MS Query Column Headings and Calculated Fields

I'm using MS Query to pull data from an ODBC data source.
Everything works fine and I can extract data just great.

I'm wondering, however, calculating some fields with the
query.  I can't seem to add a column heading without
enclosing the heading in quotes.  That would normally be
fine, but everytime I go to edit the query and extra set of
quotes is added to the column heading.

Is there any way to get around this?

I also would like to know if there is a way to use
calculated fields in other calculations.  If so, is there
any documentation out there on how to do this?

Thanks,
--sam
lalato at yahoo dot com
0
anonymous (74721)

Parameter Query Problem 12-21-07
Hi, I'm creating a Paramater Query based on the date of a payment and receipt number for a record which includes 1st payment, second payment, and 3rd payment and 1st receipt number, 2nd receipt number, and 3rd receipt number fields. How do I retrieve only the field results which match the parameter criteria without pulling up other field values of that record which may not fit the search criteria? Thank you for any suggestions. I suggest that you change you table structure to something like this --- Payments --- PayID - autonumber Invoice - (could be SalesID - relates to sale &...

How do I show hidden column and row headings in excel?
How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? Excel displays only unhidden rows and columns, and their headings. But if you make the width or height small enough, it might still be possible to see the heading and not the data. However, this becomes more difficult as you move to column AB or row 101. "Mildred" <Mildred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7D83F4B-289A-49A6-9057-23365EAFB300@microsoft.com... > How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? ...

Combining two fields in a table
I have a 5-digit zip field and a 4-digit plus-4 field. I created in my table a 10 digit newzip field, so that combining these two make a 9-digit zip that looks like this: 60016-2345. I have no problem creating this in a query, but I want this to be in a table, and then I will delete the existing zip and the plus field, then re-name the newzip as zip. How do I do this? Can I convert it from the query into a table? I know this is basic, but I'm really new to this -- Barry On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:28:01 -0800, Barry <barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a...

Using SQL in MS Access 2000
I am trying to run some SQL script in MS Access 2000 for creating query. But its not take 'IF' and 'ELSE' command. Can someone guide me that how can I use IF and Else in MS Access 2000. Kind Regards, Muhammad Hasnain Raja You can't use If and Else in Access SQL. However, the IIf function is the equivalent. IIf(expr, truepart, falsepart) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) <mhraja@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1185887004.782732.108410@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to run some SQL script in MS ...

Queries about changing date format
I have a table that has a date in it and it also has the time. I need to get rid of the time and leave the date. What is the best way to do this? -- Thomas In a query? Just use format to return the date you want. DateOnly: Format([YourFieldName],"short date") -- Hope that helps! RBear3 .. "T Miller" <TMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B0A8BD4-4E3B-44B5-9A8D-3522F150E469@microsoft.com... >I have a table that has a date in it and it also has the time. I need to >get > rid of the time and leave the date. What is the best w...

Need help writing an update query
I'm not good at this so I need some help. Here's what I want to do. I have two tables with fields that need linked to add an update. To show what I want to do I have put the table and fields in brackets. Thanks. Here it is: If [Status Table:Status=Sold or No Bid] and [Status Table:Date=1/11/2008] then in [List Table:Publication Fee] enter [$30.00] On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:23:17 -0800, Rick <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm not good at this so I need some help. Here's what I want to do. I have >two tables with fields that need linked to add a...

Due date query 01-19-08
I need to calculate the due date in my database.. like i have three fields like - Issuedate, LIfe of Item and Nest due date... now when i m entering the issuedate and the life of the product, the next due date should be automatically counted....... pls guide me... (ex-Issuedate - 01/01/2008, LIfe of Item - 12 months, Nest due date - ?) (LIfe of item will be counted in months...) On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:32:00 -0800, Arunoday <Arunoday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to calculate the due date in my database.. like i have three fields >like - Issuedate, LIfe of Item and ...

