Mac & PC formats

When transferring an excel file from a Mac with Excel 2001
to a PC (XP) with Excel 2002, the width of the columns
appears smaller on the PC.  When looking at the actual
widths, they are comparable (9.67=9.71).  In the print
previews, the PC's table takes up less width on the page,
even when the page setup margins are equal.

Is there a way to fix this easily?

Thanks!
0
anonymous (74740)

Widths are set in units of the standard font's number characters. So a
larger standard font will create wider columns, and vice versa. This
would happen with two PCs or two Macs that had different standard fonts.

To make the widths the same, set the same font as standard
(Tools/Options/General for WinXL, Preferences/General for MacXL).

In article <153001c43db8$6f536670$3501280a@phx.gbl>,
 "SMPapers" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> When transferring an excel file from a Mac with Excel 2001
> to a PC (XP) with Excel 2002, the width of the columns
> appears smaller on the PC.  When looking at the actual
> widths, they are comparable (9.67=9.71).  In the print
> previews, the PC's table takes up less width on the page,
> even when the page setup margins are equal.
>
> Is there a way to fix this easily?
>
> Thanks!
0
jemcgimpsey (6725)

Currency formating problem #2
I am having trouble getting currency to format correctly. I cannot get the period to appear in us currency. I get $6 50 no matter what I try to change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003 with no change. I have also installed all of the available updates. Any thoughts? Hi, Jerry; This is just a guess but at "Start> Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Regional Options> Customize> Currency> Decimal symbol:" what do you see? Is there a decimal point in there? If not, does entering a decimal point, clicking OK, and restarting Excel fix i...

Switch to Mac?!
Dear all! I am seriously contemplating switching to Apple.... I usually hear screams of horror at this point, but given this is a Mac forum !... I have long been a Microsoft addict. I have the SPV phone, a Dell Axim, I have 3 pc desktops, 3 laptops- all running some form of Windows. I am even a Microsoft beta tester. BUT, I am sick of it. I want a change. One of my primary concerns about the switch is Office. I love office 2003 for the pc- BUT error messages are constant and outlook keeps crashing. I've looked on the Microsoft mactopia website and it all looks very good but of course...

change format language
how do i change language in programme from german to english. down loaded "lexmark quick books plus 2007" in german. can you change to english when you open programme....

Exponential number format

Outlook 2003 locks PC without using CPU resources
Outlook 2003, Win XP Pro, Cisco VPN connection over cable. This problem started a month or so ago. It does not occur with my laptop using the same software and connections, so I don't think it's a problem at the Exchange server. After Outlooks starts up the first time and downloads mail, the first time I try to open a message, my whole machine stalls or locks up. It can take up to 5 minutes before it resumes normal operation. Then I can read messages just fine. If I disconnect my vpn connection, as I must periodically, on reconnecting I sometimes get the lockup, sometimes not. When t...

Office for Mac apps "unexpectedly quit"
I am running Office X for Mac (2001 version) on my Powerbook G4 with OS X Tiger 10.4.11 I have never had any problems using my office suite until yesterday when I tried to open Word by clicking on the Word Icon in my Dock. It started to open and then a window came up saying "word has unexpectedly quit." I tried numerous times and each time got the same message. This also happens if I try to open Excel or Powerpoint. Interestingly, if I double click on an existing word, powerpoint or excel document the program opens with no problem. It just won't open by double clicking on the ap...

Sorting With Conditional Formats
I have a worksheet with approximately 50 rows of information. Each ro contains some cells with Conditional Formats. My problem is that when I sort the information, the conditional format remain with the cell, rather than the resorted information. Any hope out there for resorting and carrying the original cell conditional formats -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi conditional formats are attached to a cell and not to the value of this cell. So no chance that the format is transfered while sorting. There may be another solution if you provide us with the conditional fo...

2004 Mac Microsoft Excel: Lost corner! Can NOT shrink the window!! #3
I am new to Mac, so if anyone can tell me how to fix this problem I have, it will be appreciated. When I launch Excel, open an existing file by choosing 'open' under 'File' at toolbar, Excel opens up a window to show all the files, folders etc. from my computer HD and extermal HD etc. in one window with the tile 'Open: Microsoft Excel'. Somehow, this winow in my Excel program has corner push down out of screen. Therefore, I can not grab the corner to shrink the window to fit my computer screen. I barely see 'Cancel' and 'Open' icons at the bottom of the...

