Merging with Word

I am trying to merge a dollar amount into a word document, but it only inserts the numbers themselves - not the $ sign or the comma.  I have the cell formatted as currency.  In the cell it shows the correct formatting, but up on "fx" bar it just shows the numbers.  I have also tried using different cell formats -- general, number -- but none of them seem to work.  Help!!!
0
anonymous (74717)

Hi

You could use a helper column with:
=TEXT(A2,"$0.00")
in it.

--
Andy.

"toby" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to merge a dollar amount into a word document, but it only
inserts the numbers themselves - not the $ sign or the comma.  I have the
cell formatted as currency.  In the cell it shows the correct formatting,
but up on "fx" bar it just shows the numbers.  I have also tried using
different cell formats -- general, number -- but none of them seem to work.
Help!!!

0
andyb1 (494)
5/27/2004 1:56:29 PM
In the Mail Merge, after you select your Excel file as a data source,
you should see a 'Confirm Data Source' dialog box.
   (If you don't see the dialog box, change the setting in Word --
    under Tools>Options, General -- add a check mark to
    'Confirm Conversion at Open')

 From that list, choose 'MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)', and
your formatting will be retained.

If you have to connect through a different source, you can format the
fields in the Word document. For example, to specify a number of decimals:

1. In Word, in the Main Document, press Alt+F9 to view the field codes.
2. Find the field code for the number. It will look something like:
                { MERGEFIELD FieldName }
3. Add a switch, to format the number as currency.
               For example:
                { MERGEFIELD FieldName  \# "$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)"}
4. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes.
5. Save the Main Document

toby wrote:
> I am trying to merge a dollar amount into a word document, but it only inserts the numbers themselves - not the $ sign or the comma.  I have the cell formatted as currency.  In the cell it shows the correct formatting, but up on "fx" bar it just shows the numbers.  I have also tried using different cell formats -- general, number -- but none of them seem to work.  Help!!!

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

unwanted formatting (Word 2007)
Hello, I have a template in Word 2007 that does a mailmerge with a .CSV file. The CSV file contains fields with document names (p.e. "ST 900.docx"). During the merge, the contents of these small documents is inserted. The documents are made in Courier 12. The template is also in Courier 12 and the default font in Normal.dotx is also Courier 12. After the merge, in the "output" document, the layout of the inserted text is completely messed up: in one line the font changes from Courier to Times New Roman and back and the text will be bold where it is not in the ...

I keep getting dialog box is open error in Word 2003.
Everytime I go into MS Word I get an error that says my dialog box is open. I have to click ok then I can go in. How can I get rid of this error? Disable the Office Plug-in option in Norton Antivirus (or other AV that you may be using). -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Tracey F" <Tracey F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01911FF2-10AB-43A6-9BBB-4E630A886D38@microsoft.com... > Everytime I go into MS Word I get an error that says my dialog box is > open. > I have to click ok then I can go in. How can I get rid of this error? ...

Why does Word crash?

I can't seem to get Microsoft Word to keep from freezing up.
Every time I try to open Word it freezes up and will not let me do anything. I have to have this for my on line classes. Excel freezes any time I try to save something. Everything else works fine Have you run Office Diagnostics or Detect/Repair? depending on version of Office, that you failed to mention "Marilyn" <Marilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37F0DBF4-5DCD-4564-9D57-6E398A19B0F7@microsoft.com... > Every time I try to open Word it freezes up and will not let me do > anything. > I have to have this for my on line classes. Exce...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Linking Cells: Excel into Word Document
Greetings, After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells in a worksheet be linked to a Word document. Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an extensive document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects. Would like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which would be many inserts/links) into t...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Word 2007, Runtime Error code: 429, Active X component can't creat
We have office 2007 professional installed, some users are getting the following error when opening word 2007 Runtime Error code: 429, Active X component can't create object. When I re-create windows profile it's works fine, Is any workaround for this, or is any easy way to just re-create offcie 2007 profile ? ...

