matching data from different tables with similar columns

HI, I am having some trouble with matching some data and I was wonderin
if anybody could help me?  I have two tables with the columns "Name" an
"Amount", the first table has the column "Names" field but the colum
"Amount" empty.  I wanted to fill the "Amount" column in the firs
table based on the second table, the problem is that the second tabl
has many more records than the first.  Is there a way to create
formula to look up the name on second table and "amount" data on th
first table.  Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Marco

Try the VLOOKUP function.

In the first table enter in the amount column the formula:

=VLOOKUP(D16,table_two_range,2,FALSE)
where d16 is the cell that contains the name and make sure
the table 2 range is "absolute" with $ signs - like
$D$12:$E$200.

Then copy that formula down, and "copy and paste special
values" if you  want to "lock in the values"

Good luck

Mike

I was wondering
>if anybody could help me?  I have two tables with the
columns "Name" and
>"Amount", the first table has the column "Names" field
but the column
>"Amount" empty.  I wanted to fill the "Amount" column in
the first
>table based on the second table, the problem is that the
second table
>has many more records than the first.  Is there a way to
create a
>formula to look up the name on second table and "amount"
data on the
>first table.  Thanks for the help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Marcos
>

>---
>
>.

0
anonymous (74722)
8/10/2004 2:12:48 PM
Hi Marcos,
try using something like
Assume that table 1 is on sheet1 in columns A and B
and table 2 is on sheet2 in columns A and B
SUMIF(Sheet2!A:A,Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!B:B))
put that in your amount column

A better solution might be to use a pivot table to
summarize the data.

HTH

0
mmzehr (177)

How do I preserve text color when combining cell data
I'm using "&" to combine data from multiple cells. Each cell has text of a different color and I want to preserve those colors in the new combined cell. The new combined cell is formatting all the text to one color. Anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain the separate colors in the new cell? A formula can only return a value to a cell, so you cannot return formatting and such. =A1&A2 will return the value of A1 and A2 to the cell that has that formula entered in it. HTH Regards, Howard "CraigS" <CraigS@discussions.microsof...

Matching function or no match
I am using this formula to compare 2 list to see which numbers are not included in both column A and Col C. The formula I am using below pulls out the ones that i do have a match . Is there another function that I could use that would only pull out the ones that there is not a match? =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),"",A1) Thanks Uh =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),A1,"") -- HTH Bob "Donna" <donna@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:BE688A2B-3D42-45A0-AA3F-B65034C685E1@microsoft.com... > > I am using this for...

Client E-Mail and Web E-Mail not matching
I've got a few complaints from about 4 users where e-mail they see in their Outlook Client is not showing up in their Outlook Web Client when they check their e-mail from a remote location. We're using Exchange 2003 with SP2 installed and all the users have Office Outlook 2003 with SP1 Installed also. This seems to only have been a problem since we upgraded to Exchange SP2 two weeks ago. (Although I can't confirm it, but I wasn't told of any problems before th upgrade.) We had to upgrade to SP2 because of the 16 Gig limit so rollback is not an option. Best as I can t...

Extracting Data from Excel
Hi, Is it possible to use excel like a CRM software? Currently i am using excel to store my customer list, requests and enqueries. I would like to extract data from those information such as by company, location, and status. What would be the best way to implement this? Is there any guide to do this? Thanks in advance Regards, MY How about use of Autofilter & Advanced Filter? MVP Debra Dalgleish has some nice illustrations at: http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Check out the relevant links on her home page -- hth Max ----------------------------------------- Please reply in n...

column charts on two axis
I am trying to show a column chart on 2 axis. I have chosen the combination line and column chart to get the 2 axis but when I change the line to a second column it puts the columns over the top of the first axis columns. How do I get them to be side by side? Have a look at: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3800842-2343-4319-8496-4D8CAC0DABFF@microsoft.com... >I am trying to show a column chart on 2 axi...

Matching cells #3
Here's my spreadsheet: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 6 4 5 10 5 8 11 6 9 7 10 8 9 10 11 12 13 How do I get the matching numbers on the same rows, like: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 8 8 9 9 10 10 10 11 11 12 13 13 I would just re-create the columns. 1. Copy column A into D. 2. In E1 put: =IF(COUNTIF(B:B,$A1),$A1,"") 3. Copy it over to F1 and then down as far as needed. 4. Select columns D thru F, copy them, and go to Edit > Paste Special > Value. Press OK. 5. Delete column A thru C. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA &g...

