Linking a range from an external workbook to a single cell

I am linking a series of workbooks to a summary work book. I need to
know if I can enter a cell range from the external workbooks to a
single cell in a summary workbook.

In this instance I have 12 months data stored in workbook A in 12
seperate columns. I know I can link each cell in workbook A to a
corresponding cell in workbook B. However this requires me to link each
of the 12 cells in workbook A to the 12 in workbook B. I would like to
enter in the first cell in workbook B the start of the range of 12
cells in workbook A and automatically generate the same range in
workbook B.

I have tried using cell names and naming the range in workbook A but if
I use =name in workbook B I just get the #value! error.

---

Hi
why not enter the first link. e.g.
='[book2.xls]sheet1'!A1
and then copy this formula?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I am linking a series of workbooks to a summary work book. I need to
> know if I can enter a cell range from the external workbooks to a
> single cell in a summary workbook.
>
> In this instance I have 12 months data stored in workbook A in 12
> seperate columns. I know I can link each cell in workbook A to a
> corresponding cell in workbook B. However this requires me to link
> each of the 12 cells in workbook A to the 12 in workbook B. I would
> like to enter in the first cell in workbook B the start of the range
> of 12 cells in workbook A and automatically generate the same range
in
> workbook B.
>
> I have tried using cell names and naming the range in workbook A but
> if I use =name in workbook B I just get the #value! error.
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
4/13/2004 9:42:05 PM
I can do this but I have literally 100's of links and therefore wa
looking for something quicker and more efficient

Hi
if the are within a range just drag this cell with the first link. you
may give an example with your cell references in both workbooks. There
may be a better solution

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I can do this but I have literally 100's of links and therefore was
> looking for something quicker and more efficient,
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)

Change link between form and subform

Lookup Ranges and return value
I have some data that looks like this... 1001399 John Doe 1001200 Bugs Bunny etc..... I have a range of data to return the department they work in... 10011000 10012999 EAG 10015000 10015999 GMS 10013024 10013036 PILM 10013000 10013015 PILM 10013048 10013060 PILM 10013300 10013599 PILM 10013100 10013100 PILM 10013122 10013122 PILM 10013600 10013621 PILM 10014612 10014612 Other 10014700 10014725 Other 10014000 10014199 PILM Normally I would use a sumproducts to return the deparment but they have 1000's of entry I would have to test. So I am trying to do some kind of lookup...

How can I get only visible cells using range.get_Value?
Hi All! I’ve a code on C# that reads the data from Excel’s spreadsheet. I use Excel.Worksheet.get_Range method to get a Excel.Range object like this: Excel.Range range = Worksheet.get_Range("A1", Missing.Value); After I got the range I read the data into a multi-dimensional array as following: Object[,] saRet; saRet = (System.Object[,])range.get_Value(Missing.Value); Everything works fine until I want to get only visible cells from the spreadsheet. So I use the code: range = range.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible, Missing.Value); When I try to invoke the range...

Run "Workbook Open" once
I have a template that when it opens it automatically runs a macro that allows me to type in a text box what I want to save the file as and then saves it in the directory where I want it saved. The problem is that once it is saved I don't want it to run the macro again when I reopen that saved file. Should I put in the code at the end some way to deactivate the macro so that it no longer automatically runs when opening that newly saved file? Thank you. David P. If, as part of your routine, you were to write the filename to a specific cell in your workbook before saving, t...

linking #4

Office 2010
I am just starting Office 2010 Beta and workbooks are a crappy gray --how to change? Try posting to the Office 2010 forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "JohnBee" <JohnBee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A98B3E10-6538-48F7-9CF1-0089F1C10CBB@microsoft.com... > I am just starting Office 2010 Beta and workbooks are a crappy gray --how > to > change? ...

Format Cell as True/False
OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. ~Lori Sounds like you are remembering Access database tables. Lori wrote: > OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a > cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. > > Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. > > ~Lori This is a multi-part message in MIME ...

how do i copy a chart to another workbook
I just upgraded to Office 2007. In 2003 I was able to select move or copy on a chart and select copy and select another workbook, and copy the chart to that workbook. It doesn't work in 2007. What do I do? ...

Running total from an edited cell
I want to keep a running total of inventory as follows: On Hand This Shipment Quan Updated Part # 1 10 5 update this column on each new shipment Part # 2 15 10 Part # 3 20 30 I will not be adding lines, just updating the "this shipment" cell for each part# I am using Excel 2007 Please help ! See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <9104B5C3-CD46-460E-A939-C2B1EA736D42@microsoft.com>, MacPack2 <MacPack2@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Linked Forms

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Links not linking

how do i set up drop down menus to populate cells in excel?
Hi, I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view of access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to type it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to the file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel??? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: h...

AutoFilter method of Range class failed
Hello, I'm trying to automate some formatting of an Excel 2007 workbook using VB.NET in Visual Studio for Applications to run as a Script Task in SqlServer Integration Services. I have a fairly simple range, and I'm able to do everything I want with it, except for Autofilter. I've tried various methods for specifying the range (explicit, A1, UsedRange, Columns, etc.) No matter what I do, I keep getting an exception with the message of "AutoFilter method of Range Class failed". I've declared variables for the application, workbook, worksheet, and r...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Cell grouping
Hello, This is the problem. I have 5 columns that are in this order, Date Req.#, Requestor, Dept. and notes. I need to know how to arrange th entire row where the departments are grouped together with th corresponding information. The dates are not important as this repor is quarterly; I know how to sort a column by itself but not the entir page. Thanks -- jackel JLatham Wrote: > I should add that usually Excel is smart enough to know that when you > grab > one column of information to sort, and it is contiguous with other > columns > with data in them, to grab them a...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Copy-Paste Value based on user defined range
Hello, I am trying to create an option such that, the user can input a default value in one cell, enter a start year, and the number of years he wants to assign this value for. Ex. A B C 1 Value Start Year # of Years 2 500 2005 5 Apply 500 starting in 2005 for the next five years including 2005. I am working in Excel2000. Thanks for your help ...

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

converting cell data / opposite?
Hello Excel gurus... I have a cell/column containing a persons name: John Doe I'd like to convert cell/column to read: Doe, John What formula is used in order to make this happen? I've tried left/right/len commands out the wazzoo (technical word) - I give... uncle.... Any help? Jorge Hi Jorge in another cell use =RIGHT(C14,FIND(" ",C14)-1) &", " & LEFT(C14,FIND(" ",C14)) where C14 has the original data in it Cheers JulieD "Jorge" <czar1259@netscape.net> wrote in message news:10k0ptons6i6e4c@corp.supernews.com... > Hell...

Copying large formulas, external references?
I have worksheets that refer to a external file for the current month. When I copy the worksheet it refers to that same months file instead of the current one that I want.I need to update the formula from month to month, how do I do that? I think edit/Links will allow you to change as you wish On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:34:51 -0700, "Kamila" <waihik@sovpet.com.au> wrote: >I have worksheets that refer to a external file for the >current month. >When I copy the worksheet it refers to that same months >file instead of the current one that I want.I need to >upd...

Find cells that contain text
Hi, as part of a loop I am trying to find cells that contain a string and then copy some adjacent cells into another sheet. I can do the copy part no problem but I am struggling with finding the string, I am using the InStr command but not sure if I ma making this to complicated, this is code I am struggling with : If InStr(string, Cells(bb, 65)) = 1 Then With string being the string I am searching for and bb being the row number and part of the loop The formula will recognise a complete string, but not part of string i.e. String = abcd_ Cell contains abcd_ match and I ca...

Links