Linking to a Password Protected Document in Excel 2000

I have a document that is password protected. I also have a file that
references the protected files for many of the its formulas. Each time I open
the file and update the links I am prompted multiple times (once for each
cell reference to the protected file) for the password. Is there any setting
so that a user is only prompted once for the password to a reference file
that is protected?

I know that one option is just to copy the tabs from my referencing file
into the protected file, but it would be nice to keep the documents separate.

Thanks,
Andrew
0
Andrew3569 (322)

One option might be to disable the prompt for the links.  Go to Tools\Options
and click on the Edit tab.  Deselect the "Ask to update automatic links"
checkbox.

"Andrew" wrote:

> I have a document that is password protected. I also have a file that
> references the protected files for many of the its formulas. Each time I open
> the file and update the links I am prompted multiple times (once for each
> cell reference to the protected file) for the password. Is there any setting
> so that a user is only prompted once for the password to a reference file
> that is protected?
>
> I know that one option is just to copy the tabs from my referencing file
> into the protected file, but it would be nice to keep the documents separate.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
0
Chad9044 (93)
2/14/2005 7:45:02 PM
Another option is to open all those password protected workbooks, then open the
"real" workbook.

saved from a previous post:

Maybe you could create a macro that would open all those workbooks first.

Your macro would supply both the workbook's name and password.

Then after all these workbooks are open, you could open the file that contains
the links.

Kind of like:

option explict
sub auto_open()
dim wkbk1 as workbook
dim wkbk2 as workbook
dim wkbk3 as workbook

set wkbk1 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\a.xls",password:="one")
set wkbk2 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\b.xls",password:="two")
set wkbk3 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\c.xls",password:="three")

'wkbk3 is the real one!

wkbk1.close savechanges:=false
wkbk2.close savechanges:=false
'thisworkbook.close savechanges:=false
end sub

(I'd create a 4th workbook that opens the files in order and just closes the
first 2 and then itself.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Excel Startup Error
When I click on a excel document the computer hangs for about 2 seconds, then opens excel with no document displayed. If I first ope excel (click on the .exe) and then open a dcoument, no problem. I als have the same issue with Word. Have tried repairing Office installation, removing and reinstallin excell, deleted all .xla files - nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance -- philale ----------------------------------------------------------------------- philalex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1537 View ...

Excel 2007 painfully slow to open files
Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) files by double clicking either the file or a shortcut. If I have Excel open and go through the ribbon menu to open the file from within Excel it opens immediately - it is only slow when opening a file via shortcut or double clicking the file with Excel closed. Is there a fix for this? Wowbagger wrote: > Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am > finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) f...

URGENT : How to get CHECKBOX object value from a Excel Worksheet by a C# Class
As subject... I wanna get the value of some Visual Basic Object (Checkbox) in a Excel Worksheet by calling a C# class / VB.NET class.... May I ask for advice ??? What I got ....only Excel application, workbook, worksheet....and so on... Excel.Application excelApp = new Excel.ApplicationClass(); Excel.Workbook excelWorkbook; Excel.Sheets excelSheets; Excel.Worksheet excelWorksheet ; I am not familiar with c#, however the checkbox objects parent is the worksheet. For example in VBA Worksheets("sheet2").CheckBox1.Value - contains the "checked" indicator You i...

Dissappearing Excel
How do I keep my excel session showing after i hyperlink to anothe program ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try changing something in that workbook before you click on the link. If excel thinks the file is dirty (changed since last save), then it won't close. sunroyal wrote: > > How do I keep my excel session showing after i hyperlink to another > program? > > ------------------------------------------------ > ~~ Message posted from...

Linking cell in Excel to Folder in Outlook 2000
I have a contact list in Outlook that I wish to link to from Excel 2000 D:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\OUTLOOK.EXE /select outlook:173 works perfectly from the RUN command. However, using the Hyperlink command in cell formatting does not. My wife runs a parking lot and needs to be able to click on a parking space, say 201 in Excel and have the clients contact information come up from Outlook. In this case the folder 173 contains all the information on a block of contacts 173 to 210. 173 is by default a .xnt file but Excel doesn't by default appear to be able to deal with one. Any ideas ? I obvio...

