memory growing spreadsheet

Hi Again
I have another query-
For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can
start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes,
then "Wolla" 10+mb
It only happens every now and again, but I have tried
copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a
different name,copy sheet into different book, but still
can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my
changes back out
What is going on?
John
..

0
anonymous (74721)

Hi John,
What are you doing?  Whatever it is, I think I'd want to do something
else.  But I haven't any hint what to avoid doing <grin>.    Perhaps
you have a macro making a changes to huge selections rather
than just what should be changed.   Did you install an addin recently.

The first thing I'd check would be your last cell  [Ctrl+End]
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm#resetall
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm#makelastcell
Don't forget to save your file for changes to occur.
---
HTH,

"JohnUK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1784e01c448e5$b1c67320$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Again
> I have another query-
> For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can
> start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes,
> then "Wolla" 10+mb
> It only happens every now and again, but I have tried
> copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a
> different name,copy sheet into different book, but still
> can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my
> changes back out
> What is going on?
> John
> .

0
dmcritchie (2586)
6/3/2004 1:24:36 PM
John
    This is usually caused because Excel thinks the used range on your
sheets is much bigger than you intend it to be.
    For each one of your sheets, scroll to the last column and last row of
your actual data.  That gets you a cell address.  Now do Ctrl - End.  This
takes you to the cell that Excel thinks is the last cell of your data.  If
this cell is significantly far away from the cell you thought was your last
cell, then that may be your problem.
    You fix this problem as follows.  For each sheet, do this:
Say your last actual data cell is G100.
In the name box (right above column A), type 101:65536 and hit Enter.
This selects every row from row 101 to the bottom of the sheet.
Do Edit - Delete
Again in the name box type H:IV.  This selects every column from H to the
right end of the sheet.
Do Edit - Delete
Do this for every sheet.
Save the file.
Close the file.
Open the file.
Done.
HTH  Otto
"JohnUK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Again
> I have another query-
> For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can
> start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes,
> then "Wolla" 10+mb
> It only happens every now and again, but I have tried
> copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a
> different name,copy sheet into different book, but still
> can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my
> changes back out
> What is going on?
> John
> .

Memory usage in XP (memory leak detection)
Hi How can I found out the memory usage on XP ? My XP box uses over a week all memory and then has no resources available. It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB free) I used typeperf with the following: \Memory\Available Bytes \Memory\Committed Bytes \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak \Process(_total)\Working Set \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes \Process(_total)\Private Bytes \Proc...

finding macros/formulas used in a spreadsheet
I was sent a spreadsheet and it has various columns whose rows calculate based on certain criteria. How can I find the formulas or macros that control these columns. Is there a basic way to do this so I can learn how they are crafted? jc Excel 2002 Windows 2000 To find formulas hit CTRL + `(backquote above Tab key) to toggle "show formulas". If you do have Macros they are probably event code behind the worksheet(s). Right-click on a sheet tab and "View Code". Anything there? Alt + q to return to Excel. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 1...

Can a spreadsheet be too complicated for the computer to run
Basically i have a huge spreadsheet, its almost 6000KB and my rubbish com,puter cannot cope with it. I have an intel pentium 4 with 3.06GHz, 1.9GB hard drive according to the system properties. My spreadsheet has the following formula repeated on numerous lines: =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($A15,ITLD004!$A:$E,4,FALSE)),0,VLOOKUP($A15,ITLD004!$A:$E,4,FALSE)) IT are saying its not my computer, i have over complicated the spreadsheet. Bearing in mind their first exuse for it crashing was that the columns were not all alligned correctly and this was causing it to crash :| i do not b...

not enough memory on excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <i>run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade to 3 g and same</i>&#32; message not enough memory can some one help me only word working Run Remove Office then re-install Office On 30/03/10 7:08 AM, in article 59bb629f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Snow_leopard@officeformac.com" <Snow_leopard@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade t...

Is it a memory leak
AoA I have used standard template library in one of my applications. I belive that memory leaks are due to stl components, mainly string. i wrote a sample program in VC 6.0 that clearly shows memory leaks in stl wstring str = L""; for( int a = 0 ; a < 100000 ; a++ ) { str += L"int"; } str.str.erase( str.begin() , str.end() ); str = L"int"; i wrote this code against a button in dialog based application. Before clicking the button, the memory usage is 3MB and after this code it is 17MB although i believe it should have been bac...

