Named Cell Ranges

If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and a cell A1 
in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean that the 
single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to) the named 
range in worksheet #2?
0
Confused1 (124)
10/6/2004 8:15:07 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

7 Replies
649 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

Not automatically no, the name is just a 'handle' to the rage that it refers
to.

-- 

HTH

RP

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B08A5ADC-76DD-434D-BB3D-CF6307AC7700@microsoft.com...
> If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and a cell
A1
> in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean that the
> single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to) the named
> range in worksheet #2?


0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/6/2004 8:27:05 PM
Would there be  way to do this?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Not automatically no, the name is just a 'handle' to the rage that it refers
> to.
> 
> -- 
> 
> HTH
> 
> RP
> 
> "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B08A5ADC-76DD-434D-BB3D-CF6307AC7700@microsoft.com...
> > If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and a cell
> A1
> > in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean that the
> > single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to) the named
> > range in worksheet #2?
> 
> 
> 
0
Confused1 (124)
10/6/2004 8:35:02 PM
Not sure if this went through the first time....

Is there a way to do this?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Not automatically no, the name is just a 'handle' to the rage that it refers
> to.
> 
> -- 
> 
> HTH
> 
> RP
> 
> "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B08A5ADC-76DD-434D-BB3D-CF6307AC7700@microsoft.com...
> > If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and a cell
> A1
> > in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean that the
> > single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to) the named
> > range in worksheet #2?
> 
> 
> 
0
Confused1 (124)
10/6/2004 8:49:01 PM
I guess that depends on why you want it automatically linked, and what
exactly you understand by this. If you mean that A3 updates dependent on
something happening in that range, that is easily achievable with worksheet
event code.

-- 

HTH

RP

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F01FAC27-3796-4439-80B7-39ED5126AC26@microsoft.com...
> Would there be  way to do this?
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Not automatically no, the name is just a 'handle' to the rage that it
refers
> > to.
> >
> > -- 
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > RP
> >
> > "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:B08A5ADC-76DD-434D-BB3D-CF6307AC7700@microsoft.com...
> > > If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and a
cell
> > A1
> > > in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean that
the
> > > single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to) the
named
> > > range in worksheet #2?
> >
> >
> >


0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/6/2004 8:49:33 PM
Yes, that's what I mean.  How would I do this? And is the reverse also 
possible (single cell within named range in 2nd sheet equals single cell in 
1st sheet)?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> I guess that depends on why you want it automatically linked, and what
> exactly you understand by this. If you mean that A3 updates dependent on
> something happening in that range, that is easily achievable with worksheet
> event code.
> 
> -- 
> 
> HTH
> 
> RP
> 
> "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F01FAC27-3796-4439-80B7-39ED5126AC26@microsoft.com...
> > Would there be  way to do this?
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > Not automatically no, the name is just a 'handle' to the rage that it
> refers
> > > to.
> > >
> > > -- 
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > RP
> > >
> > > "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:B08A5ADC-76DD-434D-BB3D-CF6307AC7700@microsoft.com...
> > > > If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and a
> cell
> > > A1
> > > > in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean that
> the
> > > > single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to) the
> named
> > > > range in worksheet #2?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> 
> 
> 
0
Confused1 (124)
10/6/2004 9:17:02 PM
Need more info confused.

What changes in the named range will generate what change in A3? What is the
name?

-- 

HTH

RP

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1D8895B4-17A5-436D-BE27-6A6263961ACB@microsoft.com...
> Yes, that's what I mean.  How would I do this? And is the reverse also
> possible (single cell within named range in 2nd sheet equals single cell
in
> 1st sheet)?
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > I guess that depends on why you want it automatically linked, and what
> > exactly you understand by this. If you mean that A3 updates dependent on
> > something happening in that range, that is easily achievable with
worksheet
> > event code.
> >
> > -- 
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > RP
> >
> > "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:F01FAC27-3796-4439-80B7-39ED5126AC26@microsoft.com...
> > > Would there be  way to do this?
> > >
> > > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Not automatically no, the name is just a 'handle' to the rage that
it
> > refers
> > > > to.
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > >
> > > > HTH
> > > >
> > > > RP
> > > >
> > > > "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:B08A5ADC-76DD-434D-BB3D-CF6307AC7700@microsoft.com...
> > > > > If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and
a
> > cell
> > > > A1
> > > > > in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean
that
> > the
> > > > > single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to)
the
> > named
> > > > > range in worksheet #2?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> >
> >


