Linking drop down boxes

I'm attempting to create a form where I have a number of columns of dro
down boxes of lists.
I have one column where I have created drop down boxes linked to a mai
list. Each item of the main list has a separate "daughter" list.
Each "daughter" list is different.
In the form, I want the adjacent column related to the main list dro
down choices to contain a drop down list of the relevant "daughter
information only; in other words, when one item from the main list dro
down box is selected, the choices in the adjacent drop down list mus
relate to the selected main list item only.
:confused:
Can anyone please tell me how this may be achieved?
(currently, I'm using Excel 2000, but will also use Excel 2003, in cas
this is relevant.

--
zaik
zaika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1590

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to use Data|Validation and dependent lists
at:

Maybe you can use some of her techniques.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

1.  The basics

2.  Create dependent lists.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:07:05 -0500, zaika <zaika.1ey0en@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote:

>I'm attempting to create a form where I have a number of columns of drop
>down boxes of lists.
>I have one column where I have created drop down boxes linked to a main
>list. Each item of the main list has a separate "daughter" list.
>Each "daughter" list is different.
>In the form, I want the adjacent column related to the main list drop
>down choices to contain a drop down list of the relevant "daughter"
>information only; in other words, when one item from the main list drop
>down box is selected, the choices in the adjacent drop down list must
>relate to the selected main list item only.
>:confused:
>Can anyone please tell me how this may be achieved?
>(currently, I'm using Excel 2000, but will also use Excel 2003, in case
>this is relevant.)

0
Gord

Easy way to find a link?
Is there a quick easy way to find a link in a workbook that has 50 pages? The best is to use the LINK feature in Excel and if necessary to combine it with the FIND REPLACE tool. To see how to do this you can go to http://www.auditexcel.co.za/othertools.html and watch the video clips for External Links and Find Replace. Hope that helps "LSchmitz" wrote: > Is there a quick easy way to find a link in a workbook that has 50 pages? > > > Is it a link to another workbook? If yes, then I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Defa...

paste special keep odbc link
I often use worksheets returning the result of a query, with sometimes a huge number of rows/cells and formulas. In order to work easily on the result without having Excel still re-calculating the formulas or querying the database, I copy/special paste the result into a new workbook. There should be no link anymore and the last example I have is a sheet with +/- 2000 rows, no formulas, no odbc, but which still weights 7 Mo and needs a anormal delay when browsing from one cell to another ... as if there still was something else than just my datas !!!! How can I just have my datas and browse in...

How do I type in a web-link?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When signing an email, sometimes I want to add my website address as a clickable weblink. I thought that i used to do this by simply typing the address and hitting return, this doesn't seem to work, though. What should I do? It works in Word, but not in Entourage. Links become clickable if the message is viewed by the recipient, but it does not show up as such in the Compose window. If you type your message and hit the Send Later button, you will find the message, complete with clickable hyperlinks, in your outbox. ...

Rotating Text Boxes on a Chart
Excel won't let me rotate text boxes in my pie chart. When I go to do it the rotate buttons are greyed out. Also I can't figure out how to add text the curves with the outside of the pie chart. Please help! Thanx! Hi Jeff, You won't be able to rotate textboxes. If they are really data labels you can alter their alignment. But they won't curve. If you want text to wrap around the pie you could try using word art. Although a pie with more than a few slices will probably result in text not appearing next to the slice. Jeff wrote: > Excel won't let me rotate...

How do I get rid of/refresh the browsed pages links in the hyperli
It's driving me nuts just to find one link. Ig I could clear it up once in a while that would be cool. thanks for the help. :) In Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "adumbledore" <adumbledore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04FCEF52-5F12-43CB-B0D1-B093AEA91A23@microsoft.com... > It's driving me nuts just to find one link. Ig I could clear it up once in a > while that would be cool. thanks for the help. :) ...

How can I move multiple linked workbooks between computers
without having to define the links? I would guess that if they'er all in the same folder, you could just copy them and paste them into a single folder. If the files were in separate folders, then I'd open each in excel, save them to one folder and copy them to one folder on the recipient pc. But that could even be more work than just Edit|Links???? TAG wrote: > > without having to define the links? -- Dave Peterson Dave, Thanks for your reply. Each of the files are in separate folders. I would be easier to copy than the edit links because each file has multiple lin...

objects created in 2002 (2000 format) not avail in 2000 boxes
I have created a new query and report in an Access 2000 database. This is the first modification since my PC was upgraded to 2002. The database is still in 2000 format (according to the banner). Other users, however, do not see the newly created query or report? (They are Access 2000) Any suggestions? TIA, tj Hi, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. Is this database in a shared folder that multiple people can access, or did you create your own copy of the database? Maybe you are using the wrong file. Verify that the file is in 2000 forma...

