Linear Line

Firstly, apologies as this will appear twice.  I sent it via Google and they
said it'll be 3-8 hours before posted, now if I had 3-8 hours that'd be
useful!

My question:  I have 8 sets of x,y coordinates, is there a function that can
tell me if all points are linear (i.e. form a straight line).

Thanks in advance
Mike

0
mrskowse (6)

Do your own google searches with Ron's add in

      http://www.rondebruin.nl/

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Mike" <mrskowse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Firstly, apologies as this will appear twice.  I sent it via Google and
they
> said it'll be 3-8 hours before posted, now if I had 3-8 hours that'd be
> useful!
>
> My question:  I have 8 sets of x,y coordinates, is there a function that
can
> tell me if all points are linear (i.e. form a straight line).
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mike

0
Don

------=_NextPart_000_013A_01C351C8.6327AF00

Hi Mike,
There was a long thread in the VB group on this earlier this month.
Some heavy programming but you may find what your looking for.

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&lr=3Dlang_en&ie=3DUTF-8&oe=3DUTF-8&t=
hreadm=3D%23NlhxhRSDHA.1556%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl&rnum=3D32&prev=3D/grou=
ps%3Fas_q%3Dpoint%2520line%26safe%3Dimages%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as=
_ugroup%3D*vb*%26lr%3Dlang_en%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den

--=20

John

johnf202 at hotmail dot com

> Thanks Don;
>=20
> I did the Google search and still didn't find the answer.  Am I =
missing
> something??  Thanks Mike
> "Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message
> > Do your own google searches with Ron's add in
> >
> >       http://www.rondebruin.nl/
> >
> > --
> > Don Guillett
> > SalesAid Software
> > Granite Shoals, TX
> > donaldb@281.com
> > "Mike" <mrskowse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Firstly, apologies as this will appear twice.  I sent it via =
Google and
> > they
> > > said it'll be 3-8 hours before posted, now if I had 3-8 hours =
that'd be
> > > useful!
> > >
> > > My question:  I have 8 sets of x,y coordinates, is there a =
function that
> > can
> > > tell me if all points are linear (i.e. form a straight line).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Mike
> > >

>=20

------=_NextPart_000_013A_01C351C8.6327AF00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi Mike,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>There was a long thread in the VB group on this =
earlier this=20
month.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Some heavy programming but you may find what your =
looking=20
for.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&amp;lr=3Dlang_en&amp;ie=3DUT=
F-8&amp;oe=3DUTF-8&amp;threadm=3D%23NlhxhRSDHA.1556%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gb=
l&amp;rnum=3D32&amp;prev=3D/groups%3Fas_q%3Dpoint%2520line%26safe%3Dimage=
s%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as_ugroup%3D*vb*%26lr%3Dlang_en%26num%3D50%=
26hl%3Den">http://www.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&amp;lr=3Dlang_en&amp;ie=3D=
UTF-8&amp;oe=3DUTF-8&amp;threadm=3D%23NlhxhRSDHA.1556%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.=
gbl&amp;rnum=3D32&amp;prev=3D/groups%3Fas_q%3Dpoint%2520line%26safe%3Dima=
ges%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as_ugroup%3D*vb*%26lr%3Dlang_en%26num%3D5=
0%26hl%3Den</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT size=3D2>-- <BR><BR>John</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>johnf202 at hotmail dot com</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"Mike" &lt;</FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:mrskowse@hotmail.com"><FONT=20
size=3D2>mrskowse@hotmail.com</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
</FONT><A href=3D"news:vhvo5qevleel3d@corp.supernews.com"><FONT=20
size=3D2>news:vhvo5qevleel3d@corp.supernews.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT size=3D2>&gt; Thanks Don;<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; I did the=20
Google search and still didn't find the answer.&nbsp; Am I =
missing<BR>&gt;=20
something??&nbsp; Thanks Mike<BR>&gt; "Don Guillett" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:donaldb@281.com"><FONT =
size=3D2>donaldb@281.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2>&gt; wrote in message<BR>&gt; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:ucpAAaeUDHA.1916@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl"><FONT=20
size=3D2>news:ucpAAaeUDHA.1916@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2>...<BR>&gt; &gt; Do your own google searches with Ron's add =
in<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.rondebruin.nl/"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.rondebruin.nl/</FONT></A><BR><FONT size=3D2>&gt; =
&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; --<BR>&gt; &gt; Don Guillett<BR>&gt; &gt; SalesAid Software<BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
Granite Shoals, TX<BR>&gt; &gt; </FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:donaldb@281.com"><FONT=20
size=3D2>donaldb@281.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT size=3D2>&gt; &gt; "Mike" =
&lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mrskowse@hotmail.com"><FONT=20
size=3D2>mrskowse@hotmail.com</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2>&gt; wrote in =
message<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; </FONT><A href=3D"news:vhvm1693cg7400@corp.supernews.com"><FONT=20
size=3D2>news:vhvm1693cg7400@corp.supernews.com</FONT></A><FONT =
size=3D2>...<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt; Firstly, apologies as this will appear twice.&nbsp; I sent it =
via=20
Google and<BR>&gt; &gt; they<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; said it'll be 3-8 hours =
before=20
posted, now if I had 3-8 hours that'd be<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; =
useful!<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; My question:&nbsp; I have 8 sets of x,y =
coordinates, is=20
there a function that<BR>&gt; &gt; can<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; tell me if all =
points=20
are linear (i.e. form a straight line).<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;=20
Thanks in advance<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Mike<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_013A_01C351C8.6327AF00--