0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/6/2004 10:24:39 PM
I have a rather large table that lists different categories and many tasks 
for each category. I then named a separate sheet for each category and listed 
the tasks.  Each of the tasks are separated out into individual tables that 
list the steps to perform each task.  In order to save typing time (and to 
make sure the tasks read the exact same way), I set the table headings to 
equal the corresponding tasks on the original table.  I've also named each 
table in the attempt to "group" the cells together.  If I have to move one of 
the tasks around on the sheet #1, I want the steps to stay with the task on 
the subsequent sheets (if it's possible, I would also like for the tasks on 
the subsequent sheets to stay in the same order as the tasks on the first 
sheet).  Hopefully, I'm explaining this clearly enough.  I'm not even sure if 
this can be done, but if it can, it will be well worth it.  Can you help?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Need more info confused.
> 
> What changes in the named range will generate what change in A3? What is the
> name?
> 
> -- 
> 
> HTH
> 
> RP
> 
> "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1D8895B4-17A5-436D-BE27-6A6263961ACB@microsoft.com...
> > Yes, that's what I mean.  How would I do this? And is the reverse also
> > possible (single cell within named range in 2nd sheet equals single cell
> in
> > 1st sheet)?
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > I guess that depends on why you want it automatically linked, and what
> > > exactly you understand by this. If you mean that A3 updates dependent on
> > > something happening in that range, that is easily achievable with
> worksheet
> > > event code.
> > >
> > > -- 
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > RP
> > >
> > > "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:F01FAC27-3796-4439-80B7-39ED5126AC26@microsoft.com...
> > > > Would there be  way to do this?
> > > >
> > > > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Not automatically no, the name is just a 'handle' to the rage that
> it
> > > refers
> > > > > to.
> > > > >
> > > > > -- 
> > > > >
> > > > > HTH
> > > > >
> > > > > RP
> > > > >
> > > > > "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > > news:B08A5ADC-76DD-434D-BB3D-CF6307AC7700@microsoft.com...
> > > > > > If a range of cells (A1:B5)  in worksheet #2 is given a name, and
> a
> > > cell
> > > > > A1
> > > > > > in worksheet #1 equals cell A3 in worksheet #2, does that mean
> that
> > > the
> > > > > > single cell in worksheet #1 is automatically linked (or tied to)
> the
> > > named
> > > > > > range in worksheet #2?
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> 
> 
> 
0
Confused1 (124)
10/7/2004 12:37:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

In excel how do I protect the format of a cell but let the user c.
In excel how do I protect the format of a cell but let the user change the cell value? once the format is set the data entered will match the format Cheers peterm "John Louis" wrote: > In excel how do I protect the format of a cell but let the user change the > cell value? I want to protect the cell format like in a sheet protection of a cell, so that for other users can change the content of the cell but not use 'Format Cell Number' to chage the format let say from a time to a % "John Louis" wrote: > In excel how do I protect the format of a cell...

Excel 2002: Can I not overwriting non blank destination cells ?
Hi, I understand that Copy > Paste Special > Skip Blanks allows copied blanks cells not to overwrite non blank cells in the destination column. How about the other way round ? i.e. to paste only the copied cells (blank or non blank cel)l if the destination cells is blank only i.e not to overwrites any destination cels if it is not a balnk cells. Thanks Low ...

Extract the Sheet Name
D/a, Is there any option like a function or a macro to extract the sheet names in a excel file. For Example: I have a Excel file with 10 Sheets names IT1,IT2,IT3,IT4... IT10 I want all these names in a seperate file/sheet in this format A B C 1 IT1 2 IT2 3 IT3 4 IT4 5 IT5 6 IT6 7 IT7 8 IT8 9 IT9 10 IT10 Thanks in Advance Hi, This small macro will put them in column A of the activesheet Sub Sheet_List() Dim x As Long For x = 1 To Worksheets.Count Cells(x, 1) = Sheets(x).Name Next End Sub Mike "Vital_ar" wrote: > D/a, &...

Highlighted cells
I am adding a string of several cells. When I would cick on the cell had my forumula in it would put a color highlight around each cel that was used in my formula. It is about 50 + cells now and when click in the formula cell nothing is highlighted . How do I get th cells in my formula to be highlighted when i click in the cell with m formula? thank -- layou ----------------------------------------------------------------------- layout's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3773 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=5739...

how do i superscript part of a cell in MS Excel? #2
When I use the superscript option after selecting just a portion of the cell, the superscript appears during edit mode only. How do I get it so it appears as superscript on the spreadsheet or when printing? Again, I'm only trying to superscript part of a cell's contents, not the entire cell. Did you hit enter have you applied the format change? And you can't do this kind of formatting to formulas or real numbers. It has to be text. If you do this a lot... John Walkenbach has a helpful addin that you may like: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm allan wrote: >...

