Mysteriously Deleted Files

Hello, this is my first attempt at a newsgroup and I'm
hoping that someone might know what's happening to this
system I'm working on.

The computer I'm dealing with has Office XP pro installed
on it, and recently the shortcut links on the left side of
excell relayed an error message concerning the files being
missing.  I used the search function to locate all of
my .xls and .doc files and only the hidden and system
files returned as matches.  I then looked the nortan
protected recycle bin to see if any files had been deleted
and possibly be restored, and a few excell files listed
but upon restoration they were all just shortcuts.

I can't figure out why all the files were deleted and only
shortcuts to some of the files list in the recycle bin.
What would have created shortcuts to the files and then
deleted them all?

All current attempts to make new files succeed and I can
find them and look at them.  Any help or solutions to this
mystery would be much appreciated.  Thank you.
0
jwhite007 (1)

What happened between when you last used the files and their disappearance? Did you change your setup in any way? Did you reorganise your file structure? Did you change your user name?

There could be thousands of reasons your files went missing eally.

"John" wrote:

> Hello, this is my first attempt at a newsgroup and I'm
> hoping that someone might know what's happening to this
> system I'm working on.
>
> The computer I'm dealing with has Office XP pro installed
> on it, and recently the shortcut links on the left side of
> excell relayed an error message concerning the files being
> missing.  I used the search function to locate all of
> my .xls and .doc files and only the hidden and system
> files returned as matches.  I then looked the nortan
> protected recycle bin to see if any files had been deleted
> and possibly be restored, and a few excell files listed
> but upon restoration they were all just shortcuts.
>
> I can't figure out why all the files were deleted and only
> shortcuts to some of the files list in the recycle bin.
> What would have created shortcuts to the files and then
> deleted them all?
>
> All current attempts to make new files succeed and I can
> find them and look at them.  Any help or solutions to this
> mystery would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

0
Vaughan (64)
7/9/2004 12:25:02 PM
Well, it's not my computer so I couldn't vouch for any
activities, but I'm pretty sure that they only have one
user account and they are not advanced or even
intermediate users.  What really baffles me is why there
were only shortcuts to he missing files recoverable.

0
anonymous (74725)

Lost File
I typed a file in Excel and exited accidently without saving the changes. Is there any hope that it is stored somewhere on my PC in a temporary folder? I can't find anything. No :-( -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "rayeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1239201c3f5da$5abc9590$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I typed a file in Excel and exited accidently without > saving the changes. Is there any hope that it is stored > som...

In what all cases deleting the cache is required?

How can I delete all hyperlinks at once in an excel document
I have an Excel spreadsheet for our department's use which has much information that would be useful to other departments. We have hyperlinked copies of drawing data to this document which we do not want to have available to everyone. Can I copy this file to a different location and then delete all the hyperlinks at once easily? Thanks, cindylou5594 Hello Cindylou, This newsgroup is for questions concerning Microsoft Project, not Microsoft Excel. That being said, assuming your links are to documents, a find command looking for the "\" character should find an...

Delete Entire Calendar?
How can I delete the entire calendar and start over? The help files and other efforts have not been successful. >-----Original Message----- >How can I delete the entire calendar and start over? The >help files and other efforts have not been successful. >. > Joggernot <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I delete the entire calendar and start over? The > help files and other efforts have not been successful. Open your calendar. Click >View>Current View>By Category. Highlight all your entries and press Delete. All done. -- Bria...

Mystery Formula
The reference below is in an entire column of cells. The cell C7 is a number (14,000) that appears to be a constant multiplier for the entire column. I'm trying to find out what the , in front of the cell reference signifies, and what "TABLE" is being referenced. Thanks! {=TABLE(,C7)} ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Mike Polo wrote... > The reference below is in an entire column of cells. The cell C7 is a > number (14,000) that appears to be a constant...

Mysterious Filling of Disk Space
I am experiencing a new problem with Outlook 2007. I can think of no change that has been made to cause this problem. My PC has limited space free as it uses a Solid State Disk. In reality there is usually around 1.5Gb free. When I start Outlook the free disk space will be rapidly consumed such that it is all gone within about 15 minutes and applications start o fail. This is annoying with Outlook because it corrupts the setup and requires me to reset the navpane. If I shutdown Outlook the disk space stops being consumed but is not released. When I reboot, the disk sp...

