My links no longer work . . .

The first thing you will ask is . . did you move the file? The answer is no.
Here's my problem: I have developed fully functional MES and MRP system with
excel. I may have pushed the envelope of what excel can be expected to do as
the MRP workbook itself is about 15 MB and contains several hundred links. I
was very impressed that excel was able to handle this . . . until today (the
system worked quite well for about 6 mos). Now, when I open any of my main
files and update, I only get returns of info on apparently random links. The
majority of them don't work. I am not aware of any changes done that may
account for this -- and why do some links work and some don't (same type of
info from same file - even same column but randomly only a few work) Please,
I need to know of as many possible reasons this may have happened so I can
work on a solution. If I find it, I will post as I see others have had
similar problems.Thanks
0
Mike1154 (1216)

Somebody did a find and replace in your file?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The first thing you will ask is . . did you move the file? The answer is
> no.
> Here's my problem: I have developed fully functional MES and MRP system
> with
> excel. I may have pushed the envelope of what excel can be expected to do
> as
> the MRP workbook itself is about 15 MB and contains several hundred links.
> was very impressed that excel was able to handle this . . . until today
> (the
> system worked quite well for about 6 mos). Now, when I open any of my main
> files and update, I only get returns of info on apparently random links.
> The
> majority of them don't work. I am not aware of any changes done that may
> account for this -- and why do some links work and some don't (same type
> of
> info from same file - even same column but randomly only a few work)
> Please,
> I need to know of as many possible reasons this may have happened so I can
> work on a solution. If I find it, I will post as I see others have had
> similar problems.Thanks

0
ng1 (1444)
10/25/2005 11:16:52 PM
If you mean did somebody make changes that may make the links not work, the
answer is no. The links will work if I open all relevant files. If you mean
that using a find and replace in general will cause problems -- This is
possible.
If you read this Anne can you elaborate?

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> Somebody did a find and replace in your file?
> ************
> Anne Troy
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The first thing you will ask is . . did you move the file? The answer is
> > no.
> > Here's my problem: I have developed fully functional MES and MRP system
> > with
> > excel. I may have pushed the envelope of what excel can be expected to do
> > as
> > the MRP workbook itself is about 15 MB and contains several hundred links.
> > was very impressed that excel was able to handle this . . . until today
> > (the
> > system worked quite well for about 6 mos). Now, when I open any of my main
> > files and update, I only get returns of info on apparently random links.
> > The
> > majority of them don't work. I am not aware of any changes done that may
> > account for this -- and why do some links work and some don't (same type
> > of
> > info from same file - even same column but randomly only a few work)
> > Please,
> > I need to know of as many possible reasons this may have happened so I can
> > work on a solution. If I find it, I will post as I see others have had
> > similar problems.Thanks

0
Mike1154 (1216)
10/26/2005 2:54:08 PM
Well, the only thing I could think is that someone did a find and replace,
not realizing it could affect such a thing. I'd have to have specific
examples of what the old link was and the new link--the more examples the
better, of course.
************

> If you mean did somebody make changes that may make the links not work,
> the
> answer is no. The links will work if I open all relevant files. If you
> mean
> that using a find and replace in general will cause problems -- This is
> possible.
> If you read this Anne can you elaborate?
>
> "Anne Troy" wrote:
>
>> Somebody did a find and replace in your file?
>> ************
>> Anne Troy
>> www.OfficeArticles.com
>>
>> "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The first thing you will ask is . . did you move the file? The answer
>> > is
>> > no.
>> > Here's my problem: I have developed fully functional MES and MRP system
>> > with
>> > excel. I may have pushed the envelope of what excel can be expected to
>> > do
>> > as
>> > the MRP workbook itself is about 15 MB and contains several hundred
>> > links.
>> > was very impressed that excel was able to handle this . . . until today
>> > (the
>> > system worked quite well for about 6 mos). Now, when I open any of my
>> > main
>> > files and update, I only get returns of info on apparently random
>> > links.
>> > The
>> > majority of them don't work. I am not aware of any changes done that
>> > may
>> > account for this -- and why do some links work and some don't (same
>> > type
>> > of
>> > info from same file - even same column but randomly only a few work)
>> > Please,
>> > I need to know of as many possible reasons this may have happened so I
>> > can
>> > work on a solution. If I find it, I will post as I see others have had
>> > similar problems.Thanks

