named excel lists

I'm somewhat of a newbie, so I may not be asking this question with
the correct terminology. I'd like to define a name and attach it to the
range of an "excel (2003) list". If I add a new row or column to the "excel
list",
then the range is suitable extended. How?

Try Debra Dalgleish's nice coverage of Dynamic Ranges at:

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

Look for "Create a Dynamic Range"

--
Rgds
Max
"hidden" <hidden123456@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm somewhat of a newbie, so I may not be asking this question with
> the correct terminology. I'd like to define a name and attach it to the
> range of an "excel (2003) list". If I add a new row or column to the
"excel
> list",
> then the range is suitable extended. How?

0
demechanik (4694)
4/9/2004 2:40:25 AM
> I'm somewhat of a newbie, so I may not be asking this question with
> the correct terminology. I'd like to define a name and attach it to the
> range of an "excel (2003) list". If I add a new row or column to the
"excel
> list",
> then the range is suitable extended. How?

It's actually easier than I thought. Create an "excel list" using some
means,
say Data > List > Create List. Once list is in place, Define a name whose
value is the range "upperleft" cell of the list and "lower right" of the
list.
I did it by clicking on the cells. As the "excel list" grows or shrinks,
the name's binding is suitably modified. Cool. I was a little thrown off
that the cell's range was in absolute row/col form $A$1. But that doesn't
seem to matter.

"hidden" <hidden123456@hotmail.com> wrote
> .. say Data > List > Create List.

Ahh, this option must be a "new" feature,
at least with respect to xl 97 anyway
(It's not in xl 97)

Good to know that you solved your own query !
Thanks for feeding back to the newsgroup.
--
Rgds
Max
Please respond, in newsgroup
xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
----

0
demechanik (4694)

NDR/DSN and LDAP distribution lists problem
Hi all, I have a small problem with NDRs here. I will give a quick example of my problem. Currently when sending to a DL here the DL is a contact in the exchange GAL, once sent this queries a LDAP server and returns the list of addresses to send to, and off it gos. Here is an example of a delivery reciept: ------------------------------------------------- Your message To: distrib.one (Distribution List) Subject: Test Message - Please Ignore Sent: 3/3/2005 10:44 AM was delivered to the following recipient(s): distrib.one (Distribution List) on 3/3/2005 10:44 AM ...

Chart Names
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is an easy one but I just can't figure it out. I have a worksheet with 3 charts on it. I need to write some VBA to select each chart in turn and change its axis settings. So I figured the first thing to do is to name the charts so that I can select them properly in the VBA. But how do I name a chart??? If I select the chart I get "Chart Area" in the name box and I can't edit it. Many thanks for any help, Tony M As answered in .programming -- Hold the Ctrl key and click on the chart to select it. Click in the Name Box, type a new ...

Naming a range
I have a such macro : Private Sub Macro1(arkusz As Worksheet) arkusz.Range(arkusz.PageSetup.PrintArea).Copy Sheets("Sheet1").Select Range("A" & Trim(Str(zLastRow))).Select Arkusz50.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="A1", RefersToR1C1:=Selection zLastRow = zLastRow + arkusz.Range(arkusz.PageSetup.PrintArea).Rows.Count Range("A" & Trim(Str(zLastRow))).Select ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.HPageBreaks.Add Before:=ActiveCell End Sub However the above macro doesnt work (this part: ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=&quo...

Modified Excel??????
In Microsoft Excel 97 there is a option where I can open a file that is last modified in a week, month or even today but this option does not appear in Excel 2000. Does anyone know how I turn that on???? You have to go into Tools, Find and change the Property drop down to "Last Modified". -- Jim "WomensHealthUSA" <WomensHealthUSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91440F45-F4E1-4E02-9458-5959E1F66903@microsoft.com... | In Microsoft Excel 97 there is a option where I can open a file that is last | modified in a week, month or even today but this...

excel 2002 opening excel 97 files as read only !!!!
some users using excel 2000, some using excel 97. typical "enterprise" enviornment i guess. anyway, files open fine with excel 97 but when opening with the "new and improved" excel 2002, a (read only) appears at the top next to the file name. this is a new one on me, it's not "backward compatible" ?? when excel 2000 opens the files, it says some "plugin" isnt there and that there is an installer error 1605 or something but then opens it just fine. im truly lost on this one. So are we, Bill. You really need to get the exact messages. And... are t...

