Named ranges - column/row question

Excel 2003

I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets (all
in the same workbook) for a monthly report.  I have named ranges on each
shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3, S2M1...)
where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc.  The old formula
was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147).  I'm stumped as
to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L of
S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T?  The range
changes each month, and I thought it would be better to change the name range
monthly, rather than the cells in 100+ formulas.

TIA
Carole O
0
CaroleO (115)

Hi!

To me:

=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147)

is a lot "simpler" than this:

You can use the INDEX function like this:

 =SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,1)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))

The above example also assumes that column L is the first column in the
named range and column T is the second column in the named range.

If you don't know for sure which column numbers to use then you can
complicate things even further and use a MATCH function to find the column
for you:

=SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,MATCH("name",A1:L1,0)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,MATCH("time",A1:L1,0)))

Where "name" and "time" are the coulmn headers. "Name" is the column that
would contain "BB" and "time" is the column that contains the numbers to
SUMIF.

Sometimes named ranges aren't the best way to go!

Biff

"Carole O" <CaroleO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2003
>
> I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets (all
> in the same workbook) for a monthly report.  I have named ranges on each
> shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3, S2M1...)
> where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc.  The old formula
> was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147).  I'm stumped
> as
> to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L of
> S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T?  The range
> changes each month, and I thought it would be better to change the name
> range
> monthly, rather than the cells in 100+ formulas.
>
> TIA
> Carole O

0
biffinpitt (3172)
5/10/2005 6:18:32 PM
Thanks, Biff -

I added another left paren to the Index function, and it works perfectly.

Just what I needed!!

Carole O
"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> To me:
>
> =SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147)
>
> is a lot "simpler" than this:
>
> You can use the INDEX function like this:
>
>  =SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,1)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))
>
> The above example also assumes that column L is the first column in the
> named range and column T is the second column in the named range.
>
> If you don't know for sure which column numbers to use then you can
> complicate things even further and use a MATCH function to find the column
> for you:
>
> =SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,MATCH("name",A1:L1,0)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,MATCH("time",A1:L1,0)))
>
> Where "name" and "time" are the coulmn headers. "Name" is the column that
> would contain "BB" and "time" is the column that contains the numbers to
> SUMIF.
>
> Sometimes named ranges aren't the best way to go!
>
> Biff
>
> "Carole O" <CaroleO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Excel 2003
> >
> > I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets (all
> > in the same workbook) for a monthly report.  I have named ranges on each
> > shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3, S2M1...)
> > where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc.  The old formula
> > was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147).  I'm stumped
> > as
> > to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L of
> > S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T?  The range
> > changes each month, and I thought it would be better to change the name
> > range
> > monthly, rather than the cells in 100+ formulas.
> >
> > TIA
> > Carole O

0
CaroleO (115)
5/10/2005 7:02:11 PM
>I added another left paren to the Index function

Don't know why you would have needed to do that!

Anyhow, glad to be of help! Thanks for the feedback.

> Thanks, Biff -
>
> I added another left paren to the Index function, and it works perfectly.
>
> Just what I needed!!
>
> Carole O
> "Biff" wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> To me:
>>
>> =SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147)
>>
>> is a lot "simpler" than this:
>>
>> You can use the INDEX function like this:
>>
>>  =SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,1)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))
>>
>> The above example also assumes that column L is the first column in the
>> named range and column T is the second column in the named range.
>>
>> If you don't know for sure which column numbers to use then you can
>> complicate things even further and use a MATCH function to find the
>> column
>> for you:
>>
>> =SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,MATCH("name",A1:L1,0)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,MATCH("time",A1:L1,0)))
>>
>> Where "name" and "time" are the coulmn headers. "Name" is the column that
>> would contain "BB" and "time" is the column that contains the numbers to
>> SUMIF.
>>
>> Sometimes named ranges aren't the best way to go!
>>
>> Biff
>>
>> "Carole O" <CaroleO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Excel 2003
>> >
>> > I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets
>> > (all
>> > in the same workbook) for a monthly report.  I have named ranges on
>> > each
>> > shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3,
>> > S2M1...)
>> > where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc.  The old formula
>> > was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147).  I'm
>> > stumped
>> > as
>> > to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L
>> > of
>> > S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T?  The range
>> > changes each month, and I thought it would be better to change the name
>> > range
>> > monthly, rather than the cells in 100+ formulas.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Carole O

