Make Cell Perfectly Square

How do you make a Cell perfectly square? As you probably know, the Row Height and Column Widths are measured in different units...or, maybe the same units but 1 unit is not the same for both. Is there some sort of ratio that can be used to make a cell perfectly square? I read somewhere that it is 16:2 (height to width), but that doesn't look right to me...unless I'm doing the calculation wrong. If this is indeed the right ratio, could someone provide me with an example of how to calculate this? If this isn't the correct ratio...or there's some other way to make the cell perfectly square...please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!
0
anonymous (74722)

J-Man

Couldn't you just use the drawing toolbar to create a square and use that
for reference?

Andy.

"J-Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you make a Cell perfectly square? As you probably know, the Row
Height and Column Widths are measured in different units...or, maybe the
same units but 1 unit is not the same for both. Is there some sort of ratio
that can be used to make a cell perfectly square? I read somewhere that it
is 16:2 (height to width), but that doesn't look right to me...unless I'm
doing the calculation wrong. If this is indeed the right ratio, could
someone provide me with an example of how to calculate this? If this isn't
the correct ratio...or there's some other way to make the cell perfectly
square...please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!

0
andyb1 (494)
1/14/2004 4:51:21 PM
The H:V ratio works out to 1:5.4

I can't use the drawing tool as a "template" for a square because the cells are dimensioned via a macro...so, I don't know exactly what the sizes of the cells will be. However, I guess I could use the drawing tool to determine the ratio!!! Thanks, I'll give that a shot

Does anyone know this ratio right off hand?
0
anonymous (74722)
1/14/2004 5:11:20 PM
Wouldn't the 'squareness' depend on the monitor resolution being used?  I
created a square using the drawing toolbar and then changed my monitor
resolution (normally at 1280 x 1024) to 1280 x 768.

The square no longer 'looked' square.  I believe the ratios (height to
width) would change depending on the resolution.

Just something to consider if you're developing a worksheet for use other
than on your own machine.

HTH,
Steve

"J-Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you make a Cell perfectly square? As you probably know, the Row
Height and Column Widths are measured in different units...or, maybe the
same units but 1 unit is not the same for both. Is there some sort of ratio
that can be used to make a cell perfectly square? I read somewhere that it
is 16:2 (height to width), but that doesn't look right to me...unless I'm
doing the calculation wrong. If this is indeed the right ratio, could
someone provide me with an example of how to calculate this? If this isn't
the correct ratio...or there's some other way to make the cell perfectly
square...please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!

Just an FYI (this is what I was looking for, actually):

If you set Rows.RowHeight = Columns.Width, you will have perfect squares.

I was attempting to use Columns.ColumnWidth, which involves the font size you are using...but, Columns.Width returns "points" which is what Rows.RowHeight is!!

Hope this helps others. Thanks all!!!
0
anonymous (74722)

Make Default

Automatically update cells in worksheets
Excel newbie here hoping someone can point me in the right direction... Have a workbook that contains 3 worksheets... ws1: Is a work detail list I enter the date and unique ID no. and Company Name. ws2: Contains a list of the first 30 Companies I have to visit each month, and contains all the Company details such as address, tel no, ID no., ws3: Contains a full list of all Companies within the area I'm working that month, including the initial 30 dealers. Now what I'm trying to do is when I enter the Company Name in ws1 it will automatically update Format conditions in ws2 and 3.....

Fill the below blank cells
Hi, I just copied an pivot data and pasted it in different Sheet. I needed to fill the cells that was blank with the data above each set of blank cells.. Day VendorName VehicleType VehicleNo StartTime 1 ATL B 1246 18:00 22:38 1558 12:30 1815 4:27 6:00 7:00 7:30 12:55 7915 16:00 20:30 22:30 8037 1:00 5:30 7:00 9583 0:00 3:45 I can solve this by dragging the data down but I have do it at least 4000 times... Is there any formula to this...?! Thanks in advance Vinod Highlight the columns A to E by clicking ...

if i select a cell then i want row containing that cell selected
i want to copy all rows that contain a cell with certain value. Do a Data > Filter > Autofilter on the key col, filter out that certain value, then copy the filtered rows, and paste special as values/formats elsewhere as required -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Maaz" wrote: > i want to copy all rows that contain a cell with certain value. ...