Word mail merge

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

Slow Loading Word 2007
WIt seems to take quite a while to load word 7 as well it seems to shut down slowly or at times ir shows as word not responding. I've uninstalled MSoffice and then reinstalled and see no difference. Can anyone suggest something Thanks See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Norman" <Norman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39C173D8-965C-4B58-BCED-64EBCF18003F@microsoft.com... > WIt seems to take quite a while to load word 7 as well it seems to shut > down > slowly...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Working with Excel charts in Word
I've copied an Excel chart (ie, one based on an Excel spreadsheet) into Word. It's a bar chart with a lot of white space in the upper half. I cannot resize it to get rid of the white space. I've tried resizing, but it doesn't work. Can someone help? I'm using Office 2003. Thanks, Suroor Is it the white space inside the border you're trying to remove? If so, while in Excel select the chart, right click->Format Chart Area, under Patterns tab-> Borders, select None, and click OK. Select and paste into Word. "suroora" wrote: > I&...

Word 2007 Envelope Issue
When trying to print an envelope from a letter that I compsed, I click the Mailings tab then the Envelope icon. The name and address from the letter no longer displays in the Envelope field since I had Office 2007 installed. Can you tell me why and is there a fix for this? ...

Word 2007 macros won't work in document saved from template
Hello Am I doing something wrong? I have macros disabled with notification turned on, this works fine in a dot file with macros: warning when opening the template, user clicks on enable macros and all is fine. When opening a document created from the template, the macros don't work: nor does the notification message appear, only a msgbox warning when a macro is triggered "macros in this project have been disabled, refer to online documentation or help etc etc etc" How do I get the macros in the "doc" file to work the same way as when it was created from t...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

Error in Mail Merge when selecting Edit Individual Labels
We are noticing an interesting error when trying to perform a mail merge within CRM and Microsoft Word. We have created a view in contacts and we perform all the typical mail merge functionality using the Labels option. At the end, instead of printing the labels without any edits, we click on “Edit Individual labels” and we get the following error… C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are on CRM v4 Update Rollup 8 using Outlook 2007 and the CRM Outlook (Online only) client. Has an...

Editing in Print Preview in Word 2010
Is it possible to edit a file after clicking File, Print, in Word 2010 while you are still in Print Preview or is the only way to edit to click one of the tabs to return to the editing screen? Arlene I haven't used Word 2010 myself (yet), but I'm told that Print Preview is no longer editable in that version. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Arlene" <Arlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E0E367E-D3C3-4279-A128-BA2927812FCF@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to edit a file after clicking File, Print, in Word 2010 > wh...

Word 2007 numbered paragraphs
I need to number paragraphs beneath heading styles. 1 heading 1 1.1 paragraph 1 1.2 paragraph 2 2 heading 1 2.1 heading 2 2.1.1 paragraph 1 2.1.2 paragraph2 Outline numbering is what you need, the following articles have not been updated for 2007, but the process is the same just in slightly different places. First set up outline numbering, by carefully following the instructions at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html. Then see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm. -- Hope this helps DeanH "Phippsy" wrote: &...

Pasting into merged cells #3
I want to copy information from an area that doesn't have merged cells to an area that has merged cells. When I do this I either get an error message or when I use the Paste values and number formats it only pastes every other entry. Is there another way to paste that I don't know of that will paste into the merged cells? -- Thanks, Nikki Hi best would be to get rid of merged cells. You could of course paste cell by cell "Nikki" wrote: > I want to copy information from an area that doesn't have merged cells to an > area that has merged cells. When I do ...

Money 2008
I am a "once every three years" guy. My wife hates that. Any indication about the release of Money 2008? I own Money 2005. Bob nomail@mybox.net wrote: >I am a "once every three years" guy. My wife hates that. Any >indication about the release of Money 2008? I own Money 2005. > >Bob Must be close. Amazon has it listed on their web site - not shipping yet, but the time is approaching. -- __________________________________________________________________________________ Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all) What is on...

Autofit Row & Merged Cells
Is this just me or is it a common problem: I have some text in a cell. The cell is merged along a row with the adjacent cells, I have put word wrap on. Now Autofit Row doesn't work and only shows the first line of text. Is there anything I can do, apart for manually adjust the row height? Regards Take a look at this macro by Jim Rech: http://google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05 If you need help getting started with macros, look at David McRitchie's Getting Started with Macros page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm In article...

Merged letter and made changes to merged letters. Final merged doc
Merged letter and made changes to merged letters. Final merged document has date in field code and atty wants to change it from Jan 5 to Jan 4. She does search and replace but the date automatically updates on print, even if we change that setting. -- Serena -- Serena "Serena K." wrote: > Merged letter and made changes to merged letters. Final merged document has > date in field code and atty wants to change it from Jan 5 to Jan 4. She does > search and replace but the date automatically updates on print, even if we > change that setting. >...