How to put in alphabetic list automatically in Excel Spreadsheet?
I am cataloging my DVD's and would like to know how to put the list into alphabetical order once they are on the spreadsheet. I have the list created, but cannot for the life of me remember how to do it, if it is possible that is!! Yes, it has been a long time between uses of the application. Many thanks for any help anyone can offer. Helen :-) Boom wrote on Tue, 11 Jul 2006 03:16:02 -0700: BSL> I am cataloging my DVD's and would like to know how to put BSL> the list into alphabetical order once they are on the BSL> spreadsheet. I have the list created, but cannot for...

Exchange memory utilization
Is there any documentation detailing the exchange 2003 memory utilization , especially in coordination with the max store size. thanks CR What do you want to know? Exchange will use all the memory it can in the box, up to 4GB, for caching, and this isn't a function of store size. It will release memory so that other processes can get what they need. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "MSNews" <Craig@nowhere.org> wrote in message news:etwPVF%23RHHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there any documentati...

Out of Memory
I am using Excel 2000. Operating system is MS 2000. Ram = 512. I am running a large Excel file 65,536 rows by 24 columns. The columns may expand somewhat; say 5 extra rows as the Macro runs. The Excel file links to another Excel file to do some vlookups. Some formatting is going on as well as Paste Special Value. I get an out of error message and Excel stops. If I only have 50,000 rows it works fine. I have increased the virtual memory to the maximum, same thing. Any suggestions???? Hi, There are only 65536 rows in a worksheet. You cannot use all the rows. Split your sheet into sevra...

Using spreadsheet to fill in forms
We need to create a form of an invoice in a very specific format (determined by an international shipping company). We will have several items which will need to be filled in on every invoice. We would like to be able to fill in all the pertinent invoice information on a spreadsheet and have each line populate the form/invoice to save & print. I have used forms in the past in which we just tab from text entry to text entry but we're hoping to make this easier on the user by using a spreadsheet or some other form instead of bouncing all over a form. Is there a way to d...

What is the purpose for a Spreadsheet? #2
This is part of a IT assignment, and this is the only thing that I have no idea about, i just use it to make Tables and Charts ...

spreadsheet #9
I want to create a workbook. Then I want to freeze that workbook so that it can not be changed. I want people to open it, and do a save as and name that workbook something else. Then, I want the new workbook to be fully editable. Is this possible? Dan Sounds as though you want to save your file as a Template. Excel knows to open a copy of template files, not the file itself. If the template is named DansTemplate.xlt and a user opens it, they'll see a new workbook named DansTemplate1 Look at 'Create a template' in the help file "Dan Danes" wrote: > I ...

How do I delete blank rows at the bottom of a spreadsheet to get .
I have a spreadsheet that has been edited, expanded, edited. etc... Now, it' is down to about 1500 rows, yet the slider bar on the right is very tiny. When I hit Control+End to get to the end of the worksheet, it takes me to Column AA, Row 7569. I have selected all the rows betwee 1600 and 8000 and deleted them, but the vertical scroll bar and Control+End still takes me to 7569. What can I do to fix this? Thanks! Have a look here on how to reset the used range http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please po...

Microsoft Spreadsheet Help
Hi I'm on Microsoft Spreadsheet and I was wondering how to paste a image into the sheet. I tried copying it, but both paste and past special were greyed. Any ideas?? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try insert, picture -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "zb85 >" <<zb85.15jmfb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message...

Getting Excel 2007 Spreadsheets to Open Maximized
We save a lot of info for our users in spreadsheets on a server. The addresses of the spreadsheets are linked on a web page so the users can easily find them. The problem is that no matter how we save the spreadsheet, when the user clicks the web link and the spreadsheet opens, it is always Restored Undocked. For some users the sheet tabs are off the bottom of the screen and I've seen on where the sheet only had a little corner showing. Not all of our people are savvy enough to understand how to get the spreadsheet maximized when the upper right hand buttons aren't showing. ...

memory growing spreadsheet
Hi Again I have another query- For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes, then "Wolla" 10+mb It only happens every now and again, but I have tried copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a different name,copy sheet into different book, but still can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my changes back out What is going on? John .. Hi John, What are you doing? Whatever it is, I think I'd want to do something else. But I haven't any hint what to avoid doing &...

Is this a memory leak?
Hi, I am trying to figure out why a program keep consuming more memory the longer that it runs. I tried detecting a memory leak using the CMemoryState object. I find that the program is using more memory after executing this line: PullComma(sData); The source for PullComma is: //======================================================================= void PullComma(CString& string) // Remove comma from start of string //======================================================================= { Strip(string); if (string.IsEmpty()) return; if (string.GetAt(0) == ',') string =...

