march... Something like a box that says "choose month" in the box and when you hit the arrow it allows you to scroll through the monthly options and choose one. I am currently using Excel 2000. I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL if someone could offer me a prompt response. Thank you Data / Validation / Change 'Any Value' to list and then select the list containing the values you wish to choose from, or instead of selecting a list, type Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr,May etc (including commas) in...

How to Break a link to a source in Excel 2000?
Trying to break links in a excel file. but does not appear in the links dialog box. Is there any other option of breaking links in excel 2000 Hi goto: http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm and search for Findlink.zip (http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany G wrote: > Trying to break links in a excel file. but does not appear in the > links dialog box. Is there any other option of breaking links in > excel 2000 ...

"Name Conflict" when Excel 2007 open an old worksheet
Hi all, An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the worksheet file name could not solve the problem after tested. Why? Thank you, Chik "Chik" <c...@netvigator.com> wrote... >An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as >a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also >could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change th...

Find a time value in one column based on names in another
Hi - I have a list of names. (40 Different names that may occur 30 - 40 times a piece in column B). In Column C I have a list of times that each person made an entry. Is there a formula that will give me the earliest time that appears in column C for each person on the list in column B? I already have a list of all of the unique names that will appear in column B that I can use as a reference. Example: col A col B col C smith 6:00am jones 5:03pm smith 7:05am jones 4:02pm adams 2:05pm adams 2:33p...

convert from last name, first name TO first name, last name
How can I convert my contacts (as a group menaing all of them at once0 from the last name, first name to first name last name, without having to enter EACH cotnact and perform it almost 400 times? Also, in what format would you suggest trying to print my contacts showing fields name mobile, home, work phone and email address? I assume there is a way to make used defined fields? You'll need to create a post with enough information that others could understand it. How are we to know which field or view you are trying to "convert?" Be specific. I would suggest pri...

Drowned in the ocean of Excel Spreadsheets
The extensive use of Excel which is now very powerful has made some people almost drowned in it. Very large worksheets being established and linked to each other. When I tried to take over spreadsheets of my fellow employee during his being hospitalized, I almost give up. Figures and formulas scattered all across the pages and it is difficult to know where to start from. I'm thinking about pooling Data input totally in one sheet, pooling all the calculations in another sheet and displaying all the reports in other sheet. Does any body have the experience on such arrangement? Thanks...

my excel files on a floppy disk seem to have disappeared. Help?
I have been using a disk to save my excel files. When I put my disk in and clicked to open the a: drive - I got a message that said my disk may not be formatted or may be formatted for MacIntosh. What happened to my files and is there any way to get them back? DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RECOVER THIS YOURSELF!!!!!!! it has been my experience that all you will accomplish is overwriting any recoverable data and forever losing your work. don't let your = friend/lover/geek friend attempt it. instead, assuming you want to actually recover the = data, take it to a disk recovery spec...

Excel display fonts too small
When i use the function auto filter, the fonts in drop down list box is small. When i change the fonts of the cell, it can only chaneg the fonts of the cell but not the fonts in drop down list box. Any advise. Thanks in advance The font in the AutoFilter dropdown lists can't be changed. You can make it appear larger by increasing the zoom level on the worksheet. John Smith wrote: > When i use the function auto filter, the fonts in drop down list box is > small. When i change the fonts of the cell, it can only chaneg the fonts of > the cell but not the fonts in drop down list ...

HELP!!! EXCEL!!!
I need help from someone who knows alot of windows and excel. I had something very important saved to Excel, and I went to open it, and there was an error, saying do chkdsk.exe, so i did that. Now when I open the file in excel, it opens but its in turkish or weird writing, if i change it to English, its still not my work its a bunch of letters and boxes. How do I get my work back??? Please email me at nceantonio@yahoo.com... thank you Christina ...

Separating a name into first name and last name columns
I have a series of full names in single cells that are formatted the following way: <Last Name>,<Space><First Name> - thus it looks like the following: ADAMS, ROSEMARY I would like to separate this into two columns and eliminate the comma. I appreciate any help. I am working in Microsoft Excel 2000 and need answers in Excel, not in Visual Basic. Thank you, THEFALLGUY David(s) - thank you for the help. Problem solved. The Davids stick together!!!! Thanks, David "THEFALLGUY" wrote: > I have a series of full names in single cells that are formatted the ...

How do I convert .xlsx to .xls Excel files?
The computer I have must have a version of Excel which produces .xlxs files. I have need to convert these to .xls files. Do I need to buy and install another version of Excel or can I convert them? Thanks Hi William If you click the round Office button at the top left, then Save As, you will see an option to save as an Excel 97-2003 Workbook. That is an .xls file. Note that any formatting, etc that is not compatible with Excel 97-2003 will be lost. Andrew Engwirda MVP 2007-now "William" wrote: > The computer I have must have a version of Excel which prod...

Downward column
Hi suppose that,my data set on column x and second row(x2),i want to move this column to desired row. For example: data position is x2 and expected position is x7644. I need to a macro, when run it then at first open the Box, and take me new row number, and finally, move data on column x to new row number. Would you please guide me? best regards Please note that, my data set on column x for example is x2: x570 and i want to move to new position x7644:x8214. i have many file and little time. thus i need to a macro that before explained. regards "climate" wrot...