Name Assignment
I need to assign a staff memeber to a group of clients Staff Names Clients Milk Shoe A-F Form Code G-L John DOe M-P The table that contains the client information CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FD__CLIENTS]( [OP__DOCID] [int] NOT NULL, [Fullname] [varchar](68) NULL, [NameF] [varchar](20) NULL, [NameL] [varchar](20) NULL, [NameMI] [varchar](20) NULL CONSTRAINT [PK_FD__CLIENTS] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED There is a staff table but there is nothing that ties it to the clients table. So the staf names will have to be hardcoded. Any ideas? On...

Help on convert Custom Email Address Policy, Address List on Ex 20
Can someone help or give hint on how to convert this LDAP to OPATH filters: It's cutsom email address policy initially created on legacy exchange server and needs to be upgraded to exchange 2007 version: (&(&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!(homeMDB=*))(!(msEXchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=contact))(objectCategory=group)(objectCateory=publicFolder))))(objectCategory=user)(mail=*bc.com))) when we right clic...

How do I remove the sheet name from a named formula?
I would like to use the same name to refer to the same set of cells on different worksheets: SheetTitle=$A$1 but when I try this it reverts to SheetTitle=Sheet1!$A$1 Any ideas how to do it? I could use =IF(,,,) if I knew how to look up the currently active sheet; =IF(SheetName="Sheet1",TRUE,FALSE) Any ideas how to reference the name of the sheet? Well, you could do something like this: SheetTitle=!$A$1 The exclamation point means that the Name will refer to A1 on the active worksheet. Excel uses the SheetName to tell things apart. If I try to give to different A1'...

Auto populate Email when Name is chosen
I have a list of names which i present in a combo box on the userform. I have an email textbox. I want the email to be auto-populated based on the name chosed. May I ask your help with this? Hi Jerry, Only the first procedure is really relevant in this post the others are to show how you may want to call it but, that entirely depends on your needs. Private sub BuildAndSend has 4 required parameters “ToWhom”, “Subject”,”Body”, and “Send”. Pass the appropriate values to the procedure and it will send or display an email to the user to send. HTH. Private Sub BuildAndSend( _ ...

Excel and Word Attachments Time Out in OWA
I am having an odd problem in OWA. Many end users are experiencing time out problems when trying to access Word or Excel attachments in OWA on Exchange 2003. It appears to be only Word or Excel as others work fine. OWA is being accessed on a front-end server. However, all attachments work fine when accessed through the back-end server. Any ideas? ...

Custom entity with same display name as out of the box?
I tried to create a new entity "new_InvoiceDDI" with a display name of "Invoice" and it won't allow the display name to be the same as a "out of the box" entity. Why is this? Anyone know a way around it? CRM 4.0 Mark Hi Mark, There's no way around it except renaming the existing invoice entity to something else. One obvious reason is the Outlook Client. It uses the display names to show folders, but folders needs to have a unique name. The web client uses the display names as well, so how can a user differentiate between two entities having the...

displaying trnsparent backgroung image in list control
I am displaying image on background in my list control i am using SetbkImage(); but area where rows and columns are inserted in list image is not displayed there it gets displayed only in area which is empty can it be displayed in whole area of listcontrol wether there is any data or not means can it be transparent pls help in OnInitDialog() where i am inserting coloumns i write the following code // Insert Background Image into the ListControl LVBKIMAGE bki; if (m_ctrlListNews.GetBkImage(&bki) && (bki.ulFlags ==LVBKIF_SOURCE_NONE)) { m_ctrlListNews.SetBkImage(TEXT("C:\\c...

Opening new document in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just switched from PC to MacBookPro with Microsoft Office 2008. It seems puzzling that when I open Excel to begin a new workbook there seems to be multiple sheets already open. Is there a way to only one sheet open when starting a new document? <br> Thank you. Three sheets is the default number for Mac as well as PC versions of Excel [although I'm not 100% sure about 2007, but I believe it's the same). You can change the default in Excel> Preferences - General. Pick a number from 1-2...

excel is good
it is the best pogram in the world Well that is certainly a matter of opinion. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "eirik" <eirik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87027550-F81B-46C9-8E16-D2A2733C0AFF@microsoft.com... > it is the best pogram in the world ...

