linking to external file based on cell value

Hello folks,

I am wondering if it is possible to set up a link within
excel that references an external file using a cell value
in the main spreadsheet.

For example:

this is the current setup
=[expense_allocation.xls]Jan04!$G$5

instead of the Jan04 in the link, I would like a cell
reference

I tried this but it does not seem to work:

="[expense_allocation.xls]" & A1 & "!$G$5"

where A1 = Jan04

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
0
anonymous (74718)

Hi Jason,
Instead of typing it in, open up both files and select each cell as you're
creating the formula to make sure all the references are valid as it seems
at first look that the ! and " marks in your formula are incorrect.  It will
probably also make a reference to the name of the sheet that A1 is on.

=[expense_allocation.xls]" & A1 & "!$G$5

should probably be something like....
=[expense_allocation.xls]Sheet1! A1 & $G$5

Rob

"Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello folks,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to set up a link within
> excel that references an external file using a cell value
> in the main spreadsheet.
>
> For example:
>
> this is the current setup
> =[expense_allocation.xls]Jan04!$G$5
>
> instead of the Jan04 in the link, I would like a cell
> reference
>
> I tried this but it does not seem to work:
>
> ="[expense_allocation.xls]" & A1 & "!$G$5"
>
> where A1 = Jan04
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Hi Jason
you can use INDIRECT for this
=INDIRECT("'[expense_allocation.xls]" & A1 & "'!$G$5")
note the multiple apostrophes: " ' [ and " ' !

This will work only, if the workbook expense_allocation.xls is open. If
it is closed see
http://tinyurl.com/2c62u
for 4 alternative solutions

Frank

Jason wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to set up a link within
> excel that references an external file using a cell value
> in the main spreadsheet.
>
> For example:
>
> this is the current setup
> =[expense_allocation.xls]Jan04!$G$5
>
> instead of the Jan04 in the link, I would like a cell
> reference
>
> I tried this but it does not seem to work:
>
> ="[expense_allocation.xls]" & A1 & "!$G$5"
>
> where A1 = Jan04
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

Running total from an edited cell
I want to keep a running total of inventory as follows: On Hand This Shipment Quan Updated Part # 1 10 5 update this column on each new shipment Part # 2 15 10 Part # 3 20 30 I will not be adding lines, just updating the "this shipment" cell for each part# I am using Excel 2007 Please help ! See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <9104B5C3-CD46-460E-A939-C2B1EA736D42@microsoft.com>, MacPack2 <MacPack2@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Linked Forms

how to know the reason of a failure of file opening?
Hi, After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whether it fails because the target file is used by other programs? Your help is appreciated. Tony ::GetLastError() will return the error code. ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED can indicate several types of access failures, but I believe it is the code returned if the file is opened exclusive already (it doesn't have to be another program; even trying to open it a second time in your own app will fail) joe On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:39:52 -0700, May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote: >Hi, > >After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whethe...

Is the file lph.dll a legit file by Ms for Office 2007?
I bought several MS Office Prof 2007 via ebay from different vendors - they came boxed with all the expected labels, security flags, holograms and imprints. When trying to install one, my Hips popped up alerting me to a file. Uploading this file lph.dll to virustotal shows that 7 out 41 AV consider the file a trojan/malware. I contacted MS support re the first file I received and was told that the license number was legit but did not get any answer re the lph.dll issue. Does anyone know what this file does, why some AV consider it malware (could be a FP) and in particular i...

Links not linking

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

CRM for a service based business
Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to proceed ? Have installed CRM on a trial basis and found it does just about everything required. Other than the fact that most of our work revolves around 3rd party maintenance ie our customers send us to sites (which may be other customers or end user sites) to do work. There appears to be no simple way to attach a site to a case which is not the site of that customer. Tried to add the account field to the case view but cannot do that as a lookup. I suspect this requires unsupported modification to CRM. If someone thinks otherwise or has a suggestion ...

how do i set up drop down menus to populate cells in excel?
Hi, I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view of access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to type it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to the file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel??? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: h...

end of file reached
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp <br> any ideas what this error is ? <br> and how to cure On 1/27/10 9:56 AM, in article 59bb1b90.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "markc0@officeformac.com" <markc0@officeformac.com> wrote: > when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp > any ideas what this error is ? > and how to cure The file that has reached it's end is often the preferences file. Move the 'Microsoft...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

How do I import OE .dbx files into outlook?
Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important OE .dbx files. How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can access the content? Simon wrote: > Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important > OE .dbx files. > > How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can > access the content? Why do you no longer have OE on the old machine that crashed that we are to assume where you will reinstall the same version of Windows that before had OE? See http...