What is a drop down menu?
If i'm not mistaken those are the menues on the menu bar that drop down from the top. "ladybug" <ladybug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45866F12-FE09-4AAB-9EF3-C9987392E884@microsoft.com... > ...

Linking multiple excel sheets
Hi I have a question... I am computing a lot of data in Sheet A. I want to make some of the formulas keep a main tally on Sheet B, how do I go about doing this? Put bluntly, how do I allow data to flow from seperate indivdual excel sheets? (Cell in Sheet A) = (Cell in Sheet B) + (Cell in Sheet B) xteven, In the cell on Sheet A ='Sheet B'!A1 + 'Sheet B'!B1 The above will add cells A1 & B1 on Sheet B Take special note of the apostrophies surrounding the sheet name. Looking literally at your example, if you have a space in the sheet name, you have to put apostrophies ...

Creating Links to Custom Views in the SItemap
Hi, I have been trying all morning to edit the site map to create links on the left nav to point to some custom views I have set up. I have different views of accounts like Current Customers, Past Customers etc and want to be able to create a link in the left nav to go straight to these views. I have tried inserting the following code in my site map but when I try to upload it MS CRM complains that it is an invalid file. It is the params that appear to be the problem as a link to www.google.com works fine. Am I trying to achieve something that is not possible or am I doing something wrong? &l...

Deleting shortcut key In Recording new Macros dialog box
I have recorded several new Macros and I am running out of shortcut key letters to put into the shortcut key box within the Record a new Macro dialog box. How could I delete the shortcut keys that I have already used to reuse again to record new Macros? One way: Choose Tools/Macro/Macros... Select a macro for which you want to delete the shortcut. Click Options... Clear the shortcut key input box. Click OK, then Cancel. In article <9DC795B4-1EBE-4685-94DF-CD79ABEAF45D@microsoft.com>, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recorded several new Macros ...

bad links
I did some formulas with figuers from other files. the problem is tha when i open the sheet the links to the other documents don't wor anymore. i have to open the source sheets so that the figuers appear how can i make the links work even if the source sheets are no opend??? Thx, Ovidi -- Ovidi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ovidiu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2732 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46820 do your links have the path to the file, the file name and ...

A Static linked control problem
Hello Everyone, I have a problem with static-linked library in my MFC based project. The structure of the projects is like this: MainControl project contains MainControl.cpp and mainControl.h HeadApp.project contains all application files, and the AppDoc class here (created by MFC wizard) contains the MainControl object: CMainCtrl *m_control; It compiles fine intill I try to create the control on Runtime: m_control = new CMainCtrl(); Here I get an unresolved external symbol error, even if I write the exact path to the MainControl header file.. What's wrong? Thanks for your time.. ...

Excel Drop Down List Formatting
is there a way to change font size for items in a drop-down list? If a Data Validation drop-down.......No. See Debra Dalglesih's site for workarounds. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Font Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:47:02 -0800, MJS <MJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is there a way to change font size for items in a drop-down list? THanks for the help "Gord Dibben" wrote: > If a Data Validation drop-down.......No. > > See Debra Dalglesih's site for workarounds. > > http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlData...

Text box visibility
On my form "Finalise Jobs" i have (amongst other controls), "Date ready" - txtDateReady, "Date Required" - txtDateRequired, "WhyDelayed" - txtWhyDelayed, and a search Combo Box - cboSearch. The following code is attached to txtDateReady :- Private Sub txtDateReady_AfterUpdate() If txtDateReady > Forms![Finalise Jobs].txtDateRequired Then Me.lblWhyDelayed.Visible = True Me.txtWhyDelayed.Visible = True Else Me.lblWhyDelayed.Visible = False Me.txtWhyDelayed.Visible = False End If End Sub and the following...

Outlook XP stays on top when open link
hi! I have the problem, that Outlook XP stays the top window when I open an email link in a messange. The new IE window blinks in the taskbar, but it's behind the Outlook window. Sometime I even can't open the new IE window! maybe someone can help me. Windows XP SP1 - Office XP SP2 greetings Matthias Neumeister (sorry for my english!) ...