Why meta file looks different from DIB?
Hi, I'm doing something with windows meta file and meet some problems. I use ::CreateMetaFile(...), ::StretchDIBits(...) and ::CloseMetaFile(...) to create a memory meta file with the same content as DIB. Then I make a METAFILEPICT struct and use CF_METAFILEPICT format for drag and drop support to other applications, like Excel2000, because it does not support CF_DIB format. The problem is like this, I use an original DIB of 256*256 pixels, with each pixel RGB(128,128,128). After creating the meta file, I use ::GetMetaFileBitsEx(...) and find the corresponding BYTEs are 0x80,0x...

Loads of Mystery appointments (mysteriously deleted)?
Here's a wierd one... there are hundreds of deleted appointments in my deleted items folder they are all scheduled for 'Tue 01/01/1980' and in every other respect resemble an appointment that I was invited to about a year ago. The appointment is titled 'Michelle at Pearsons', and each one in deleted items, has a partner called 'Updated: 'Michelle at Pearsons'. But I haven't done anything with this appointment at all - for about a year - I only discovered them recently when Google sync alerted me to the fact that I'd deleted 12 appointments today....

PST file size exceeded
If you exceed the 2.0gig file size on personal folders, how do you recover it in Outlook 2000? See this page: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "chuber" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:051201c3a922$7cc76390$a001280a@phx.gbl... > If you exceed the 2.0gig file size on personal folders, > how do you recover ...

delete multple objects in visio
I need to select multiple objects in visio to delete. I am working with a file developed by somebody who is no longer with my company anymore. I need to be able to delete these objects from the sheet. There doesn't appear to be any grouping and protection does not appear to be used. Help! Hi Brad, If you can't select multiple objects eg. green handles around the shape doesn't appear then it looks like the shapes are on a locked layer Check the layer in view/layer and see if the 'lock' tab is checked If so remove the check and try again A shape can be locked for d...

Excel file with 52 sheets
I have received a file that was protected by sheets, means that wvery single sheet is protected, I got the password, but just wondering if there is a macro I can use to unprotect every single sheet the protect it again. Thanks in advance for your help Sub ProtectAllSheets() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim n As Single For n = 1 To Sheets.Count Sheets(n).Protect Password:="justme" 'adjust pword Next n Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub Sub UnprotectAllSheets() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim n As Single For n = 1 To S...

How to send EFT files to the bank
My company is looking at setting up EFT so we can pay or vendors electronically. Problem is in all the help documentation it shows you how to setup checkbooks and the like, but the help docs stop at the point where the files need to be transferred to the bank. I need to know what "communications software" we will use to transfer the EFT files to the bank. Our Microsoft Dynamics partner said there is a GP integrated app that will do this. Can anyone tell what they are using for this? Thanks! Example: 8. After the sample EFT file is generated, the program will re...

Mysteriously Deleted Files
Hello, this is my first attempt at a newsgroup and I'm hoping that someone might know what's happening to this system I'm working on. The computer I'm dealing with has Office XP pro installed on it, and recently the shortcut links on the left side of excell relayed an error message concerning the files being missing. I used the search function to locate all of my .xls and .doc files and only the hidden and system files returned as matches. I then looked the nortan protected recycle bin to see if any files had been deleted and possibly be restored, and a few excell f...

How do I delete duplicate records from an entire Excel workbook?
In Excel 2002, I am looking to identify and delete duplicate records in an entire workbook, not just in one sheet. Many thanks for any help anyone can offer. ...

Find customer number and delete row
Excel Gurus et al, I need your help. I want to set up a macro that searches for a custome number in column G and when it finds the customer number it deletes th row. Could someone please help me with the code. So it would basically search for column G for cust number 29752, 2975 and 29788 and when it would find these numbers it would delete th entire row they reside in. Thanks a lot! S -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this macro: Sub DeleteRows() Dim iLastRow As Integer Dim i As Integer Application.ScreenUpdating = False iLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "G")...

I deleted all macros in Excel but still get dialog box
I created a macro in excel and decided not to use it so I deleted it. I made my other changes, saved the file and when I open my excel file I now get the dialog box that prompts me to: "Disable Macros... Enable Macros....., etc". I don't want this box to appear and can't seem to find anywhere on how to prevent this from happening. I have no macros so don't know why this keeps appearing. You need to remove the module as well. See http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros for details. -- HTH Bob Phillips "VenitaC" <VenitaC@discussions.micr...

