Linking a column with a row

I'm trying to set up Excel to link several rows with several columns.  I
guess I could do it manually with the "=" function for everyone, but that'd
take a long time and a chance of a mistake is fairly high.  What I have is 2
sheets,  On sheet two, I have a chemical that is broken down into 8 pieces of
data going from H3 to H10, I then have a space and then repeat for a another
chemical with 8 pieces of data from H12 to H19 and I repeat for several
hundred.

On sheet one, I need to have those 8 pieces show up in a row, so H3 from
sheet two shows up in N9, H4 shows up in O9, H5 in P9 and so on for all
eight.  If I try to propagate it down, instead of N10 linking to H12 from
sheet two, it links to H4.

Is there a way to get it to link column to row and propagate it down without
having to goto each individual piece and using the "=" function??

Thanks,

0
bimmu (1)

Try this:

assuming your data in sheet 2 starts in row 3, if not you will need to
adjust to suit, so in N9 put:
=INDIRECT("Sheet2!H"&ROW(1:1)*9-6)
copy across 7 columns (8 columns in total), for each column copied across
substrac 1 from the last parameter of the formula, so in O9 you would end up
with:
=INDIRECT("Sheet2!H"&ROW(1:1)*9-5)
in P9
=INDIRECT("Sheet2!H"&ROW(1:1)*9-4)
the last column should be:
=INDIRECT("Sheet2!H"&ROW(1:1)*9+1)
Now select N9 thru U9 and copy down as far as needed.

HTH
JG

"bimmu" wrote:

> I'm trying to set up Excel to link several rows with several columns.  I
> guess I could do it manually with the "=" function for everyone, but that'd
> take a long time and a chance of a mistake is fairly high.  What I have is 2
> sheets,  On sheet two, I have a chemical that is broken down into 8 pieces of
> data going from H3 to H10, I then have a space and then repeat for a another
> chemical with 8 pieces of data from H12 to H19 and I repeat for several
> hundred.
>
> On sheet one, I need to have those 8 pieces show up in a row, so H3 from
> sheet two shows up in N9, H4 shows up in O9, H5 in P9 and so on for all
> eight.  If I try to propagate it down, instead of N10 linking to H12 from
> sheet two, it links to H4.
>
> Is there a way to get it to link column to row and propagate it down without
> having to goto each individual piece and using the "=" function??
>
> Thanks,

0
pinmaster (74)
1/12/2006 10:43:02 PM
Enter this formula in N9 of Sheet1:

=INDEX(Sheet2!$H:$H,COLUMNS($A:C)+9*ROWS($1:1)-9)

Then copy across to U9.
Then, select N9 to U9, and copy that *selection* down as far as needed.
--
HTH,

RD

"bimmu" <bimmu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to set up Excel to link several rows with several columns.  I
> guess I could do it manually with the "=" function for everyone, but
that'd
> take a long time and a chance of a mistake is fairly high.  What I have is
2
> sheets,  On sheet two, I have a chemical that is broken down into 8 pieces
of
> data going from H3 to H10, I then have a space and then repeat for a
another
> chemical with 8 pieces of data from H12 to H19 and I repeat for several
> hundred.
>
> On sheet one, I need to have those 8 pieces show up in a row, so H3 from
> sheet two shows up in N9, H4 shows up in O9, H5 in P9 and so on for all
> eight.  If I try to propagate it down, instead of N10 linking to H12 from
> sheet two, it links to H4.
>
> Is there a way to get it to link column to row and propagate it down
without
> having to goto each individual piece and using the "=" function??
>
> Thanks,

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

paste values to last row
Does anyone have a VB script that will copy and paste values from one row to the last row on a worksheet? I used column A to find the last row of the worksheet and I pasted under that last row. Dim NextRow as long dim RowToCopy as range set rowtocopy = activecell.entirerow with worksheets("somesheetnameHere") Nextrow = .cells(.rows.count,"A").end(xlup).row + 1 rowtocopy.copy _ destination:=.cells(nextrow,"A") end with patojo wrote: > > Does anyone have a VB script that will copy and paste values from one > row to the last row on a works...

