Macro to show/hide detail in an outline

First post here, I hope someone can help!

I have a group outline on one of my sheets that has five separate
levels. I need to create buttons on the sheet to hide/show a greater or
lesser level of detail (i.e. clicking an "up" button will show one
additional level of detail in the outline, clicking the "down" will
hide one level).

I've tried using a spinner, which seemed like a suitable option. The
spinner was set to minimum 1, maximum 5, linking to cell S1. I then had
a simple code that ran when the spinner changed:

Spincount = Range("S1")
ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=Spincount

However, this often results in a runtime error, of "ShowLevels method
of Outline class failed".

If anyone knows why this isn't working, or can think of an alternative
method for what I'm trying to do? (Basically, the normal approach of
clicking on the 1-5 symbol, or the +/- symbols is not considered simple
enough for the users of my report).

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

--
NathanPage
NathanPage's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29472

I added outlining symbols to a test worksheet using data|subtotals.

I added a spinner from the forms toolbar to that same worksheet.  I rightclicked
on it and chose format control and set the min to 1 and the max to 5 and the
increment to 1.

I added this macro to a general module.

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
    Dim mySpinner As Spinner
    Set mySpinner = ActiveSheet.Spinners(Application.Caller)
    ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=mySpinner.Value
End Sub

I assigned the macro to that spinner and it worked ok for me.

NathanPage wrote:

> First post here, I hope someone can help!
>
> I have a group outline on one of my sheets that has five separate
> levels. I need to create buttons on the sheet to hide/show a greater or
> lesser level of detail (i.e. clicking an "up" button will show one
> additional level of detail in the outline, clicking the "down" will
> hide one level).
>
> I've tried using a spinner, which seemed like a suitable option. The
> spinner was set to minimum 1, maximum 5, linking to cell S1. I then had
> a simple code that ran when the spinner changed:
>
> Spincount = Range("S1")
> ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=Spincount
>
> However, this often results in a runtime error, of "ShowLevels method
> of Outline class failed".
>
> If anyone knows why this isn't working, or can think of an alternative
> method for what I'm trying to do? (Basically, the normal approach of
> clicking on the 1-5 symbol, or the +/- symbols is not considered simple
> enough for the users of my report).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nathan
>
> --
> NathanPage
> NathanPage's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29472
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491753

--

Dave Peterson
0

Macro warning with no macros

How can I share my calendar but keep details hidden?
In Outlook 2007 how can I share my calendar with others but conceal the detailed information of the meeting? Basically, only sharing the subject and location. What type of email account do you have? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Outlook do you u...

Macro

Macro

Importing Outlines
I am using a trial version of Publisher 2007. We have outlines which we want to import into publisher. They are originally done in WordPerfect X3 then saved as Word. When opened in Word the numbers and levels are present. When this file is imported into Publisher the numbers and letters are lost. Our old Publisher 2000 would bring them in if we copied and pasted, but not import file. This is an important feature so is there any way to get a two or three level outline into Publisher 2007 Try this: Import your Word document, click apply a template from the task pane (the blank te...

Run macro automatically.

Help with macro/and or formula?

Attached Toolbars Macros

Do not show negative numbers
I have this formula in cell S: =DAYS360(O235,R235). When O has a date and R does not it is giving me -38138. I do not want a negative number to appear, as this throws off the average days formula I have elsewhere. It may be a couple days before a date is added to R. What do I need to do? Maybe.... =IF(COUNT(O235,R235)=2,DAYS360(O235,R235),"") Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "roy.okinawa" <royokinawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:621F6A99-93A4-4A96-8607-3D5D1F0A4FD4@microsoft.com... > I have this formula in cell S: =DAYS360(O235,R...

Hiding negative numbers
I know how to format cells and customize under the number tab, but is there a way for when a formula returns a negative number for it to have the cell be blank or equal zero? Thank you. One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom General;;0;@ XL display formats have 4 fields. By default the first is for positive numbers, the second for negative numbers, the third for zero and the fourth for text. By leaving the negative number format blank, XL will not display negative numbers. In article <1535501c3fa4c$eccf8f70$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsof...

