Lock Pivot Table Column Widths

Hi,

Everytime I refresh my pivot table the column width
changes.  Is there a way to set and lock the column widths
of the pivot table.

Thanks,
Christine
0
anonymous (74722)

Turn off AutoFormat in the PivotTable, and the column width should be
retained:

Right-click on a cell in the PivotTable
Choose Table Options
Remove the check mark from AutoFormat Table
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Temp tables vs Permanent table with deletes
I am looking at changing about 10 procedures that use a Permanent table for nothing more than temporary storage to load and store various records from a select statement and run a Join on this table to update other records. It then deletes all the records it put into the table. The table is used by multiple procedures at the same time keyed by a Guid it always gets at the start of the routines. There are about 4 indexes on this table. There can be any from 1 to 1000 records involved in this. I was thinking about dropping the table and just using a temp table. When the t...

Multiple field Table Sort
I am using Access 2007 and am unable to find specific instructions on how to sort a table by more than one field, I would like to, for example, sort records by city and then within each city by name. I know I can do it with a query or report but would like to be able to work on the records in a specific order. I have tried advanced filter/sort but it didn t seem to work. Many Thanks. Jay, Using a query would be the way to handle it. It is generally a good idea to regard Tables as being background data storage, and not for human consumption, and use the other tools available, as ap...

Newbie: Create report from four XL tables?
I am working with a database that was old when the term "legacy" was coined! I can run queries and save the results out as Excel files. The report generator, though, is the pits and is not user-friendly. (I'm on my second day of reformatting a 450-page report!) The data I need for a report would have to be saved out from four different queries: one query would have one line per key field, the other three would have multiple lines per key field. I touched Access briefly several years ago, and know just enough to get myself in deep trouble. So would it be difficult for a newbie...

Can you paste to protected spreadsheet and skip over locked cells?
I have a spreadsheet that has some cells locked and others that are not. I need to refresh the data on the page every month. I want to be able to copy the new data and paste it into the spreadsheet. The catch is that I do not want the locked cells to be changed. Is there a way to paste so that Excel will ignore those locked cells and skip over them? At this time it says that cells are locked and does not paste anything. Thanks Webmonk wrote... >I have a spreadsheet that has some cells locked and others that are >not. I need to refresh the data on the page every month. I want to...

how to multiply two columns
Hi, i have two columns (A and B) with 126 datas each. And i want to multiply column A with Column B and like to displayed in column C. pls. help me to do this..thanks. Assuming your data starts in A1, then in C1 enter this formula: =A1*B1 Select C1 again and double-click the fill handle - this is the small black square at the bottom right corner of the cursor, and double-clicking it will cause the formula to be replicated down column C for as many data items as you have in column B. Hope this helps. Pete it really works..thanks again..but finally have to drag the border of the cell i...

Spreadsheet growth
Has anyone figured out the trick to keep a spreadsheet from "growing" in size as pivot tables are added (and based on the SAME dataset)? If my kids grew at the rate that my spreadsheets are growing, I'd have to sell them for medical experiments! For example, my dataset has 15,000 rows, 37 columns. It takes up about 7.44 megs on its own. I create a pivot based on that dataset, to filter the data into certain categories. From ONE of those categories, I create another dataset within the same spreadsheet (the second dataset contains about 9,000 of the original 15,000 rows). ...

How can I fill in a column with the alphabet
I know there is a way that I can type in a in cell a1,b cell a2, b , cell a3, c and then drag to the bottom of the column and it will continue with d, e,f, etc but have forgotten.Can somebody please remind me again. Thanks Tools - Options - Custom Lists. Should be easy from there... -- barrfly Excel User - Energy markets ------------------------------------------------------------------------ barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4141 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471751 Hi Vincent, Use of the f...

excel should let me set row amd column maximum sizes
Worksheet size is 65,536 rows by 256 columns. I need one that is 256 rows by 65536 columns (or some where in between) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=441f2d8e-4e4d-49ee-b8d4-5f54b182f23d&...

