Locating a file in excel with a partial file name. #2

I have been runnimg with Office 2000 with which when I go to open a file in
excel I am able to enter a partial file name, any part of the file name, to
search for the file I wish to open.  I am finding in Excel 2002 this function
does not apprear to exsit, only the function where it will search for the
fille that starts with what your typing will appear once its narrowed it down
to the first of a few possible options.

I require the ability to be able to just go to the file open icon in excel
and on the file name line be able to typr the last few chararacters of a file
name to find the file I want.

Has this function been removed from Excell 2002?
0
Audra (7)

In xl2003, I can type a partial string and hit enter and only those files
containing that string will show in the File|open dialog.

I _thought_ that I had to type something like this in xl2002:

*ook*
hit enter
to see all the filenames that contain "ook"

You may find doing that less of an annoyance.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Money 2005 SB can't open Money 2004 File
Hello all, I just upgrade Money 2004 to 2005, both Small Business version. I have 2 money files, one created in 2004 the other created in Money 98 and upgraded every year till 2004. The first one gets converted to 2005 without any problem. But the 2nd one can't be converted. Money 2005 said it is either locked or protected or corrupt. But it has no problem at all in 2004 I've tried to delete all accounts in this file but one to elimilate causes of problems but still have no luck. Can anybody help? I can even post this file here if the group accept bin upload. Thanks in advance Howard...

Named Range in a External File Formula
I have a simple VBA program that when run, looks at a date in a particular cell and updates 6 named ranges with specific file names it uses based off of that days date. I have a folder for every day of the week and inside there are 6 exactly named files: "Tech Name - Service Log - Date.xls" (Date is in mm-dd-yyyy format) The named ranges are "TechName1File, TechName2File, ect...." How do I make this work: After successfully running the macro to fill the named ranges, the named ranges will look like this: Named Range: TechName1File = \\Server\Folder\Folder\<Year>\...

DPM 2010 RC co-locate SQL Server
I'm creating a protection group for SQL Server 2005 SP3 (CU8) with DPM 2010 RC. I have about 15-20 small databases and about 10-15 larger databases. When I create the protection group the option to co-locate is checked (and not gray), but when the protection group is created I end up with many 10gb disk partitions. Isn't co-location supposed to prevent that? I read that the default for co-location is 30 databases (how do I increase that?) so I tried hand picking the larger databases from the list rather than the auto option and only using those in my protection group....

Cannot create link for object word doc. Link to file greyed out
I am trying to do the following in a calendar in Outlook 2007. Insert Object (inserting a linkable Word document into the Calendar) Create from File (I select the file and it shows its path on the network) Link to File is greyed out Does anyone know why the Link to File is greyed out. Thanks, Crazyhorse ...

Chart Location
Hi, How to specify the location of a chart in a sheet (The sheet contains 4 charts).The chart location should vary dynamically depending on the values associated with it. Thanks and Regards, Sumathi Sumathi - You need to specify the coordinates and dimensions of the chart's parent chart object, in pixels. With ActiveChart.Parent '' or With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1) .Top = 50 .Left = 50 .Height = 175 .Width = 225 End With - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTe...

Location Location Location? No, Traffic Traffic Traffic! #9
Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this to be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. This will pay us for years to come as it is the first �Wave� of the NEW I...

Where are the backup files?
I am using Money Deluxe 2006 (for investment transaction only) in Windows 7 Home Premium. The Money folder in Program Files doesn't show the current backups. Where is Windows 7 hiding them? In microsoft.public.money, tedhopkins wrote: >I am using Money Deluxe 2006 (for investment transaction only) in Windows 7 >Home Premium. The Money folder in Program Files doesn't show the current >backups. Where is Windows 7 hiding them? The backups are put where you specify in Tools->Settings->BackupSettings I suggest checking x Automatically backup my Money...

connection DDE with MS Excel
Help!!!! Who able is to resolve this problem? Premise: I am not an expert of Excel and I am using a problem of mailing to resolve it trying to contain the costs. Going for degrees: 1) I have created in excel a data base; 2) I have created in word a letter type; 3) then with mail merge etc. etc. PROBLEM All worked to the perfection, thin to a blackout. I launch the file word for the mail merge and during to load the file in excel this it appears "Bastard" message: "Impossible to reestablish a connection DDE with Microsoft Excel to complete the operation." Q...

