More than 256 columns? #2

How do I get 1050 columns into Excel? Alternatively, which other tool can I
use for this that is not too expensive?
0
65538 (2)

You don't.  Excel is limited to 256 colums.  Two alternatives:

1) Swing your table around, make the colum headings the row headings.... not
a good suggestion at all though.
2) Get your data into Access... I guess you already have it.  Then run your
data analysis in Excel straight from the Access database.... much better.

"65538" <65538@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get 1050 columns into Excel? Alternatively, which other tool can
> use for this that is not too expensive?

0
nuraq (11)
6/8/2005 9:54:13 AM
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 01:53:02 -0700, "65538"
<65538@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I get 1050 columns into Excel? Alternatively, which other tool can I
>use for this that is not too expensive?

Excel is limited to 256 columns. If you absolutely must have more
columns, Quattro Pro can go up to 18,278 columns by 1,000,000 rows.
But as has been noted before, you should probably take a look at your
data and see whether it can be rearranged.

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)
6/8/2005 10:10:13 AM
Can you rearrange it such that you can use several spread sheets?
While you are limited to 256 in one spreadsheet four would give you the 1050

"65538" wrote:

> How do I get 1050 columns into Excel? Alternatively, which other tool can I
> use for this that is not too expensive?
0
BJ (832)

how can I freeze column width (cell size)???
I have a spreadsheet with formulas. I show the formulas and resize (autofit) the columns. I want to freeze the column widths on all the columns then... .... uncheck show formulas. Problem: when I uncheck show formulas the columns resize (smaller) automatically. Many of the columns re-size to small for the data (pound signs display). Can someone tell me what I need to do to keep the columns from resizing after unchecking show formulas? Thanks, Tracey How about a little macro? Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myColWidths(1 To 256) As Double Dim iCtr As Long With ActiveS...

Exchange Services do not start after server reboot #2
Hi there, I am running Microsoft Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Win2K server SP4. Recently i started facing problem of exchange services not starting automatically after a reboot. Even if i try starting manually (Exchange Directory Service) it wont unless i repair the dir.edb file. then after the repair i try to start the Information Store it comes up with errors (Event ids 1120, 5000). I tried repairing the Priv.edb & Pub.edb using esutil and all services started. I came accross this problem 3 times now and 3 time i did the same thing. I am not going to reboot my server now. Does anyone have an...

[ANN] Sync Entourage-iCal (new) and Sync Entourage-Address Book 2.5 Update for 2004
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3167889022_24080772 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit New scripts and updates for Entourage 2004: NEW: Sync Entourage-iCal 1.0 [for Entourage 2004 only] Sync Entourage-Address Book [PANTHER] 2.5 [free update - with new features for Entourage 2004] Export-Import Entourage X 1.3 [free update - with versions of the Excel scripts for Excel 2004] All available at MacScripter.net <http:...

Default email account #2
using windows xp pro & outlook 2003 multiple pop/smtp accounts and ms exchange account the default account keeps setting itself back to exchange when i want a pop3 account to be default, if I set pop as default account the outlook keeps this as default until computer is rebooted and then it switches back to exchange. How do i stop it changing back to exchange? ...

Column heading differences
The menu column headings on my spreadsheets today are numbers instead of letters! I want the letters back! I like the differentiation between rows (numbers) and columns (letters). Help?? I received and opened a virus-free spreadsheet from a co-worker. Her spreadsheet had numbers for the columns -- could that have made my default switch? How do I switch it back? <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, And *UNCHECK* "R1C1 Reference Style". -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benef...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86
hello, this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer. apparently it failed. now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not work. i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below saying it was not installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86-- i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful i have windows xp pro sp3 installed. i have no clue what to do. any help would be greatly appreciated...

IT CertificationzzzZ.....100% GUARANTEED PASS.......!!!@!!! #2
IT CertificationzzzZ.....100% GUARANTEED PASS.......!!!@!!! Hi guys, If you are serious about your professional career and pass IT Certification exam in first attempt then Visit http://www.FreeExamKing.com and get latest Questions And Answers Dumps for Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco, CompTIA and many more, i have used and found it very helpful. ...