Populate a footer on a protected form with text from mixture of text form fields & drop down form filed
I have a form which generates the filename from various drop down fields/ text fields(for extraction of text in one field, the text is split, only using PART of the entry) I would like to populate the footer with the generated filename BEFORE the file is saved with this auto generated name. The code I am using to create the fileneame & save with this name is (section after "Call RunSpellCheck": Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() If ActiveDocument.FormFields("classificationDD").Result = "ENTER REPORT CLASSIFICATION" Then MsgBox "You forgot to fill in th...

VBA Select File
I am using Excel 2003. I have a workbook that runs a macro to search through all files in a folder for specific text, and extract that text into the worksheet. I need to create another macro where just a single file can be selected then extract the data from the one file only. I tried to modify the VBA, but run into an error code 'Object Required'. What I attempted to do was: Sub GetSingleFile() DestSht = "sheet1" With ThisWorkbook.Sheets(DestSht) SearchData = .Range("A1").Text End With Dim fd As FileDialog Set fd = Application.GetOpenFile...

delete cell
Hi I need a macro which upon finding "=-" in a cell in column clears tha cell, not delete , clears that cell. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Have you try Edit Replace in the Menu Bar -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "vikram >" <<vikram.178fog@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:vikram.178fog@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi > > I need a macro which upon finding "=-" in a cell in column clears that > cell, not delete , clears that cell. > thanks > > > --- > Message pos...

Junk mail, deleted mail and reminders
Got a new laptop for Christmas and now has Windows live mail, but I am experiening some problems. 1) There is a junk mail button in my windows live mail, but when clicked it does squat. If you right mouse click on the junk mail and scroll down to "mark as junk" it pops up a window telling me there is an error. 2) There is a delete folder, but the deleted emails never show up there, they just completly disappear into oblivion and there is no way to double check if something was deleted that shouldn't have been. 3) Tried to set up calendar reminders to SMS my...

how to transfer report to pdf file?
hi, Is there any code or way to transfer a report to pdf file? thanks Answered in another group where you asked this. ...

How do I delete an auto reply rule from Outlook
I set up an auto reply when I went on holidays. I don't know how I did it, but I just typed in the message reply and it worked. When I came to delete the rule, it was not there. I did not use a template, but somehow I managed to find something that let me do it. I have tried to replicate the rule, but I still can't. It is a POP account, but other than that I am not very computor savvy so if anyone replies, please make it simple! "grants51" <grants51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A01FE189-81BD-4857-A66B-4E7C34A4E74E@microsoft.com... &g...

How to copy a file from a disk to a specified sector of another di
Hi, I want to perform the following operations given below. 1. Read a file from a disk 2. Write the same file to another disk 3. In the second disk the written file should be on the same cylinder/track/sector as it is on the first disk. Hoping to get a reply soon. TIA. regards, Jahfer V P. you can't do this at a file level. Thanks Vipin "Jahfer V P" <Jahfer V P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:846B7A49-C2FC-405C-8B96-4CF48356717A@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I want to perform the following operations given below. > > 1. Read a file fro...

#Deleted
HiMy client has a field on his database Data Type Memo. On one recordthis field is displaying the text #Deleted. We have tried deletingthis text - it just comes back.I have tried going in to the table directly and deleting the contentsof the field. Then when I go to close the table I get a message"Record is deleted", which is odd, as I have not deleted a record.Then when I go OK, it says "You can't save this record at this time"etc. On reopening the table, the bloomin' message #Deleted is backagain.Any ideas?Stapes Hi This is not as easy as it sounds. I made a que...

Applying a template to an existing file
I'm curious to know if you can apply a template's format to an existing spreadsheet file? My situation is this: I have an Access database that is generating between 50 and 100 Excel spreadsheet files. I want to know if there is an automated way in which I can apply the formatting from template to those files or to I have to do that manually? Thanks, Frank Well, you could record a macro that formats one of them: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/record_a_macro_in_microsoft_excel.htm and then use the code that's generated along with a macro like this one: http://vbaexpres...