Lookup Function #5

I have a table set up where ARC and CRA are two separate entities and have
two separate values associated with them (ie. ARC=4568, CRA=3978).  When I do
a lookup using these strings, it give the value ARC=4568, and CRA=4568.  I
assume because they contain the same letters, just in a different order.  I
think Excel sees ARC and CRA as being the same thing.  Is there a way around
this??

THanks

Chris

Christopher,

It looks like you have the lookup function structured wrong.  Excel should
be able to find the correct value.  You might want to look at the on-line
help for the correct syntax.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Christopher Anderson" wrote:

> I have a table set up where ARC and CRA are two separate entities and have
> two separate values associated with them (ie. ARC=4568, CRA=3978).  When I do
> a lookup using these strings, it give the value ARC=4568, and CRA=4568.  I
> assume because they contain the same letters, just in a different order.  I
> think Excel sees ARC and CRA as being the same thing.  Is there a way around
> this??
>
> THanks
>
> Chris
What formula did you use? If the formula is referring to a table, is the
table sorted in ascending order on its first column? Also, did you see
the replies to your initial post?

Christopher Anderson wrote:
> I have a table set up where ARC and CRA are two separate entities and have
> two separate values associated with them (ie. ARC=4568, CRA=3978).  When I do
> a lookup using these strings, it give the value ARC=4568, and CRA=4568.  I
> assume because they contain the same letters, just in a different order.  I
> think Excel sees ARC and CRA as being the same thing.  Is there a way around
> this??
>
> THanks
>
> Chris
0
akyurek (248)
1/5/2005 3:31:08 PM
Hi Chris,

You probably left out the last argument, 0, as in Max' example

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Christopher Anderson" <ChristopherAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:3B5D1E7C-2C3E-4B03-A18C-5F71850BF409@microsoft.com...
>I have a table set up where ARC and CRA are two separate entities and have
> two separate values associated with them (ie. ARC=4568, CRA=3978).  When I
> do
> a lookup using these strings, it give the value ARC=4568, and CRA=4568.  I
> assume because they contain the same letters, just in a different order.
> think Excel sees ARC and CRA as being the same thing.  Is there a way
> around
> this??
>
> THanks
>
> Chris

0
nicolaus (2022)

XML Validation #5
I'm validating an XML document against an XSD schema using the code shown below. Everything works good, but I'm trying to find a way to grab the node\attribute value that threw the error. Ideally if I could get the attribute name and value that would be all I need. In addition to what is shown below I've tried catching XmlSchemaValidationException, but it still didn't have what I needed. If anyone has an example or idea on how to do this I would really appreciate the help. Thanks. === XML === <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <annu...

Table relationships and lookups
Hi guys, I may be a little over my head, I've had some experience in creating simple access db's. however this one will be extremely complicated as far as I can tell. Some backround info - i've got an excel spreadsheet currently that i would like to convert to Access. The spreadsheet does multiple lookups and calucations. This is for a Soccer club that i run to maintain roster information, dollars, scheduling and stats. I'm currently working on the scheduling pience. Here's what I have so far. tables. Club - Lists the teams in the club, home field name and ...

Question about IF function
I would like to have every cell in column A that has value of "0.00" be changed to "NO" and every cell that is > 0.00 to have number values changed to "YES". What would the formula be? Thanks in advance. Not sure why you're thinking IF() function. If you just want to display "YES" or "NO", choose Format/Cells/Number/Custom and enter: "YES";;"NO";@ Otherwise In article <12750bd4-e150-4c25-92ca-2b06e540f525@t3g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, excel_21 <lin.jeff.21@gmail.com> wrote: > I would like...

It wants to print my 5.5"X8.5" booklets on 11"X17"
For two years, I’ve used Publisher 2003 to print folded and stapled booklets on our Konica/Minolta Di5510 copier. Ever since Service Pack 3, no matter what I do when I send a 5 1/2" X 8 1/2" booklet job to the copier, the copier insists that I load 11" X 17" instead of the 8 1/2" X 11" I specified. (When I try to print an 8 1/2" X 11" booklet, it either changes my Publisher page set up to 4 1/4" X 11" and prints slices of two of my pages on each page of the booklet, or it prints a booklet with only half the pages.) If it helps to know,...

Invoice lookup by paid check number
I frequently have vendors call me asking for information about what invoices were paid by a check number. Is ther an easy way to look this information up? -- Rodger You could go to Inquiry>Purchasing>Transactions by Document, put your check number in the 'from' and 'to' fields. Once the document is displayed in the scrolling window zoom back on the 'Unapplied Amount' field. Viola! the documents paid by the selected payment are listed. Unfortunately there isn't a print icon on this inquiry window, but I think it's the information you wanted. &quo...