0
biffinpitt (3172)
5/10/2005 11:37:17 PM
I bet Carole was writing about this one:

=SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,1)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))
that became:
=SUMIF((INDEX(sim1,,1)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))
or removing the extra ")"

--

Dave Peterson
0

Carole O

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I bet Carole was writing about this one:
>
> =SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,1)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))
> that became:
> =SUMIF((INDEX(sim1,,1)),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))
> or removing the extra ")"
> =SUMIF(INDEX(sim1,,1),"BB",INDEX(sim1,,2))
>

> Biff wrote:
> >
> > >I added another left paren to the Index function
> >
> > Don't know why you would have needed to do that!
> >
> > Anyhow, glad to be of help! Thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > Biff
> >
> > "Carole O" <CaroleO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks, Biff -
> > >
> > > I added another left paren to the Index function, and it works perfectly.
> > >
> > > Just what I needed!!
> > >
> > > Carole O

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
CaroleO (115)

Chart Names
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is an easy one but I just can't figure it out. I have a worksheet with 3 charts on it. I need to write some VBA to select each chart in turn and change its axis settings. So I figured the first thing to do is to name the charts so that I can select them properly in the VBA. But how do I name a chart??? If I select the chart I get "Chart Area" in the name box and I can't edit it. Many thanks for any help, Tony M As answered in .programming -- Hold the Ctrl key and click on the chart to select it. Click in the Name Box, type a new ...

Naming a range
I have a such macro : Private Sub Macro1(arkusz As Worksheet) arkusz.Range(arkusz.PageSetup.PrintArea).Copy Sheets("Sheet1").Select Range("A" & Trim(Str(zLastRow))).Select Arkusz50.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="A1", RefersToR1C1:=Selection zLastRow = zLastRow + arkusz.Range(arkusz.PageSetup.PrintArea).Rows.Count Range("A" & Trim(Str(zLastRow))).Select ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.HPageBreaks.Add Before:=ActiveCell End Sub However the above macro doesnt work (this part: ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=&quo...

Name Assignment
I need to assign a staff memeber to a group of clients Staff Names Clients Milk Shoe A-F Form Code G-L John DOe M-P The table that contains the client information CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FD__CLIENTS]( [OP__DOCID] [int] NOT NULL, [Fullname] [varchar](68) NULL, [NameF] [varchar](20) NULL, [NameL] [varchar](20) NULL, [NameMI] [varchar](20) NULL CONSTRAINT [PK_FD__CLIENTS] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED There is a staff table but there is nothing that ties it to the clients table. So the staf names will have to be hardcoded. Any ideas? On...

Excel 2002: How to identify row of data ?
Hi, Happy New Year to you. I have the following table: A B C D E Total Type 1 0 -100 0 +100 0 0 B 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 A 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 A 4 -500 0 +500 0 -750 +750 B I would like to assign row type as "A" when all the cell...

How do I remove the sheet name from a named formula?
I would like to use the same name to refer to the same set of cells on different worksheets: SheetTitle=$A$1 but when I try this it reverts to SheetTitle=Sheet1!$A$1 Any ideas how to do it? I could use =IF(,,,) if I knew how to look up the currently active sheet; =IF(SheetName="Sheet1",TRUE,FALSE) Any ideas how to reference the name of the sheet? Well, you could do something like this: SheetTitle=!$A$1 The exclamation point means that the Name will refer to A1 on the active worksheet. Excel uses the SheetName to tell things apart. If I try to give to different A1'...

Auto populate Email when Name is chosen
I have a list of names which i present in a combo box on the userform. I have an email textbox. I want the email to be auto-populated based on the name chosed. May I ask your help with this? Hi Jerry, Only the first procedure is really relevant in this post the others are to show how you may want to call it but, that entirely depends on your needs. Private sub BuildAndSend has 4 required parameters “ToWhom”, “Subject”,”Body”, and “Send”. Pass the appropriate values to the procedure and it will send or display an email to the user to send. HTH. Private Sub BuildAndSend( _ ...