View Custom Toolbar in Excel 2007
I have an Excel 2003 file that contains a custom toolbar. In Excel 2003 the custom toolbar is displayed and I can just click the buttons on that toolbar to run my macros. When I open the file in Excel 2007 I can find no way to display that custom toolbar. In fact, the only way that I have found to access my macros is to go into View Macros and run them that way, which isn't going to cut it. Is there a way in Excel 2007 to re-create the Excel 2003 functionality, perhaps by building a custom ribbon and putting buttons for my macros on that ribbon? I just need some way to make the...

How to accomodate the blankspaces in a file
Hi Continuing with the file and read/write aspect, i would like to know 1. When i get data from many edit boxes into a file i get data that has been obtained via GetWindowText I would like to get the whole data ie including the Blankspaces say An address has a MAX value of 30 char but in my edit box i give only 10 char, i need to add the BLANKSPACES into the Text file where iam storing it..///....How do i do that??? CString Item; m_Edit.GetWindowText(Item); //truncate everything past 30 chars Item = Item.Left(30); //now if Item has less than 30 chars then //this line will add as many spa...

insert the last date when the file was modifie
Dear all; This should be an easy one for you ; I work on spreadsheets daily and then save them to refer to them later or update them. What I would like to achieve is : When I actually work on a spreadsheet - i want to insert the date of the day only when the data changed or update the contents of the worksheet. i mean what i am trying to achieve is insert the last date in a specefic cell when that the file was modified (upadted-cahnge of contents) Is there perhaps any way to do this I thank you for your help and your offers Hi Chetoos. Take a look at Mr. McGimpsey's site: ht...

excel shortcut to outlook email
Can I have a link in an Excel spreadsheet to an Outlook email, to open it when clicked, Dragging only copies. Right mouse button dragging provides a context menu to Create Shortcut here but it doesn't seem to paste anything when selected. Anyone know how this is done? To a particular Outlook message? Or to create a new message?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookco...

Macro location
I have a file called PERSONAL.XLS that contains all my macros.It is located in STRARTXLS I had reason to copy that file and an other Excel file to drive A(Floppy) Now every time I try to run a macro the computer looks to drive A. How can I stop this ? Thanks -- Norton Virus checker 2003 says this email is clean First off, you should never copy files from Excel to a floppy - it gives too many problems because of the way Excel uses its temporary file. The file can get corrupted. Save to our hard drive and copy from there. The change of location is "a feature not a bug" <grin>...

date in excel #2
Hi, I'm trying to solve a problem... If I put "x" in A1 I would like for excel to set date and time in A2 when I put "x", B1 -> B2, ...., and so on. NOW() does not work because every time I close and open excel it recalculates. Is there a formula to set cell date and time without excel refreshing it on reopen, without using "manual calculations", and possible without macros and VBA? Thanks, MS! In article <j3b35d$1u9$1@sunce.iskon.hr>, MySelf.2001 at REMOVEmyself.2001 @gmail.com says... > > Hi, > I'm trying to solve a problem......

Invalid Domain Name. Domain name invalid or unreachable #2
Hi, I am getting following error in MS CRM 4.0 when using Deployment Manager: "Invalid Domain Name. Domain name is either invalid or unreachable". Also when using the Plug-in registration tool, I am getting the same error. And I am not able to register any plug-in. Request you to please provide your inputs. Thanks in advance, help appreciated. Bharat On this posting there is some code to help you list the domains active from the machine you wish to install CRM 4.0 on. create this inside a .vbs file and run it using cscript from the system32 folder and it listed mine correctl...

Jet 4.0 SP4 or 5 Upgrade and NTDLL.DLL missing file
Following Tony Towes suggesting for better performance in A2k, While tring to upgrade my jet by downloadin the file Windows2000-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe from the net I get an error NTDLL.DLL missing. What can i do??? "Chedva" <chedvag@matrix-it.co.il> wrote: >Following Tony Towes suggesting for better performance in A2k, > >While tring to upgrade my jet by downloadin the file >Windows2000-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe from the net I get an error NTDLL.DLL >missing. What can i do??? Are you in fact running Windows 2000? Otherwise this could be a virus or something else...