scrolling through a document in Publisher 2003
Why can't I scroll within my document with my mouse? I can scroll if the mouse is anywhere in the borders, toolbars, or scrollbars - or if i hold down the shift button, but I can't scroll within the document!! Publisher 2000, word 2003, and my friend's copy of publisher 2003 scrolls within the document - why can't I??? Any guidance would be appreciated :-) Your issue is with your hardware, not Publisher. Do you have this issue with all Publisher files? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "vicki" <vicki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Export Fields in Design View of Access to Excel
Is there a way to take the fields in the Design view of a MS Access table (Field Name, Data Type and Description) and export that or copy and past it to excel? So for example, as we create our tables, we have Field Name Owner Data Type Text Description Owner of the Contact How could I export that...not the actual data in those fields but the field properties essentially? Did that make sense? Dano On Aug 21, 3:32 pm, SteveM <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Curious...why would you want to do that? > > You can get these field properties through VBA and then use ...

Foreign fonts (special characters) not shown in word/excel
Hi! I work a lot with Hungarian translations at the moment. There are 2 characters that are not shown in office documents (neither 98 nor 2001). The characters missing are the "o" and "u" with "Doppel-Akut". Their unicodes are 337 and 369. The characters are shown without any problem on the PC. We need to put the Hungarian translations into QuarkXpress. Even if I copy the text out of a PDF the characters are already missing in the clipboard. Apparently, there is an Office multilanguage kit for Mac that installs the Arial font completely new so that all characte...

re-enter password....
Why must I all of the sudden have to re-enter (sometimes multiple times) my password everyday on startup of Outlook 2007? Dennis <dhud64@hotmail.com> wrote: > Why must I all of the sudden have to re-enter (sometimes multiple > times) my password everyday on startup of Outlook 2007? Type of account? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] Sorry, it's a Hotmail account that it checks. "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OSvcwU3KIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Dennis <dhud64@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> Why must I all of...

Importing Excel file without server access
I'm automating the process of emailing query results as an Excel file attachment to one recipeint. The recipient will complete data in the Excel file. My problem is that our company will not give this person access to our server, therefore he cannot upload his updated Excel file to one of our drives where I can then access it, import and update my table. There is nobody that he can email the file to either. I believe, however, that he'll have access to unpload a file to our company's SIFT site. Is there a way, through automation, that I can then import the file from ...

Open the Linked Table Manager from Button (?)
Is there a way to open the Linked Table Manager from a button click? -- Thanks, croy croy wrote: >Is there a way to open the Linked Table Manager from a >button click? DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdLinkedTableManager Even if that does what you ask, you should never expose thw link table manager to users. If they are not experts in linking tables, they can make a serious mess of things. Way better for you to use code to do the (re)linking based on a user selected file path. To select file/path see: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm Then to relink the ta...

Excel Image not displayed when the physical file is N/A
Hello there, I'm having a problem on images that's generated from excel. I'm using the url method to generate the excel file and I'm aware that the images are stored in a physical location and the images won't be able to be displayed if the physical file is not available. I'm able to display the images out when the excel report is generated; however, when we save it as the default xls extension file, and open it in another location, the images are not displayed, as only the physical file path is being stored in the excel file. I've tested it on a c...

Outlook 2000 and RPC over HTTP?
Is RPC over HTTP supported by Outlook 2000? Is RPC over HTTP supported by Exchange Server prior to 2003 (i.e., 2000, 5.5)? Or, another way to ask: Must I use Exchange Server 2003, and Outlook 2003 to accomplish RPC over HTTP? Thanks, Thomas PS: Most webcast and literature state things a in way where I think the answer is 2003 only (for both OL and Exch), but it would be nice if a KB article said "not support" on prior version. FYI. Unless, of course, it's support on those version in which case I'd say that doesn't come across.... ahh, ain't marketing literature w...

Linking to a Document or Presentation
I have been having some difficulty establishing a hyperlink to a document or presentation. When in hte design mode i hit CTRL and the hyperlink and the Document opens fine. When i preview the web page i hit the link and nothing happens. I should note that when i link to a web site it works fine. It is just when trying to launch an applicaiton like word. Finally, i noticed in the source that the link address is preceeded by "File:\\\ Any ideas ...

Suggestion to Database in Excel
I have 120 equal format files about hospital produces in cities. example: group files.xls are territories files name City item peoples A item01 100 B item02 183 item03 432 Total C item04 34 Are you send oppinion about I imagine create a big database with import from 120 files .xls to analysing... territory | city | item | people 1 A 01 100 1 B 02 183 1 B 03 432 .... 3 A 01 343 3 A 02 433 Question, also ex...

