Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge

I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and
the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
this problem?

--
Briggs

Hi

Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use
=TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00")

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
> that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $
> and
> the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
> this problem?
>
> --
> Briggs

> signature database 4751 (20100107) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4751 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Roger
1/7/2010 6:26:36 PM
You can format the fields at the Word end of the operation.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA011164951033.aspx

But may be easier to use the TEXT function and helpers cells as Biff points
out.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:00:01 -0800, Briggs <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
>that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and
>the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
>this problem?

0
Gord
1/7/2010 10:22:45 PM
Error in post.

Roger........not Biff

Gord

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:22:45 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>You can format the fields at the Word end of the operation.
>
>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA011164951033.aspx
>
>But may be easier to use the TEXT function and helpers cells as Biff points
>out.
>

>Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
>On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:00:01 -0800, Briggs <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
>>that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and
>>the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
>>this problem?

0
Gord
1/7/2010 10:23:42 PM
No probs, Gord.
I hope that all is well with you, and best wishes for 2010

--
Regards
Roger Govier

> Error in post.
>
> Roger........not Biff
>

> Gord
>
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:22:45 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
> wrote:
>
>>You can format the fields at the Word end of the operation.
>>
>>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA011164951033.aspx
>>
>>But may be easier to use the TEXT function and helpers cells as Biff
>>points
>>out.
>>

>>Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>>
>>On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:00:01 -0800, Briggs
>><Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
>>>that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $
>>>and
>>>the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to
>>>solve
>>>this problem?

> signature database 4752 (20100107) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4752 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Roger
1/7/2010 11:32:04 PM
Thanks for the greetings.

Good year so far although the golf is a little sparse.

Too many frost delays.

Gord

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:32:04 -0000, "Roger Govier"
<roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk> wrote:

>No probs, Gord.
>I hope that all is well with you, and best wishes for 2010

0
Gord
1/7/2010 11:54:52 PM
Hi Briggs,

To control number & currency formatting in Word, add a numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To do this:
.. select the field;
.. press Shift-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyData};
.. edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD MyData \# $,0.00} (or whatever other numeric format you prefer - see below);
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

Note: The '\# $,0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
.. \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
.. \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
.. \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
.. \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
.. \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);'-'" for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values

The precision of the displayed value is controlled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.

If you use a final ';' in the formatting switch with nothing following, (eg \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);") zero values will be suppressed.
Note that this suppresses 0s resulting from empty fields and from fields containing 0s.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com...
>I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field
> that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and
> the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve
> this problem?
>
> --
> Briggs

0
macropod

Error on contact folder, cannot open win mail anymore
User accidentally did something moving a contact folder from "my documents" or something(he doesn't know exactly) to a pendrive which failed thus deleting it, after that, windows mail does not open anymore, it says "cannot open contacts folder" then returns error 0x800fffff and after clicking OK to that it returns MSOE.dll error. how can i fix this?, there's no backup, no system restore, nothing. i've even installed windows live mail, after more than an hour upgrading, it resturns the same contacts error and crashes. OS is Vista SP2 regards...

http405 error sending mail from crm web
CRM 1.0 installation has been in production for 2 months, all features functional, email can be sent IN to CRM queues even, but no mail can be sent FROM CRM. It has never worked. Below is the error I receive when attempting to send mail from CRM web. CRM app and its SQL are on one server, mail server on another. Any ideas? Dan dan@vr-inc.com Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft CRM Event Category: None Event ID: 2 Date: 2/9/2004 Time: 4:47:24 PM User: N/A Computer: SIDESHOW Description: MSCRM Platform Error Report: Error Message: An unexpected error occurred. Error Det...

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Linking Cells: Excel into Word Document
Greetings, After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells in a worksheet be linked to a Word document. Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an extensive document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects. Would like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which would be many inserts/links) into t...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Free! Learn MS Excel
The following is a video that demonstrate to you: How to plot a chart with Microsoft Excel. http://raymondlamsk.blogspot.com/2008/05/free-learn-microsoft-excel-how-to-plot.html I hope it helps you in one way or another. ...

mail retrieval
When I connect to Outlook, I have just recently begun to get this message: OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module MSVBVM60.DLL at 0167:660d5934. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=660d5934 EFLGS=00010287 EBX=016401e5 SS=016f ESP=0384f580 EBP=0384f584 ECX=00000022 DS=016f ESI=bff94645 FS=5f4f EDX=817c7ee0 ES=016f EDI=0384f5ec GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 83 78 34 00 75 3d 66 83 78 38 00 75 36 ff 35 b0 Stack dump: 0384f674 0384f5b0 0161776c 0043ed40 00000001 016610b8 00000000 03840001 0384f618 0384f648 0384f5f8 00000000 0384f628 01619a77 01c03160 00000001 The the program must be shut ...

