Merging Multiple columns into one

How do you reverse the Text to columns function in excel.
I need to merge 8 columns into one with out losing any of
the data in the columns.  I separated and address into
multiple columns to do a sort on my worksheet, now I want
to merge the address data back together.
0
anonymous (74719)

The long-hand way is to create a 'helper' column and enter
a formula to join each column back together.

Example: =A1&","&B1&","&C1&","&D1

This would join columns A to D separated with a comma

Then simply copy the formula down the column.

0
anonymous (74719)
6/10/2004 9:10:49 PM
Hi Rhett.....,
'or to use a macro like   JOIN  if the separation was by
space (though it could be adapted).
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm

Advantage of a macro is that when you have run it, you
are finished, no messy cleanup.
---
HTH,

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ac1c01c44f2f$6772f1e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> The long-hand way is to create a 'helper' column and enter
> a formula to join each column back together.
>
> Example: =A1&","&B1&","&C1&","&D1
>
> This would join columns A to D separated with a comma
>
> Then simply copy the formula down the column.
>

> "Rhett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >How do you reverse the Text to columns function in
> excel.
> >I need to merge 8 columns into one with out losing any of
> >the data in the columns.  I separated and address into
> >multiple columns to do a sort on my worksheet, now I want
> >to merge the address data back together.
> >.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
6/10/2004 10:53:45 PM
Do you realize that you *don't* have to touch the data in the original
column, if you don't want to!

The next time you attempt this, keep in mind that you can keep the original
column "as is", while separating the data into *other* columns for sorting,
and then delete the separated columns when you're done.

All that's necessary, is in the final step, before you click <Finish>,
change the column address in the "Destination" box, to one *other* then the
original, where there is a sufficient number of empty contiguous columns to
accommodate the number of separations that you're implementing.
--

HTH,

RD

"Rhett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
How do you reverse the Text to columns function in excel.
I need to merge 8 columns into one with out losing any of
the data in the columns.  I separated and address into
multiple columns to do a sort on my worksheet, now I want
to merge the address data back together.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Convert Column to Row
I have a table: ID Price Quantitiy 1 1.00 2 I would like to convert the original table to something like this: This is a small sample of a much larger table. ID Measure Data 1 Price 1.00 1 Quantity 2 "banker123" <bradbrockman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4ecb0cac-74ef-4cd5-b0ec-c42813b3709e@v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a table: > > ID Price Quantitiy > 1 1.00 2 > > > I would like to convert the original table to something like this: > This is a small sample of a mu...

Copying columns from webpage
I'm trying to copy columns from an IE webpage and paste into Excel 97. When I do that, all of the info pastes in Column A and I need to use the "Text to Columns" feature to spread the info out into the correct columns. I've tried pasting it as "Text" and that doesn't seem to work. This only happens periodically, it worked fine yesterday. Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks! Once you have done Text to Columns once on data like that, Excel seems to remember what you have done and repeat it for you when you paste in new data. You might also want to cons...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Multiple Excels
Hello Group Here's a really easy question for you with what's probably a really easy answer, but Excel Help is no help so I need your help. I have two Windows shortcuts to open separate Excel files. What I'd like is that they open the files in two separate instances of Excel instead of in the one instance. When I'm working with two workbooks I find it easier to switch between two applications than to flick between two open workbooks using the toolbar option. Can anybody help? Best wishes Peter Kessler Kessler Associates E: digital@kessler-web.co.uk W: http://www.digital.ke...

how to combine multiple versions of single spreadsheet?
Well, the doomsday scenario has happened - two colleagues working on the same spreadsheet fail to communicate. Each has updated a project tracking sheet at the same time so we now have two new versions. Is there a way of Excel combining the latest data out of each sheet? To clarify: Person X opens spreadsheet version A to update and creates version B Person Y opens spreadsheet version A to update and creates version C There is a lot of work entailed in updating the sheets but luckily persons X and Y have their own projects so they do not update the same information. Is there a way to c...

Trying to combine multiple records into one record in a Query
I am new to Access, and very little knowledge about SQL. I read allot about normalization, need to know if I went to far with it with my Family table. Here is the structures for the tables I have, and of the query I want to create. Contact Table: tabContactID (Autonumber) ContactID (Create using VBA in a form) (PK) FirstName LastName etc.... Example: tabContactID ContactID FirstName LastName etc.... 0001 DonDuck Donald Duck 0002 MicMouse Mickey Mouse Next the Family Table: tabFamID (Autonumber)(PK...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Word mail merge

only one letter shows typing shortcut name
Windows XP pro SP3 This isn't really a big problem. I'm just curious about what is going on. Recently I notice that typing in a name (or changing a name) for desktop shortcut does this: The first three letters show up, then only one letter (the letter just typed) shows as the typing continues. The field expands as the name is typed but only one letter is visible as it is typed, until I am finished and hit return. Then the whole name shows up. Again, no big issue. Just curious. Any thoughts appreciated. Jack ...