Text to column, fixed width
I have a chart based on imported data from a database. The problem is after anytime I refresh data, the chart is colasped, all data become straight line at 0. I have to click data/text to column/fixed width/finish to get my chart back. My question: How can I format the worksheet so that I don't have to do this after refresh data? Thanks Daniel You could record a macro to do the import followed by the parsing (text-to-columns) best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Linking to Excel from MS Project
I was wondering if there is a way so that I can link the Gant Chart (Picture) made in Project to a sheet in Excel... I know I can copy the image over and paste it into the sheet, but I wanted something that would be able to dynamically change on an update and I dont have to copy and paste all the time. Any help is appreciated. ...

Excell: Column Changes
The Excell program changed the Column labels from alpha characters to numbers. This makes it somewhat difficult to use formulas. Any ideas on how to changes back the numbers to alphabet characters ??? Tools|options|General Tab|Uncheck R1C1 reference style Doug wrote: > > The Excell program changed the Column labels from alpha characters to numbers. This makes it somewhat difficult to use formulas. Any ideas on how to changes back the numbers to alphabet characters ??? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Tools -- Options. On the View tab, under Settings, uncheck R1C1 style. Rgds, And...

Getting querie to list everyone who has a specific key
I have a database set up listing first and lastname and then keys that people have check out. Each key is in a different column but listed in the order they were checked out . This means Joe may have checked out key 58 in column 1 and Sally may have checked out key 58 in row 8. If I want a list of everyone who has key 58 how do I run the querie? I can get it to run with just the column of names and picking only one key column to check but I would like to be able to search all key columns. When I list all columns it seems to think I only want the info for people have checked out key 58 i...

line-column charts
I charted 5 lines of data (8 data points in each line) in a combination chart (line-column) with one axis. It defaulted to 3 lines of data displayed as columns and 2 as lines. Is there a way to easily identify which data sources I want in column format and which appear as lines? I tried to select one of the lines and change the chart type to "column", but the column displayed on top of the other three. I was able to use this same approach to solve my problem by creating a column chart and change the one data set to a line chart, but I was hoping for a way to format data...

Quicken Premier or MS Money for Small Business Accounting?
I use Quicken 2005 Premier Home & Business for my small business accounting. I also use MS Money 2002 Standard Edition for my personal finance software. I like the "feel" of Money, but there are some features of Quicken I like better (for example, I can reconcile accounts on Quicken using an online balance; in Money, I have to reconcile using a monthly paper statement from my bank). I'm cgoing to download the trial version of MS Money for Small Business and check it out, but I also wanted to see if anyone out there had strong feelings one way or the other. Is there an...

Need count of updates after UPDATE query
Is there any way to get the count of updates after running this? strSQL = "UPDATE ..." currentproject.connection.execute strSQL On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:04:00 -0800, mscertified wrote: > Is there any way to get the count of updates after running this? > > strSQL = "UPDATE ..." > currentproject.connection.execute strSQL Look up the RecordAffected property in VBA help. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail ...

Convert column # to the letter of the alphabet
In the following code the uCol value is a number, I need the actual column letter. Is there an easy way to convert the # to the correct column letter. I could us an array or a function with a select case but I have at least 180 columns that have to be done. The code is used to determine the location of a particular Agent's sales data for poping up a chart using that data. uAdd = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address uCol = Range(uAdd).Column Thanks! Try this... uAdd = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address(1, 0) uCol = Split(uAdd, "$")(0) -- Rick (MVP - E...

Editable fields in datagrid
Hi, I have to make editable all the fields in a datagrid, I'd like to know what's the best way to do it. In advance, thanks a lot for any help. Regards, Marcelo. When you add the DataGrid to your page, just check off that you want the ability to edit in the SmartTask pane. You will get this behavior by default now. -Scott <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eIa9kuPfKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have to make editable all the fields in a datagrid, I'd like to know > what's the best way to do it. > >...

change a table to 3 columns only (Rows instead of Table)
Hi, I am looking forward to your inputs, I have a table, here is a sample: Dept1 Dept2 Dept3 Dept4 Div1 1 2 3 4 Div2 5 6 7 8 Div3 9 10 11 12 How can I change the above table to 3 columns only (Rows instead of Table): Div1 Dept1 1 Div1 Dept2 2 Div1 Dept3 3 Div1 Dept4 4 Div2 Dept1 5 Div2 Dept2 6 Div2 Dept3 7 Div2 Dept4 8 Div3 Dept1 9 Div3 Dept2 10 Div3 Dept3 11 Div3 Dept4 12 The table I have is huge, doing the above manually will be very time consuming. Thanks Mo Hi see your other posts -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mo wrote: > Hi, > > I am lookin...

