Linking contents of multiple cells to an external object

Hope I'm posting to the right forum. If not could someone please tell me
where the appropriate place is.

I've coded in Excel a register for a small college that allows the user
to enter whether a  student attended a particular subject. Each
worksheet shows the whole class for a month, with students as rows &
dates as columns & the subject appears in the cell. Totals appear on a
seperate sheet.

Where a  student is absent there are a few alternative codes & on a
seperate line room for a short comment.

What is required is to automatically pull out the abscences on a
separate sheet (Word or Excel) unique to the student.  I can see how to
copy the contents of  a cell as a linked object but how do I associate
it with 2 or 3 cells:

eg let us say the date is in Row 2 & Student A is Row 6. On the 14th
(column J) he is absent. So in J6 an "a" for absent goes in. I need to
link J2 (the date), J6 (the absence) & J7 (the comment) & put them say
in a  Word document.

Trust this is clear. Not sure if one can send an xls attachement to teh
forum to illustrate this better, but can allways send as direct email.

Thanks for any suggestions

--
Rafi
Rafi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26785

Change link between form and subform

Creating stacked bar for multiple groups and multiple years
Hello. I'm trying to create a stacked bar graph for multiple groups. I've looked at other posts but still can't figure this out. Given the following: FY 07 Group A ATB increase = 2.5% Step increase = 0.75% Longevity increase = 0.5% Group B ATB increase = 3.5% Step increase = 0.5% Longevity increase = 1.5% Group C ATB increase = 1.5% Step increase = 1.75% Longevity increase = 0.25% FY 08 Group A ATB increase = 6.5% Step increase = 0.75% Longe...

linking #4

Exchange 2003 SP2 Public Folder Content Expiration
I have a public folder that get a lot of mail dumped into it and many messages haven't been touched in a really long time. I know it is possible to create a content expiration policy for NNTP, but I want to automatically purge mail older then some point in time from my public folder. However, I can't find any reference on how to do it. Is it possible to create an expiration policy on public folders? If so, can someone point me in the direction on how to configure this? Bring up the Properties page for the folder in Exchange System Manager and you'll find the settin...

How can I get only visible cells using range.get_Value?
Hi All! I’ve a code on C# that reads the data from Excel’s spreadsheet. I use Excel.Worksheet.get_Range method to get a Excel.Range object like this: Excel.Range range = Worksheet.get_Range("A1", Missing.Value); After I got the range I read the data into a multi-dimensional array as following: Object[,] saRet; saRet = (System.Object[,])range.get_Value(Missing.Value); Everything works fine until I want to get only visible cells from the spreadsheet. So I use the code: range = range.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible, Missing.Value); When I try to invoke the range...

Linked Forms

Running total from an edited cell
I want to keep a running total of inventory as follows: On Hand This Shipment Quan Updated Part # 1 10 5 update this column on each new shipment Part # 2 15 10 Part # 3 20 30 I will not be adding lines, just updating the "this shipment" cell for each part# I am using Excel 2007 Please help ! See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <9104B5C3-CD46-460E-A939-C2B1EA736D42@microsoft.com>, MacPack2 <MacPack2@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Links not linking

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

how do i set up drop down menus to populate cells in excel?
Hi, I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view of access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to type it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to the file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel??? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: h...

changing colours of multiple items in Publisher 2000
Does anyone have any idea how I can change the colour of multiple items on a page? It is so time consuming to have to select and change the colour of each item individually - it would be so useful to be able to select all the items I need and change the colour en bloc. Do the newer Publisher packages have this facility (2003, 2007?) What items are you trying to chage? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Fluffbrain" <Fluffbrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B67BD6A-B0E8-45A9...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?
Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series within one single chart. I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type. magnoliak77 Tufte calls them small multiples, Cleveland calls them trellis displays. I call them panel charts. Take a look at the examples on this page. http://processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm Another option is to stick with your 4 charts, however, you can size and align them. Here's a link to a simple macro that sizes and aligns all charts on a single sheet....

Cell grouping
Hello, This is the problem. I have 5 columns that are in this order, Date Req.#, Requestor, Dept. and notes. I need to know how to arrange th entire row where the departments are grouped together with th corresponding information. The dates are not important as this repor is quarterly; I know how to sort a column by itself but not the entir page. Thanks -- jackel JLatham Wrote: > I should add that usually Excel is smart enough to know that when you > grab > one column of information to sort, and it is contiguous with other > columns > with data in them, to grab them a...

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

working with multiple e-mails
We are working as two companies in our office. So every user in office has 2 e-mail account with the same username but with different domains. What we need to do is let them work with both e-mails together in outlook. But what important is I should prevent mistakes like sending mails from wrong account and receipts shouldn't see anything with the other company.. Can anyone offer any architecture for it or any recource on the web..? (sorry for the bad english) ...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Find cells that contain text
Hi, as part of a loop I am trying to find cells that contain a string and then copy some adjacent cells into another sheet. I can do the copy part no problem but I am struggling with finding the string, I am using the InStr command but not sure if I ma making this to complicated, this is code I am struggling with : If InStr(string, Cells(bb, 65)) = 1 Then With string being the string I am searching for and bb being the row number and part of the loop The formula will recognise a complete string, but not part of string i.e. String = abcd_ Cell contains abcd_ match and I ca...

Links

email links in Publisher pdf

cell formats #4
Hi, is there a way to change a cell format based on another cells formats? e.g. I have colour coded processed data in one sheet and the original data in a separate sheet. Hence the value in cell sheet1!G3 was derived from the value of cell sheet2! G3. I basically want a conditional format which sets formats of cell sheet1!G3 equal to the format of sell sheet2!G3. Thanks in advance Pete Hi Pete this is IMHO nearly impossible. E.g. a format change does not trigger the worksheet_change event. therefore also a event procedure won't work in all circumstances (only if the value is chan...

conditional formatting dependent on cells not next to eachother...
I want to apply conditional formatting, but I can't figure out th formula. I have a row that contains 3 criteria I need in order to color the row but the 3 criteria are not the same type of cell. (1 cell is a Yes o No, and the other 2 are dates.) J3 must be a Y or N K is text L is text M is a date N is a date O is a date P is a date Q is a date R is a date Here is my criteria: J3 must be Y, N3 or P3 must have an entry, and R3 must have an entry. If all of these criteria meet, then turn the row the color. Thank you for any and all help you could provide. Angel -------------------...

Change owner of folder on external disk
I use Robocopy to backup music and photos on a external Western Digital 1TB disk that is on a local network. The backup worked fine in both cases initially. Now, the backup for music files is failing with : Robocopy fails with *EXTRA File 1.9 m A Fine Romance-Browne.mp3 2010/02/15 16:56:41 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Deleting Extra File \\externaldrive\public\BackUp-Music\recordings\AmbroseNew\A Fine Romance-Browne.mp3 Access is denied. This is the command line using UNC addressing: Robocopy C:\Users\Owner\Music\recordings\ \\externaldrive\public\BackUp-Music\recordings\ ...