#Error error corrupts records in a table
Hi, I have a database in MS Access 97 which has a form consisting mainly of "Memo" fields. It is accessed by a number of people. Every now and then, if the database is left open or sometimes upon closing it and reopening it, it corrupts some of the fields on the form and displays #Error in the field instead of the actual text. You can then no longer edit any field on the form nor can you edit any field from the back-end in the table linked to the form. You cannot even copy the record directly from the table and paste it back in after removing the #Error message. As a result, you h...

set up a macro to delete characters in each cell of a column
I wish to delete 3 characters in each cell of a row. A macro qould be much faster but how i do it? Hi Rick, Try: '===================>> Public SubDeleteLast3Chars() Dim rng As Range Dim rcell As Range Dim WB As Workbook Dim SH As Worksheet Dim iLen As Long Set WB = ActiveWorkbook '<<========== CHANGE Set SH = WB.Sheets("Sheet4") '<<========== CHANGE Set rng = SH.Range("A2:M2") '<<========== CHANGE For Each rcell In rng.Cells With rcell If Not .HasFormula Then ...

Collapsing columns in Excel?
I am using Excel XP 2003. Excel's subtotals feature lets you collapse rows and show summary data. It displays little "plus" and "minus" buttons to show or hide the extra rows. I'm sure I have seen a spreadsheet where this same technique has been applied to columns, but I cannot find out how to do it. I'm creating a spreadsheet where I have a bunch of data about pupils in a school. At the end of each year they take 11 exams, and I would like to store all the grades in separate columns for each subject, but I would like to collapse them down to display an ...

Counting rows of blanks across certain columns
I have a survey whose answers were recorded in Excel. The answers for a particular question extend from Q6 to Z505. I need to count the people who did not answer the question (that is, the people, entered in rows 6 to 505 that left columns Q through Z blank). I'm not sure how to do this. Can someone offer a suggestion? Hi You can use a formula like this in Column AA =IF(COUNTA(Q6:Z6)=0,1,"") copy down till AA505 You can use a simple Sum formula now to count the empty ones =SUM(AA6:AA505) -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "crossingboston" <...

Filtering Pivot Tables #2
Filtering Pivot Tables Hello All, Does anyone know if it is possible to code the filter criteria for a pivot table? I have several pivot tables in a single workbook that look up different data from the same source. One might look up parts where another is set to look up Sales. The filter criteria are all by date. I am trying to figure out a way that the user only has to select the date from of the tables and all the tables' filter of the same date. Is it possible to code something like this? Thanks, Steve There's a sample file here that you could adapt to your workbook: h...

Replace data in a column
Okay, I have a column that has text in it. I want to change all these to the Identifying number that is found in a different table. So how do I do this? Example: Current table has: A 1 First name 2 New first name 3 Another first name Need to change the A column in first table to the correspoding column in this table: A B 1 12 First name 2 15 New first name 3 22 Another first name So after the switch either I need a new column in the current table so it look like the second column (there might be more then one match in the current t...

Create Table Script with Variable
Hello all, Is it possible to do the following when creating a table? I've tried but it creates the table called @CompanyPrefix_STAFF not JY_STAFF. Any help would be great. Regards declare @CompanyPrefix varchar(5) SET @CompanyPrefix = 'JY' CREATE TABLE [dbo].[@CompanyPrefix_STAFF] ( [Col1] [int] NOT NULL , [Col2] [int] NOT NULL , [Col3] [int] NULL , [Col4] [int] NULL , [Col5] [int] NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] GO Hi Jon, You'll need to switch to using a dynamic SQL statement (ie: EXEC a string) to do that. Regards, Greg "Jon" <...

Copying Query Results into a Table
Hi, I have a Query which filters out certain records from an existing Table, how can I copy these filtered out records which were based on certain criteria, to an existing Table which have exactly the same name of fields as the Query? Thanks Ange Kappas wrote: > I have a Query which filters out certain records from an existing >Table, how can I copy these filtered out records which were based on certain >criteria, to an existing Table which have exactly the same name of fields as >the Query? Try changing the query to an Append query (using the Query menu...

pivot table sort entries that don't yet appear in table
I have a pivot table that's accessing an ODBC data source. There's a field for career level in the table that's currently sorted alphabetically. I'd like to sort it in order of career level, instead. I'd need to do this manually, because there is no simple alphabetic progression i can use. The problem is, the table must be filtered on a single location (a page filter) because there's so much data and while filtered not all career levels appear. One location may show 2 career levels, another country may show 3, another may show only 1. How can i set this up to c...

