Memory space

Hi

I need to provide caller / officer stats sheets for every working day
of the year, quite a lot of figures for each day. What I was wondering
was, which would be the best use of memory: 52 weekly worksheets, each
with 5 days' worth of figures, or 312 pages each with just 1 day's
worth? We use Excel 2007, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice

Ttacey
0
Tracey

Hi Tracey
As each worksheet eats up a certain amount of space for the code required to
tell Excel that it exists, and considering that there is going to be some
redundant data in the form of column/row headings, I think that 52 weekly
sheets will probably consume less memory space.

"Tracey Stevenson" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to provide caller / officer stats sheets for every working day
> of the year, quite a lot of figures for each day. What I was wondering
> was, which would be the best use of memory: 52 weekly worksheets, each
> with 5 days' worth of figures, or 312 pages each with just 1 day's
> worth? We use Excel 2007, if that makes any difference.
>
> Thanks for any advice
>
> Ttacey
> .

Memory is not going to be an issue. The overhead of a sheet is very minimal.
The bigger concern will be the manageability of the spreadsheet. At 52 tabs
it will be difficult to manage. At 312 it will be darn near impossible.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Tracey Stevenson" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to provide caller / officer stats sheets for every working day
> of the year, quite a lot of figures for each day. What I was wondering
> was, which would be the best use of memory: 52 weekly worksheets, each
> with 5 days' worth of figures, or 312 pages each with just 1 day's
> worth? We use Excel 2007, if that makes any difference.
>
> Thanks for any advice
>
> Ttacey
> .

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I'd decided it would be easier for me to
stick to the 52 / 53 weeks' plan.

Thank you!

Tracey

On 9 Feb, 14:41, Minty Fresh <MintyFr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hi Tracey
> As each worksheet eats up a certain amount of space for the code required to
> tell Excel that it exists, and considering that there is going to be some
> redundant data in the form of column/row headings, I think that 52 weekly
> sheets will probably consume less memory space.
0
Tracey
2/9/2010 3:32:36 PM
On 9 Feb, 15:24, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-
This-.com> wrote:
> Memory is not going to be an issue. The overhead of a sheet is very minimal.
> The bigger concern will be the manageability of the spreadsheet. At 52 tabs
> it will be difficult to manage. At 312 it will be darn near impossible.
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

My husband got round this by doing a 52 / 53 week plan, and nameing
each tab "w/c xxxx" where 'xxxx' is the date of the Monday of each
week. He then put a pop-up calendar control on another sheet to select
the appropriate week. He knows nothing about how Excel works its'
memory, though, so couldn't help me.

The 52 week idea is much more manageble, yes. Thanks again!

Tracey

> "Tracey Stevenson" wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > I need to provide caller / officer stats sheets for every working day
> > of the year, quite a lot of figures for each day. What I was wondering
> > was, which would be the best use of memory: 52 weekly worksheets, each
> > with 5 days' worth of figures, or 312 pages each with just 1 day's
> > worth? We use Excel 2007, if that makes any difference.
>
> > Thanks for any advice
>
> > Ttacey
> > .

0
Tracey

Memory usage in XP (memory leak detection)
Hi How can I found out the memory usage on XP ? My XP box uses over a week all memory and then has no resources available. It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB free) I used typeperf with the following: \Memory\Available Bytes \Memory\Committed Bytes \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak \Process(_total)\Working Set \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes \Process(_total)\Private Bytes \Proc...

not enough memory on excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <i>run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade to 3 g and same</i>&#32; message not enough memory can some one help me only word working Run Remove Office then re-install Office On 30/03/10 7:08 AM, in article 59bb629f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Snow_leopard@officeformac.com" <Snow_leopard@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade t...

Is it a memory leak
AoA I have used standard template library in one of my applications. I belive that memory leaks are due to stl components, mainly string. i wrote a sample program in VC 6.0 that clearly shows memory leaks in stl wstring str = L""; for( int a = 0 ; a < 100000 ; a++ ) { str += L"int"; } str.str.erase( str.begin() , str.end() ); str = L"int"; i wrote this code against a button in dialog based application. Before clicking the button, the memory usage is 3MB and after this code it is 17MB although i believe it should have been bac...

Space for recovery point (DPM 2007), file related
OK, I have found the different worksheet and different tools, web site, and KB to calculate the sizing of DPM volumes, but I am hitting a "head scratching" confusing something. Let me give a scenario and please correct me when needed ;) I have an SQL server, that I use SQL Maintenance to create BAK file, once a day, and keeping 7 days of backup. The backup folder with all the DB are 60gig (Yes I can use DPM to backup the DB directly, but I still want to have the SQL BAK done). So to me, this is a simply "FILE backup", with a Replica volume of always 60gb, a...