HQ Error #2
After installing sp2 my clients will not not connect to hq and give an error that says "The current HQ Database version is 2.00. This version of Headquarters Client can only work with database version 2.01. Cannot Continue" Both are running sp2, any Ideas? It looks like you did not do the "Database", "Upgrade" from within Administrator on the HQ system after running SP2 -- Disclaimer: Always test any queries that modify data on a test database prior to running on your live data to ensure the desired results. Always back-up prior to running any SQL delete qu...

Reversed column labels
For some reason, when I open any new spreadsheets, the column labels are reversed, with column A on the right side of the screen. This is making working with excel difficult. Is there some option I enabled that can be disabled so that Excel gets back to normal? Thanks Andrew Remsen Hi Drew tools / options / international - check the settings under default direction note, you won't see the affect of this until you close & reopen your workbook. Regards julieD "Drew Remsen" <remsen59@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MeSpd.73932$8G4.40962@tornado.tampabay.rr.com....

sort 2 column in the same time "" as dictionary ""
Hello all I need to make sort of pages to be like a dictionary is that possible I put a test file on the next link http://rapidshare.com/files/382288320/index_test.xls.html I need to sort the 2 yellow column ,to be alphapetic page by page appreciate for help me Thanks Mahmoud ...

how to highlight current row & column automatically by a color
I'm using Excel 2003, can u plz help me out that how to highlight current row & column with a color automatically to identify my position. Though excel help us by highlighting column & row number, but i want whole column & row to be highlighten to better finding my cell position and contents. So When I change my cell position, the highlighted row & column move appropriately. Take a look at http://cpearson.com/excel/rowliner.htm In article <4076508D-B500-4491-8BE9-C70A825EEBC2@microsoft.com>, asif4u <asif4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I&#...

restore problem #2
hi, I was trying to get back into money and it asked me to reinstall the money program from the original CD again, so i did. now i'm trying to restore the backed up infomation from "my documents" folder but when i enter my password it does not accept it as a valid password anymore. please help me. i hope i did not lose all my enteries. i'm running money 2002. thank you sam In microsoft.public.money, Sam wrote: >I was trying to get back into money and it asked me to >reinstall the money program from the original CD again, >so i did. now i'm trying to re...

Sort numeric data in more than 3 columns in excel
Hi All, I have to sort 12 columns of numeric data in descending order on a excel worksheet. I currently sort 3 at a time and then move forward. For example, I have sales data for months Jan to Dec. I want each of these columns to show zeros at the bottom when the macro is run. The rows would increase in future but the columns would be fixed. The worksheet would also remains unchanged each month. None of these columns are of least significance. Is there a way I could change a recorded macro to achieve this?? I know very little of VB. This would be of great help! Thanks! All of the columns ...

Group rows / columns: +/- symbol at top or to the left?
Hi there If you group columns or rows, you will see a little symbol "+" or "-" to indicate the grouped section. I am wondering if there is a way to tell excel to display the symbol on the top of the grouped section (instead at the bottom in case of grouped rows) or to the left (instead to the right in case of grouped columns). Help greately appreciated! samkut Data/Group and Outline/Settings... In article <1128961350.756875.320910@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, samkut@web.de wrote: > If you group columns or rows, you will see a little symbol "+" ...

Move Column Data into a row
Hello, I have text in a column that I want to move into a row instead, is this possible without typing it all over again? Thanks -- avidcat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ avidcat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29659 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493706 Copy the data and then do a Paste Special using Transpose. Rgds, ScottO "avidcat" <avidcat.202gsm_1134625201.0378@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:avidcat.202gsm_1134625201.0378@excel...

separate columns
Hi, I am having a little problem and I was wondering if any of you coul help me with it. I have two columns, A (Definitions) and B is empty. Column A has several words in a single cell, I was wondering if ther is a way to put only the first word from cell A1, for example, in cel B1. Thanks. Regards, Marco -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Marcos! Try: =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "marksuza >" <<marksuza.16lqli@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:ma...