0
me5306 (285)
7/24/2003 1:45:59 PM
If the data is on a worksheet, I believe the following should work.

    =RSQ(Y_Range,X_Range)

A value of 1 should indicate a straight line.

Note:  It returns the same value as if you selected 3 vertical cells and
Array entered the following...
    =LINEST(Y,X,,TRUE)

The R^2 value is the third value listed.

--
Dana DeLouis
Using Windows XP  &  Office XP

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=%23NlhxhRSDHA.1556%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl&rnum=32&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3Dpoint%2520line%26safe%3Dimages%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as_ugroup%3D*vb*%26lr%3Dlang_en%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den

--

John

johnf202 at hotmail dot com

"Mike" <mrskowse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Don;
>
> I did the Google search and still didn't find the answer.  Am I missing
> something??  Thanks Mike
> "Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message
> > Do your own google searches with Ron's add in
> >
> >       http://www.rondebruin.nl/
> >
> > --
> > Don Guillett
> > SalesAid Software
> > Granite Shoals, TX
> > donaldb@281.com
> > "Mike" <mrskowse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Firstly, apologies as this will appear twice.  I sent it via Google
and
> > they
> > > said it'll be 3-8 hours before posted, now if I had 3-8 hours that'd
be
> > > useful!
> > >
> > > My question:  I have 8 sets of x,y coordinates, is there a function
that
> > can
> > > tell me if all points are linear (i.e. form a straight line).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Mike

0
ng_only (45)
7/24/2003 2:30:00 PM
   =CORREL(y_range,x_range)^2

is a more numerically stable way to calculate this quantity.

Jerry

Dana DeLouis wrote:

> If the data is on a worksheet, I believe the following should work.
>
>     =RSQ(Y_Range,X_Range)
>
> A value of 1 should indicate a straight line.
>
> Note:  It returns the same value as if you selected 3 vertical cells and
> Array entered the following...
>     =LINEST(Y,X,,TRUE)
>
> The R^2 value is the third value listed.

0
post_a_reply (1395)

Linear Programming
In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable linear programming problem on a spreadsheet with a a number of constaints using Solver? Franklin - See the tutorials and examples at www.solver.com. Or, search your drive for the file solvsamp.xls, which is installed when Solver is installed and which has a 3-variable nonlinear example that is easily converted to linear. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com +++++++++++++++++++ "Franklin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c5a01c500bf$8f5038c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable ...

How do I add an indicator line to a Gantt chart in excel?
I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I would like to indicate a specific date - most of the time today's date - by a vertical line showing how many days have passed and how many yet to go for specific tasks. I have attempted to create an 'XY graph' on top of the bar/Gantt chart, but the two do not seem to be compatible. Hi, See my examples of various ways of adding a datum line to a chart. I'm pretty sure one of the techniques should work for you. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Steve wrote: > I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I...

Best fit lines
how do i create a best fit line graph for results in a table? thanks in advance david See Help for info on the TREND and FORECAST functions if the fit is linear, or GROWTH if exponential. If more complex fit, please tell us more best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "David White" <DavidWhite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8D6B850-F188-4571-A3F6-CC6EC3ECB428@microsoft.com... > how do i create a best fit line graph for results in a table? > > thanks in advance > david David - Here are three a...

linear and exponential graphs and x,y intercepts
I have two lines one linear (y=mx+c) and one exponential (y=c^bx) and they intercept each other. I believe it is possible to calculate where the lines intercept. Although I can do this by graphing the data, it takes time and allows for user error so a calculation would speed things along greatly. The problem: So for the first line using the equation y=mx+c the numbers for the 13kPa line are y=0.0021x+9e-16 And for the exponential line (y=c^bx) which we produce to using the myograph is y=0.0022^0.0046x (^=Exp) I know that the two lines intercept at 1613. But no matter what I try I can&...