Text formatted as All Capitals?
In MSWord, formatting can easily be set so that selected text is always in capitals by Format>Fonts>All Caps. Can text in Excel be similarly formatted? =UPPER(A1) -- HTH Bob Phillips "Joey" <ianjoehenry@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d7k4lu$isd$1@news-02.connect.com.au... > In MSWord, formatting can easily be set so that selected text is always in > capitals by Format>Fonts>All Caps. > > Can text in Excel be similarly formatted? > > Use Upper function will be fine. However, if you want to apply to a large area of text and want to ch...

Upgrade Mac MSO v.X To Mac MSO 2004 To Mac MSO 2008
I own a G4 iMac 15-inch which runs 10.4.11. I plan to purchase an Intel iMac 24-inch soon. I am a registered user of MSO v.X. I wish to purchase the MSO 2004 upgrade at the discounted upgrade price which often sells for $203.99. Then I wish to upgrade MSO 2004 to MSO 2008 for the $6.99 upgrade price. Does my MSO v.X version qualify for the MSO 2004 upgrade price? Will the MSO 2004 installer recognize my MSO v.X installation as a qualifying upgradeable package? Is my MSO v.X to MSO 2008 upgrade path legitimate? On a sidebar, I plan to perform a fresh installation of MSO 2008 on the Inte...

Date format issue #2
Hi all, i have a station where the regional parameters show date as yy/MM/dd, ie : 05/07/18 When i open it on my station, where dates are shown like yyyy/MM/dd, i endup with 2018/07/05, which is obviously the wring date. How can i correct that in about 100 excel files. I will then make sure all offices run the same schem for regional parameters. Thanks for your help -- DanielHurtubise ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DanielHurtubise's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27449 View this thread: http://www.excel...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- 08/22/2007 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10 X86 08/14/2007 Adobe CS3 Master Collection MAC OSX UB D1 .DVD 08/09/2007 Digidesign Pro Tools V7.3 LE MAC OSX 05/11/2007 Altiverb 5.1 .MAC. .PPC. OSX 04/26/2007 VTC Macromedia D...

Formating assiciated to $ button
how can I change the formating associated to the $ button in the toolbar On some worksheet the button does nothing? Thank you The $ icon applies the currency style to the selected cells. One way to change what it does is to change the currency style. Look under Format|Style... Select Currency and change anything you want. Note that these styles are workbook settings--each workbook saves its own styles. For that workbook (not worksheet??), maybe the currency style got deleted. You can either create it manually (via format|style...) or you could merge it from a workbook that has it t...

Currency Format in Access 2007
Hello everyone,I am Access programmer. Now I had a problem that I can't find a wayfor a long time.In the Open event of a form, I give the format of a text box relatedwith records a value. It is similar with the statement below.Me.txtChargeExtended.Format = "$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)"It works well in Access 2003, but in Access 2007, when I close theform without changing any thing, Access prompts that "Save changes tothe following objects". I wanted to let this tip disappear. And Icomment out this statement above. It can work well. But I did lose thecurrency format setting.So...

date format in Excel #3
Hi All, What a wonderful mine of information this group is!!! Required daily reading to me. Thanks for the great contributions. Although I have managed to format a cell date (Excel in Office Pro 2000) with the "day" (e.g. "Friday" - as in dddd, dd mmm yyyy), I am stumped when it comes to putting a "th" or "nd" or "rd" (as in 1st/2nd/3rd etc...) Any ideas? TIA -- mac Take a look here: http://cpearson.com/excel/ordinal.htm In article <085A749B-889A-410F-B022-393684155179@microsoft.com>, "mac@bath" <barrydotjdotm...

Excel addon for Mac
For my marketing college class I had to buy a textbook that comes with Excel addon software. However, the software is Windows only. I own a Mac with office, Excel included. Does anyone know if there if a copy of the software for Macs? Textbook: Basic Marketing Research: Using Microsoft Excel Data Analysis Software: XL Data Analyst OS: Mac OS X 10.4.4 Office: Mac office 2004 Teacher/Student Edition I have also contacted the publisher of the book and they said they could not find a Mac version of the addon. A search of google leads to http://xldataanalyst.com/Basic/ -- Regards, Tush...

