Maintain 1 List... Twice

Good afternoon all,

Just wondering if this is possible. I started maintaining a list of
what files we kept archived at a storage facility, based on a list that
was on paper. I finally got all the boxes typed in, resulting in a list
which has all the files in each box, grouped by what box they are in.

However, for the sake of searching these files, it's best if I have
them alphabetically as well.

My solution was to make a copy of the "List" called "Alpha". Alpha
contains the list, sorted by surname. Every time I catalogue a new box,
I copy it into "Alpha" and resort.

The thing is, that's not very good data management. I could forget,
things could go astray, and well, I've got 2 copies of the same data
going.

So, my question is, how would I make a second sheet (I want "List" to
remain the same, because it shows chronologically when a box was typed
up) that simply references "List", but doesnt actually contain it's
data, so that it can be sorted.

Some thoughts come to mind. Pivot Table? (I know of them, but not much
on how to do them.) Some form of query?

Thanks for your help,

-Bob

---

A couple points I forgot to mention.

There are 7000+ files listed, if that makes a difference, and the VBA
code I have running on "List" has to be able to work on "Alpha" (That
is, the data must be listed in the same format, just different order.)

The format is.

Box Number | Contents | Destroy | DOL
C5503427152 | Venables, KS 2067/02 | 2007 | 2002
Etc etc

What happens is, the user has a button "ReQuest" which copies whatever
data you have highlighted onto a fax. This button works whether you are
looking at the sort by Box, or the sort by Alpha. That functionality
has to stay in place.

Thanks for your help,

-Bob

---

Hi
and why not just sort the source list according to your needs?
I wouldn't make two separate lists!

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Good afternoon all,
>
> Just wondering if this is possible. I started maintaining a list of
> what files we kept archived at a storage facility, based on a list
> that was on paper. I finally got all the boxes typed in, resulting in
> a list which has all the files in each box, grouped by what box they
> are in.
>
> However, for the sake of searching these files, it's best if I have
> them alphabetically as well.
>
> My solution was to make a copy of the "List" called "Alpha". Alpha
> contains the list, sorted by surname. Every time I catalogue a new
> box, I copy it into "Alpha" and resort.
>
> The thing is, that's not very good data management. I could forget,
> things could go astray, and well, I've got 2 copies of the same data
> going.
>
> So, my question is, how would I make a second sheet (I want "List" to
> remain the same, because it shows chronologically when a box was
typed
> up) that simply references "List", but doesnt actually contain it's
> data, so that it can be sorted.
>
> Some thoughts come to mind. Pivot Table? (I know of them, but not
much
> on how to do them.) Some form of query?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> -Bob
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/31/2004 9:23:13 AM
Because the majority of the users of this list wouldn't know how t
change sorts, etc, and there's an extremely high chance that one o
them might sort only 1 column, instead of all 4. So, to make it easie
on those who need the faxes, I made 2 seperate lists.

-

Ah, of course. The other reason which I forgot to mention.

If I do a sort by box number, it sorts by box barcode, not by when th
box was typed into the list.

"List" needs to be kept in the order that it was entered in (ie
unsorted), not by what the barcode number actually is.

-

you could just make a column of integers down one side that counted u
one for each entry.  Then when you put in another one just keep th
index going.  Sort by the index to get the order you desire.  Sort b
something else if you need to.  Another solution is just put the dat
that the user will be touching in Access.  Link it to the data i
excel.  Access has really simply sorting and you can prevent them fro
tampering with the data that way

ERROR UPDATING TO 12.1.1
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. error message when i apply 12.1.1 update to 12.1.0 student/teacher edition. "kmitche@officeformac.com" wrote: > You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.1 Update on this volume. A version of the > software required to install this update was not found on this volume. > > error message when i apply 12.1.1 update to 12.1.0 student/teacher edition. See Ent...

Find all from a list
I have data that I past into a spread sheet that I download daily of over 1000 rows with names and data columns. I have a list of 15 people listed on this list that I need to find their records, delete the others and end up with only those 15 peoples data. What is the best way for me to accomplish this. Hi You can try this one with the names in column A Enter all names in the array Array("jelle", "ron", "dave") you can also make a list on a worksheet if you want Sub Example2() Dim Lrow As Long Dim CalcMode As Long Dim StartRow As Long D...