Word mail merge

Word 2007, Runtime Error code: 429, Active X component can't creat
We have office 2007 professional installed, some users are getting the following error when opening word 2007 Runtime Error code: 429, Active X component can't create object. When I re-create windows profile it's works fine, Is any workaround for this, or is any easy way to just re-create offcie 2007 profile ? ...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Working with Excel charts in Word
I've copied an Excel chart (ie, one based on an Excel spreadsheet) into Word. It's a bar chart with a lot of white space in the upper half. I cannot resize it to get rid of the white space. I've tried resizing, but it doesn't work. Can someone help? I'm using Office 2003. Thanks, Suroor Is it the white space inside the border you're trying to remove? If so, while in Excel select the chart, right click->Format Chart Area, under Patterns tab-> Borders, select None, and click OK. Select and paste into Word. "suroora" wrote: > I&...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Word 2007 macros won't work in document saved from template
Hello Am I doing something wrong? I have macros disabled with notification turned on, this works fine in a dot file with macros: warning when opening the template, user clicks on enable macros and all is fine. When opening a document created from the template, the macros don't work: nor does the notification message appear, only a msgbox warning when a macro is triggered "macros in this project have been disabled, refer to online documentation or help etc etc etc" How do I get the macros in the "doc" file to work the same way as when it was created from t...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

Some e-mail mesages get sent back Undeliverable, what settings ...
Some addresses I send to, but not all get sent back Undeliverable, what settings do I need to change? Try looking at these options for a solution.... I received an "Undeliverable" message notification from the administrator. The server might be busy or offline temporarily. Wait and then try sending your message again. How? In your Inbox, open the "Undeliverable" message. On the Actions menu, click Send Again. In the message, on the File menu, click Send. If you are using Microsoft Exchange Server, check to see if your name exists on the server. How? On the Tools...

Blank Worksheets

Pasting into merged cells #3
I want to copy information from an area that doesn't have merged cells to an area that has merged cells. When I do this I either get an error message or when I use the Paste values and number formats it only pastes every other entry. Is there another way to paste that I don't know of that will paste into the merged cells? -- Thanks, Nikki Hi best would be to get rid of merged cells. You could of course paste cell by cell "Nikki" wrote: > I want to copy information from an area that doesn't have merged cells to an > area that has merged cells. When I do ...

Error in Mail Merge when selecting Edit Individual Labels
We are noticing an interesting error when trying to perform a mail merge within CRM and Microsoft Word. We have created a view in contacts and we perform all the typical mail merge functionality using the Labels option. At the end, instead of printing the labels without any edits, we click on “Edit Individual labels” and we get the following error… C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are on CRM v4 Update Rollup 8 using Outlook 2007 and the CRM Outlook (Online only) client. Has an...

Autofit Row & Merged Cells
Is this just me or is it a common problem: I have some text in a cell. The cell is merged along a row with the adjacent cells, I have put word wrap on. Now Autofit Row doesn't work and only shows the first line of text. Is there anything I can do, apart for manually adjust the row height? Regards Take a look at this macro by Jim Rech: http://google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05 If you need help getting started with macros, look at David McRitchie's Getting Started with Macros page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm In article...

MS Office 2008 for Mac
I would like to switch my notebook to MacBook and would like to know can MS Office 2008 can read and write the files from MS Office 2007 for pc and vice versa. Thanks, Scott In article <#VKWhF1WIHA.5208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote: > I would like to switch my notebook to MacBook and would like to know can MS > Office 2008 can read and write the files from MS Office 2007 for pc and vice > versa. Yes. Office 2008 reads and writes the new Office Open XML files by default. ...

add confidential and pivacy note to bottom of all e-mails created in Outlook
How to add confidential and pivacy note to bottom of all e- mails created in Outlook 2000,2002 using exchange 2000 See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/content_control.htm for various methods and tools for controlling disclaimers and other signatures from the Exchange server. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "LAURAN" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8e7401c4967f$98753e50$a501280a@phx.gbl... &g...

Merged letter and made changes to merged letters. Final merged doc
Merged letter and made changes to merged letters. Final merged document has date in field code and atty wants to change it from Jan 5 to Jan 4. She does search and replace but the date automatically updates on print, even if we change that setting. -- Serena -- Serena "Serena K." wrote: > Merged letter and made changes to merged letters. Final merged document has > date in field code and atty wants to change it from Jan 5 to Jan 4. She does > search and replace but the date automatically updates on print, even if we > change that setting. >...

Merging .pst files
Over the last couple of years I have been working from both a desktop and a laptop computer when travelling (both running XP but with Outlook 2007 and 2003, respectively; but I'm told that shouldn't have any impact as they use the same type of .pst file system). I have copied outlook,pst files from one to another to ensure I'm always working with a current file. However, during those years, I have not always understood how to manage that process. Fortunately, I've always saved the old .pst file in case I screw something up. Well, I have screwed something up....