Exchange memory utilization
Is there any documentation detailing the exchange 2003 memory utilization , especially in coordination with the max store size. thanks CR What do you want to know? Exchange will use all the memory it can in the box, up to 4GB, for caching, and this isn't a function of store size. It will release memory so that other processes can get what they need. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "MSNews" <Craig@nowhere.org> wrote in message news:etwPVF%23RHHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there any documentati...

Out of Memory
I am using Excel 2000. Operating system is MS 2000. Ram = 512. I am running a large Excel file 65,536 rows by 24 columns. The columns may expand somewhat; say 5 extra rows as the Macro runs. The Excel file links to another Excel file to do some vlookups. Some formatting is going on as well as Paste Special Value. I get an out of error message and Excel stops. If I only have 50,000 rows it works fine. I have increased the virtual memory to the maximum, same thing. Any suggestions???? Hi, There are only 65536 rows in a worksheet. You cannot use all the rows. Split your sheet into sevra...

White space under text box on line
Hi, Visio 2003. Could someone please tell me how to increase the "white space" under text on a line? For example, after you draw a line between two shapes, double-clicking on the line brings up the text box, in which to place some text. This is fine, but try as I might to change the properties of the text box, the line "under" the text comes within a pixel or two of the text itself. I need the increase the white space around the text, so that it's easier for the reader to see. I tried setting the margins of the "text box" (I'm assuming their refer...

memory growing spreadsheet
Hi Again I have another query- For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes, then "Wolla" 10+mb It only happens every now and again, but I have tried copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a different name,copy sheet into different book, but still can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my changes back out What is going on? John .. Hi John, What are you doing? Whatever it is, I think I'd want to do something else. But I haven't any hint what to avoid doing &...

space in word
i want the space between word, i used the following VB Code, But its not work. When i run the VB code, i get word seperated from number, but there is no space between word. what i have to make changes in VB Code. I am really thankful to Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP. again help expected Sub RemoveNumbers() ' Remove alpha characters from a string. ' except for decimal points and hyphens. Dim intI As Integer Dim rngR As Range, rngRR As Range Dim strNotNum As String, strTemp As String Set rngRR = Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _ xlTextValues) For Each rngR I...

Is this a memory leak?
Hi, I am trying to figure out why a program keep consuming more memory the longer that it runs. I tried detecting a memory leak using the CMemoryState object. I find that the program is using more memory after executing this line: PullComma(sData); The source for PullComma is: //======================================================================= void PullComma(CString& string) // Remove comma from start of string //======================================================================= { Strip(string); if (string.IsEmpty()) return; if (string.GetAt(0) == ',') string =...

CPU usage, memory and virtual memory
Hello, On certain occasions, some applications can consume close to 100% cpu usage and freeze up the machine. But some apps can consume 100% cpu, but allow you to work on other applciations. What is the difference? Is it the memory and virtual memory consumption? Number ofpage faults? I am working on a multithreaded MFC application, which freezes up the machine (when it does some computations). A look at the task manager tells me it consumes 99% cpu and a lot of memory and virtual memory space. I would like to make sure that when my applciation computes, it does it as fast as possible and it...

Accessing physical memory through PC/104 bus
Hello all. We need to access (read/write) memory on devices (cards) attached to PC/104 bus. Operating system: Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Target processor: Advantech PCM-3375 (x86 architecture) http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-3375/mod_1-2JKGWQ.aspx We were using operating system QNX 4.25 before, now we plan to migrate our code to WinCE6. Under QNX, we were accessing the memory using block of code similar to this one: { int addr =3D 0xd9080; // physical address on card unsigned long size =3D 0x1000; // size of block to access unsigned char...

remove spaces in a cell
how to i remove the spaces between numbers within a cell? 1 2 3 4 change to 1234 thankyou for everyone help -- ROL ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ROLG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1606 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27577 Select the cell Choose Edit>Replace In the 'Find What' box, type a space Leave the 'Replace With' box empty Click 'Replace All' Click OK to confirm the replacement Click Close ROLG wrote: > how to i remove the...

CWinThread and Memory Leaks.
I want to have a simple progress bar displayed whilst my MFC application is doing a lengthy operation. To do this, I am creating a user interface thread which displays a dialog containing a progress bar control. This is implemented using two classes: class CProgressDlg : public CDialog class CProgressThread : public CWinThread The CProgressThread class has a member variable: CProgressDlg m_Dlg; At the start of the lengthy operation I create a new instance of CProgressThread, and set the m_bAutoDelete member TRUE before calling CProgressThread::CreateThread(); In CProgressThread::InitInst...

Memory leak?
Hello Group, How can I be sure that I don't have memory leak in my dialog based app? Thanks in advance, Geo Hi > > How can I be sure that I don't have memory leak in my > dialog based app? > > Thanks in advance, > Geo you can use CMemoryState MFC class. Regards, Robert Thank you Robert. >-----Original Message----- >Hi >> >> How can I be sure that I don't have memory leak in my >> dialog based app? >> >> Thanks in advance, >> Geo > >you can use CMemoryState MFC class. > >Regards, Robert > > >....

