Linest #3

Just to give  more background on what I am trying to do:

Variable A is in meters, B is in meters, C is the Ranking, D is th
number of attempts. The Result is the overall factor rated 10 is good
1 is bad
Let's say A could go from 1 - 100.
If A is between 0-20 meters, and 80-100 meters the Result (overal
factor) is very low.
Similarly for B.
C is the Ranking that could be 1 to 20. Again for low values of C th
Result(overall factor) is very low and high for high values of C.
D is the number of attempts an experiment is performed. If the value o
D is 1 that is first attempt then the REsult(factor) is very high. Fo
higher values of D the Result is very low.
Therefore I know how each variable individually affects th
Result(Overall Factor). I know that these 4 variables are related
Therefore I want to find an equation using the four variables t
calculate the Overall Factor

--
mnarasi
mnarasim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1473

LINEST won't work because it is for bivariate regression
as opposed to multivariate regression which is more what
you need.

In effect you want to assess the impact of a few
variables upon an overall value?

There is an number of ways of doing this. Depending on
how professional you want to be, I would maybe read about
statistics.

Still, you can use <Tools> <Data Analysis> <Regression>
[this is only available as an Add-In] and input your x
and y values. From the resultant table you can get the
equation of the relationship and, more importantly, the t-
statistic will tell you how significant a given variable
is upon the Y (independent) variable.

Hopefully this can point you into the right direction.

Alex

Ranking, D is the
>number of attempts. The Result is the overall factor
rated 10 is good,
>1 is bad
>Let's say A could go from 1 - 100.
>If A is between 0-20 meters, and 80-100 meters the
Result (overall
>factor) is very low.
>Similarly for B.
>C is the Ranking that could be 1 to 20. Again for low
values of C the
>Result(overall factor) is very low and high for high
values of C.
>D is the number of attempts an experiment is performed.
If the value of
>D is 1 that is first attempt then the REsult(factor) is
very high. For
>higher values of D the Result is very low.
>Therefore I know how each variable individually affects
the
>Result(Overall Factor). I know that these 4 variables
are related.
>Therefore I want to find an equation using the four
variables to

---------------
>mnarasim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?
action=getinfo&userid=14735
>View this thread:
>
>.

0
anonymous (74721)
9/26/2004 3:55:57 PM
LINEST does univariate multivariable regression.  You can predict only a
single y variable based on any number of x variables.  That sounds like
the kind of stituation that the OP is describing.

Help for LINEST is extremely misleading.  LINEST is not limited to
simple linear regression.

Jerry

Alex wrote:

> LINEST won't work because it is for bivariate regression
> as opposed to multivariate regression which is more what
> you need.
>
> In effect you want to assess the impact of a few
> variables upon an overall value?
>
> There is an number of ways of doing this. Depending on
> how professional you want to be, I would maybe read about
> statistics.
>
> Still, you can use <Tools> <Data Analysis> <Regression>
> [this is only available as an Add-In] and input your x
> and y values. From the resultant table you can get the
> equation of the relationship and, more importantly, the t-
> statistic will tell you how significant a given variable
> is upon the Y (independent) variable.
>
> Hopefully this can point you into the right direction.
>
> Alex

0
post_a_reply (1395)

IF Function #3
thanks Domenic that works a treat -- sgrec ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1450 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27163 ...

3 email accounts, 3 folders
Office 2003, Windows X I have 3 email accounts with Earthlink. I have created 3 folders in Outlook. I want mail from each account to go into the appropriate folder Inbox In Outlook/email accounts I select each account name and find the matching name in "deliver email to the following location", and click Finish. But next time I check, all accounts have switched to the last folder I entered Either it's not possible to do what I want to do, or I have done something wrong in the setup. I would appreciate any guidance towards my intent to keep mail from each account seperate from ...

Scrolling problem #3
hi all.. I have one ListCtrl and one listbox. when i scroll listctrl i want to scroll listbox also. ::SendMessage(pLeftBox->m_hWnd,WM_VSCROLL,MAKEWPARAM(nSBCode,nPos),0); using this code It is working fine. But my problem is, when i scroll it using mouse scroll button listctrl is scrolling but no change in listbox. thank u. You need to handle the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message. BOOL CScrollingList::OnMouseWheel(UINT nFlags, short zDelta, CPoint pt) { if (m_pOtherWnd) { m_pOtherWnd->SendMessage(WM_MOUSEWHEEL,MAKEWPARAM(nFlags,zDelta),MAKELPARAM( pt.x,pt.y)); } return CListCtr...

Queue #3
I am having a problem with Exchange 2000. My queue is filling up and U don't seem to have any problems (that I can see). All of the e-mails are legitimate e-mails, I do not have an open relay. Some e-mail goes out while others do not. I am running Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000. This just started yesterday. When I delete e-mail out of the quest I get a NDR that says: This message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server. Thanks Enable logging on the server and check application log for more info. What queues are building up? Local, Routin...

Obtaining Post-Office 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP-3) hotfix AKA Outlook 2000 Hangs after opening 20003
I have a number of users using both Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2000 on our Exchange 2000 server.. Many of them are now having hang problems when exiting Outlook 2000. I am pretty sure this post hot-fix MS describes will fix the problem but I don't know how to DL it. We are MSDN susbscribers. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834005 Call 1-800-936-4900 (press 3 for hotfixes) and tell them you're calling to obtain the hotfix described in KB [number] and they should fix you right up. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneN...

copying messages #3
I was wondering on a way to back up my Outlook Express messages, because i am planning on formatting, any way i could do this by copying them from a certain or something, email me. or relply thx ...

Deleting Cell with formulas with Numbers Ex. =2+3 not = A+B
Deleting Cell with formulas with Numbers Ex. =2+3 not = A+B I am trying to create a copy of workbook with only formulas, but some cells exist wit =2+3 which I do Not wanted. How can I delete all of this in a single click (Not Individualy) If you wish to delete *all* numeric formulas, =A+B *AND* =2+3 Try this on a copy of your sheet: <F5> and click on "Special". Then click on "Formulas", and make sure that *ONLY* "numbers" is checked. Then <OK>. You will see that cells containing numeric formulas are selected. Now, just hit <Delete>. -- ...

FRx #3
Thanks in advance for any info. When launching a report via FRx, a user is receiving an error "no catalogs exist". Any ideas? Couldn't find anything on customer source. Thanks, Morgan User restarted, now it's working. Whats up with that??? "Morgan" <abcd@senditon.com> wrote in message news:eBwyh9x9EHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Thanks in advance for any info. > > When launching a report via FRx, a user is receiving an error "no catalogs > exist". Any ideas? Couldn't find anything on customer source. > > > Tha...

Link to last entry #3
Thanks for clearing that up. I pasted it from the Google link and i works fine now. Just a tip if anyone else reads this - when I paste it in, it didn't seem to want to be entered as an array formula, so just deleted one of the brackets and replaced it, then pressed ctr -shift-enter and it worked. Thanks again. Max Wrote: > Believe the site/place where you're posting to or reading posts from > unfortunately removes all the "greater than", "less than" or "not equa > to" > symbols from posts, including from within formulas, that's the t...

Linest
I am having difficulty with the order of the coefficients outputed by linest when doing a multivariable regression. My problem is that the order is reversed from the input x variables. While for displaying the coefficients I do not have a problem, the problem is that my sheet is setup so that the column order is x1,x2,x3,x4... and I would like to use mmult(inputs,transpose(output coefficient)) or Sum(inputs*ouput coefficients) ) to fill in dataspace in other operations. Any suggestions on a way reverse the order so that I can use it with matrix operations without creating new columns...

Licensing #3
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How many computers can I use my Office 2008 Home and Student Edition on? Will the one disk spread on two or three? Read the license agreement that was attached to your purchase. On the version I bought it allowed me to install on 3 machines. --rms www.rmschneider.com fatman4christ@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) > Processor: Intel > > How many computers can I use my Office 2008 Home and Student Edition on? Will the one disk spread on ...

owa redirect #3
redirect.asp is not working on windows and exchan ge 2003. When set up by the book I get this error - "Secure Channel Required This Virtual Directory requires a browser that supports the configured encryption options." If i surf to /owaasp/redirect.asp it works fine. This was working before i started to set up forms access then it quit working. Not sure if it's a permissions thing or not. Don't know where that exact error is comming from either. It's not a 403.4 error. If i return the custom error to it's original location I get the full full error 403....

OE Attachments #3
My OE seems to repeatedly screen out attachments from my email messages. I don't seem to know why or how this is happening. Does anyone have any ideas? mikeandpat@sympatico.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My OE seems to repeatedly screen out attachments from my > email messages. I don't seem to know why or how this is > happening. Does anyone have any ideas? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. (Hint: Tools>Options>Security) -- Brian Tillman ...

Installing Service Pack 3 on top if IE7
After doing all the critical updates I'm ready to install SP3. I've already installed IE7, and I know that if I install SP3 on top of IE7, IE7 will become non-removable. Since IE6 is obsolete and IE7 seems to work OK, is there any good reason to uninstall IE7, install SP3 and then reinstall IE7? That is, is there any reason SP3 should be installed befoe IE7 other than the latter's non-removability? Bobbi No... IE8 has been out for awhile and it is better than 6 or 7 Do SP3 and then IE8 peter -- If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappro...

Copying data #3
Hi I need help in copying data. I have data exported from a text file and has somthing like following format - Main Grp: 600 Sub Grp: 11890 grp desc amount 7878 ABCDEMF 89887 ABCDEMF 89784 ABCDEMF 45654 ABCDEMF 56587 <<page break>>> Main Grp: 600 Sub Grp: 11900 grp desc amount 7900 ABCDEMF 56844 ABCDEMF 12546 ABCDEMF 74125 ABCDEMF 36985 so need to copy 'grp' below alongwith the lines of data within the group and 'sub grp' also alongside the data.. may be on right side after amount. I tried with Edit/Go to.. and spe...

Address Book Access #3
I recently downloaded an update for my MS Office Pro from the MS website. Directly afterwards and ever since, whenever a piece of spam slips through into my Inbox and I add it to the list of spam (using Norton) I get the following message: "A program is trying to access addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" "If this is unexpected you should click on NO". I keep clicking on NO for each piece of spam but it keeps on happening for every piece of spam I get. How can I determine whether it is MS (or not) who is trying to access my mailbox? In...

Internet email #3
How is the best way to authorize some users to receive internet email?! I have only five users (on 1000) that must have to receive internet email... I don't want to use recipient policy...is possible? "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote in news:OOFPgpwrFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > How is the best way to authorize some users to receive internet > email?! I have only five users (on 1000) that must have to receive > internet email... I don't want to use recipient policy...is possible? Great article: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html Regards, ...

Data Consolidation #3
Hey All, I hope someone can help me. I have a list of about 30k PCs for a Enterprise Dollar estimate thing. I need to find out how much money each Business Unit has in PCs. I have a list of PCs, Cost Center, and Device Type, but like I said I have about 30k of them. I need to find out how I can tell Excel to look for how many instances of each there are per Cost Center. Any ideas? Thanks, cmschube cmschube, Make a Pivot Table. Drag the Cost Center into the left or top. Double-click the heading and set it for count. Drag it again into the data area. This is a bit different in earlier...

SQL Replication with CRM 3.0?
Is SQL Server replication supported with CRM 3.0? If so, is there a whitepaper on how to set this up? yes it is supported. "Ted" <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E46E3EB2-FD88-4F9C-AD93-0AE0F5DF7843@microsoft.com... > Is SQL Server replication supported with CRM 3.0? If so, is there a > whitepaper on how to set this up? Thanks Benjamin. Do you know of any whitepapers specific to CRM on setting this up? "Benjamin Fallar III" wrote: > yes it is supported. > > "Ted" <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Windows Vista Update hanging on 3 of 3
Hi I'm installing automatic Windows Vista update and it's restarted the laptop and has been stuck on "Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete" for 2.5 hours plus any ideas? THanks RickA wrote: > I'm installing automatic Windows Vista update and it's restarted > the laptop and has been stuck on "Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 > - 0% complete" for > 2.5 hours plus any ideas? Wait a little longer... Force a shutdown. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~...

CRM 3 Implementation Guide
I am currently "renting" a hosted Exchange/CRM 3 solution with a service provider. Therefore, I was not given an implementation guide. Does anyone know where I can get an implementation guide from? Thanks! http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-68ada7d4f16a&DisplayLang=en "iamdavid" <iamdavid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:359ACC4A-6503-4A6F-AEC3-55E79AA01381@microsoft.com... >I am currently "renting" a hosted Exchange/CRM 3 solution with a service > provider. Therefore, I was not giv...

Need help with Outlook 2000 #3
I just started trying to use this program and find it difficult and frustrating. Is there a simple, online tutorial (preferably free) that anyone recommends? Thanks, Stuart ...

Linest
I have 9 columns of data that represent candidate 'x' values along with a column of data that represents the 'y' values. Without having to create multiple rearrangements of this data, I would like to determine the output of the linest function for various scenarios: =linest (included X columns, Y column, 0, true) each cell that includes this function should have a different unique permutation of each of the 9 potential candidates e.g. Scenario 1: column A,B,D,E,F,G,H,I; column L, 0, true Scenario 2: column A,B,C,E,F,G,H,I; column L, 0, true Scenario 3: column A,C,D,E,F,G,H...

B &amp; C Eagle 238X099RC 2-3/8-Inch by .099-Inch by 15 Degree Ring Shank Wire Collated Coil Framing Nail (3,000 per Box)
Price:$57.00 Image: http://specialdealfinder.info/image.php?id=B0000225FO Best deal: http://specialdealfinder.info/index.php?id=B0000225FO These nails work fine in my Makita coil nailer- the problem is that when they arrive they are smashed flat by the poor packing and/or careless handling. REALLY LIKE THE NAILS. JUST DIDN'''T CARE FOR THE WAY I RECIEVED THEM. SORTA BENT IN THE BOX AND HAD TO STRAIGHTEN THE COILS. B & C Eagle, 3,000 Count, 2-3/8" x .099, Ring Shank, Coil Framing Nails, Fit The Following Nail Guns: Hitachi NV83A, NV83A2, Bostitch N80C, N80CB, N86C, N...

Unspecified errors after upgrading to 3.0
Upgraded from 1.2 to 3 on 2003 SP1 SQL 2005 when I try to create an Invoice off an order I get Server Error in App Unspecified Error ComException 0x80004005 Same set up for Unable to save opportunity ComException 0x80040217 Any Help would be appreciated. ...