lost Excel data!

I've just deleted some important data from an Excel sheet
having moved it to another workbook. Unfortunately I
closed the new workbook without saving and I can't find
the data! I've not got a backup of the old workbook and
the data is not on the clipboard. Is there any way of
recovering it?

thanks

MrBen
0
anonymous (74719)

AFAIK, NO. We all gotta learn sometime (to make backups)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"MrBen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just deleted some important data from an Excel sheet
> having moved it to another workbook. Unfortunately I
> closed the new workbook without saving and I can't find
> the data! I've not got a backup of the old workbook and
> the data is not on the clipboard. Is there any way of
> recovering it?
>
> thanks
>
> MrBen

0
Don
6/30/2004 1:05:13 PM
MrBen

Did you save the original workbook or just close it after deleting the data?

If so, the data will be on the original.

If not, you would seem to be out of luck unless you had the original setttings
as "always create backup".

Look for *.XLK files on your computer.  Might be lucky.

Are you on a Network?  Maybe your IT dept backs up the server each day.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:31:57 -0700, "MrBen"

>I've just deleted some important data from an Excel sheet
>having moved it to another workbook. Unfortunately I
>closed the new workbook without saving and I can't find
>the data! I've not got a backup of the old workbook and
>the data is not on the clipboard. Is there any way of
>recovering it?
>
>thanks
>
>MrBen

0
Gord

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

Update Zip Codes for Mapping Add-in (Excel)
I've created a Geographic Map using Excel '97. When the Map wizard starts it interrogates my data and offers suggestions on zip codes not in the current zip code file (I'm assuming there's a zip code file somewhere). How do I update the zip codes file to make it current so I don't have to replace zip code values Excel can't find? .. Fred? Are you using Datamap that ships with Excel 97? If so, this is provided by a third-party vendor. You should be able, in help or similar, to find which one. They *may* be able to help. MS will likely not, as they ditched ...

Save excel as xml: null elements are missing #2
Hi, I am saving a xls file to xml data format, I use a xsd for the mapping. For some reasons the following happened: 1. On the output, the first line on the XML it says says <xml ... =91standalone =3D =93yes=94>. Is there anything I can set in xls, so that c= an be removed? 2. Some of the elements on the output is not shown when the Excel's cells is empty (not even the element's tag name) . I need those elements to appear even the cell is empty. Thanks in advance. Your help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Unstring in excel
I have excel 2007 - can't find any useful web site for support at microsoft. I'm not sure how to navigate all of the support web sites. And then there is Bing that keeps showing up? I have data like "12.99__13.49__12.78_.00_234.00" in a cell - I need to unstring the text into 5 numeric cells using formulas? I've not been able to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You Use the Text-to-Columns feature. You can use a delimiter of "_" and treat consecutive delimiters as one. -- Best Regards, Luke M *...

Multiple Workbook Data Capture Summary Sheet
I have a number of workbooks with a sheet called "EST". These workbooks will all be stored in the same folder, and are named "052-336558", etc) all numbers. Cell B2 in each sheet has the same number as the file number. Several cells on these sheets need to be captured in a Summary. Cells are same reference on each sheet (ie Field Hours, Shop Hours, Cost, Etc.) I want the summary sheet to have a column reference that goes and looks for the file number and than grabs my data from those external sources. Any suggestions? You can record a macro in your summary file.....

excel charting
how can i get a horizantal line at XX value to traverse a columns graph. for example: i'm charting widgets using vertical bars and want to add a benchmark line at XX widgets. thanks. Jon Peltier has instructions for adding a horizontal line to a chart: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#AddLine Texas Aggie wrote: > how can i get a horizantal line at XX value to traverse a columns graph. > for example: > i'm charting widgets using vertical bars and want to add a benchmark line at > XX widgets. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book ...

How on Excel can you draw up a Sports knockout chart of 32 names
I am a competition secretary and would like to know how make presentable knockout charts on Excel or Word? from 32 single names to 32 with 4 names in each section -- Thank you for your assistance ...

Migrating data from GP to GP

excel font changes in email
Hi, We have just had office 2003 installed on one of our machines while the rest are still running on a previous version. We opened a template from our server changed it and re-saved to the server. Now when the files are emailed and opened by one of our original machines in another office they come out with a very different appearance in terms of layout and font. Anybody any suggestions, it´s driving us crazy. Thanks What were the before and after font names? If the font used on the "sending" pc doesn't exist on the "receiving" pc, then windows will do a su...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

newbie seeks excel help
hi hope someone can help, i have a spreadsheet that has daily sales, monthly sales and yearly sales which (forgive my explanation i am a complete newbie lol) when i enter a new value in the daily sales, i want the monthly sales to increases but also add the previous value, and the same with the yearly cell, if you know what i mean. A1 A2 A3 daily sales monthlysales yearly sales 1 2 3 at the moment im trying =A1+A2 for cell A2, and =A2+A3 for cell A3, but i keep getting a circular reference message, ...