MDI app with different CFrameWnd, searching one
Hello NG, in my MDI application, I use several different CChildFrame windows with its CDocument and CView. CPersonFrame* mit CPersonDoc und CPersonView CAdressesFrame* mit CAdressesDoc und CAdressesView CPreferencesFrame* mit CPreferencesDoc und CPreferencesView The PreferencesFrame and AdressesFrame should be opened only once at a time in my programme. The PersonFrame is a single window concerning each person in the AdressesFrame. Now I want to open a special window in my application menu. If it's already opened, it should appear in front. So I first look for the child window if it is...

deduplicate data in excel
How do I deduplicate data in Excel. I have a large database of names and addresses which I want to check to duplication You may want to read some of Chip Pearson's techniques for dealing with duplicates: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Julie Melbourne wrote: > > How do I deduplicate data in Excel. I have a large database of names and > addresses which I want to check to duplication -- Dave Peterson Thanks Dave I have looked at this site, but cannot get the formula to work? Must be doing something wrong. Have you tried it? Do you have a working spreadsheet wtih...

Move data to right with variable rows
I have a large spreadsheet with corrupted data. I can identify several types of bad data and have correct the data in these rows but one particluar type is giving me problems. Because the spreadsheet is large I used filtering and visible cell commands to correct blocks of data. This seems to work fine but one type is still not working so I am trying a row by row logic search. In this case the bad data needs to move from cell column B to C with the range through L. So any data in the range B through L in the selected row is copied if the contents of L ="N". A cel...

Word versions differences
What are the main differences between Word versions 2000, 2002, and 2003? I'm looking for any kind of info, but a chart would be great! You might look at "Description of new features in Word 2002" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288725 and at "What's New in Office 2003?" at http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/1066/1092133/html/na_index.html and similar articles. You can also look at "What's new?" in the Help file for each application. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http:/...

Lookup Formula: Return 1st match, then 2nd match, then 3rd match
I have a spreadsheet that looks like the following. Tab 1. Col A=Name. Col B = Task. A B Bob Reconcile Cash Tim Do Sales Report Bob Create presentation Tim Prepare financial statements Bob Hire staff person Now on tab two, I want to create another list that pulls all the tasks together by person. For example, Tab 2 would look like this: Bob Reconcile Cash Bob Create presentation Bob Hire staff person Tim Do Sales Report Tim Prepare financial statement. I realize I can just sor...

Can I have each series be a different field in a Pivot Chart?
I'd like to create a stacked column chart using a Pivot Chart. But each of the series that I'd like to stack are in different field (columns) in my source data. Is it possible to do this? I can't rearrange the source data, because then I'll exceed Excel's 64K row limitation. I am quite sure you can do it, but need more info about your set up before I will be aboe to give any recommendations Where is the data for each series? "tyson12" wrote: > I'd like to create a stacked column chart using a Pivot Chart. But each of > the series that I'd...

Cannot edit an imported Access table
I just imported data from an excel table into an access 2002 database. I cannot, however, edit the table (ie. delete a record, add a primary key, etc.) Why? Carl, Did you 'link' the data or import it from an Excelfile. What steps did you take.. -- Maurice Ausum "Carl Gross" wrote: > I just imported data from an excel table into an access 2002 database. I > cannot, however, edit the table (ie. delete a record, add a primary key, > etc.) > > Why? I imported it. I tried importing direct from a Paradox table. I also tried exporting the Paradox ta...

Many to Many Data Integrity (Alway confuse myself)
OK, thanks in advance. I always screw this up so here it goes: Three tables: Line, Part, LinetoPart I could set these tables up differently, but Part A can be ran on Line1, 2, or 3. LinetoParts has autonumber pkLinetoPart, fkLine, and fkPart. So how do I keep the many table from duplicating say an entry stating that Part A to Line 1? Am I missing the boat here? In the LinetoParts pkParts can duplicate and pkLine can duplicate, but I don't want a duplicate record with the same pkPart and pkLine. *Relationship Algebra why do you plague me so?* At the nuts and bolts level, wh...