Exchange 5.5 Registry Keys
Hello I've googled for this without much luck : I'm trying to find out the registry key that defines whether a protocol (such as POP3, IMAP etc) is enabled or not. I've searched through the registry on two servers on which one has POP3 enabled while the other is disabled but again, couldn't see a difference. While we're at it, the keys to see if Public Root Folders and Public Folders are implemented would be darned useful too. Can anyone advise, please? Cheers JJ (UK) "JJ \(UK\)" <spam.here@rubbish.bin> wrote: >I've googled for this without m...

Lookup
Q103 Q102 Q202 Q302 Q402 Q103 Q203 How can I lookup the Q103 in the row above and then have it pull the number to the right one cell (Q203)? thanks If I understand correctly =INDEX(A2:F2,MATCH(A1,A2:F2,0)+1) where q103 is in a1 and q102-q203 is in a2-f2 Lance >-----Original Message----- >Q103 > > >Q102 Q202 Q302 Q402 Q103 Q203 > > >How can I lookup the Q103 in the row above and then have >it pull the number to the right one cell (Q203)? thanks >. > matt wrote: > Q103 > > > Q102 Q202 Q302 Q402 Q...

Select range for function in a cell
Hi, is it possible to select create a formula in a cell. such as =SUM( and have the cursor be between the () so the user can select th appopriate range to enter? Or would this just be done separately. (Since one would need to know the range and WHERE to put the formul in..ie. what cell) similar to if you hit the autosum button but ther are no numbers above or the left, it simply waits for the user t select a range and then hits enter. THanks! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi if I understood you correctly: No -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, is it p...

Need offset function help, I think
I have 10 products rows with a cost in column BW of rows 21 thru 30, i.e., cells BW21 down to BW30. Those 10 products have the # of units sold each month, for 22 months, shown in rows 41 thru 50, in columns E thru Z, so column E is month #1 ... col Z is month #22. The total range is cells E40 thru Z40. There is a cost factor vector that has six factors in row 70, cells G70 thru L70. These are to be used =91for all time periods=92 and for all products. Any time there is a sale of a product in a certain month, I want to enter six months of cost associated with producing the item...

Help with LOOKUP function
This function is in a workbook with 2 sheets. It _almost_ works perfectly. These "C" columns in two different sheets '2005-2006'!C:C,'2004-2005'!C:C, contain names of people. The D column in one of the sheets - '2004-2005'!D:D - contains a date associated with the person's name from the C column of 2004-2005 sheet. This formula is in the "D" column of Sheet 2005-2006. =LOOKUP('2005-2006'!C:C,'2004-2005'!C:C,'2004-2005'!D:D) The concept is for the formula to lookup the value (person's name) in column C of 2005-2006 a...

A Lookup function does not work
Hi, This is my first posting. I am using Exel 2000. I have 2 separate spreadsheets that have some similar columns but not all of the data in the similar columns is the same. What I want to do is take column A in spreadsheet#1 and find this same value in Column B in Spreadsheet#2 and then insert into column 3 in spreadsheet #1 a value from a different column in spreasheet #2 that corresponds to the row in which the value was looked up in Column B in spreadsheet#2. What I am doing is comparing 2 different inventory files that have stock codes in columns and quantities in another column, but n...

SumIf Function #3
I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use) and I keep running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than one criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify SumIf to allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert function box and it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas? Jay Jay look at SUMPRODUCT Look at the Help and search the Archives for examples Regards Trevor "jayceejay" <jayceejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39CB49F6-4459-4A4B-8856-E3E8BE615FFB@microsoft.com... > I'm...

Win live email cant access tech no responce day 5
i have not only put in my correct password ,error message, its not it .now im locked out and tech support team no help who am i emailing myself i also set up security question but it wants alternitive email or sent to my locked ou acct. microsoft has major tech issues toooooooo many -- JMorrison23 One problem may be the manner in which you attempt to describe your issue. We can't help you if you are locked out of your email account. You will have to go through the provider's standard "Forgot username / password" links - you can get a free email address ...

return cell reference in a table based upon given lookup criteria
Is there a way to return the cell reference, or column/row coordinates, of a cell within an array or table by providing lookup criteria? Perhaps something like this: For a table of value in A1:E10 F1: (the value to find) G1: =ADDRESS(MAX((A1:E10=F1)*ROW(A1:E10)),MAX((A1:E10=F1)*COLUMN(A1:E10))) Note: Commit that array formula by holding down the [Ctrl][Shift] keys and press [Enter]. That formula returns the address of the 1st cell containing the value in F1, or #VALUE! if there is no match. Am I on the right track here? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Travis" ...

CRM Functionality does not appear in Outlook
Hi all... Hope someone can help here - I am a non-technie looking after the install of CRM for a small sales organisation. I have succesfully installed the outlook client on all laptops but on 1 desktop I am getting a problem. I have installed all pre-requisites and passed all pre-install checks, and the installation appears to go smoothly. However, the additional functionality does not appear in outlook. No error codes are generated so I can't be more specific than this I'm afraid, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Holmesy in outlook go to tools options..then get t...