Protected sheets and running macros

IE7, Vista Business, very slow responese on showing some views
Hi, I have a strange problem - MSCRM 3.0 works fine on XP, but on Vista sometimes shows (in 50%) first 250 items and than IE7 freeze for 3-4 minutes. I can't do anything on that view and after that it works again. Other programs on that PC work without problem. It looks like that IE is waiting to server to send the final end. In meantime all other clients (XP) work flawless. Again, it is a brand new PC with all patches (I hope) and problem is only on Vista. Hi, I have the same problem, but with IE7 and XP! After showing first 250 (and then I tried also only 100) leads, accounts et...

Macro to remove rows?

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Calling on a macro within a macro!

shortcut keys to macros

Change default "Show names from the:" option
Clicking the "To:" button in a new Outlook email message brings up the "Select Names" dialog box. This dialog displays the contents of contact databases such as My Outlook Address Book and Global Address List. Is there a way to change the default database selected in the "Show names from the:" line from the current Global Address List to the contacts in my Outlook Address Book? My version of Outlook connects with an Exchange server to acces mail, contacts, etc. Thanks for any suggestions, Kerry You probably meant to post your Outlook version so we coul...

help Unable to record Macro !!!!!!!

Macro that password protects a sheet

Footer Macro?
Hi Months ago I read a Public Sub Macro that read the selection of a drop down list in a combo box and placed it in the center Footer at the same time it also placed the date in the right Footer and tme in the left footer. I have searched most of the regular sites including this one and cannot find it anywhere --- Can anyone help with my search. Any help much appreciated Cheers ---- Mully ...

Keyboard Shortcut in Macro
Hi all i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it to Ctrl+z how can i do it . regards Tools-->Macro-->Macros. Select (don't open!) your macro, and hit the Options button. :) ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "osaka78" <osaka78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1721A458-212D-4446-8209-494A459EE428@microsoft.com... > Hi all > i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it > to > Ctrl+z > how can i do it . > > regards THE MACRO IS NO...

Macros have been disabled but there is no macro
when I open a specific doc the info bar at the top says "Macros have been disabled", but when I hit Alt+F11 I can't find any VB or a module to remove. Why is it telling me about macros? Other docs don't give me this prompt. I thought I might have to enable macros to see the code. When I enabled macro, it said "do you want to save changes to this doc?" it flickered and came back as if immediately reopened. Any ideas? I could copy and paste the text into a new doc but I'd be interested to be able to strip off this problem. The doc is an internal IT ...

Run multiple Macros or macros from within other macros ?
I would like to run multiple macros at startup. What code should be used in the Private Sub Application_Startup command in the ThisOutlookSession area ? If the names of my macros were below what would the code to look like ? Macro1 Macro2 Macro3 I have looked at the samples from previous posts and cannot determine how to make them apply specifically to my needs. In Excel you can use the Run "Macro1" line and it would run that macro. Run does not work in Outlook I suppose because I kept getting an error. **** Also - What code is needed to execute a macro from w...

How to hide Excel session
I have an application to run Excel at the background and close Exce session after it exits. However, when application is running, Excel i popped up on the screen and easier for user to interfere the process s it is prone to user error. I'd like to know an approach to hide Excel session when running at th batch mode. Any suggestion is appreciated -- xiaoxsh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- xiaoxshi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3666 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid...

Startup macro
Is it possible for automatic start of macro in moment when excel file is opening. I mean when I open excel file specific macro will be immediately automatic started. Zeno option explicit sub auto_Open() call yourspecificmacronamehere end sub Zeno wrote: > > Is it possible for automatic start of macro in moment when excel file is > opening. > I mean when I open excel file specific macro will be immediately automatic > started. > > Zeno -- Dave Peterson ...