Excel formats
Problem: changing numeric values into text vales then adding a space into the text cell, to take the place of the"," to denote thousands, move the "$" to the end and change the "." to a comma, ex: $1,896,230.00 once changed to a text value becomes "1896230.00", result I require is "1 896 230,00 $" A number of Financial values across multiple spreadsheets require this type of formatting. If this can be done as a macro or formula, that would be most helpful. -- Keith Dore The only thing I can think of is a CASE statement in VBA.........w...

Excel 2007 Installation Question
I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007 Version)... What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)? I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC). Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this installation or direct me to a website that might do the same? Many thanks in advance. Mark Ivey Just a little more clarification on my request... What I would like is the Excel XP versi...

How do I project monthly income in Excel?
If I want to project my income or cost for Nov. or Dec. and have values in the other months, how can I project what my income or cost would be for November or December based on the other months? A lot of this depends on the nature of your income and / or expenses, which may change from month to month. For instance, your heating expense bill will increase in winter and decrease in summer. Your summer vacation expenses go up in summer (duh) and decrease in winter. When I have to do this work I try to base it on the key drivers for the particular expense. For instance, in a previous life ...

Excel 2007
Anyone else had problems with Excel 2007 corrupting workbooks when using the Analysis Toolpak. All formulae requiring the toolpak are replaced with #N/A (ie XIRR, EDATE). Man, this sucks. Congratulations MS on releasing a "Professional" version of your software that is so much less easy to use than the old version. Charts look nice (although with some of the most useful features removed), but the menus SUCK. Hide the ribbon and use keyboard shortcuts and you might as well use the mouse because the ribbon has to be displayed each time you use the keyboard shortcuts. Excel 2007 su...

Problem opening office xp excel files
Hi all, I have office xp and when I click on an excel file, Excel will run bu it doesn't open the file, it leaves it empty and gray. Problem goe away if I do file, open, filename. Can anybody help? This problem happens to all my excel files, not just a particular one Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Tools / Options / General / If 'Ignore other Applications' is checked then uncheck it. -- Regards Ken..........................

how do I turn off requesting scan when opening Excel (Office XP)
Whenever I start Excel, it takes awhile as a message appears in the status line indicating "requesting virus scan". I have three trusted add-ins which I use which contain macros, and have reduced macro security level to "lowest", but cannot stop this action from occurring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the Office Plugin that comes with it. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more information. ch...

Removing the "broom" that pops-up in Excel
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? The broom appears after I copy/paste a row. The broom allows me to change formatting, but it gets in my way and I can't see the cells beneath it. Frustrating! Tools|options|Edit tab uncheck show paste option buttons (and anything else you want disabled) LynnMcolorado wrote: > > Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? The broom appears after I > copy/paste a row. The broom allows me to change formatting, but it gets in > my way and I can't see the cells beneath it. > Frustrating! -- Dave Peterson ...

Send a Check Out Link?
When I right-click a document in SharePoint and select Copy Shortcut, the resulting link opens a read only copy when pasted into an e-mai. Is there a way to send a shortcut via e-mail that gives the recipient the option to check the document out rather than automatically opening a read only copy? For those who might be interested, I found the answer: 1. Click the down arrow that appears when you hover over a document 2. Click View Properties 3. Right-click Check Out 4. Select Copy Shortcut 5. Paste the shortcut into your message ...

Excel temp files in network dir
I have users that are accessing a network shares to their excel files. I often see files that are 8 characters long Ex(D8710B20) and without extensions, left over in their dir. I have read MS article 814068 and understand that these are created during the save function; however, i have ruled out permissions and antivirus as the cause. These files consume a lot of network space. Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. Delete them? "les" <les.becker@ifcosystems.com> wrote in message news:242501c37332$34e6b600$a601280a@phx.gbl... : I have users that are accessing...

Link cell to axis maximum and mininum
Hi I have a big number of charts that I would like to change the X-axis maximun and minimum values in an easy way. It would be perfect just to asign e.g. the maximum value to a worksheet cell. Is it possible in any other way to change the chart axis max and min value for more than one chart at a time Best Regard Peter Hi have a look at the following site for an add-in that will achieve this http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peter wrote: > Hi, > > I have a big number of charts that I would like to change the...