Replication problem in exchnage 5.5 server.
We are using exchnage 5.5 server for messaging.we have around 40 loactions and all are connected by wan link to the mainserver.In one of my location they deleted one e-mail id and replicated with other server.But in one of my other location still showing the deleted e-mail id in GAL.what could be wrong? Is it only one site or server that still shows the original ID or other sites and servers as well still see this? If it is just one I would make sure directory replication is working correctly. Try forcing a manual replication and also doing a knowledge consistency check. Once I also ha...

IF Function Problem
Hello All, I am using Office XP and have the following problem I have a worksheet which uses lookup to extract names from range name Codes as follows Col O=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D2,CODES,6,FALSE)),"",(VLOOKUP(D2,CODES,6,FALSE))) I wish to add another IF condition to the above formula to test that: If Col D2 = EGSP AND Col A = date greater than or equal to 15-Nov-2005 then it should display the name as 'Jack' otherwise 'James'. All other values should remain unchanged Thanks a lot Rashid =IF(D2="EGSP",IF(A2>=--"2005-11-15","Jack",&q...

Consistent function of Utilities logon screen when applying hotfix
When our users attempt to install a hotfix roll-up, when they are logging into Dynamic Utilities for the first time, the user interface is very touchy. What I mean is that they must click the username field and then type. Then, they must use the mouse again to click the password field and type. Then, they must click the OK button. If they try to use backspace, enter key, tab key, etc., extra characters are inserted. The only way that they can "edit" their username and password information during logon is to use the mouse to highlight and the type over the information. ...

Advanced Lookups
Is there any way to make an advanced lookup the default lookup? so you don't have to always choose that option when doing a lookup? Thanks for any help. Tracey D Advanced lookups ARE the default unless you've done something to make it now so. There isn't any way to "choose" the option when doing a lookup that I know of unless you have some type of customization (easy to do) that would give the user an option. patrick dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Tracey D" <...

How to call a non static function from a static function
Hi I need to go to a non static function from a static function?can anybody suggest me how to do it?any kind of help will be greatly appreciated. You need to pass the object whose function you want to call. static void s_foo( A* a ); class A{ public: A(); ~A(); void funcA(); }; main() { ... A a; s_foo(&a); } static void s_foo( A* a ) { a->funcA(); } -Seetharam ...

Restoring Exchange 5.5
I have a test domain. Not the same name as the production domain. I have restored the Information Store and the Directory Store to the test Exchange 5.5 server. I have used the same name for administration; however, the SIDs are different, since on different domains. When I try to open Exchange, I get access denied. I am assuming (and you know what that does) that the restored dbs have the original SIDs applied. How can I change them so I can open the Exchange Administrator? did you follow this, exactly? http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/administration/55/BackupRestore.asp did...

Disable COPY function
Does anyone know how can I avoid/restrict people Copying-n- pasting data from my excel spread-sheet. I am trying to lock down an excel spread-sheet to "Read Only" - in its true sense and dis-allow even copying data from this sheet to any other. Basically I want to turn off the COPY function. Secondly, if a person saves this sheet locally under another file name, how would I still disallow the COPY function. Is there any VBA module (which I can later password protect) which takes care of this. I do not have admin rights to set folder/file server permissions and the hiararch...

Vendor Lookup
One doing the vendor lookup - one user sees the 'show details' information upon lookup; other user sees the vendor list and needs to clik on the show details - how do you get the show details window to be the default option you see. Thansk! Check for full stops/periods/dots on the window title bar before or after the window name. It is possible to use VBA or modifier to open the details automatically. David Musgrave [MSFT] Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions) http://www...

Calculating turaround time using IF function
I'm just learning to use the IF function, and it is not calculating correctly, so am looking for help. I'm using Excel 2000. For my spreadsheet, if a document is made available after 1700 hours or before 0700 hours the following day, I want it to calculate the turnaround time for those reports to begin at 0700 hours; otherwise calculate the remainder of the reports from the time the report became available to completion. Here's the IF statement I'm attempting to use with little success. E=Time report available I=Finish time =IF(OR(E>"17:00:00",E&l...

Calling employee lookup from button through VBA code
Dear All, Can anyone show me how to call an existing GP employee lookup from a button of a modified form through VBA code. Thanks in advance. -- Developer Hi, If I'm understanding the question - you need to add the lookup button to your project and make sure your project provides that it runs on the modified form. Leslie "Dexdev" wrote: > Dear All, > > Can anyone show me how to call an existing GP employee lookup from a button > of a modified form through VBA code. > > > Thanks in advance. > > -- > Developer Hello Dexdev As per...