0
ng1 (1444)
10/26/2005 3:23:38 PM
Ok, I guess I should give you more info -- This will probably baffle you.
All the files are located on the server. There are about 4 users who
regularly access the files but I'm assuming I'm the only one who makes
changes to critical info (not all files are password protected). The links
are identical to the pre-problem links (first thing i checked).
 For example: I have a main inventory file with item codes and item
descriptions (and a whole bunch of other stuff but its not relevant). My MRP
file has item codes and vlookups to the item descriptions (descriptions
change so i only wanted one source for the descriptions). When I open the MRP
and click update it will retrieve some of the descriptions but not all (less
than 50%)--(actually that was yesterday, today I get an "unable to open file"
error when it tries to link and nothing gets updated).
 However, I can easily go to the location indicated in the link, open the
file that it needs to link to and everything works peachy (except my computer
lags from having all the large files open simultaneously). The odd thing is
also that this is affecting more than one file--someone would have had to do
the search and replace on multiple files (although possible) that are not
even related.
My final thought is: Can this be something other than Excel? (server
problem, network problem, windows problem etc?)

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> Well, the only thing I could think is that someone did a find and replace,
> not realizing it could affect such a thing. I'd have to have specific
> examples of what the old link was and the new link--the more examples the
> better, of course.
> ************
> Anne Troy
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If you mean did somebody make changes that may make the links not work,
> > the
> > answer is no. The links will work if I open all relevant files. If you
> > mean
> > that using a find and replace in general will cause problems -- This is
> > possible.
> > If you read this Anne can you elaborate?
> >
> > "Anne Troy" wrote:
> >
> >> Somebody did a find and replace in your file?
> >> ************
> >> Anne Troy
> >> www.OfficeArticles.com
> >>
> >> "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Mike1154 (1216)
10/26/2005 7:52:03 PM
Quite honestly, Mike, when I hear people opening "so many workbooks" and
having "so many links", I begin to think you'd be better off using Access.
It's just designed to handle relationships like this better than Excel, tho
I've never claimed to be any good at relationships, LOL. Anyway, to get you
beyond your current dilemma... it sounds to me like SOME of the links could
be updating and, due to lag or resources on your PC, others are not updating
or are just getting lost somehow. I can only tell you what I would do if I
were you and converting to a *real* DB isn't an option:
1. Clean up my hard drive:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/how_to_clean_up_your_hard_drive.htm so
you know you've got all the resources you possibly can (I realize this might
apply to other PCs too).
2. Clean up the workbooks/worksheets as good as you possibly can:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/clean_up_your_worksheet_in_microsoft_excel.htm
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/troubleshoot_your_workbook_in_microsoft_excel.htm
I only include the 2nd article in case any of these workbooks seem bloated.
3. Create a macro (you can record this one, I think) that opens all the
other files, or at least those necessary for efficiency when working with
your workbook, when you open your main file. Put that macro in the Workbook
open by right-clicking any sheet tab and hit View Code. Then on the left,
double-click This Workbook. Then from the dropdowns on the right, choose
Workbook. Then paste your recorded code over on the right. It should end up
looking something like this:
_______________________________
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Desktop\RestaurantRetrieverFastFood.xls"
    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Book1.xls"
    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Desktop\RestaurantRetriever.xls"
End Sub
__________________________________
Save and close your file, then reopen to test. (I'm sure the code could be
more efficient, but it's not lengthy code anyway).

Hopefully, others will also have suggestions.
************

> Ok, I guess I should give you more info -- This will probably baffle you.
> All the files are located on the server. There are about 4 users who
> regularly access the files but I'm assuming I'm the only one who makes
> changes to critical info (not all files are password protected). The links
> are identical to the pre-problem links (first thing i checked).
> For example: I have a main inventory file with item codes and item
> descriptions (and a whole bunch of other stuff but its not relevant). My
> MRP
> file has item codes and vlookups to the item descriptions (descriptions
> change so i only wanted one source for the descriptions). When I open the
> MRP
> and click update it will retrieve some of the descriptions but not all
> (less
> than 50%)--(actually that was yesterday, today I get an "unable to open
> file"
> error when it tries to link and nothing gets updated).
> However, I can easily go to the location indicated in the link, open the
> file that it needs to link to and everything works peachy (except my
> computer
> lags from having all the large files open simultaneously). The odd thing
> is
> also that this is affecting more than one file--someone would have had to
> do
> the search and replace on multiple files (although possible) that are not
> even related.
> My final thought is: Can this be something other than Excel? (server
> problem, network problem, windows problem etc?)
>

> "Anne Troy" wrote:
>
>> Well, the only thing I could think is that someone did a find and
>> replace,
>> not realizing it could affect such a thing. I'd have to have specific
>> examples of what the old link was and the new link--the more examples the
>> better, of course.
>> ************
>> Anne Troy
>> www.OfficeArticles.com
>>
>> "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If you mean did somebody make changes that may make the links not work,
>> > the
>> > answer is no. The links will work if I open all relevant files. If you
>> > mean
>> > that using a find and replace in general will cause problems -- This is
>> > possible.
>> > If you read this Anne can you elaborate?