Multiple Record(12 Entries) Into Table w/ Form
I am attempting to send more than one record with one form to the table and I can't seem to get INSERT ... VALUES to enter records separately and the text boxes have different names but the same Control Source so when i change the number all the fields update with the same number when i want each field to have different numbers... You help is very appreciated Hi Graffyn, The method of using insert and values to add data to a table works very well to do one record as you have found. To update several records at a time instead of the values part of the query, you need a select query t...

Index Match Functions
Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? ...

How do I import large data files?
When I try to import a data file with more rows than Excel, the text box says I can import the rest by re-importing the file and excluding the lines already imported. The Import Wizard doesn't seem to give me this option... suggestions? Hi Russell Maybe http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q120596 XL: Importing Text Files Larger Than ???? Rows -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Russell Seguin" <Russell Seguin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:184036AB-8922-4EAA-85B6-05FAB3E577F5@microsoft.com... > When I try to...

Not matching transactions
I have it set to not automatically do anything. I've tried resetting the account quite a few times with the help of technicians, but it's too long and involved, and I'm tired of rebalancing the account every time. I have 3 accounts, 1 works without passport and does fine. One of the others I can manually download from the web site, and have no problems doing it like so and decided this is the best way, prior tries it wouldn't work with passport. But the other still insists they are new transactions, and I can't download from their site directly. They only allow...

Extract X data from Chart
I have looked through the information provided by this group for chart events, and I have a good code to get the embedded chart to show the message box with the point information. (Thanks Jon Peltier) What I would like to do now is to extract that X data and paste it into another area of the workbook to run some other analysis. Is there some way to have the X value be copied into another cell on another sheet? I am using this code in a MouseUp event: Dim ElementID As Long, Arg1 As Long, Arg2 As Long Dim myX As Variant, myY As Double With ActiveChart ' Pass x & ...

refresh external data on a protected sheet
I have a worksheet that has an external data area and some other sections that need to be protected. I have unlocked all the columns used by the external data. When I protect the sheet, I can no longer refresh the external data area. Even if the entire worksheet is unlocked, the Refresh button is unavailable. ...

Scatter with Dynamic (Array) Data
Hi, I'm trying to create a scatter plot using Array's instead of using Cell's in a worksheet but can't seem to get it to work. Here's what I'd LIKE to be able to do but it keeps bombing. Any ideas? JS ======= Sub simple_array_table() Dim myXvalues(1#, 2#, 3#) As Double Dim myYvalues(4, 2, 4) As Double Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlXYScatter ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).xvalues = myXvalues ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Values = myYvalues End Sub I figured out the problem. Or, more correctly stated, I figured out a way aroun...

Data Validation/Fill question
I have a cell in my workbook that I would like to have filled from a dropdown list. The possible option number about 30 so a "Data Validation" would be unwieldly unless I could nest it, as the possibilities fall into 3 to 4 catagories. Is there a way to do this? I thought about a combo box, but I want the same dropdown to be usable by approx. 120 cells. Is there a macro that could be done in wich I select the cell and then a pop-up window will allow the fill, or some way around this? I am using Excel 97. I think this might be a good place to start: http://www.contextur...

Error message regarding updating american express data
When updating my accounts online I receive a message indicating there was an error downloading from american express. It indicates the account may be closed or the number may have changed. Neither is the case, and the update completes and downloads the data from american express correctly. Any suggestions on eliminating the message? AMEX has been having problems for the last two days and I can't even sign on to the AMEX website this morning to THAT get that message today. It appears to be an AMEX problem based on the message on their website yesterday. -- PlsHelpMScan't ...

Pivot Tables
I have a pivot table with customers orders updated every week. The thing is that as I just update the information every week, the combo boxes of the pivot table retain all the clients I ever showed (over 2000), even though most of them are not used. Is there a way of cleaning up this combo list other than creating a new pivot table? Many Thanks, from Argentina, Nacho There's information here on clearing old items in a pivot table: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html Nacho wrote: > I have a pivot table with customers orders updated every week. The thing is > that ...

Excel pivot tables using Access as the data source
I can successfully create the link between my Excel pivot tables to my Access data base, however Excel will only look for the data in the specific path in which it was created. How can I have my pivot table find and read the Access data even if I move the Access file to another directory This mainly causes me problems when I distribute my Excel reports. I bundle the Access database with the Excel report but my instruction to the receiver must instruct them to create a specifically named folder under the C drive and store both the Excel pivot table and Access database otherwise the Excel p...