Totalling entries in different columns
Guys hope you can help, very new to Excel and failing miserably with formulas at the moment! I have a spreadsheet with a fair number of columns. Its split into Job Titles, Names, Regions and training modules. I then mark x in the box of which town will hold which training course, see below Name Job Office Mod1 Mod2 Mod3 Jo Bloggs Engineer London x Flo Green Sales Manchester x x Jon Brown Engineer Birmingham x Pat Orange Admin London x x What I ne...

vertical line between columns in report
I draw a vertical line in the center of a 2 columns of the report (column spacing). It does not show. If I put the line close to the right edge of the first column, it shows. But I want the vertical line in the center of column gap. How to do it? Thanks. Are you using code with the Line Method or are you using a line control? What is the gap? Is this the Column Spacing? If you have a multi-column report with a column spacing of 0.25" you might try code in the On Page of Private Sub Report_Page() Dim intGap As Integer intGap = 0.25 * 1440 / 2 Me.Line (Me.Wid...

delete row and automatically renumber column
This is probably a piece of cake for this NG : - (For example) I have a small data base (any # of columns by any # of rows) I wish to delete an entry and have the left side column automatically renumber itself rather than having to manually (drag) to renumber the column. Is this possible? Please help. Thanks, Gra The numbers do not change when you delete a row. If you are using a column with row numbers in in why not substitute the row function in the formula instead or =row() or =row(a5) and copy down -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Graham Hill" <hill...

On a column chart, how do you put a percent sign on the top most .
On a stacked column chart, how do you put a percent sign on the top most number on the vertical (value) axis? On Jan 13, 3:49 pm, JudyF <Ju...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > On a stacked column chart, how do you put a percent sign on the top most > number on the vertical (value) axis? Use a custom number format, say if the max value was 70: [=70]##"%";## The only problem with that is that it doesn't align the column of numbers well, to fix that add a couple spaces after the others.: [=70000]####"%";####" " I got the percent sign on th...

How do I put information into a NEW journal table?
Having created a New table in Outlook 2003 Journal with different column headings (to record family tree history), how can I put information into each of the new headings, which do not appear on the Journal Entry form? You'll need to create a custom fields for the new information. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWS...

Problems with updating category names in pivot tables
I have an issue with pivot tables, previously my pivot table contained months where each month was written like "January, February" etc, but now I have changed the way the months are written to "01-january, 02-february". My problem is that even though the data with the old month names no longer exists in the pivot table, the pivot table still provides "January, February" etc. as filtering options in the month category. I've tried updating the pivot table but it doesnt help. The only way i've been able to get rid of this was by creating a new pivot t...

Linked Table to Outlook contacts
Hi group, Please bear with me if this is a wrong forum for the question: I have created a linked Table to the contacts in my outlook. The issue is that the linked table does not contain links to all the fields that are available on the Outlook Calendar form. I am using Outlook 2003 and Access 2003 to map to outlook. I am trying to develop a web application that can use my address to add / update my phonebook based upon my business rules. Is there any way in Access, that I can specify, which fields to link to (if not all) to an external data source (Outlook contacts in this case). ...

Convert text invoice into a table- please help!
Hi, We have an invoice in text format in excel. I need to convert in a table format to be able to convert it into a pivot I need macros created which can 1) delete blank rows 2) delete rows which start with certain text in a particular (the invoice heading appears frequently in every page) 3) each transaction is in 2 lines- need it to be in one line PAGE ROSANA ALAM 36422299601017 FINANCE CONTROLLER 30/03/10 MICROSOFT GULF FZE LLC MICROSOFT STAFF 1 P O BOX 52244 DUBAI AGN CODE:01 AGN NAME :DNATA TEMPORARY STATEMENT FOR MARCH 2010 DATE TICKET TRAN...