0
ng1 (1444)
10/26/2005 8:24:56 PM
Thanks Anne,
I'll keep workinging on this, I think I may have it figured out. The
Workstation that does all the writing to the inventory file was recently
upgraded. The tech guy may have used a different route to the file when he
created the new shortcuts (through network places rather than just
T:\blah\blah) or something to do with that. Theoretically it should still
work but I have had something similar happen were one route allows access to
the file and the other does not. I agree that Access would have been alot
better but I needed a system fast and I don't know much about it ;).  I only
need this system to work for 6 more months then I get to buy an ERP system
(yay!)

Thanks for the macro suggestion--if I can't fix it that should get us
through for the next while.

I'll post a solution--I'm getting closer . . . i can feel it . . .  ; )

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> [...]
> > file that it needs to link to and everything works peachy (except my
> > computer
> > lags from having all the large files open simultaneously). The odd thing
> > is
> > also that this is affecting more than one file--someone would have had to
> > do
> > the search and replace on multiple files (although possible) that are not
> > even related.
> > My final thought is: Can this be something other than Excel? (server
> > problem, network problem, windows problem etc?)
> >

> > "Anne Troy" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, the only thing I could think is that someone did a find and
> >> replace,
> >> not realizing it could affect such a thing. I'd have to have specific
> >> examples of what the old link was and the new link--the more examples the

0
Mike1154 (1216)
10/26/2005 9:31:07 PM
SOLUTION FOUND!

As is often with these sort of things the problem was caused by a small
thing that was easy to fix -- trying to find it was the hard part.

Any one else with this type of problem check these things:

did a file get moved?
are the links pointing to the correct address?
Make sure the workbook being linked to is not protected.

mMy problem was the last one. someone accidently protected workbook after
making a change rather than protecting sheet.

I hope this helps someone ;)

"mike" wrote:

> [...]
> > > (less
> > > than 50%)--(actually that was yesterday, today I get an "unable to open
> > > file"
> > > error when it tries to link and nothing gets updated).
> > > However, I can easily go to the location indicated in the link, open the
> > > file that it needs to link to and everything works peachy (except my
> > > computer
> > > lags from having all the large files open simultaneously). The odd thing
> > > is
> > > also that this is affecting more than one file--someone would have had to
> > > do
> > > the search and replace on multiple files (although possible) that are not
> > > even related.
> > > My final thought is: Can this be something other than Excel? (server
> > > problem, network problem, windows problem etc?)

0
Mike1154 (1216)
10/27/2005 9:30:03 PM
LOL, Mike. :)
************

> [...]
>> > Workbook. Then paste your recorded code over on the right. It should
>> > end up
>> > looking something like this:
>> > _______________________________
>> > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
>> >     Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
>> >         "C:\Documents and
>> > Settings\Administrator\Desktop\RestaurantRetrieverFastFood.xls"
>> >     Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
>> >         "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Book1.xls"
>> >     Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
>> >         "C:\Documents and
>> > Settings\Administrator\Desktop\RestaurantRetriever.xls"
>> > End Sub
>> > __________________________________
>> > Save and close your file, then reopen to test. (I'm sure the code could
>> > be
>> > more efficient, but it's not lengthy code anyway).
>> >
>> > Hopefully, others will also have suggestions.

0
ng1 (1444)

For Some Reason My Schedule is Working through Weekends
Is there anyway to correct this in one operation?? -- TMI Contractors ------------------------------------------------------------------------ TMI Contractors's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/216904.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1338262.htm http://forums.techarena.in Check the calendar for the project, and if a different calendar has been assigned to specific tasks (Tools > Change Working Time, Project > Project Information, and the Task Calendar column respectively). Check the resources assigned to the tasks...

CDialog::DoModal() doesn't work the second time
Hi, I have created a MFC dialog based application (using the wizard). it works fine. then I decided to display the same window twice: // the code generated by the wizard CDialogDlg dlg; m_pMainWnd = &dlg; INT_PTR nResponse = dlg.DoModal(); // the code I added nResponse = dlg.DoModal(); // the generated code follows The second time when I invoke DoModal, the window appears for a very short (sub second) time then vanishes. the return code is -1 which means that the window couldnt be created. I tried with a new dialog class: // the code generated by the wizard CDialogDlg dlg; m_pMainWn...