Error Message: Cannot start outlook after clicking a webpage link
When going to a website, if I try to click on a person's name to send that person an email using Outlook 07, I get an error that says: "Cannot start microsoft outlook" HELP! Can you start Outlook normally from the Start Menu? "chmoee" <chmoee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85209C75-2A81-4BB1-8866-22D7B1E48EBD@microsoft.com... > When going to a website, if I try to click on a person's name to send that > person an email using Outlook 07, I get an error that says: "Cannot start > microsoft outlook" > HELP! Yes, I c...

Leveling Resource in Linked Project
I have a "Master Schedule" that is made up from linked files that include schedules for individual projects. While in the "Master Schedule" I am trying to level the resources so no one is over allocated. When I try to level it is not working and states that one of my projects (lets say Project #3) is linked to another task that cannot move. I am not sure why this error message is coming up. I don't have it linked to anything else and all my seperate projects have predecessors so that all tasks are dependant on eachother. I am a newbie to Project and quite ...

Excel links cells
I would like to know if and how to link couple of cells, Let's say I have inserted a code in a cell, this code is corresponding to coulpe of values in a tabele. I would like that Excel would automatically insert the corresponding values of this code (from the table) in different cells on the same raw. Example: Say I punch a code in cell A1 like GH23(which has a value in a table of 15 points and grade 5), then I would like that automatically Excel would insert the value of this code 15 in the cell A2 and the vaule of its grade 5 in cell A3. I would grealty appreciate any help. Tha...

vlookup help linking data between worksheet
hi, I have a master list of students (about 200+ )in one worksheet. On the succeeding worksheets are the attendance for seminars. We have more than 20 seminars in a year. Because of the large no of attendees per seminar, I usually type out a list of the students who came for each seminar, so there will be 20 +attendance worksheets. Not all students will come every time and there are new ones for each session. To update on master list, I will sort each sheet by surname, print it out and type in separate column (date) for each session and typed "P" for present and &quo...

Big Ask? Loading UserForms and then using the Check Box
I am very new to VBA and am trying to do the following, I have created the Userform and check boxes but that is as far as i can go. When a ceratin a cell e.g A1 goes to = red then a userform will pop up with a list of check boxes e.g Nexus, G2, Swift, Crest if Nexus and Crest check box is ticked then the word nexus will appear A2 and Crest in A3. Or if G2 and Swift were checked then G2 would be in cell A2 and Swift in cell C3. Many Thanks Changing the format of a cell isn't enough to make excel notice the change. But you could tie showing your userform to a change in a column (or...

In place editing of list box
I have set up the ability to double click on an item in a list box and edit it. The only problem I have is I would like to have the enter key end the editing. If I hit the enter key, the dialog box that contains the list box ends. How do I make sure that the list box gets the enter key and not the dialog box itself? Can this be done without subclassing the list box? You have to subclass the edit control you are using. Make it a multiline edit control which has the dialog has a parent (you need the multiline property, even though you won't use it, so you will see the enter key). I te...

Creating Mail Box
I can not create mailbox when i add new user to our domain controller with exchange server 2003. I already update Recipient Update services and problem is still exist. I can get it by restarting mail server. The exchange update services are not running when i create mailbox. any idea? thanks, Min Thein Kyaw "=?Utf-8?B?TWluIFRoZWluIEt5YXc=?=" <Min Thein Kyaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:6437F1F2-E054-4CB2-A48C-A9E607B1A958@microsoft.com: > I can not create mailbox when i add new user to our domain controller > with exchange server 2003. I already update...

Outlook Express unable to open links
I have XP Internet Explorer 6 Outlook Express. After I downloaded spellchecker that was left off pc when I purchased it. I starting having problems, I received an email with links in the email not all links but most. I click on the link it will not open, then I hold dowm the control key at the same time I click on the link and most the time it will open. Why do I have to hold down the shift key. Before I downloaded the spellchecker it was fine. I have called tech support at Best Buy (he laughed in my face like I was making it up). called HP under warrenty and they don't know why...

Dependent List in Control Combo-Box
Can any body tell me that is it possible to create dependent lists i Combo-boxes ? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Abdul Yes this is possible, here's a sample code with combined combo boxes from the Control tools box. Make sure you have your first list of values in column 1 and other dependant values in the adjacent columns Place code on your first combo(please note no headers used in the data lists): Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() MajListes Me.ComboBox2, ComboBox1.ListIndex End Sub Private Sub MajListes(Cbbx As MSForms.ComboBox, ValeurIndx As Integer) Const P...