Populate combobox with folder names
I had found this code to show folder names that displays in a msgbox, is it possible to get the list of folder names into a combobox? --------------------------------------- Sub ListFolders() Dim fs, f, f1, fc, s Dim folderspec folderspec = "C:\Excel\" Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set f = fs.GetFolder(folderspec) Set fc = f.SubFolders For Each f1 In fc s = s & f1.Name s = s & vbCrLf Next MsgBox s End Sub ---------------------------------------- This is for exc...

Instance name must be the same name as the computer name ...
I've seen many posts about this installation issue and ran across it myself during an install on an existing SBS server. When running Select @@servername I received a null answer. I looked in the sysservers table in the master database and found that there was no '0' server listed as I've seen on all other installs of SQL. I took a chance and changed the value to 0, restarted SQL and ran the @@servername and it now came back as the name of the server as expected and I was able to install CRM with no problems. Long term I don't know if this will cause issues with ...

import snp file extension to MS Excel
I received a file with an extension snp, is there any way I can convert or import to MS Excel format? Thanks. Not to my knowledge, which is that SNP files can only be viewed with Access Snapshot Viewer. Ask the person that sent it to you to export it to Excel instead of SNP. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "TSS" <TSS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0B79D46-7545-4D30-9152-0D633590AF6E@microsoft.com... >I received a file with an extension snp, is there any way I can convert or > import to MS Excel format? > > Thanks. FWIW, De...

Change the name of an employee class
Is there a way in the SQL table to change the name of employee classes? Patti, Where did you want to change them (cards, trx, history, etc). There are several tables involved. Would it be possible to make new classes starting with the class you want to duplicate as a default. Please let us know what you are trying to accomplish by changing classes. Kind regards, Leslie "Patti Anderson" wrote: > Is there a way in the SQL table to change the name of employee classes? Our naming convention has changed, and requires changing the names of all employee classes...

Need help with OutputTo an Excel Spreadsheet
I have a table (APPROVED FOR CAL OUTGOINGt1) that needs to be exported to pre-existing spreadsheet "IMPORT DATA" tab. The spreadsheet is located on the desktop. How do I do this? Look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb214134.aspx Regards Kevin "DevilDog1978" <DevilDog1978@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C0B05FF-AFC9-4B30-9E84-4519AF501C20@microsoft.com... >I have a table (APPROVED FOR CAL OUTGOINGt1) that needs to be exported to > pre-existing spreadsheet "IMPORT DATA" tab. The spreadsheet is locate...

excel
I am trying to figure our how to create a drop box with multiple values - i.e. january, february, march... Something like a box that says "choose month" in the box and when you hit the arrow it allows you to scroll through the monthly options and choose one. I am currently using Excel 2000. I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL if someone could offer me a prompt response. Thank you Data / Validation / Change 'Any Value' to list and then select the list containing the values you wish to choose from, or instead of selecting a list, type Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr,May etc (including commas) in...

Named Reference
Hi, Can someone tell me what the pros and cons are (if any) of these 2 ways of naming a range. ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add NAME:="HOME", RefersTo:=ActiveCell Range("HOME").Select or Dim HOME As Range Set HOME = ActiveCell HOME.Select Thanks, DaveU It seems to me that the first method creates a named range that is essentially meaningless to the user and is only used for VBA processing. Additionally, if you don't write code to delete the named range it will just sit there in the workbook waiting for somebody to ask what it means. The second alternative is a clea...

Can you create a performance dashboard using Excel?
I'd like to create performance dashboards for organizations. These would consist of multiple charts on one page reflecting current and year to date performance for key measures. Is there an Excel template that does this? ...

"Name Conflict" when Excel 2007 open an old worksheet
Hi all, An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the worksheet file name could not solve the problem after tested. Why? Thank you, Chik "Chik" <c...@netvigator.com> wrote... >An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as >a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also >could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change th...

How to Break a link to a source in Excel 2000?
Trying to break links in a excel file. but does not appear in the links dialog box. Is there any other option of breaking links in excel 2000 Hi goto: http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm and search for Findlink.zip (http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany G wrote: > Trying to break links in a excel file. but does not appear in the > links dialog box. Is there any other option of breaking links in > excel 2000 ...

Removing support for OAB 2 and 3 Offline address list
If I'm running Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2 and no longer have any other older exchange servers in my domain why would I still need to support OAB 2 and 3 offline address list. What is the best practice for deleting the OAB 2 and 3 entries in my domain. The OAB's are specific to the client version as well. Why do you feel a need to remove them? It won't hurt anything to leave them there. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "RP in the Midwest" <RPintheMidwes...