Copy-Paste Value based on user defined range
Hello, I am trying to create an option such that, the user can input a default value in one cell, enter a start year, and the number of years he wants to assign this value for. Ex. A B C 1 Value Start Year # of Years 2 500 2005 5 Apply 500 starting in 2005 for the next five years including 2005. I am working in Excel2000. Thanks for your help ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

problem carrying over values
I have one form that has a button I''ll call it form1. The button looks at a text box for an ID and if its null it opens form2 and creates a new record in form2. If the text box is NOT null, it will go find the ID that's in the text box and filter it in form2. When the new record is created in form2, I need the ID to be put into the NULL text box in form1. I know how to do this however, if you open form2 on its own, then the error msg comes up that it can't find form1. I know why I'm getting this error, but don't know the fix for it. Is there a work around? Thanks...

links

Knowledge Base Little to be Desired
I don't know if it's just me but I can never find anything I can use to fix my issues in the knowledge base, ever since I started using it before 2000. On top of that according to the site and my maintenance aggreement I should be getting replies on my posts here within 2 days but never do. I'm going to give this one a shot. My issue today is that I have a Invoice from a vendor that needs to be paid. When I go to auto invoice the PO doesn't show up for that Vendor. If I try to input it manually it says that it's already been invoiced. This is not the case, ho...

OPENING FILE
I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AND CAN IT BE FIXED? find someone with xl2002 - this has a built in repair facility. You file has probably become corrupted. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy RUSS KING <WRCING2@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:03d201c36ab0$c7ba2780$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR > OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY > HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AN...

Colour cells in Task pane.
Much like one can do in Ms Excel, I would like to colour the cells, as in the Task Panes. Is this possible? If so how? Highlight the cells you want to ad color to in your table then click on the little bucket at the top "Volcanic" wrote: > Much like one can do in Ms Excel, I would like to colour the cells, as in the > Task Panes. Is this possible? If so how? > ...

can I display the file name of the imported text file in another c
When I refresh data and select a file I would like that file name displayed in another cell because within the file name is a date & time stamp relating to the contents. For example if the imported filename is count_200505110035.csv then I want a cell in the worksheet to display count_200505110035.csv. Any ideas welcomed please? ...

Links

Copying large formulas, external references?
I have worksheets that refer to a external file for the current month. When I copy the worksheet it refers to that same months file instead of the current one that I want.I need to update the formula from month to month, how do I do that? I think edit/Links will allow you to change as you wish On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:34:51 -0700, "Kamila" <waihik@sovpet.com.au> wrote: >I have worksheets that refer to a external file for the >current month. >When I copy the worksheet it refers to that same months >file instead of the current one that I want.I need to >upd...

How do you customise CRM 4.0 Help file
In CRM 3.0 you could customise the help file for the specific organisation. How to do this in CRM 3.0 is avaliable at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa681364.aspx How do you customise CRM 4.0 Help file I'm sure I've seen it in the SDK for v4 "B" <B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69432EDD-6D5E-4AE5-B90C-66CA1AF9E7FD@microsoft.com... > In CRM 3.0 you could customise the help file for the specific > organisation. > How to do this in CRM 3.0 is avaliable at > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa681364.aspx > > H...

converting cell data / opposite?
Hello Excel gurus... I have a cell/column containing a persons name: John Doe I'd like to convert cell/column to read: Doe, John What formula is used in order to make this happen? I've tried left/right/len commands out the wazzoo (technical word) - I give... uncle.... Any help? Jorge Hi Jorge in another cell use =RIGHT(C14,FIND(" ",C14)-1) &", " & LEFT(C14,FIND(" ",C14)) where C14 has the original data in it Cheers JulieD "Jorge" <czar1259@netscape.net> wrote in message news:10k0ptons6i6e4c@corp.supernews.com... > Hell...