Named Property Quota Limit
The property names all seem to be generating from a product called PreciseMail Anti-Spam Gateway, part of the PMDF PreciseMail product which we use. Does anyone know how to fix this error permanently besides just expanding the quota limit and/or moving all of the mailboxes in the store to a new store every time the quota limit is reached. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9667 Date: 2/8/2007 Time: 5:23:15 PM User: N/A Computer: editservername Description: Failed to create a new named property for database "Fourth Storage Group\Mailbox Stor...

Show actual name of file path after you have renamed it
Hi everyone- I am writing a code in excel VBA for word. I am linking tables from various excel files to one word document. I need to specifiy which excel file table is placed into the word document. The code opens up several excel files of the users choosing, renames that path to something more general (Study Opt1FE1), and then this is where the difficulty comes in. I am running for loops and when a certain combination of numbers in the for loops matches what I renamed my path files to, the code will link that files tables to my word document. The code for linking the tables is as follows...

Different formatting in a cell with a concatenated formula?
I have a concatenated formula that pulls text from 2 different cells. The 2 cells are formatted differently (i.e. 1 cell has blue text an the other cell has red text and a different font) and I want to kee these formats. However, the cell with the concatenated formula take the format of that cell. Is there anyway to do this -- andy281 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- andy2812's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1596 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27440 You men to have th...

Excel's automatic formatting of cell entries
Can someone tell me how to turn off or change Excel's automatic formatting of cell entries? I have text that I want preserved as text when I enter (or paste or replace!) it but Excel gets cute, guesses it is date data and changes the cell formatting to a date format. This is very frustrating because it changes the values from the original entries. And I do not have the option to use Special Paste. And I tried setting the format of the cell to "Text" before pasting or replacing and it still changes the format. ARG! Thanks. Chris ...

Hotkey to apply formula to LAST valid cell in row or column
After typing a formula in (let's say) Cell A3.. what are the hotkeys to apply that formula to the LAST populated cell in the row? (or column?) Is this a valid thing to attempt or ask? Again.. its often difficult to drag the mouse over a LARGE range of cells. -Gregory To select from A3 to the last non-blank cell in row 3 hit CTRL + SHIFT + Right Arrow. The hit CTRL + d to fill across. Same for down a column except use Down Arrow. This will overwrite what you already have in that row or column. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 23 Feb 2007 10:22:26 -0800, "Gregory" <gab...

How to determine adapter driver name from disk handle?
I'm attempting to do something that seems like it should be very easily doable, and yet... not. I have a list of loaded drivers. From that I can also determine their PCI location. I have a list of adapters, but not neccessarily their drivers, friendlynames, etc (unless they're SCSI and then there are some direct registry reads to CurrentControlSet that can work.) I have a list of drives and their handles. I can get the "adapter number" that they're attached to. I can get their SCSI address. Is there any way to correlate the drives and adapt...

printing a list of file names for images in a Publisher document
I have about 35 Publisher booklets each of which contain on average 25 images, linked from files. For documentation purposes I want to get a printed list of all the image files used in each document. I can use the Tools-->Graphics Manager to display a list of the linked files, but I can not then copy this list, eg to Word. Is there any way you can suggest to solve this ? The graphics manager is a tear-off menu, which means you can lengthen it. Do a print screen and paste into Paint, crop. Any capture program will work. I tried the OCR, didn't work. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP ...

Pivot tables, linking to a named range as a source to a pivot table
I have created a main worksheet within the same workbook of many pivot tables, and I want to use this same worksheet as the source of information to these different pivot table sheets off of which I create charts. I want to use a named range because there are over 4,000 rows in this main worksheet. I am not sure if I need a "=" to start the reference or what to do. I thought I should just use nameofworksheet!database if I name the range "database", but when I point and click to the sheet, it is just inserting the name "database" without the name of the...

Parameter Query using date ranges
I am creating a parameter query where I want to pull data between 2 dates. In the date criteria of my query, if I write between #01/01/2008# and #01/31/2008# +1, I will get all data for January. If I use a form to enter the dates and have Between [Forms]![autoexec]![start] And [Forms]![autoexec]![end] +1 in the date criteria, I get an error. Does anyone know what I should put in the criteria to make the query work? Are you entering your dates as m/d/y? What happens if you try: DateAdd("d", 1, [Forms]![autoexec]![end]) Is the form open? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access...