Custom entity with same display name as out of the box?
I tried to create a new entity "new_InvoiceDDI" with a display name of "Invoice" and it won't allow the display name to be the same as a "out of the box" entity. Why is this? Anyone know a way around it? CRM 4.0 Mark Hi Mark, There's no way around it except renaming the existing invoice entity to something else. One obvious reason is the Outlook Client. It uses the display names to show folders, but folders needs to have a unique name. The web client uses the display names as well, so how can a user differentiate between two entities having the...

smtp display question
Hi all - Using Exchange 5.5 sp4 and Outlook 2003 - in a NT 4 domain. Let's say i have a user with the primary smtp address of jack@company.com and internal display name of smith, jack - and I've added an additional smtp addresses to his account - jill@company.com. He opens up outlook and all inbox mail shows his internal display name as the "TO:". Is there anyway to show which of his differing smtp address it was originally sent to without going into the mail headers - hopefully, I'm just missing the config. Thanks much. In news:e%235dAAAkGHA.1320@TK2MSF...

Populate combobox with folder names
I had found this code to show folder names that displays in a msgbox, is it possible to get the list of folder names into a combobox? --------------------------------------- Sub ListFolders() Dim fs, f, f1, fc, s Dim folderspec folderspec = "C:\Excel\" Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set f = fs.GetFolder(folderspec) Set fc = f.SubFolders For Each f1 In fc s = s & f1.Name s = s & vbCrLf Next MsgBox s End Sub ---------------------------------------- This is for exc...

Instance name must be the same name as the computer name ...
I've seen many posts about this installation issue and ran across it myself during an install on an existing SBS server. When running Select @@servername I received a null answer. I looked in the sysservers table in the master database and found that there was no '0' server listed as I've seen on all other installs of SQL. I took a chance and changed the value to 0, restarted SQL and ran the @@servername and it now came back as the name of the server as expected and I was able to install CRM with no problems. Long term I don't know if this will cause issues with ...

Change the name of an employee class
Is there a way in the SQL table to change the name of employee classes? Patti, Where did you want to change them (cards, trx, history, etc). There are several tables involved. Would it be possible to make new classes starting with the class you want to duplicate as a default. Please let us know what you are trying to accomplish by changing classes. Kind regards, Leslie "Patti Anderson" wrote: > Is there a way in the SQL table to change the name of employee classes? Our naming convention has changed, and requires changing the names of all employee classes...

Named Reference
Hi, Can someone tell me what the pros and cons are (if any) of these 2 ways of naming a range. ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add NAME:="HOME", RefersTo:=ActiveCell Range("HOME").Select or Dim HOME As Range Set HOME = ActiveCell HOME.Select Thanks, DaveU It seems to me that the first method creates a named range that is essentially meaningless to the user and is only used for VBA processing. Additionally, if you don't write code to delete the named range it will just sit there in the workbook waiting for somebody to ask what it means. The second alternative is a clea...

DelayLoad questions
I am tryng to delay load a DLL and have a few questions hopefully somebody can answer. If I correctly setup a DLL to be delay loaded would it be required to be in my PATH on startup even though I am not invoking any functions defined in the DLL at startup time. Is there some tool I can use (maybe process monitor or something along that line) that will show me that my DLL has not been loaded even though my program is running. Lastly, is there a preferred method to delay loading a DLL. Is it better to to do it programatically or through options in Visual Studio? Thanks in advance for all tha...

"Name Conflict" when Excel 2007 open an old worksheet
Hi all, An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the worksheet file name could not solve the problem after tested. Why? Thank you, Chik "Chik" <c...@netvigator.com> wrote... >An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as >a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also >could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change th...

convert from last name, first name TO first name, last name
How can I convert my contacts (as a group menaing all of them at once0 from the last name, first name to first name last name, without having to enter EACH cotnact and perform it almost 400 times? Also, in what format would you suggest trying to print my contacts showing fields name mobile, home, work phone and email address? I assume there is a way to make used defined fields? You'll need to create a post with enough information that others could understand it. How are we to know which field or view you are trying to "convert?" Be specific. I would suggest pri...

Another UI thread question
I'm wondering if I'm doing my message handling all wrong. Currently when I send my thread a messages (using postthreadmessage from my main app.) I handling it in the PreTranslateMessage function. While reading the MSDN I noticed that it said that all messages come in to the run function and are then passed on to the PreTranslateMessage function. Is this true? What are the remifications of leaving it like it is if it's working? Thanks Tom tawright915 wrote: > I'm wondering if I'm doing my message handling all wrong. Currently > when I send my thread a messages ...