How do I email from a list I have in Microsoft XL?
I have an email list from work that on a disk. How do I send out the email newsletter that I produce? I hope it's not spam http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Caremanager" <Caremanager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41E9D680-CEAE-4A35-A49F-1DF614DF7A95@microsoft.com... >I have an email list from work that on a disk. How do I send out the email > newsletter that I produce? Thank You Peo. I am going to the office now to give it a try. Don't worry it is not spam. "Caremanager" wrote: > I hav...

CRM 1.2 Questions
We have just upgraded CRM and I am receiving Platform errors in the event viewer. How can I obtain a backup of all the data in SQL and Import that data into an access database as a backup precaution if I had a Hardware failure? I am also receiving an error when trying to reassign a lead in CRM to another user. The user trying to reassign the lead is not the owner but uses a Pro license with all the permissions to perform the task. You cannot import the data from sql into access. you need to keep backups of the 4 crm databases+master+msdb you could do nightly full backups then do ...

Using Powershell to automate the importing of product lists from affiliate networks
I have been working on a few scripts to automate the creation of a product list that is assembled from multiple affiliate networks. Using Joomla, Virtuemart, CSVI, and Powershell, it seems I finally have been able to git 'r done. The product site, www.findpetproducts.com, has 60,000 products that were all auto-imported thanks to powershell. So, my question is this... Has anyone else done something similar using powershell? I just can't stop finding the ridiculous number of uses for the best scripting shell I have used. I am going to post snippets of these scripts on my blo...

removing more than 1 items from the STL set
Hi all, I have a set which contains a bunch of ip address. Now my application tries to connect to that ip address and if the connection fails then it removes that ip address from the set("stale ip")......Now how do i achieve this??? Here is the loop set<CString>::iterator itr = remotenodeip.begin(); while(itr != remotenodeip.end()) { CString ip_addr = *itr; CString result = PeerLookup(ip_addr); if(result.Compare("Error")==0) { //Remove that ip address from the set } itr++; } Now i dont understand how do i remove the ip a...

Install and Config Exam
Anyone know what the difference is? I've taken 1.0 already and failed. Is 1.2 any easier - or better yet, are the questions a bit more sensible and relevant than the ones in 1.0? TIA The questions are basically the same between the versions. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 6 May 2004 11:00:04 +0100, "nordberg_73" <nordberg_73@nospamme.hotmail.com> wrote: Anyone know what the difference is? I've taken 1.0 already and failed. Is 1.2 any easier - or better yet, are the questions a bit more sensible...

Creating a list of cell values
Hi All I have three cells: A1 with the value of 1 A2 with the value of 2 A3 with the value of 3. I would like A4 to read 1,2,3. Is there an easy way to do this in Excel? I though it may be a list but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also tried =A1, =A2, =A3, but that produced nada. Any help apprciated! Cheers, Link. Maybe you mean concatenation: Enter in A4: =A1 & "," & A2 & "," & A3 Regards, Stefi „Link” ezt írta: > Hi All > > I have three cells: > > A1 with the value of 1 > A2 with the value of 2 > A3 with t...

Dynamic "Numbered List"
How Can I update my numbered list (S.No) after Filtering the list? Like: 1. A 2. B 3. C 4. D After filter..... 1. A 2. B 3. D [C Filtered] Any Idea to get the result. Regards, Murtaza hi, Murtaza ! > ... update my numbered list (S.No) after Filtering the list? > Like: > 1. A > 2. B > 3. C > 4. D > After filter..... > 1. A > 2. B > 3. D [C Filtered] assuming [B2] as the first cell [in filtered-column]... try with subtotal-offset approach [by Laurent Longre] and copy-down... a) array-entered: {ctrl}+...

