MS Office 97 upgrade to new question

Hello all,
 A couple months, purchased Compaq, Presario 2500 laptop
with MS XP.  Had desktop with Win98, Word & Excel 97,
etc..
 I really do not want to install the old products on the
new laptop but will if it's required to be eligible for a
current upgrade.
 Does anyone know if I would be eligible for the most
recent upgrade to Word, Excel, Access, etc. based on my
older versions?  Or, am I going to have to pay mega bucks
for the full new versions?
 If I am eligible for the upgrade, will I have to install
the old versions in order for the upgrade installation to
authenticate itself to a valid product?
 Thanks!
Dena
P.S.  Unfortunately, I thought the Presario came with,
not only MS XP, but the newer versions of Word, Excel,
Access, PowerPoint.  But, alas, I got stuck with MS
Works, and some oddball MS spreadsheet.  Both sort of
crummy, with all due respect.   :>

http://www.microsoft.com/office/forstudents/default.asp

--
Regards
                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

  Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> If you were given the full version of works and have a CD, then that *may* be eligible for an
> upgrade (Just not sure abour bundled software).  According to the link below though, Office 97
is
> still a qualifying upgrade (US anyway).
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/pricing/upgrade.asp
>
> The best thing to do would be to call MS and ask them - They are ususally very helpful, and if
you
> explain what you have then they will tell you the best route to go.
>
> Just a thought, but if you have kids at school, then you may want to consider the Educational
> license, which is considerably cheaper and can now be installed on up to 3 PCs.
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>                    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

>   Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference
>

> "Dena" <GeorgiaSong@aol.com> wrote in message news:27d301c3744b$a2c0a810$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> > Hello all,
> >  A couple months, purchased Compaq, Presario 2500 laptop
> > with MS XP.  Had desktop with Win98, Word & Excel 97,
> > etc..
> >  I really do not want to install the old products on the
> > new laptop but will if it's required to be eligible for a
> > current upgrade.
> >  Does anyone know if I would be eligible for the most
> > recent upgrade to Word, Excel, Access, etc. based on my
> > older versions?  Or, am I going to have to pay mega bucks
> > for the full new versions?
> >  If I am eligible for the upgrade, will I have to install
> > the old versions in order for the upgrade installation to
> > authenticate itself to a valid product?
> >  Thanks!
> > Dena
> > P.S.  Unfortunately, I thought the Presario came with,
> > not only MS XP, but the newer versions of Word, Excel,
> > Access, PowerPoint.  But, alas, I got stuck with MS
> > Works, and some oddball MS spreadsheet.  Both sort of
> > crummy, with all due respect.   :>

0
ken.wright (2489)

Office apps close
The Office 2008 apps keep closing down by themselves! The app closes and then a message comes up asking if I want to Send my problem's information and if I want to Recover my work. What can I do to stop this? Is this because of my Office 2008 intallation or is it my Mac? Normally, it is caused by broken documents. If someone has been hacking and chopping in the documents, they can break the internal code so the application can't read them. Which format are you using? How were the documents created? Which OS are you using? Which processor? On 11/02/08 4:54 PM, in article ee8cf3c....

copy and paste question
In the cell I have =a1+a2+ and so on I have about 50 cells added. I there a way that I can add the $ then manual input in all 50 cells -- hb247 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- hb2474's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=418 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27874 You can select the whole formula in the formula bar and hit the F4 button. That'll toggle the $ signs. Remember if you have "streaks" of cells, you can do this: =sum(a1:a12,a15,a22:a44) hb2474 wrot...

MS Office 97 to MS Office 2007

MS Outlook 2007

Moving Files To New Hard Drive
I just upgraded the hard drive in my girlfriends computer. It had 80GB and I added an additional 250GB drive. The OS is XP Home 2002. How do I go about moving _*everything*_ to the larger hard drive? "ampig" wrote: > > I just upgraded the hard drive in my girlfriends computer. It had 80GB > and I added an additional 250GB drive. The OS is XP Home 2002. How do I > go about moving _*everything*_ to the larger hard drive? > > Use the cloning software that came with the new disk to clone the old disk to the new. Everything is copied to the n...

Entourage is losing my emails sent to brand-new webmail account
Mac OS X ver 10.5.8, 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, Microsoft Entourage I just created a couple of email accounts for a new domain I needed for my business. It's very weird, as I can send emails from the webmail site; I can send and reply from and to my gmail account; but when I try to send an email from Entourage using my day-to-day email account to this new email account, it simply disappears. Never arrives, no error message, nothing. I tried sending an email to the other account I just created and behaves exactly the same way. My friend is experiencing exactly the same pr...

Office assistant error
Hi everyone, I only joined today so easy on me!!!!!! We have Outlook 2003 and Office 2000 SP3 intalled and receive the following error when Outlook is opened and then try to open any other applications, i'e word, excell "The office assistant could not be started. Please repair the assistant by running office 2000 setup and selecting repair office 2000". Running repair does not make the error message stop. The office assistant works in all applications the error message just keeps popping up. If I open word or excell on their own it's not a proble as soon as outlook 2003 is...

Windows Live Mail New Messages
When opening WLM (using Win-7) I often get the message that I have a number of new messages but the actual number of messages seen is lower. Are messages being lost or is the new message counter wrong? "Mick in Seaford" <MickinSeaford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D29DF4EB-F098-4DBD-931D-DF7017570708@microsoft.com... > When opening WLM (using Win-7) I often get the message that I have a > number > of new messages but the actual number of messages seen is lower. > Are messages being lost or is the new message counter wrong? > ...

Brand New to OL 2007
Is there a way to subscribe to some of the conversations here using OL 2007? I have recently found these discussion pages and am reeling from all of the info, but do not want to go to the MS web site every time to look for something. I am new to the whole RSS, newsgroup thing, but learning every minute. You can subscribe, but it doesn't always notify you. Better is to use an NNTP client to read the groups. You can mark threads to watch or drag them to a mail folder (in OE) to review later. If a thread has an answer and you want to save it, create a folder in Outlook then copy a...

MS Exange connection

Client/server service pack upgrades
We are looking to install a number of CRM upgrades and hotfixes this weekend. For several of them (for example, the Sales for Outlook Feature Pack), there is a server installation, and a client installation. We have many remote users, and it could be two-three weeks before we get the client installation out to these users. Will we have any issues if we go ahead and install the Server installations without the Client installations? Thank you, Paul McBride I dont think so. the server patches are for windows xp sp2 etc. the outlook features are client only -- John O'Donnell Microsoft ...

Address Word Letter X for Office 2004?
I've been unable to get the Address Word Letter X script to work on my new version of Office 2004. The Prefs script won't recognize my stationery file (it's grayed out). Did the revisions for scripting in Office 2004 break the script? Is there a workaround? Thanks, Steven Hi Steven, What script is this? Did you check macscripter.net to see if a new version is out? If not, your best bet is probably to go back to the ReadMe on the script and see if you can email the script writer and ask them about it. Or you could try opening up the script looking for anything obviously ...

General design question
hi! i'd like to design a class - let's call it CDrawObject - that is able to contain some data and draw itself. furthermore i'd like to have a class CDrawMultiObject that is derived from CDrawObject and can contain objects of type CDrawObject. i imagine to have the following situation: CDrawMultiObject -> base object (i.e. an object manager ) CDrawObject -> first element CDrawObject -> secound element CDrawMultiObject -> third element CDrawObject -> first element CDrawObject...

How do I do word count in MS Publisher?

Please help with Excel VB question
Hi, I'm trying to set a Name range in Excel through VB, by setting the name property when a specific cell in a worksheet is changed. The code is as follows: fred1 = CStr("=PL!$A$4:$E$" Worksheets("Control").Range("maxnumpass").Value) ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="numpasslist", RefersTo:=fred1 My problem is that the change is only active for the worksheet where I change the cell. Is it possible to ensure that this change takes effect across all worksheets in the workbook? Any and all help appreciated either in a reply to this post or on jgal...

MS Money 2005 Basics

Multithreading Question
Hi, I am writing a multithreaded server application. I have written a class to handle thread(CThread , say) activities like creating, suspending, resuming threads etc. I have derived a class from CThread (CMainThread, say) and a class (CClientThread, say) to handle client connection which is also derived from CThread. In CMainThread class i am creating a thread and waiting for incomming connections. As soon as a connection came i am creating an object for CClientThread and call the function to create a thread and so on. code flow: 1. Start the main listening thread. 2. wait for a con...

MS CRM Certification question

Can't open Pub 97 files
Last winter, I produced 3 calendars with many scanned photos (460 MB each file) on Publisher 97. When I try to open those files now, I get this window message from Publisher: "Publisher cannot open this file. This is not a Publisher file." But they ARE Publisher files. I did not save ALL of those photos elsewhere and I need access to the calendar files in order to use the photos in other projects. PLEASE HELP!!! Have you tried reinstalling Publisher? Does the extension on the files say .pub? I will try to open the files for you if you want to send them my way. Remove ...

reference question #2
A few days ago, some kind person introduced me to the INDIRECT function as a way of keeping a formula pointed at a fixed cell even after I've inserted a column or two on the worksheet. (Thank you!) Turns out, though, that while I need that fixed reference to a given column, I actually want a relative reference to the rows on the worksheet. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to set my formula up so the reference to a given column is absolute but the row floats? Thanks! =INDIRECT("B"&ROW(1:1)) for B1 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Exc...

MS Access

Easy signature question...
I use Outlook XP Pro and compose my e-mails in HTML. I have a multi-line signature and notice that whenever someone replies to my e-mails that the signature now has spaces between the lines (double spaced). I am wondering if recipients of my e-mail are receiving this goofy looking signature or just me when replied to. Does anybody know why it is doing this? Thanks in advance, Ian ...