How to create a crosstab in Excel
Hi everyone! Need help ASAP! I have a simple spreadsheet that looks like this: Origin State Dest State Company AL AL A AL AR A AL AZ B AZ AL A AZ AR C ....and so on. Basically, the first 2 columns have all states/provinces and column 3 has the company we use. I need to create one matrix with all states/provinces in Row 1 and in Column 1, and all the cells in between are populated with the comp...

Make excel so it can be printed off, chart and all.
I do our monthly budget on excel and would like to print it off chart and all, how do I do that without cut and pasting it into Microsoft Word then print it. If the chart is embedded on a worksheet, it should print when you print the worksheet. If it's on a chart sheet, you could print that sheet separately. Or, move the chart to a worksheet, and print it there. To move a chart, right-click on it, and choose Location. Select one of the options, and click OK Dove wrote: > I do our monthly budget on excel and would like to print it off chart and > all, how do I do that without c...

Combo Box Drop-down list is based on specific data
I have a table (ASSIGNEES), which has four columns (ID, ASSIGN-NAMES, EMAILADDRESS, DEPARTMENT). I need to set up a combo box that only shows the names associated with a specific department when I click on the drop-down arrow. For example, anyone with a department of MGT will not show in the drop-down selection and anyone with a department of ENG will show up. Thank you in advance for your help. Linda You put the criteria in the query that you create in the record source. So in the query, reference the control on the form that has the department you want (or don't want) to s...

Excel update on broadcast
Hello Fellow Excel Developers, I am using excel sheet from VB. On firing of a particular user drive event excel sheet is opened with some data (list of exchange trade symbols). As rate of these symbols keep on changing very frequently probably 3 o 4 times in one second. Broadcast events are raised from VB to chang Worksheet in excel(no VBA coding is done in excel. All coding is in V only). Row is found in excel sheet for matching symbol and market parameter are updated in excel sheet. The problem is Excel is eating up lot of CPU utilization sometime t the extent of 70 - 80%. Can any on...

Printing Excel object
I want the cells, I don't want the A,B,C,... 1,2,3,.. >border around them. > >>-----Original Message----- >>Delete those cells in Excel... >> >>-- >>Mary Sauer MS MVP >>http://office.microsoft.com/ >>http://msauer.mvps.org/ >>news://msnews.microsoft.com >>"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in >message >>news:18a701c4dd45$16607a80$a501280a@phx.gbl... >>> row and column headers with an Excel linked object? >> >> >>. >> >. > Jim, dear, posting your qu...

column chart changes my data
Hi I have attempted to make a column chart with error bars using 6.3 0.008199 6.8 0.0151625 7.5 0.006469 as my data, BUT when i highlight and insert chart my figures (6.3,6.8,7.5) change to 1,2, and 3. and my other figures change to 1-8 I am trying to show rate of reaction vs pH level can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong as I dont normally have any trouble with these charts.I am using office 2003 -- thanks to all You should be using an XY chart for numerical value, particularly for scientific analyses. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Pelt...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

Creating a Table of Content in Excel
Hello, I would like to create a dynamic table of content in excel, is this possible? thanks for your support Depends on what you mean... If you meant you want a worksheet that serves as a table of contents to the other sheets, David McRitchie has some code you may like that builds hyperlinks to cell A1 of those other sheets. In fact, you could see how David set up the hyperlinks and use that for your table of contents. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm But I'm not sure what dynamic means. If you want to build a hyperlink that points at a certain cell--no matter whe...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

How do I graph excel data with a floating double arrow
I have not found a way to graph data with a double arrow graphic My goal is to show a series of arrows with x -axis at time and y axis (noun) these arrow would ultimately communicate something happening wrt to time, beginning at some point and ending at another point specified by excell data On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, shorty <shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have not found a way to graph data with a double arrow graphic >My goal is to show a series of arrows with x -axis at time and y axis (noun) Have a look at this Andy Pope page: http:/...

merging data from 2 lists
Hi, I have 2 lists of students - both lists are exactly the same; in one list certain students have a grade, in the other list all the other students have a grade. No student has a grade on each list; how do I end up with one list of students which has all the grades in the correct place? i am sue this is simple - but not for me!! thanks Me Hi Me, Definitely sounds possible, but we'll need some detail on the nature of the "lists" Are they single column? Multiple column? Are the grades in the same cell as the students' names? Dave. ...

Search for Data in a form
Hello I have a form that is being used to update data in a table called "Customer". This table holds customer info like Businessname/address etc... I added a combo box to the form so when someone wants to update info on any customer they can search by "businessname" and the customer would appear in the form for data entry to begin. My combo box properties are as follows: Control Source- null Row Source Type- Table/query After update - Events procedure as follows: Private Sub Combo70_AfterUpdate() DoCmd.ShowAllRecords Me!txtbusinessname.SetFocus DoCmd.FindRecord Me!...

Excel combinations from groups
I have the following problem with excel. I have a varied amount of groups of names and each group contains a different amount of names. I need excel to list all the possible combinations from each group. The combination size also varies. EG Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Dave Fred Janet Harry Bob Selina Jim jane Jo The group sizes vary and the amount of group vary. I need excel to make various combinations eg In a "2" combination Dave can go with Fred or Janet. Fr...