Column Sizing Issue In Reports
For some unknown reason all my reports are playing up, when i open any report now, the report is to scale either to fit or 100% But the actually Data is zoomed to like 500%, on some reports its showing it on a A4 Portrait when the report is set to A4 Land Scape. I've tried zooming in out the report and the actually report gets smaller or bigger, not the detail, i believe its something to do with the Column sizing options in the page setup. or access is deciding to reset the margins, and regardless of me saving the changes, there not staying. at moment i have to open the report, go to ...

Validatine field for "@" and "." in email address
I know it is not possible to input mask code for email but I want to at least verify there is an "@" and "." in the field like we do on web forms using javascript. Can someone help me with coding as I've never done it in Access. Ideally, it would be nice to verify there is text before "@", between "@" and "." and possibly a valid domain extension after the "." Thanks Try this as validation rule -- Like "*" & "@" & "*" & "." & "???*" The three question...

Comparison of MS Money 2000 and MS Money 2003
I just upgraded and recently noticed with my transactions in comparison to MS Money 2000 which is much better and worked with all my SB Office Business tools 2000. MS Money 2003 SB Edition destroyed all links to MS Business Tools and also does not pick up all my financial transactions data so I would have to keep a paper copy anyway or go online to find the transaction to fill in the data. MS Money 2003 does not work properly with VersaCheck QuickPass 2004. TaxCut 2004 works great with MS Money 2003. You are pushing to upgrade MS Money 2005 and I read some of the support issues. In...

Sorting 4 columns as one
I know how to sort a row of 2,000 random numbers. This might take 40 pages if I only used one column per page. ???? How can I use and sort the full page (multiple columns) where the date in column A line 50 would continue to column C1? And c50 would continue on in E1 and so on? Thanks in advance to the Excel expert. Hi John, Excel has very limited facilities for saving paper (fit to page, font, margins). You will have to maintain your sheet as the 3 columns and snake that into another sheet for display and / or printing. See SNAKECOLS, How to snake columns to use fewer pages ...

Description Field length Change
This is more of a technical question, but will it damage the database in any way to adjust the Decription field to be larger than 30 chars? I've dont this on a temporary backup database and there have been no ill effects, however i though i would post to be safe. It won't damage the database, but when you try to add an item with more than 30 char description to a transaction, POS will crash. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all respo...

Finding the number of records in a query
Hi there! I want to restrict my users from running a query if there are records in a second query. The second query has 2 parameters based on forms, [Forms]![frmInvBusNums]![InventoryNum] and [Forms]![frmInvBusNums]![BusUnit] The code I'm trying to run, which is totally wrong looks something like this: Dim db As DAO.Database ' Dim rst As DAO.Recordset ' ' Set db = CurrentDb ' ' ' set rst=db.QueryDefs "Discrepancy_Report" ' If rst.RecordCount > 0 Then ' MsgBox "There are conflicts" ' Exit Sub ' ...

"From" field
Hello all, Good day. I'm using Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.3821) and trying to include "From" field on a message/email, but failed. The "From" field does not exist on View menu as "Bcc" field did. However, I could not find the "From" from View- >Toolbars->Customize. I'm wondering if I should apply any patches for this. Can someone shed some lights here ? Thank you very much. There are two toolbars and menus in Outlook--an explorer toolbar that appears when you're 'exploring' the contents of a folder and an 'inspecto...

"Calculate" message in Status Bar
Can anyone help me? I consider myself a heavy user of Excel and it has been so long since I have encountered "basic" problems, however, I am trying to troubleshoot a message that is constant on one of my huge worksheets. I have a "calculate" message appearing on my status bar and the worksheet is so big I was wondering if there was any way I could easily troubleshoot where the message is coming from. Which part of the worksheet, which cell? There is no circular reference error message appearing on the status bar, however, the spreadsheet is set to "automatic"...