Adding a Second and Third Line to an Existing Stacked Bar/Line Cha
I have an existing stacked bar chart with the left Y-axis as the bar amounts combined with a line with the line amounts displayed on the right Y-axis. I want to add 2 more lines to my chart. When I add them as new series I do not get anything displaying on my chart. The ranges are all okay. What am I doing wrong? Are the added series listed in the Source Data dialog > Series tab? if so, they may be plotted as the incorrect type or against the wrong axes. You can select a series even if it's somehow obscured by selecting another series and cycling through series using the up ...

New Help in Line Chart
How do you not have the chart calculate cells that have formulas which caluclate to zero. I have a chart that show sales by month for one year, data is input from Sept to March while the range is Sept to June. In April the line dive to 0. How do I do this with out having to readust the source data each month? -- Billg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Billg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33514 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=533061 Hi, If the cell contains a formul...

Pie chart data labels and lines disappear
Help! I have a couple of pie charts in a file that I've set data labels and values to show. Everytime I close the file, when I reopen it, they're gone, although when I go to chart option, both are checked as being displayed. If I uncheck the boxes, then recheck them, the labels and values show again. Everytime I close the file, the same things happen. What's up with this? ...

how do I graph a linear equation?
I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks. On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Throstle <Throstle@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I >do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create >a data table and ...

vertical lines
Hi all, I found many vertical lines on the desktop monitor even I swap with another monitor. It is many thin lines although I can still use the monitor but it do not look good. It seems to be display problem but I cannot fix it by re-plug the display card or re-install the driver. Any idea ? thanks One more thing, it just happen on playing movie (avi, rmvb etc) but not found on windows graphic. "bob" <bobby@yahoo.com> ���g��l��s�D:OcUDFD9oKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I found many vertical lines on the desktop monitor even ...

listview ...setting grid lines
hi all if I set the extended style as list.SetExtendedStyle(LVS_EX_GRIDLINES) then it Displays gridlines around items and subitems. but the problem is even though i have 2 or 3 rows then also it shows gridlines more than 2or 3( here 2 and 3 are number of rows) , that is grid lines are there in full client area. how can i set these to only the number of rows present. sorry for my english with regards Harish "Harish" <harish.k at sify.com> wrote in message news:OjJ2WYv9DHA.1648@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > hi all > if I set the extended style as > list.SetExtende...

Can time series be plotted as half solid, half dotted line?
Is there a way to plot a single time series as a half solid line for actual data and half dotted (or dashed) line for the forecast period? Thanks ! ~Carol Carol, Break up your table into 3 columns, like this: Date Actual Forecast Date1 Actual1 Date2 Actual2 Date3 Actual3 Date4 Actual4 Date5 Actual5 Actual5 Date6 Forecast1 Date7 Forecast2 Date8 Forecast3 Date9 Forecast4 Date10 Forecast5 Then you will have two lines to graph - and one can be set to solid, the other dashed, and they will ...

using linear / non linear graphs to extract results
Hi, A frequent function of my job is to analyse data on graphs/charts to extract data for engineering data , i.e power / temperature/flowrates etc etc Is the a microsoft based programe i.e. Excel/Access that is capable of understanding data on a scaled X-Y axis that if an X value was entered in a cell, the programme would extract a corresponding Y value from a line on a graph ? If anyone has any woring examples of such a thing, I'd appreciate a link Thx Hi, If there is a linear relationship between X and Y use the function FORECAST It a power series is needed use LINEST - see examp...

Intersection of two lines
Does anyone know how to find the intersection point of two lines in excel? I've already plotted by data (2 lines) and they intersect. I've added linear trend lines and have the equations shown but was wondering if there was a worksheet function that at least gave the intersection point, on either axis. thanxs. If your two lines are y = a1 + b1*x y = a2 + b2*x Then solving a1 + b1*x = a2 + b2*x for the x value at intersection is basic high school algebra. Then plug that x value into either equation to get y. Jerry cpp492 wrote: > Does anyone know how to find the ...

Confused, help with this line please!
Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp works fine, but Worksheets(3).Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp gives a runtime error 1004 message. why? ( function is in worksheet 1 ) try it this way Sheets(3).Range("a9:f9").Delete Shift:=xlUp Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "serdar" <serdarsoy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eaBhR0pbFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp > > works fine, but > > Worksheets(3).Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp >...

Linear Regression
I have five numbers in: A1,B1,C1,D1,E1 Is there a function that will give me the linear regression of those numbers that can be put in D1, with charting etc? TIA Linear regression works with ordered pairs. row 1: 1,2,3,4,5 row 2: 2,4,6,8,<formula> formula in E2 : =FORECAST(E1,A2:D2,A1:D1) will return 10 Any use? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:XpidnXpInZMDMx7WnZ2dnUVZ8m1i4p2d@bt.com... > I have five numbers in: &...

line graphs
Hi, i have a spread sheet that i am trying to form a line graph to show the amounts paid in that period and in this period. how do i go about with the formula that i need to through. thanks EXCEL 2007 Hi Ray, please check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 55. All you need to do is to adapt this to you own needs. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "ray" wrote: > Hi, > > i have a spread sheet that i am trying to form a line graph to show the > amounts paid in that period and in this period....