How can I reverse the order of a column of numbers . . .
I want to turn a long column of numbers upsidedown so that the last entries become the first vice versa. >-----Original Message----- >I want to turn a long column of numbers upsidedown so that the last entries >become the first vice versa. >. > If they are consecutive order just select them and do data sort select descending or ascending. If they are not in consecutive order in the column next to it put consecutive numbers (ex.1..99 ) and select both areas and data sort on the column with the consecutive numbers. A reply is always nice to know that it worked for you. ...

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

Linked Forms

Links not linking

Restart numbering ater a set number of rows
I have an excel spreadsheet with 4 columns. the first two columns contains numbers which will never change the third column starts off with 0 (zero) and is repeated for 255 rows then on the 256 row it needs to change to 1 (so basically increment by 1 every 255 rows) the fourth column starts at 0 (zero) and counts up to 255 but then needs to reset it self back to 0 on the 256 row. Help Please!!!!!:confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: I...

Row Number
I need hellp with a formula. In Cell E8 I need to write a formula that will search Column A rows 18 thru 32 and if it finds the date 09/16/2006 it will display the row number. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dianne You didn't say what result you want if the date is not present. One way... A1 = some date =IF(COUNTIF(A18:A32,A1),INDEX(ROW(A18:A32),MATCH(A1,A18:A32,0)),"") If the date isn't present the formula returns blank. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Dianne" <Dianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

How do I change column into lines on a Line-Column chart?
I want to create a chart with three columns and one line using two axis. Any help would be useful. Thanks Hi Ken, Create a column chart based on all your data. Select the series that you want as line and right click it. Choose Chart Type and change it to Line. Now double click the new line so you can change the Axis value to secondary. Cheers Andy Ken wrote: > I want to create a chart with three columns and one line using two axis. Any > help would be useful. > > Thanks -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

links

Rows to repeat up top, is greyed out?
Can anyone help to figure this out? I have used this feature in the past but for some reason whenever i try now the option is not available. thanks in advance.... -- Sincerely Bob anti spam-remove the first letter of my email to reply by email Hi! Are you using file>page setup > sheet? Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com That can happen if you are in print preview and click the setup button, close the print preview and do file>page setup instead -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "BobMack" <eelemental1998@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eu5qOQ...

Set tab changes for entire columns
I have created a document with 4 columns. After the heading I changed the tab stops. Somehow the tabs keep changing. How can I set the tab stops at a line below the heading and make them stay the same through the rest of the document? Problem is I have already typed 2 pages of the document and want to reset the tabs to cover the beginning list columns to be unchanging through the rest of the document. "Gramma Susie" wrote: > I have created a document with 4 columns. After the heading I changed the tab > stops. Somehow the tabs keep changing. How can I set t...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

Formula
I have 4 columns and would like a formula that would give me th percentage of column 4 to the lowest number in columns 1, 2 or 3. 24 16 8 4 What is the percentage betwee 8 & 4 28 22 40 17 What is the percentage between 22 and 17 If you are paying $8 now and new price is $4, what is the saving percentage. I think I said that right! Thanks for the help. Sam -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Try something like: =D12/SMALL(A12:C12,1) and format the result as a percentage. -- Andy. "samilees >"...

email links in Publisher pdf

Chart template and links

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

how can I generate a chart for each row of data in my spreadsheet.
Is it possible for automatic generation of charts for each row of data in a spreadsheet after establishing a template? Patrick, Did you ever get a reply to your post? I hve the same question and cannot find an answer. Li "Patrick" wrote: > Is it possible for automatic generation of charts for each row of data in a > spreadsheet after establishing a template? ...

Is it possible to high light a row of cells
I have columns from A1 to A300 TO CP1 TO CP300 if I click on a particulr cell on any row is it possible to high light that whole row if there is a way please tell me how!!! On dec. 10, 04:23, Mike <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have columns from A1 to A300 TO CP1 TO CP300 if I click on a particulr cell > on any row is it possible to high light that whole row if there is a way > please tell me how!!! You need an event sub for that like this one: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:F10&...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...