Edit Licensed to Name
I need to edit my last name in the Office 2004 registration (Splash screen). How can I do this? Thanks In article <news-AC4BCA.12232514102004@msnews.microsoft.com>, news@biggerhammer.org wrote: > I need to edit my last name in the Office 2004 registration (Splash > screen). How can I do this? > > Thanks Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/pid.html ...

Moving mailbox question
I am moving mailboxes between exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. I've noticed after the move, in Exchange 5.5, the mailbox still exist. Shouldn't the mailbox be deleted or removed from exchange 5.5? Thanks how, exactly, are you moving them? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "sean" <nosean@noemail.gmail.com> wrote in message news:Orrizb8FHHA.5000@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I am moving mailboxes between exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. I've noticed >after the move, in Exchange 5.5, the mailbox still exist. Shouldn't the >mailbox be deleted or removed from e...

Name Tags
I'm working on putting together some name tags using Publisher but when I get to the name tags and what one's to use, it will only let me print the same name tag on one sheet. How can I put more then one name on a sheet of name tags? Thanks Use mail merge. Create a database with the names, you can do this in Publisher. Click Mail Merge on the toolbar (Publisher 2000), create Publisher Address List. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://mvps.org/msauer/ "Gideon" <gideonkaine@hotmail.com> wrote in message news...

to create nametags, I want 8 names per sheet, not 1 name 8 times
After using an excell database as the source and mail merging, I am getting a sheet of 8 nametags with the smae person's name instead of 8 different names per sheet. How do I fix this? Are you looking at print preview? There is a bug in Publisher that when you view print preview the same information is on all labels. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22F2F053-3985-4D41-8F0B-E1E20119DF92@microsoft.com... > After using an excell datab...

How do I view Pivot Table source data file and field names?
I'd like information on how you can view the name/reference for the source data of a Pivot Table. For Example, in MS Access and Cognos Impromptu you can go to SQL view and see where data in a Query is coming from. It's easy to find the source of formulas in Excel, using the Audit Toolbar. I'd like a way to quickly view the file name (whether an Excel file or external source) and field names that were used to create the Pivot Table. chocolate2346 Wrote: > I'd like information on how you can view the name/reference for the > source > data of a Pivot Table. Fo...

Wrong name in Outlook
Hi group Win 2003, Exc. 2003 sp2 and Outlook 2003. During creation of a new user, there where a spelling error in the users name. The username, display name is changed in AD Users & Computers. But in Outlook, the name is stille shown wrong. How do I change this? I know I can export e-mails to .pst file, delete the mailbox create a new and exchange take's the display name from AD, check that property "Lars" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eY9ZFUyNHHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi group > > Win 2003, Exc. 2003 sp2 and Outlook 2003. > ...

how to list files in a directory with a certain name
How can I list files in a directory starting by something and put the names in an wchart_t array. For instance I have in my directory the following files : R0SampFingerPic.raw R1SampFingerPic.raw R2SampFingerPic.raw R3SampFingerPic.raw R4SampFingerPic.raw L0SampFingerPic.raw L1SampFingerPic.raw L2SampFingerPic.raw L3SampFingerPic.raw L4SampFingerPic.raw blabla.txt bldlsdls.dat and i want to write a function that list only the files with a SampFingerPic string. FindFiles(L"*SampFingerPic.raw"); While I am at it, is it possible to use regexp for this function ? Take a look ...

converting excel rows into text
How can I take a row of data from a spreadsheet and convert it into text separated by commas in a Word document? I tried "saving as" but it didn't work as I expected it to. Thanks! Try saving the sheet as a .csv (File>Save As>Save as type: CSV) Then open the .csv in Word -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,000 Files:354 Subscribers:53 xdemechanik --- "mediamom" wrote: > How can I take a row of data from a spreadsheet and convert it into text > separated by commas in a Word document? I tried "saving as" but it ...

Drop Down Question
At one point, I think I read dynamic drop down would be possible with crm 3.0. Is this true? If so, can you link me to some documentation or sample code in how I can do this? Let me describe what I’m trying to accomplish. I’m looking to propagate a referrals drop down based on the challenges records in a custom entity I created. So, the parent drop down would provide a list of the distinct challenges. When one is selected, it would fill the referral drop down with all the referrals available with a challenge type of the parent drop down. Possible? Thanks for your help! ...