locked cells #3

Have a workbook with 12 worksheets. Suddenly find that 3 cells are read
only, protected or something. Unable to unlock those 3 cells. Anyone got any
ideas? TIA

--
MMAPHQ

WWW.MMAP.ORG

0
mmaphq1 (3)

Tools|Protection|unprotect sheet
(You may need to supply a password)

--

Dave Peterson
0
> Tools|Protection|unprotect sheet
> (You may need to supply a password)

Not the problem. Only 3 cells of the column are protected (?). Rest of the
column is unprotected (or something).
All the sheets are supposedly the same & only the DEC sheet has this
problem.

0
mmaphq1 (3)
1/5/2006 4:22:09 PM
Cells can be locked or unlocked.
Worksheets can be protected or unprotected.

You can have a bunch of unlocked cells on a protected worksheet so that you can
type anything you want into them.  That protected sheet could have 3 locked
cells that can't be changed.

Did you look at the menu to see if "unprotect sheet" is shown?

If it isn't (you'd see "protect sheet"), then it's not the worksheet protection.

But I don't have a guess what it could be.  Maybe you could explain what happens
when you try to change these cells.  (Developers could do their best to keep you
out of those cells without locking the cell and protecting the sheet.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

We have a column that we enter data into. There are several hundred cells in
that col.
When we try to enter data in 3 of the cells we get: 'the cell or chart you
are ... is protected & therefore read-only'.

Yes we can go up to protection & unprotect the sheet & then enter data.

So how did those 3 cells get locked & how can we unlock those 3 cells? TIA

> Cells can be locked or unlocked.
> Worksheets can be protected or unprotected.
>
> You can have a bunch of unlocked cells on a protected worksheet so that
> you can
> type anything you want into them.  That protected sheet could have 3
> locked
> cells that can't be changed.
>
> Did you look at the menu to see if "unprotect sheet" is shown?
>
> If it isn't (you'd see "protect sheet"), then it's not the worksheet
> protection.
>
> But I don't have a guess what it could be.  Maybe you could explain what
> happens
> when you try to change these cells.  (Developers could do their best to
> keep you
> out of those cells without locking the cell and protecting the sheet.)
>
> TED MEDIN wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > Tools|Protection|unprotect sheet
>> > (You may need to supply a password)
>> >
>> Not the problem. Only 3 cells of the column are protected (?). Rest of
>> the
>> column is unprotected (or something).
>> All the sheets are supposedly the same & only the DEC sheet has this
>> problem.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

I'd say that someone locked those cells--maybe it was an accident.

One way would be to select a range (all three cells if you want), then:
Edit|clear|All

When you clear all, it resets the cell to the normal style.  And unless you've
changed that normal style, the cell will be locked.

One solution is to change the normal style so that the default "lockedness" is
not locked.  Another is to train the users to not use edit|clear|all.  Just use
Edit|clearcontents or hit the delete key.

To unlock those cells, you'll have to unprotect the worksheet first.
Then select the 3 cells
format|cells|protection tab|uncheck Locked
then reprotect the worksheet.

You still may have to know the password.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> To unlock those cells, you'll have to unprotect the worksheet first.
> Then select the 3 cells
> format|cells|protection tab|uncheck Locked
> then reprotect the worksheet.

Ok that's what I needed to know. Thanks

0
n6trf (9)

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

Contents automatically entered into another cell
working on an estimate and trying to figure out a way to take the results of one cell and have its contents be automatically entered into another cell. I have a subtotal line item for a particular category, I am wanting to create a cover page showing the various catergories but not all of the breakdown. (It is simple to keep track of right now, but as the estimate gets more involved, changes become harder to remember). I'm trying to create a reference to the cover page that will reflect the sub-total line item from the detailed breakdown. So, if $3.23 is shown in the deatailed br...

Can custom headers be linked to a cell in the worksheet?
This was a feature in 123 where header or footer information could be retrieved from a cell in the worksheet. Is there anything similar in Excel? You could use a macro... For instance, this code goes behind the ThisWorkbook module: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Worksheets("sheet1") .PageSetup.LeftHeader = .Range("a1").Text End With End Sub Texas_Toast wrote: > > This was a feature in 123 where header or footer information could be > retrieved from a cell in the worksheet. Is there anything similar...

How Can I show 3 different lines in one chart?
I've created 3 different line charts and am trying to combine them all into one chart with a different color for each line. Each line designates a different type of customer service. I can't figure out how to do it? Can anybody help? -- B''''''''''''''''s mom Hi, Select one of your existing charts. Right click and pick Source Data from the popup menu. On the Series tab use the Add button to add another series to the chart. Then go to the Values box and define the range for the data. Repeat for the 3rd series. ...