Forwarding rule doesn't work, Outlook 2002 & Exchange 5.5
My company's email is hosted on an Exchange 5.5 server. In my Outlook 2002 (Office XP) client, I have set up a rule to forward all inbound messages to an external email address. This rule is only triggering, however, on internally generated messages such as Outlook meeting invitations or McAfee Groupsheild email alerts. No other messages (internal or from the internet) ar being forwarded. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

Linked Forms

remove space and chars. replace() does not work
I need to remove characters and spaces from a database field and replace() is not working for me. I dont know if I am using it properly. I am putting it in the queries window and it says I cannot use it without select or update. Can some1 help me on how exactly to use replace(). Thank you in advance. removeChars wrote: >I need to remove characters and spaces from a database field and >replace() is not working for me. I dont know if I am using it >properly. I am putting it in the queries window and it says I cannot >use it without select or update. Can some1 help me on how exact...

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Why Won't this code work with different Bitmap Sizes?
http://codeproject.com/printing/general.asp Whenever I try to change the bmpWidth, and bmpHeight very much, it only prints a blank page. For example bmpWidth = 640, and bmpHeight = 480, only prints a blank page. Why would this be? Thanks you should contact the author regarding this. -- With Regard's Alok Gupta visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "i think this will work" "Peter Olcott" <olcott@att.net> wrote in message news:FGLRd.8200$yr.3617@okepread05... > http://codeproject.com/printing/general.asp > > Whenever I try to change...

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

working with multiple e-mails
We are working as two companies in our office. So every user in office has 2 e-mail account with the same username but with different domains. What we need to do is let them work with both e-mails together in outlook. But what important is I should prevent mistakes like sending mails from wrong account and receipts shouldn't see anything with the other company.. Can anyone offer any architecture for it or any recource on the web..? (sorry for the bad english) ...

Setting up Outlook Express to work with an MSN e-mail account
Does anybody know how to set up Outlook Express to work with an MSN e-mail account? There are instructions for Hotmail but they don't work. Any help is appreciated... "J.O." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:041b01c3db01$0002a750$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anybody know how to set up Outlook Express to work > with an MSN e-mail account? There are instructions for > Hotmail but they don't work. Any help is appreciated... This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Expr...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Manual archive failed to work
I want to manually archive e-mails in my Personal Folders- Inbox and Sent Items subfolders. I have Auto Archive turned OFF for all Personal Folders Subfolders. My Inbox and Sent Items folders are very large and I want to copy everything in them prior to 01/01/2009 to the Same Folder Names in the Archive Folders and have them deleted from the Personal Folders. When I execute the manual archive nothing happens. I have been selecting Archive from the File Menu, then clicking the Archive this folder and all subfolders button, then selecting Inbox (under Personal Foldres) in the list,...

Links

Outlook Rules Not Always Working
Anyone with feedback on how to resolve this would be appreciated. I have set up rules in Outlook to divert EMails sent to our corporate Help Desk to a folder I have set up in Outlook called "Help Desk". Some exceptions have been set up within the rules - EMails sent to Help Desk from certain companies [my customers] are not diverted as I want them to come into my Inbox. This setup worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when it stopped working completely. Aside from un-installing & re-loading Outlook completely we have done just about everything. We deleted the rules & re-...

email links in Publisher pdf

Visual Studio 2008 has stopped working
I'm running Visual Studio 2008 Pro on Windows 7. It was all working fine. A week ago I installed XNA 3.0. I don't know if installing XNA had anything to do with it but I noticed now that everytime I open the VS 2008 IDE and wait a few seconds, a dialog pops up saying "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 has stopped working" and gives me Debug/Close Program buttons. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks Randy "Randy" <temp@temp.com> wrote in message news:uBUMlRzrKHA.4048@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I'm running Visual Studio 2008 Pro on Win...

Can you download 3 minutes of a CD with one track (longer than 5 minutes)?
Good Evening, Morning, Afternoon, Question. Imagine you have a CD with one track, say of 40 minutes. Suppose you want to download in your PC only 3 minutes of it , e.g. when you want to send those 3 minutes by E-mail to a friend. Is possible to download those 3 minutes into your PC ? Thanking you in advance, U.Kuran +++++++++++++++++++++ Rip it to an MP3 with Windows Media Playaer and then cut 3 minutes of it with something like Mp3cut http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html or WavePad http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explo...

Chart template and links

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

open at define work sheet
Iwant a shared workbook to always open at a define work sheet (Front page). I have entered the following in vb under workbook but it does not work. I entered the following Private Sub Workbook_Open(sheets "front page".select) End Sub please help Kitty Put the following code in the ThisWorkbook code module: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Me.Worksheets("Front Page").Select End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "kit" <kit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FD800CE...

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...