CDF Data Migration Framework Issue with CRM 1.2
Hello, I am trying to use Data Migration Framework 1 (This is the only Data Migraton Framework Available) with Microsoft CRM 2.0 but its not working. When i run the Migration tool it executes fastly without doing anything and genrates a log file with a message "The version of the CDF database you are attempting to use does not match the version of Microsoft CRM ". Does anybody know the source(URL) of new version of Data Migration framework(Tool)? Thanks There's a 1.2 DMF that comes with CRM 1.2. I have it installed and it seems to work fine with CRM 1.2. -- Brando...

Sockets: recv=-1 BUT WSAGetLastError=0 (??)
Hi everyone! Something weird is happening with an application of mine: It works OK on any computer but on one (I have nearly one hundred installations made, up and running). The computer on which it is not running is: WinXP professional 2002 SP2 on AMD Athlon64 Mainly my app is a TCP server. Each client has a listening thread with a loop and a call to the platform SDK Windows sockets blocking (synchronous) "recv" function (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740121.aspx) -code below. According to MS documentation when function "recv" returns SOCKET_ERROR (-1)...

CADEX 23 Gauge Slight Headed Brad Nails, 1-9/16" x 4000 pk
Price:$26.99 Image: http://thediscountguru.info/image.php?id=B000P0Y7K4 Best deal: http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B000P0Y7K4 23 gauge brads are a new addition to the fine finishing market place, and fill the gap between the 23 gauge fine wire pins and an 18 gauge brad. They offer significantly more holding power than the straight pin, but the head is still a fraction the size of an 18 gauge brad. This is ideal in situations where greater holding power is required than is provided by the straight pins, but still require the minimal marking in the wood being fastened. Please no...

12.1.1 Updare
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Do you have to install SP1 in order to install the latest update? I re-installed office + 1st update but did not install SP1 after all the problems. None of the 'fix' suggestions worked for me. "mortfe@officeformac.com" wrote: > > Do you have to install SP1 in order to install the latest update? I > re-installed office + 1st update but did not install SP1 after all the > problems. None of the 'fix' suggestions worked for me. Yes, it's a requirement for 12.1.1. -- Diane ...

Dependent List in Control Combo-Box
Can any body tell me that is it possible to create dependent lists i Combo-boxes ? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Abdul Yes this is possible, here's a sample code with combined combo boxes from the Control tools box. Make sure you have your first list of values in column 1 and other dependant values in the adjacent columns Place code on your first combo(please note no headers used in the data lists): Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() MajListes Me.ComboBox2, ComboBox1.ListIndex End Sub Private Sub MajListes(Cbbx As MSForms.ComboBox, ValeurIndx As Integer) Const P...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=24=24=A1=A1_Tu_banco_te_paga_un_5=25_anual=3F_Gane_18=25_Mensua?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?l_M=EDnimo_en_Forex_Macro_comenzando_HOY=2E?=
Que es Forex Macro y como se beneficia usted? Forex Macro es un sistema de inversi=F3n al cual no hay que dedicarle 8 horas diarias. (Yo le dedico 1 hora!) Es un sistema de inversi=F3n que lo ayudar=E1 a renunciar a su trabajo para siempre, a mediano plazo. Es un sistema de inversi=F3n que lo ayudar=E1 a lograr todos sus objetivos incluyendo comprar todos los lujos con los cu=E1les siempre ha so=F1ado. Es un sistema en el cual no se necesita una gran inversi=F3n para iniciar. (Se puede desde los $50). Existe un gran n=FAmero de personas que ya han tomado ventaja de este mecanismo con resu...

Address Lists #8
I have created a custom address list in the exchange system manager. But when i am using the client.. sometimes it will show..and othertimes its gone... its very random. has anyone run across this problem?.. also is there a way to only display the adress books that i want... we don't use global list..but its the default one. i would like it not to be an option. Well thanks for any help Chris Which client? Might you be seeing a different GAL because you're sometimes online and sometimes offline? If so, then your offline address book might be out of date because it's no...

