Mail Merge from an Excel Worksheet problem

Hi! When I try to mail merge from an Excel Worksheet of about 100 addresses, Word somehow includes the empty rows in the worksheet where there is not info. there. I ended up have a 6xx pages long merge, not a 100 pages one. Is there a way in Excel to solve this problem

Also, after I enter data for the last column of an entry, how can I make the current cell (the one that being modified or selected, am I using the right term?) jump to the first column of the next row with just hitting the "->" key

Thanks for any idea. :)
0
anonymous (74722)

New,

There's a query capability built into Word's Mail Merge (in 2002, at
least -- don't know about 2000).  You could use that to have it include only
records with data in a certain column.

If the rows in the Excel list are totally empty, maybe you want to delete
them, consolidating the list.  I think there's code to do that at
www.cpearson.com.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"newbie_D" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! When I try to mail merge from an Excel Worksheet of about 100
addresses, Word somehow includes the empty rows in the worksheet where there
is not info. there. I ended up have a 6xx pages long merge, not a 100 pages
one. Is there a way in Excel to solve this problem?

> Also, after I enter data for the last column of an entry, how can I make
the current cell (the one that being modified or selected, am I using the
right term?) jump to the first column of the next row with just hitting the
"->" key?

> Thanks for any idea. :)

0
nowhere1083 (630)
4/9/2004 2:26:02 AM
Earl Kiosterud wrote:
> New,
>
> There's a query capability built into Word's Mail Merge (in 2002, at
> least -- don't know about 2000).  You could use that to have it
> include only records with data in a certain column.
>
> If the rows in the Excel list are totally empty, maybe you want to
> delete them, consolidating the list.  I think there's code to do that
> at www.cpearson.com.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows

0
frank.kabel (11126)
4/9/2004 8:20:45 AM
for Part 2 of your question  involving navigation within a worksheet,
:
>   Also, after I enter data for the last column of an entry, how can I make
>   the current cell (the one that being modified or selected, am I using the
>   right term?) jump to the first column of the next row
>   with just hitting the "->" key?

You would unlock the cells in columns  A:F  for instance, leaving
G:IV  cells locked under   Tools --> cells -->Protection. then turn
on sheet protection   Tools --> protection  --> sheet
But you would have to use the  TAB key  not the  ArrowRt key.

Another way
would be to use an Event macro.  Please read the topic
not just the code.  Install by RClick on worksheet tab, insert code.
      Worksheet_SelectionChange to prevent entry past a column  (#ws_sc
          Worksheet Events and Workbook Events
          http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#ws_sc

   If Target.column < 4 then exit sub
   On error resume next  'MUST reenable events...
   Application.EnableEvents = False
   ActiveCell.Offset(1, 1 - Target.Column).Select
   Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Note use of any macro prevents you from using  UNDO (ctrl+z),
so you might take another look at worksheet protection and use
of the TAB key.

Sometimes putting two questions in the same posting helps, when
both questions are related and can be quickly answered.  Frequently
it works against you delaying your answers.   This one worked against you.
And it works against those who simply search newsgroups for answers
because the subject has nothing to do with this part of your question..
In fact the first part of your question doesn't really fit the subject either.

HTH,

"newbie_D" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
(see above)

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/9/2004 10:49:53 AM
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:56:03 -0700, "newbie_D"

>,;Hi! When I try to mail merge from an Excel Worksheet of about 100 addresses, Word somehow includes
>the empty rows in the worksheet where there is not info. there. I ended up have a 6xx pages long merge,
>not a 100 pages one. Is there a way in Excel to solve this problem?

Sort  the Excel worksheet. This will put all of the blank cells in one
place. Now when you use Mail Merge select the range that includes the
cells with data. You could delete the blank rows at this point unless
there is some reason you need them.
>,;
>,;Also, after I enter data for the last column of an entry, how can I make the current cell
>(the one that being modified or selected, am I using the right term?) jump to the first
>column of the next row with just hitting the "->" key?

What version of Excel? Mine (Excel 2000) does this if you hit the
"Enter" key at the end of a row. Also you could click on <Data> then
on <Form> and use this to enter data.

0
dwilkins (9)
4/9/2004 1:04:41 PM
Thanks for all the help, I will try them when I go back to office next week. :)
0
anonymous (74722)

Auto delete windows mail?
I'm using Windows mail with Vista. My junk folder has auto emptied twice in the last two months. I can't figure out why. Any help out there? -- marty "srmarty" <srmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D87CB396-6251-45C3-BC9A-DF77952EC095@microsoft.com... > I'm using Windows mail with Vista. My junk folder has auto emptied twice > in > the last two months. I can't figure out why. Any help out there? > -- > marty Tools>options>advanced tab>maintenance button. -- Regards Steve. MS-MVP. MAIL. ...

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Exchange update problem

docmd.transfertext problem

Excel 2007

SQL deadlock problem

worksheet tabs 01-06-10
Hi In the 2003 excel-- Is there a way to have the worksheet tabs automatically go in alphabetical order-- or do you have to do in manually? -- Thank-you! Ruth Ruth, Use this code: Sub ArrangeSheetsInOrder() Dim iCount As Integer Application.ScreenUpdating = False iCount = Sheets.Count For i = 1 To iCount - 1 For j = i + 1 To iCount If Sheets(j).Name < Sheets(i).Name Then Sheets(j).Move Before:=Sheets(i) End If Next j Next i End Sub "Ruth" wrote: > Hi > > In the 2003 excel-- Is there a way to have the worksheet tabs automatically ...

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Recieve Mail Before Sending

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

Mail lMerge

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Border problems

how do i change colour of scroll bar in worksheet
I find it very difficult to see the scroll bar in my excel workshhet as they are white, can they be changed to a colour and if so how ? Are the scrollbars white in other applications? In win98, I could change some display settings, but I couldn't change the scrollbar colors. But if the scrollbars aren't white in other applications, then this can't be the solution. Jayne wrote: > > I find it very difficult to see the scroll bar in my excel workshhet as they > are white, can they be changed to a colour and if so how ? -- Dave Peterson In word they are, but not on a...