Packager cannot package empty files
Packager cannot package empty files.. This message is a new one to me, just showing up when I'm trying to insert a clip art image into a Publisher document. Doesn't happen with ALL clips -- what can I do to fix it? (Have been using Publisher for years - currently running 2007) I'm getting that same problem on my work computer. Outlook, Word, Excel - and like you, not every time, not every day. I wish I had an answer for you. This started last week for me. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies&qu...

Auto emailing files
Hi I have a file I've created in excel. It is linked to an external database. It has some data, a table and graph. I need to send this to various people every monday. How do I update the data in the excel table that I made, overwrite the previous file and evey monday send this attachment to some people. Hoping to do all this automaticaly. Keep in mind that I've never writen a batch file or anything like that. Thank you in advance, Mike zderos@hotmail.com <zderos@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a file I've created in excel. It is linked to an external > database...

PST files causing freezing
using Windows ME. I have maybe 7,000 msgs in Outlook. Spaced out among many archive folders (jan-march 03, march-may03 etc.) The other day I backed everything up to a PST and it did it fine. However, now it is causing some problems when I try to use OUtlook. In my folders list, I can see the "Personal Folders" list at the top, but when I try to click on it (or if I try to import or export), the entire system freezes up. It then takes about 3 reboots to even get Outlook to open back up. I've tried opening it in safe mode and the same thing happens. I can use Outloo...

Location Availability
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to setup a location or user for a location so that when people schedule meetings they can see if the area they want to hold the meeting in is available. For example we have a meeting room and a showroom, so I want people to be able to check the availability of these rooms directly in outlook when creating a meeting request. Thank you. I've seen it done with Outlook -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Tim" <Myemail@here.com> wrote in message news:11n7egikgheercc@corp.supernews.com... > Can anyone tell me if it i...

How do I calculate total weekly hours for payroll in Excel?
I'm having a heck of a time with this...I tried using some of the other suggestions posted but nothing is working for me. For each employee I have a start time and an end time (ex: start 8:00 am - end 2:30 pm). I need to calculate the total hours worked for each employee weekly. I know there must be a simple formula out there somewhere, please help me! Hi, Laura. Try this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/adding_or_summing_time_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "laura6201" <laura6201@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Save multiple files as RTF files on C drive ?
I need to save about 2000 e-mails that are in my inbox to my C drive as individual RTF files. I know how to open them one by one and do a FILE-SAVE AS, but I am looking for a way to select them all at once or import them all at once into 2000 individual RTF files on my C drive. I tried selecting all the e-mails and doing a File-Save As, but it puts them all into one big TXT file on the C drive. What I need is for them to each be sent into an individual file. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

Backing up PST-file
I'm currently using Outlook 2003 and thinking of changing to 2007. As a precaution, I copied my PST file to a different location and then set about testing this by opening Outlook. I navigated to the location where the back up was and clicked to open it. After a while I got a message saying "Run-time error. Do you want to debug?" or similar. I clicked no and the folders seemed okay. When I repeated the file open process it led me to the back-up location. I then reversed back to the default location and got the same message, again clicking no. Question 1: Do I hav...

How do you check out a file from a link
I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When I open the file the option to 'check out the file' does not appear at the top of my screen. This function does work for a word document in the same library. Please can you advise. Thanks With your browser, go to the Library where the document is located and check out from there. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 16/04/10 15:44, Tracey T wrote: > I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When > I open the file the option to 'check out the fi...

excel sheet tabs #3
Cna you make the tab in an excel workbook change to the file name you save it as? Can this be done automatically when saving instead of manually doing it? When you save a workbook, you can save it as the existing name or a new name. If you save it as a new name, then you could ask for the new name and process the rename yourself. Another option would be to let the user save it, then get the name later. But this would leave the workbook unsaved. (So hit the save button right away (or add it to the code???). Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to have the workbook name and ...