Upgrade 10.1.9
I am currently running Office 2004 10.1.9 and want to install all missing updates. Which one do I install next and where can I find it?<br> <br> Thanks! Well, Office 2004 is version 11, so you can't be running Office 2004 10.1.9. Office X was version 10. In any app in Office 2004, run Help | Check for Updates. If you are running Office X, then I believe 10.1.9 is the latest version. To go to a new version, you would need to purchase either Office 2004 or Office 2008. ileneruv@officeformac.com wrote: > I am currently running Office 2004 10.1.9 and want to install all ...

Wrong icon order in Folder List
Hello. We're using Outlook 2000 here at work, and one user's installation of Outlook is displaying her Folder List icons in the wrong order, and we can't seem to change this. By default, she'd like to have her Outlook Today icon (containing subtrees of her Inbox, Sent Items, etc.) at the top...and the other icons (Personal Folders and Public Folders) underneath Outlook today in the Folder List. But the Folder List insists on displaying the icons in this order: Public Folders, Personal Folders, Outlook Today. Does anyone know if there's a way to change this order/b...

upgrade issue: compile error after upgrade from VC7.1 to VC8, may related with import msado15.dll or cdosys.dll
When I upgrade an exe project from VC7.1 to VC8, it says upgrade succeed. But When I try to compile the project, it outputs a lot of errors. c:\dev\main\shared\impress\debugu\msado15.tlh(1024) : error C2327: 'CDO::_ADO::Properties' : is not a type name, static, or enumerator c:\dev\main\shared\impress\debugu\msado15.tlh(2086) : error C2327: 'CDO::Command15::Parameters' : is not a type name, static, or enumerator c:\dev\main\shared\impress\debugu\msado15.tlh(2285) : error C2327: 'CDO::Connection15::Errors' : is not a type name, static, or enumerator c:\dev\main\shared\...

How do I maintain formatting?
I'm using Word 2K and when I save as a .txt file all formatting is lost. I use a Text to HTML converter prior to uploading to a website. How do I go about preserving the formatting so that the web doc looks like the one I created in Word? Best regards, -- VHH III Txt is plain text and that does not support formatting. Html does support formatting, but its requirements are entirely different from those of a Word document and so there is little correlation between the two. You can view what the Word document will look like in html by using the Web view. -- <>&...

Superscript of 1 number changes line height--losing top of charac.
In Excel 2003, as I enter items that require a subscript, and make that change to the character, the typed information jumps about 1/2 line and I lose the top of the characters in that line. The actual line spacing does not change; however, the location of the type within the line jumps. Format the row to AutoHeight to accomodate changes in cell content. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:51:03 -0700, A T <A T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel 2003, as I enter items that require a subscript, and make that >change to the character, the typed informatio...

Remove USB 1.1 from Computer !!
I have purchased a USB 2.0 upgrade when it arrives is it advised to remove my 4 port 1.1 card and put upgrade in that slot. Will this benefit the PC power wise or boot up process being slowed with two cards in ! Regards Roger Roger wrote: > I have purchased a USB 2.0 upgrade when it arrives is it advised to remove > my 4 port 1.1 card and put upgrade in that slot. Will this benefit the PC > power wise or boot up process being slowed with two cards in ! > Regards Roger > If you haven't used the interface on that USB 1.1 card for some time, then removin...

How to prevent users changing details in Contacts List
Hi All, After entering the contact details in the contact form, How to preven users from changing the details through the Conacts List ?? We have customised the contact form for not entering the non-codepag 1252 characters into the form. But, there is a possibility that use may do the trick by entering the non-codepage 1252 characters into th contact details through contacts list by clicking on a particula record with the help of a mouse and directly editing there. As per our requirement, the contact details shall be synchronised t Siebel through Exchange Server. Please suggest me how to av...

sorting through a dropdown list by letter
is there a way to set up an in-cell dropdown list so that when the use selects a letter on the keyboard, the list jumps to the first list ite that starts with the selected letter -- mmay32 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mmay321's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2549 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38939 This is not built in to excel, have a look here for a workaround http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something n...

Excel 97 trying to open twice
When I open an excel document in Word 97, it always opens the file, then tells me it can't open it because there is already a file by that name open. It appears to be trying to open the same file twice. Anyone know how to solve this? Larry First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel...