Linked files XP vs. Win98

We're running Excel 2000 across a Novell network and are seeing some
strange behavior occuring with linked files.  We can open a linked file
held on the network in Win98 and the links (to another file on the
network) update in <1 sec.  But, if we open the exact same file in XP,
it will take almost a full minute to update.  With some of our files
that have much more extensive links the difference just gets worse.  If
both the source file and the linked file are loaded locally the update
times are very comparable (<1 sec.).

Does anyone have an idea why this would be happening?  Our support
staff is pulling their hair out because they need to get all of our
Win98 boxes upgraded to XP and this is a serious show-stopper for them.

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18952

Any help on this???

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18952
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491656

Anyone have any ideas???

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18952
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491656

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

Opening xls files in word
When I open an excel file it opens in word. If I open Excel and then open the file it opens properly. How do I change the default to open all excel files in excel? Rich Rich, Open up Windows Explorer, click the 'Tools' toolbar and then 'Folder Options...'. Click the 'File Types' tab, and scroll down to find the XLS file extension. Highlight "XLS" - I think it will say that it's set to open with Microsoft Word. If so, click the 'Change' button and set it to open with Microsoft Ex...

Linked Forms

Account's Relationship Type property vs. Competitor Management?
Hi, What does property "Relationship Type" in Account Management mean? it has a value named "Competitor", what is relationship between this property with Competitor Management function? Thanks, Account is a general term used to define relationships with any real world entity. So Customers, Prospects, Suppliers, Partners, etc are all examples of 'relationships'. That is if you choose to use the system that way - some people only include 'customers'. The use of Competitor in this instance is just an example, and remember - if you only have the sales ...

Links not linking

how to know the reason of a failure of file opening?
Hi, After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whether it fails because the target file is used by other programs? Your help is appreciated. Tony ::GetLastError() will return the error code. ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED can indicate several types of access failures, but I believe it is the code returned if the file is opened exclusive already (it doesn't have to be another program; even trying to open it a second time in your own app will fail) joe On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:39:52 -0700, May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote: >Hi, > >After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whethe...

Is the file lph.dll a legit file by Ms for Office 2007?
I bought several MS Office Prof 2007 via ebay from different vendors - they came boxed with all the expected labels, security flags, holograms and imprints. When trying to install one, my Hips popped up alerting me to a file. Uploading this file lph.dll to virustotal shows that 7 out 41 AV consider the file a trojan/malware. I contacted MS support re the first file I received and was told that the license number was legit but did not get any answer re the lph.dll issue. Does anyone know what this file does, why some AV consider it malware (could be a FP) and in particular i...

end of file reached
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp <br> any ideas what this error is ? <br> and how to cure On 1/27/10 9:56 AM, in article 59bb1b90.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "markc0@officeformac.com" <markc0@officeformac.com> wrote: > when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp > any ideas what this error is ? > and how to cure The file that has reached it's end is often the preferences file. Move the 'Microsoft...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

How do I import OE .dbx files into outlook?
Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important OE .dbx files. How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can access the content? Simon wrote: > Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important > OE .dbx files. > > How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can > access the content? Why do you no longer have OE on the old machine that crashed that we are to assume where you will reinstall the same version of Windows that before had OE? See http...

links

OPENING FILE
I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AND CAN IT BE FIXED? find someone with xl2002 - this has a built in repair facility. You file has probably become corrupted. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy RUSS KING <WRCING2@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:03d201c36ab0$c7ba2780$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR > OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY > HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AN...

can I display the file name of the imported text file in another c
When I refresh data and select a file I would like that file name displayed in another cell because within the file name is a date & time stamp relating to the contents. For example if the imported filename is count_200505110035.csv then I want a cell in the worksheet to display count_200505110035.csv. Any ideas welcomed please? ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

email links in Publisher pdf

Vista - Money 2005 Cannot open file
Installed Money Standard 2005 on new Vista Machine. Foillowed the following instructions; == Install Money 2005 by right-clicking Setup.exe from your CD and choosing RunAsAdministrator. Find the sample.mny file in your install folder. That may be "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005". Copy sample.mny file to your Documents folder in Vista. In Windows Explorer, right-click that file and choose RunAsAdministrator. It will do an update. Close Money. Reboot the computer. Then open Money and check that Help->About... says you then have version 14.0.*.1105. M...

Chart template and links

Lost dual monitor capability in XP
I had XP Pro running with dual monitors for a couple of years, switched out monitors from time to time and no problem. I've got an Intel 2.8 MB with onboard video connected to one monitor, and an ATI Rage Pro to the other monitor. Worked great till I had to replace the hard drive and reinstall XP Pro. I'm running SP3 with all updates. Now what happens is, whichever video adapter I make primary in the BIOS, XP comes up on it, with the drivers okay, and the non-primary one XP detects but Device Manager says the driver isn't installed. And nothing I can do will make it ac...

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

"Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet throws "not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file" error.
Hi, I am trying to use "Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet to fetch "File Share Witness" property of CCR cluster. But when I run this command no "Exchange Management Shell" I am getting "The term 'Get- ClusterResource' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again." error. Any idea why I am getting this error? Do I need to add any "PSSnapin" via Add-PSSnapin cmdlet ? If so which one it is? Basically I am not able to run any of the cluster related GET cmdlets on Exchange Managem...

outlook 2003 ignoring XP appearance settings.
Good day all, Since formatting and reinstalling Office 2003, it seems to be completely ignoring the display settings for XP. I've selected the XP standard blue theme, but none of my office apps care about this setting, never changing from the "classic" look. I include a link to a screenshot of my Outlook 2003, where it is easy to see that WinXP is set to it's default theme, but Outlook is not picking up on this. Any suggestions out there? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, including from different known good media. Win XP is completely up to date, as is the offi...