How to format a printout?
I exported a few hundred contacts from my Windows Live Mail as CSV file and opened it in Excel 2002. Of course, I can easily print this spreadsheet as it is, where each row contains all information about each entry. However, I'd like to print this information in a form of an address book: Last Name, First Name email address Street Address, City, Zip Home Phone Business phone Last Name, First Name email address etc. Is there a way to do so? -- Ilya Zeldes Fort Myers, Florida How is the original data laid out? All in one cell? In one row but separate ce...

XMLDocument serilization date format
Hiyas, Using VS .net 2003. Setting up a Webservice that accepts 3rd party vendor designed XML requests and returns a filled XMLDocument with response data. Vendor XSDs were serialize into class objects to be used in the program. EX: Used xsd.exe to turn VendorA_Request.XSD into VendorA_Request.cs EX: Used xsd.exe to turn VendorA_Response.XSD into VendorA_Response.cs etc etc.. Program logic is like this: Webservice accepts an XML request as a string. Deserialize the string into its appropriate request class object. Run the request class through business logic and produce result class. Ser...

Format Conditioning
xl2000 I want to compare the values in 2 ranges "N1" and "O1:O4". If the value in N1 is in one of the cells in O1:O4 then I want both cells to light up. In N1 I have tried = N1 = O1:O4 but have not gotten a result. Any help would be appreciated. Ta, Martin Hi Bob Thanks it works a treat! For 01:04 I have modified it to work in each cell ie O2 is now =O2=N1 Ta, Martin "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:OBnv9pGXDHA.1896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Martin, > > You could use Conditional Formatting. > > For N1, u...

FRx catalog print in Excel format
We're on FRx SP10. My main user wants to know if we can print out the Catalog of Reports in Excel format. I've not seen where we can but to make sure, can we? -- Sandy GP Sys Admin / Proj Sys Analyst If you can print to an Adobe pdf you can get it into Excel. After it is a pdf document you can copy/paste it into Excel. It works well for the summary catalog report but not the detail. the detail report wants to print each catalog on a separate page. "GP Guy in AZ" wrote: > We're on FRx SP10. My main user wants to know if we can print out the Catalog > o...

automatic formatting #2
how can i get to use the automatic formatting feature. when i want to customtize, the screen comes up and the automatic formatting is grey and i cannot access it. i want to add color and get hid of highlighting thank you ...

Some date &/or Times will not format
Good afternoon, I've imported some Date & Time data into excell, but when I try to format the colums as either date or time, some of the cells will not formatt. I've been told that sometimes importing data will result in hidden characters that will prevent formatting. Any way to correct this using a formula or other means? ex: 11/27/2009 16:23:00 PM . Best regards, -- Keith Nascarfan88 wrote: > Good afternoon, > > I've imported some Date & Time data into excell, but when I try to format > the colums as either date or time, some o...

Folders in Word for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I may be being dumb, but I cannot find how you create a folder within documents, to hold all your files on a certain subject. Can someone tell me please? GrahamH I'm not sure I understand your question... Folders are created so that documents [which are files] can be stored within *them*, you don't create "folders within documents". Folders can be created in a Finder window, on the Desktop, or from within the Open & Save As dialogs of most programs. If you can be more clear about the nature of you...

How to stop Outlook2003 from crippling my PC
Hi Does anyone know how to get Ms Outlook 2003 to use less resources? (i.e. less processor time, less disk time etc) I have a large .PST file (c.1GB) , windowsXP Pro, plenty HD space, 2GB of RAM and LOADS of rules (all of which I need because I get so much junk mail!). The problem is that whenever Outlook downloads emails, it more or less locks up the entire PC and I can't do very much else at the same time!! Also particularly bad is that can barely compose emails whilst downloading emails. But I need to have it *automatically* download email on a regular basis because otherwise 1st ...

Adobe.CS3.Master.Collection.MAC.OSX.UB 4DVD, Adobe.Premiere.Pro.CS3.MAC 1DVD, QuarkXPress.7.3.Passport.MAC 1CD,
Adobe.CS3.Master.Collection.MAC.OSX.UB 4DVD, Adobe.Premiere.Pro.CS3.MAC 1DVD, QuarkXPress.7.3.Passport.MAC 1CD, Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/August/17, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite,...