Lookup a range and insert range name into second worksheet
Hi, Worksheet 1 Column B Column K Delivery x Allocation A Delivery x Allocation A Delivery x Allocation B Delivery x Allocation C Delivery x Allocation C Delivery x Allocation C Delivery x Allocation D Worksheet 2 COL 1 Col 2 Col 3 Col 4 ROW 13 Allocation A Allocation B Allocation C Allocation D I need to be able to automatically insert the allocation name in wks2 as it is added in wks1. The allocations cannot be pre...

concatenate cell with text
Hello, I need to CONCATENATE text: A B C D 1 To Ta (empty) Tu Formula "=CONCATENATE(A1:D1)" doesn't work.... and matrix formula "{=CONCATENATE(A1:D1)}" doesn't work too.... (result is "To") Any idea ? Thanks for your help Gilles Provost Gilles Why not just =A1&B1&C1&D1 -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS www.nickhodge.co.uk "Gilles P (FR)" <GillesPFR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22A3F435-4E15-4B...

"client last name" & client table "last name" same info-join?how
Access job table has "client last name" & client table has "last name". same data different name. when i try to join relationship nothing happens with the data. it is not sharing data for last name.??? Are you sure you want to do that? How many "Smith" or "Jones" or "Fernandes" or "Ivanov" entries might there be in a job or a client table? Joining on "last name" is not a good idea... -- Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services menti...

changing an ID to a user friendly name
Hi, I'm designing a query, one of the fields is an ID. These single digit numbers means nothing to me or the user. How can I include in the query design the ID's equivalent in user friendly words. E.g. 1 = "Primary", 2 = "Secondary", etc. If this is possible, please include if I enter your solution on the Field row, or the Criteria row or whereever. Thanks for any help you can offer, Harold Harold, I would create a "Lookup Table" in AC. It looks like it will only need 2 columns. The "ID" Column and a "Description" Column. ...

adding percentages to cells
I have no idea how to do this or if it's possible but I've been at this for hours and am at a loss. I have 15,000 cells in one column that all have to have different percentage mark ups. For instance the entire column is a "wholesale" price. Certain items need to be marked up 50% others 40% and others 75%. All groups are together in the colum so for instance cells 1-280 need to be marked up 50%, cells 281-900 need to be marked up 40%, and cells 901-3400 need to be marked up 75% and so on. How can I highlight the cells and do a simple mark up without having t...

To determine the font of a cell and change it if required
I need to have a sub The sub checks range A1 to A10 and determine the font of the cell IF the font is not Times new roman it makes the font to times new roman and the font size to 10 also, if the font is not installed in the system it should give a message. ANy tips will be appreciated Thanks in advance. On May 6, 8:33=A0pm, Subodh <getsub...@gmail.com> wrote: > I need to have a sub > The sub checks range A1 to A10 > and determine the font of the cell > IF the font is not Times new roman > it makes the font to times new roman > and the font size to 10 ...

Character for second line in a cell
What character or entity does one enter to generate a second line of text in a cell? -- Thank you, Gary Hold down the Alt key and press Enter at the same time to get a linefeed within a cell, then carry on typing. Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 8, 12:40=A0pm, Gary Fitzgerald <GaryFitzger...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What character or entity does one enter to generate a second line of text= in > a cell? > -- > Thank you, > Gary Press [Alt]+[Enter] when typing into a cell, or in VB use either Chr$(10) or the built-in VB constant vbL...

master reformat cells to comma delimited format
I want to transfer info from an excel spreadsheet and need to convert the large spreadsheet to a comma delimited format. Thoughts? Thanks! ...

When saving add automatically contents of a specified cell in document properties
Hello, Looking for help on the following: When I save my worksheet, I would like the contents of a specified cel to be copied in the document properties. More specifically in the fiel 'key words' in the properties. I tried to create a macro but it does not record to copy text from cell in the field 'key words' in the document properties. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, Nadi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Nadia You can try this Sub Fill_in_DocProperties() With ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties ..Item("Title") = ActiveW...

? Index of Names
Hi, I need some help with a query I have. I have a range of cells in sheet 1 and Sheet 2 as below Cell Range A1 to A4 J Bloggs M Smith R Scott G Thomson What I need to do is list J Bloggs on sheet 3 M Smith in sheet 4 R Scott in sheet 5 G Thomson in sheet 6 so in sheet 3 M Smith will be put into cells A1 and A2 2 inputs as from sheets 1 and 2 and so on for the rest of the names also. Can anyone help me with this? Mant thanks Mark ...

Count Cell Range
I am having problems figuring out a Count command within a certain range. This is what I am looking for If Cells D1:D20 are less than Cell B2, Count the total cells that are less than B2 I know this is probably easy, but i just font get it Thanks again -- discgolfer_1999 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ discgolfer_1999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27821 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473667 Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(D1:D20,"<"&B2) Biff "...