2 credit cards- 1 transaction
does anyone know how to split a transaction tender onto 2 different credit cards? for example, if the total is $100 and a customer wants to put $70 on his Platinum Visa and $30 on his Citibank Visa (same tender type). go to Database | Tender Types in the Manager and check the box to allow multiple entries. "Kamal Hood" <kamal@compassionatecaregivers.net> wrote in message news:ukCYrr28EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > does anyone know how to split a transaction tender onto 2 different credit > cards? for example, if the total is $100 and a customer wants to put $70 o...

Outlook #256
Outlook is not remembering my e-mail password. Have to enter them everytime I start the program. ...

Date formatting Help #2
This did not seem to work...it returned errors..I'm missing a step Application.Run Range("F54:H54").Select Selection.Sum Cell.Value +7 End Sub Fred Smith Wrote: > To get next Sunday's date, just add 7 to this Sunday. So somethin > like: > cell.value + 7 > > -- > Regards, > Fred > Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail > > > "Db1712" <Db1712.1f88gn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message > news:Db1712.1f88gn@excelforum-nospam.com... > > > > Macro - Help > > How can you select a cell with a Sunday'...

Sorting several columns
Hi, I'm trying to sort a sheet, sorting first by column A, then B, then C It works fine half of the sheet, but then column C isn't sorted correctly. Data format is the same, so that's not the problem. In column C sorting I've made my own list to sort by (st, 1, 2, 3, 4), and it works fine the first 20 rows. Then it only sorts correctly in column A and B example A B C AA 1A st AA 1A 1 AA 2A AB 1A 1 AB 1A 5 AB 1A AB 1A st AB isn't sorted correctly according to the list I've made in the ...

11.4.0 update from 2/12/2008
I downloaded and installed the latest update (11.4.0) for Office 2004 and afterward noticed that my hard drive was very noisy. I then got a message that my hard drive was full. I shut my MacBook down and restarted it. I then went to Finder and saw that I had only 828.9MB of space left. This is a brand new MacBook with a 160GB drive on it. Before downloading and installing this update, I had over 102GB of free space. What has Microsoft Office done with all of my disk space? I'm new to Macs so how can I find the files that would be taking up all of this space? I'd appreciate any input on...

Column widths
I have developed a great sheet with 4 separate SQL queries to give users a report card. All works wonderfully except that each time the sheet auto-refreshes, my column widths compress down which makes the sheet hard to read. Is there a way to lock down the colum width so it doesn't change? Thanks Art You could try un-checking 'adjust column widths' in 'Data range properties' by right-clicking on the external data table. You could also, if this fails, put some code in the Worksheet_Change() event like so Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Columns....

Deleting columns
Has anyone had this problem: I have a spreadsheet with multiple tabs. On the first tab I can selec a group of cells within a column, lets say B12 -- B45 and right click o them, get the option 'Delete...' and it asks if I want to shift left up, entire row, or entire column. Now, on the second tab I select th same group of cells except now when I right click it will only let m delete rows. Any ideas as to what I am missing here -- surg4u197 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- surg4u1975's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action...

chart #2
when i do a chart i can see it until i click on to a cell then the chart goes gray, if i click back on to the chart i can then see the chart Hi Steve, Sounds like you have the Show Placeholders option enabled. Use the menus Tools > Options On the View tab under Objects click Show all steve hills wrote: > when i do a chart i can see it until i click on to a cell > then the chart goes gray, if i click back on to the chart > i can then see the chart -- Cheers Andy http://www.andypope.info ...

Problem with referencing a hidden column
The code below works great, that is until I hide column Q. I do not want the data in column Q to me visible on the worksheet. Is there any way around this problem? TextBox100.Value = Range("Q4").Text TextBox200.Value = Range("Q49").Text TextBox300.Value = Range("Q94").Text TextBox400.Value = Range("Q139").Text TextBox500.Value = Range("Q184").Text TextBox600.Value = Range("Q229").Text TextBox100.Value = Range("Q4") -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "ordnance1" <ordnance1@comcast...