Keeping text within the cell
Hi all, Mr. Newbie here, How does one format the cell so that when text is entered it does not flow across the worksheet or resize the cell? I would prefer to keep the cell the same size and not have the text run into the next column and then just mouse over the cell to read what is in that cell. Is this possible? Thanks Tim Foster Make an entry in the cell to the right (even a space). In article <rie3d059vtotqt4pihh14u0n6r34mqau1t@4ax.com>, Tim Foster <opyis@shaw.ca> wrote: > Hi all, Mr. Newbie here, > > How does one format the cell so that when text is entered i...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

URL type string field 'hack' in 3.0 possible?
Hi all, Our client had a requirement in 1.2 to have a field of type URL that would bring up a Windows Explorer window when clicked. For example, the URL field would contain the string "file:///C:\Customers". When doubled click it would display an Explorer window with the folder location to C:\Customers in a new window. When trying to duplicate this in 3.0, there is a pop up that displays, "Invalid protocol. Only HTTP and HTTPS are allowed in this field". I've tried searching all CRM specific javascript files in the file system to see if there is an occurrence to thi...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

how may I copy color of a other cell
Hello, I need a function that copy also the full format/color/size of a cell Example A1 = USD 12'500.00 (monetary size, 12 fat, blue bottom) A2 = mon 12.03.2004 (dates, 10 not fat, white bottom) If in A3 I type: =" A1 " I would like a blue bottom, 12 fat, etc. and If I type =" A2 " a white bottom, 10 not fat, etc.... Is it possible? Thank you for any help. Thierry, Maybe you can use the Format Painter. Select the cell that has the formatting you wish to copy, and click the Format Painter. It's a paintbrush on a button on the Standard toolbar. Now click the c...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

CRM 3.0 Exchange Mail Router Issue with BCC to CRM Users
I recently ran into an issue where BCC to CRM emails from CRM users to other CRM users (or to themselves) are not able to be posted into CRM. Below is one scenario that can cause this. 1. UserA sends an email in CRM to a customer and CC's UserB 2. UserB then replies to the email and then changes the To address to the customers address and also BCC's himself. 3. The BCC copy is routed back into UserB's mailbox (btw he does this so he can file away a copy of the email in Outlook) and is then forwarded to the crm mailbox by the crm forwarding rule. 4. The CRM Exchange Mail Router ser...

get an average of 3 cells, if they all have numbers, in excel.
In excel I need to average 3 cells, only if they all contain a number. and if they don't contain a number, don't display an error. "rudyjudy" <rudyjudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In excel I need to average 3 cells, only if they all contain a number. > and if they don't contain a number, don't display an error. =IF(COUNT(A1,B2,C3)=3, AVERAGE(A1,B2,C3), "") Unfortunately, you will not see this response unless you use a different NG interface, e.g. Google Groups or a newsreader that access the MSnews server, msnews.microsof...

Joining/Merging Cells
I want to merge two cells into one and then, eliminate the 2d cell, e.g., Cell A Cell B Smith James Jones Fred CELL A now becomes Smith, James Jones, Fred I know about =Ax&", "&Bx [where x is the row number]; however, I do NOT want to keep column 2 after I complete the merger. However, if after I merge, and obtain the result I want, I don't know how to retain the result after I delete Column B. So, "adding" effectively adding the two columns together doesn't cut it. Thanks! Ann just select the merged data, Copy ...

Can I link *.jpg files to Excel cells?
I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work OK also. Can I do it? TIA LAS You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image stored within the workbook. How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate results you are looking for. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote: >I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd >lik...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Sorting more than 3 columns of Numeric data.
I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible? Thanks! -- JMax ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JMax's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6305 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494208 This is an exert from the help on sorting lists with more than 3 columns. Basically, you need to sort the list twice. If y...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

Enter Male / Female only into cell.
It's me again, You are all so efficient with your answers, I thought I would tak advantage of you... How can I ensure that only the words "Male/male/Female/female" ar entered into a "gender" cell? Thanks again -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use a validation list. Jerry DarrenPWS < wrote: > It's me again, > > You are all so efficient with your answers, I thought I would take > advantage of you... > > How can I ensure that only the words "Male/male/Female/female" are > entered into a "gender" cel...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...

Why Am I getting a blank in the result cell?
Can someone assist me with what I'm doing wrong with the formula below? It keeps returning a blank in the resulting cell. I am trying to calculate the weighted avg. of production scores for an employee based on hours worked per month. columns B,D,F,H,J, and L are the hours while C,E,G,I,K, and M are the prod scores. Manual calculation should result in a 90.9% weighted averge. B C D E F G H I J K L M wgtd. Avg. 129 117 - - 29 75 19 32 - - 50 55 90.9% =IF(ISERROR(SUMPRODUCT((B13...

Where am I being locked out?!
This is an unusual problem and I'm hoping someone will have come across something similar before. Before I start I should state that I've hardly used Windows Server or Active Directory, so go easy on me if this is something obvious! I am having my account locked out on a daily basis. I know that this isn't to do with my machine as it happens even if I get my account unlocked and wait a day without turning my machine on I still can't log on the day after. I'm pretty sure it's a piece of software that I've installed somewhere that keeps trying to con...

Copying Cells #3
How do I copy a row into a column? Hi Copy the cells (with Edit|Copy or Ctrl+C), select the destination cell and click Edit|Paste Special . . and select the Transpose check box. -- Andy. "Medusa" <Medusa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FD3B81E-4902-4530-AC99-D075BA4F74D5@microsoft.com... > How do I copy a row into a column? ...