Linear Equations
I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pair 1/2 y = 2x + My ordered pair x 0 1 y 2 6 10 see as follow Pairs x (0, 2 (1, 6 (2, 10 I am unable to graph this problem and need help!!! Just select the range containing the ordered pairs and Insert|Chart. Jerry Angela Mitchell wrote: > I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pairs > > 1/2 y = 2x + 1 > > My ordered pairs > x 0 1 2 > y 2 6 10 see as follows > > Pairs: > x y > (0, 2) >...

Chart Account# and $ value from MANY into Line Chart
Hello, I have 365 excel files with the first page containing 2 columns. An account number and the cash in the account. Everyday a new account could be added or removed from the sheet. What is the best way to pull all these files into one graph? How could I further filter the accounts by saying only account Numbers ending in a B or an A. How can I show on the line chart when an account drops off the chart. I'd suggest a routine that pulled all the data into a single sheet, inserted an extra column and used the filename as an identifier so that you ended up with 3 columns of data. T...

How to line up two dates?
Before I can carry out other task, I have to line up the row where Date 1 starts with Date 2 for all other stocks. It is not always 3 rows down as shown below. How would you write the codes to do that? Thanks. Code Date 1 Date 2 ABW 20090106 5.85 5.85 5.85 5.85 242 20090101 ABW 20090107 5.91 5.91 5.91 5.91 2000 20090102 ABW 20090108 5.85 5.85 5.85 5.85 2380 20090105 ABW 20090109 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 3468 20090106 ABW 20090112 5.9 5.97 5.9 5.97 4696 20090107 ABW 20090113 5.93 5.93 5.93 5.93 2993 20090108 ...

Print Range Lines
Is there any way to turn off the dotted lines that show the print range area within worksheets? I don't know why someone would want them unavailable, but a co-worker of mine insists "they don't turn on half of the time anyway, so why use/show them at all?" We use Excel 2003. Thanks. Tools>options>view and under window options deselect page breaks -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Me" <Me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B194547E-DE11-4508-97E2-52F99AF9F096@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to turn off the dotted lines that show ...

Equation of smoothed line between points
HI, I know I can add a trend line and get the equation for it. But the data I have does not really fit the trendline types offered. When I just add a line between the points and it is in SMOOTHED mode, is there any way to get that equations. Or at least to find values on that line between existing data points. And I realize I could linearly interpolate between those point, but I would rather have the smoothed line. THanks for the help. -- Mark Mesarch School of Natural Resources University of Nebraska-Lincoln You realize that the smoothing is not rigorously defined to track the da...

Printing Graphs with drawing lines added
I have a graph and I have used the drawing line to add a target. It looks fine on the screen but when I do a print preview or print the line goes away. I have another graph with the same type of drawing line but it will print. I need to know what to do to get the drawing line that is overlayed on the chart to print like my other chart. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Instead of drawing a line, you can follow Jon Peltier's instructions to add a line to a chart: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#AddLine For your existing lines, it sounds...

Drawing Lines
Working on a brochure. I want to draw lines to connect photos to places on a map. Not sure how to do this. Please help. Onaona wrote: > Working on a brochure. I want to draw lines to connect > photos to places on a map. Not sure how to do this. > Please help. ============================= Left click the "Line" button in the left panel of your screen. Now...left click / drag a line where you need it. If you do not see the Line button...make sure you have the "Objects" toolbar turned on. -- John Inzer Thank you so much. Appreciate your taking the time ...

reading line by line
Dear all, I have a big problem, but I don't known how excel can solve it. I have a sheet with like it: process process_line status values_USD 0255155 10 44 10 0255155 20 44 20 0255156 10 33 11 0255156 20 44 21 0256157 10 33 12 0256157 20 33 22 0256157 30 33 23 0256158 10 ...

Line graph question
How do I get my date axes (the horizontal axes) to start at zero followed by the first day of the month. -- WH99 Hi, If your dates are entered in the spreadsheet as dates then you may have problems - Excel stores dates as numbers so today is 39594 and 0 would be January 0, 1900. This would tend to spread the x-axis out quite a ways. If your dates are not entered as dates then make the first entry 0,0 - that is put another entry in the data area whose date value is 0 and whose value is 0. There are potential problems with this approach - each entry will be spaced equidistant apart ...