Opening Multiple files simultaneously
I am trying to open several excel files at once, ie. select 2 or more files, right click, then click open, but I cannot get them to open at the same time. I have to open each file separately. I can have several files open at once but they must be opened individually Hi Lothar, I am not sure of a VBA way to do this but you can certainly open multiple files when using Explorer. Just shift+click the files you require, right click and open files. Regards, Nick. >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to open several excel files at once, ie. >select 2 or more files, right cli...

Sharing one outlook file between a laptop and a desktop
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the same outlook file on two machines, running different versions of outlook? I would like to buy a laptop, and use it while traveling. My desktop at home has Outlook 2002, and I would like both systems to run off the same outlook database (is it the .pst file?). When I return home, I would like to update the desktop by syncing it to the laptop, like a pocket pc, and updating the files on the desktop. Am I living on the other side of the looking glass, or is this possible? Can you this same idea work amongst a network of different machines runnin...

Can I freeze multiple rows?
I'm working on a spreadsheet that has contact information in the farthest lefthand collumn and collumn headers at the top of the spreadsheet. Is there a way that I can freeze both of them so that I always know what I'm looking at without having to scroll all the way up or all the way over? Thanks a bunch! =) If you click on cell B2 and do Window > FreezePanes, then both column A and row 1 will be "frozen"....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 " <littlestar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B58B895-7C24-4418-87B3-B3B5F35AA682@microsoft.com....

Split "Firstname Lastname" text box into two columns, Multiple Aut
Hello, I've got a bibliography data base I'm trying to set up and would like to enter a name, "John Smith" into my form and have it add an entry into my Authors table as Column 1 - John, Column 2, Smith. Also, there are sometimes mulitple authors on any given paper. How can I enter mulitple authors for the same paper? Below is the VBA, SQL code I've been trying to work from. I get an error, "Number of query values and destination fields are not the same" when I try to run it. But it still would 't solve the mulitple author problem even if it wo...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

adding data from multiple spreadsheets into one chart
I need to put information from 4 different spreadsheets into one graph. Can someone please help me? Produce a graph from your first spreadsheet. Copy the relevant data range from the second spreadsheet, then select the graph and edit/ paste special/ new series or new data points. Similarly for the third and fourth sheets. If you have difficulties getting exactly what you want that way, you can use edit Source Data in the graph to add an extra series or to change the X or Y data range for an existing sreries. -- David Biddulph "Marjory" <Marjory@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

formula for adding / subtracting two columns .
Can't find formula to add or subtract two or three entire columns in a spread sheet Thank you Let's say we have numbers in two columns, column A and column B from rows 1 thru 100. In C1, enter: =A1+B1 and copy down thru C100 Column C will be the sum of columns A & B. To get the grand sum of columns A & B in a single cell, enter in an un-used cell: =SUM(A1:B100) -- Gary''s Student "jm" wrote: > Can't find formula to add or subtract two or three entire columns in a spread > sheet > Thank you Hi Try something like: =SUM(A:A)-SUM(B:B)-S...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

Autopopulate Multiple Fields in Table Using a Form
I have a form based on a table where I want to store data. The data to store comes from combo boxes based on various lookup tables. The wrinkle is that there is one lookup table that contains 2 fields of data (questionnum and question) I want stored in the table once the questionnum is selected. The question field is formatted as 'memo'. When I create the combo box the question field is not an option for selection. I add it manually to the properties after completing the criteria for the combo box. I have been struggling with the code used to autopopulate more than one field but...

Moving email from one computer to another
How do I transfer email folders from outlook in one computer to outlook in another computer? Thanks in advance Export all your messages to a .pst file from outlook and then import them on the other from that same .pst file. File / Import Export Wizard / Export to a file / Select Personal Folder File ..pst / Select which folder has your mail / Pick the location and the name of the backup file / Then click on FINISH. I hope this helps Thanks "Mickey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022f01c3c9ac$1a01a860$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I transfer e...

Adjusting column width doesn't Wrap the text
I have users that need to type in text into cells in Excel but the wrap text within the cells doesn't seem to work properly. On what way? Have you turned it on under format>cells>alignment and wrap text. To force it w/o applying text wrap change lines using alt + enter -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Duke" <duke@fpwk.com> wrote in message news:2948401c39197$96eb0620$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have users that need to type in text into cells in Excel > but the wrap text within the cells doesn't seem to work > properly. Yikes! I am turning into DP! [In wh...

Sorting Multiple Sheets
I have a workbook with multiple sheets. The main sheet has 2 columns, 1 for first name, 1 for last name. The remaining sheets all have formulas to pull the first and last names automatically from the 1st sheet. If a user sorts the names on the first sheet, they will sort on subsequent sheets, but the information that goes with those names on subsequent sheets will not be included in the sort, thereby misplacing information. Is there anyway to remedy this, short of sorting each sheet each time there is an addition to any one sheet? ...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Subtracting Columns
Urgent ~ What is the fastest way to subtract two columns at one tim without typing in the formula for each entry. Example: Column B - Column C = Column D Thank Yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Jag in cell D1 (or D2, depending on where the data starts) put the formula =B1-C1. Then drag down the column. The formula will adjust for each row. Regards Trevor "JAG >" <<JAG.11fjge@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:JAG.11fjge@excelforum-nospam.com... > Urgent ~ What is the fastest way to subtract two columns at one time > without ...