CPU usage, memory and virtual memory
Hello, On certain occasions, some applications can consume close to 100% cpu usage and freeze up the machine. But some apps can consume 100% cpu, but allow you to work on other applciations. What is the difference? Is it the memory and virtual memory consumption? Number ofpage faults? I am working on a multithreaded MFC application, which freezes up the machine (when it does some computations). A look at the task manager tells me it consumes 99% cpu and a lot of memory and virtual memory space. I would like to make sure that when my applciation computes, it does it as fast as possible and it...

Transaction logs growing despite circular logging
We are running Exchange 2003 SP1. Even though I've enabled circular logging, the size of transaction logs are still growing. Any idea. I haven't dismounted and remounted the storage group since I checked the box for circular logging. Is that the reason? Thanks. Zack wrote: > We are running Exchange 2003 SP1. Even though I've enabled circular > logging, the size of transaction logs are still growing. Any idea. I > haven't dismounted and remounted the storage group since I checked > the box for circular logging. Is that the reason? > > Thanks. ...

OWA Can't Open Excel Spreadsheet.
Greetings Everyone, I have a bit of a complicated question here. People in my company can view Excel attatchments over Outlook Web Access but not one particular spreadsheet. (The web page says "Done" but does not display any information or error message. Just a blank screen.) I narrowed the problem down to the fact that this spreadsheet has links to the actual information in another database. Is there anything that can be done to fix this so that they can view this spreadsheet? As of now I am having them work arround the problem by creating a ghost spreadsheet without the link...

Extracting email address from spreadsheet. Pls take a look.
Hi, Basically, what I need to do is haveing a formula that will extract a email address from the previous column. In column A I will have a bunch of text including one or more emai address. There are two solutions that would help me a LOT. The most simple: WIll extract the first email only and place in o column B. The most complicated: Will extract the first email adn put on column B if there is a second email will put on column C, etc... Basically, the formula needs to look on each cell on column A and fin an @ sign. Then follow the next characters to the left and right unti there is...

CWinThread and Memory Leaks.
I want to have a simple progress bar displayed whilst my MFC application is doing a lengthy operation. To do this, I am creating a user interface thread which displays a dialog containing a progress bar control. This is implemented using two classes: class CProgressDlg : public CDialog class CProgressThread : public CWinThread The CProgressThread class has a member variable: CProgressDlg m_Dlg; At the start of the lengthy operation I create a new instance of CProgressThread, and set the m_bAutoDelete member TRUE before calling CProgressThread::CreateThread(); In CProgressThread::InitInst...

How do you merge two spreadsheets to update data.
I have two spreadsheets with all columns and headings the same. One heading is vendor numbers. The master spreadsheet I get contains many more vendors that I don't want to track. I want to update certain vendors by vendor number from one master spreadsheet every month and update the same info with a selected list of vendors every month. How do i do it. Hi, I would assume that some form of lookup will suffice, such as an INDEX or VLOOKUP. Use your help menu for a detailed description and examples on how they work. Once you get your head around them they're quite easy. Cheers,...

Background color on Excel Spreadsheet
Somehow one of my spreadsheets suddenly has a grey background without grids. I wish to have the classic white with grids. What should I do? Thanks. -- Dick Hi Dick, Select all cells Ctrl+A (in Excel 2003 use two Ctrl+A and pray that you get what you ask) or use the gray square at the intersection of the Rows & Columns which is NOT the same. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm#foobar Then use the fill color button choosing "No Fill Color" or Format, Cells, Pattern, "No Color" at top of the color palette If that does not work poss...

Accessing physical memory through PC/104 bus
Hello all. We need to access (read/write) memory on devices (cards) attached to PC/104 bus. Operating system: Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Target processor: Advantech PCM-3375 (x86 architecture) http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-3375/mod_1-2JKGWQ.aspx We were using operating system QNX 4.25 before, now we plan to migrate our code to WinCE6. Under QNX, we were accessing the memory using block of code similar to this one: { int addr =3D 0xd9080; // physical address on card unsigned long size =3D 0x1000; // size of block to access unsigned char...

Memory leak?
Hello Group, How can I be sure that I don't have memory leak in my dialog based app? Thanks in advance, Geo Hi > > How can I be sure that I don't have memory leak in my > dialog based app? > > Thanks in advance, > Geo you can use CMemoryState MFC class. Regards, Robert Thank you Robert. >-----Original Message----- >Hi >> >> How can I be sure that I don't have memory leak in my >> dialog based app? >> >> Thanks in advance, >> Geo > >you can use CMemoryState MFC class. > >Regards, Robert > > >....