leave a cell blank
My spreadsheet serves 2 purposes. Printed and manually filled out plus data entry. The cells with formulas show a 0 (zero) if the referenced cells are empty. The problem is the user has the option to ignore the formula and hard code a figure. If a formula = 0, is there a way to hide that zero so when I print the form it's blank for the user? thanks! You could turn off viewing zeros at Tools>Options>View. Or you could trap for the 0 and leave cell looking blank. =IF(A1*B1=0,"",A1*B1) If you are interested in keeping the user from over-writing a formula, see hel...

making a transfer show up in the budget

Excel automatically changes the formatting of the cell to "Time"
Hello, I have a long column of numbers [dates in the YY:DD format]. I wanted to replace ":61" to ":59". Even though the cells are initially formatted as Text, as soon as I make the change, Excel changes the formatting to Time, and the cell with the change now has text ":59:00" in it. Is it possible to force Excel to keep the cells formatted as Text? Thank you! Sam, If the cells are truly formatted as text (Format - Cells - Number - Text), the formatting should never change, and you should always see exactly what you've typed. Give us an example...

Formattinb cells
Hi Is it possible to change the background color of a column of cells depending on the value of the cell at the top of the column. I have written a macro to do this but can't find a statement to do this: worksheets(:Sheet1").cells(cl,rw).backcolor = QBColor(14) Error message method not supported and nowhere in the help can I find an answer. Suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Charles Why not just use format>formula is>conditional formatting =a2=$a$1 and format as desired>copy format using format painter. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com...

Macro/keyboard shortcut to increment a cell value
I would like to set up a keyboard shortcut (e.g., Ctrl+I) that would increment the value of the selected cell by 1. Can someone get me started by pointing me in the right direction? I have some experience creating simple macros in Word, if that is what's needed. Thanks -- PC: HP Omnibook 6000 OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/03/04) One way is to make a macro and assign the shortcut key to it: Option Explicit Sub AddOneToActiveCell() With ActiveCell If IsNumeric(.Value) Then .Value = .Val...

How do you change cells with formula's to the value or text?
In lotus it is possible to change the formula in a cell to the text or the number that that formula returns. Of course, you can not reverse it, but in is very helpful sometimes. Is that possible in Excel CTRL + ~ will toggle between formulas and values -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------------...

same numer/character at beginning of cells in row
I have to make a worksheet of products. I can copy the part numbers but need to have all the part numbers preceded by "2M" no quotation marks. example: starting number looks like this "el000c" need to have it look like this "3Bel000c". The information is being copied from several other sheets via cut and paste. Is it possible to paste the "el000c" number with the 3B already there and staying after pasting several cells at once? Thanks in advance regardless of the answer. Do you want to precede with "2M" or "3B"? Or is i...

making tickets

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

formula in cells
I'm going to try and explain this a little better and give you the actual cells that I am trying to calculate: I have net pay in cell B8, withdraws in cell C8 and the Balance in D8. I would like row D to add B, subtract C and display the balance. So when I put in the next paycheck on B9, D9 will reflect the amount from D8, add to it B9, subtract C9 if a value is there and display the balance in D9. I would like the cells in Column D for the last value entered to be blank until data is entered into them and not display the last balance the whole way down the spread sheet. Does this...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Text editing in a cell
How do I insert a line break within a cell when I am writing a line of text?? - when I press enter I go to the next cell!! Help Hi Barbara ALT+ENTER will do -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Barbara wrote: > How do I insert a line break within a cell when I am writing a line > of text?? - when I press enter I go to the next cell!! Help ...

Make Personal Calendar Read Only

How do I remove a hidden space in Excel cells
Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem... I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes). I am pulling my data (name, address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created. In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps. I use the Address Block for the delivery address. However, when it pulls the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by one space. No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change doesn't take place. I've checked all the tabs as...

If all cells in a range are N/A, then N/A?
HI folks, thanks for the wonderful resource here. I've found a lot of answers but I had to ask this one ... I'm working on a spreadsheet that tallies if certain criteria have been met. Range N15:N31 has three possible answers Y, N or N/A In cell N32, I tally all the possible answers =COUNTIF(N15:N31,"Y")+COUNTIF(N15:N31,"N") In Cell N33 I tally the percentage of answers that are Y =COUNTIF(N15:N31,"Y")/N32 In Cell N33 I tally the percentage of answers that are N =COUNTIF(N15:N31,"N")/N32 ISSUE I've run into the situation of having &quo...