Outlook 2000 memory error
Hi, When I deleted an item in Calendar, I got error message that "There is not enough memory available to perform the operation." I am using Outlook 2000. Thanks in advance. Grace ...

Edit story in MS Word
I am unable to use the "edit story in Word" feature with MS Pub '03. However, I *can* open MS Word while Pub is running and do copy/paste editing. I have tried disabling script blocking in NAV to no avail. Thanks in advance for any help! After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Wayne Wilson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I have tried disabling script blocking in NAV to no avail. Have you disabled the Microsoft Office PlugIn in NAV? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading t...

saving an excel file into Formatted Text(Space Delimited)
Hallo, there is a problem occuring while i want to save my excel worksheet as Formatted Text(Space Delimited) format. it is converting the data correctly but in place of coming in a single line data is wrapping. i want the data should display in a single line. as trying to solve this problem i have selected the whole worksheet & selected format cells, from the alignment tab of that i have checked off the wrap text check box. but still the same problem is occuring. please help urgently! There are limitations with saving as a .prn file (especially 240 characters per line). If you tr...

Database in memory
Hi, I have a large amount of information which I store in memory. I store this information as array of structures using CPtrArray. The structure is pretty complex, has subarrays. I normally iterate through all of the array and do some checks and process the needed information only. Speed is the keypoint. My question is: Is it possible to create a small database having several tables completely in memory and query it with SQL? If it is possible to manage that, will it be faster than my method of query? Thanks! Have a look at http://sqlite.org/ I use it in a couple of the things I work on ...

Virtual Memory Fragmentation #3
I get this message in the Event Viewer: The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that normal operation may begin to fail. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue. Can't resolve the problem with restarting the Exchange 2K services or rebooting the server. Is this a critical issue or can it be left alone? And how to fix? Hi Hassan, Exchange server requires some amount of virtual memory and one thing is for sure that Exchange is memory greedy application... every application requires some amou...

memory.dmp
if windows crashes and memory gets dumped into memory.dmp, what can I as a user do with this file? do I need it? can there be anything in there that would help me to find out why windows is crashing? Using Wordpad, after 1 minute, it seems like it has only opened 1%. rr@nospam.edu wrote: > if windows crashes and memory gets dumped into memory.dmp, what can I as > a user do with this file? do I need it? can there be anything in there > that would help me to find out why windows is crashing? Using Wordpad, > after 1 minute, it seems like it has only opened 1%. You n...

.Exchange being added to the SMTP address space. Can anyone PLEASE Help!
Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help me. I am having a very odd problem half way through a Lotus R5 to Exchange 2003 Migration. A bit of background on the environment: There are currently two Domino R5 Servers, let's call them domino1, and domino2. Domino1 is the Mail gateway, and domino2 has all the user mailboxes on it. The future environment, will consist of two exchange servers, let's call them exchange1, and exchange2. exchange1 is a front end server, and exchange2 is the backend server. I am in the middle of the migration, and have migrated three mailboxes already. We...

CDC::BitBlt, memory 2 memory.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C4044E.48372430 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to bitblt a bitmap onto a "ball" DC, then from the "ball" DC to a = memory DC, then from the memory DC to the window DC. But I am very = difficulties! What am I missing? It seemed so simple on paper. = Arrrhhhh... CBitmap bmp; bmp.LoadBitmap(IDB_BALL); BITMAP bmpInfo; bmp.GetBitmap(&bmpInfo); CDC DCMemory, DCBall; CBrush CBWhite(RGB(255, 255, 255)); DCMemory.CreateCompat...

Out of memory
Hello, I am working on a macro with excel, which crunches a lot of data and plots graphs. I am running into issues with Out of memory problems. I am currently using 512 MB Ram computer with Excel 2000. Any suggestions or pointers to solve this problem would be appreciated. Thanks. The amount of physical memory you have is of little consequence as Excel only uses it's own pool. You may wish to check this out? http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "fobinus" <h...

additional exchage in a shared address space / install question #2
Hello Group! I am about to run out of space on my exchange server, so I came here for an advice. I have 3 physical locations Location 1 - Headquarters (50 Users in the workgroup environment) Location 2 - Remote Site (10 Users Domain Environment with Exchange) Location 3 - Remote Site (7 Users Domain Environment) I have a Gateway to Gateway VPN tunnel between Location 2 and 3. I am in a single Active Directory 2003 forest with a single domain (mycompany.local) DC at the location 2 holds all 5 FSMO roles. Exchange 2003 Enterprise is configured on the same server. Users from 2nd location run ...