Linear Equations

I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pair

1/2 y = 2x +

My ordered pair
x  0  1
y  2  6  10   see as follow

Pairs
(0, 2
(1, 6
(2, 10

I am unable to graph this problem and need help!!!

Just select the range containing the ordered pairs and Insert|Chart.

Jerry

Angela Mitchell wrote:

> I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pairs
>
> 1/2 y = 2x + 1
>
> My ordered pairs
> x  0  1  2
> y  2  6  10   see as follows
>
> Pairs:
>  x  y
> (0, 2)
> (1, 6)
> (2, 10)
>

> I am unable to graph this problem and need help!!!

0
post_a_reply (1395)
5/13/2004 11:51:26 AM
In addition, try using the "XY Scatter" Chart.

--
Dana DeLouis
Using Windows XP  &  Office XP

"Angela Mitchell" <angelamitch@cs.com> wrote in message
> I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by
using three ordered pairs

> 1/2 y = 2x + 1
>
> My ordered pairs
> x  0  1  2
> y  2  6  10   see as follows
>
> Pairs:
>  x  y
> (0, 2)
> (1, 6)
> (2, 10)
>

> I am unable to graph this problem and need help!!!

0
delouis (422)

Trouble opening Word 2007 for Windows files with equations on my Word 2008 for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I use Word 2008 for Mac but when I try to open a Word 2007 for Windows file from a student with equations, all the equations are nonsensical. Any hints? FWIW, not being familiar with this area of Mac Word, when I try to open a Word 2007 document containing a Word 2007 equation (not the older type of equations) I see a dialog box that says that Word 2007 equations are not supported in Word 2008, that the equations will be preserved so that they will be visible if re-opened in Word 2007, but will "displ...

equation of a curve
I created a simple curve on excel using data points.How can I get the polynomial equation of the curve ? Hi Naty Right click on one of your data points and select Add trendline. The trendline dialog boxes offers a number of options for type of trendline, showing equations in chart etc. HTH Martin Or you can use LINEST; see http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Naty" <Naty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F27FCC10-F36D-4A8A-A48E-502B5D462A77@microsoft...

linear and exponential graphs and x,y intercepts
I have two lines one linear (y=mx+c) and one exponential (y=c^bx) and they intercept each other. I believe it is possible to calculate where the lines intercept. Although I can do this by graphing the data, it takes time and allows for user error so a calculation would speed things along greatly. The problem: So for the first line using the equation y=mx+c the numbers for the 13kPa line are y=0.0021x+9e-16 And for the exponential line (y=c^bx) which we produce to using the myograph is y=0.0022^0.0046x (^=Exp) I know that the two lines intercept at 1613. But no matter what I try I can&...

Linear Programming
In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable linear programming problem on a spreadsheet with a a number of constaints using Solver? Franklin - See the tutorials and examples at www.solver.com. Or, search your drive for the file solvsamp.xls, which is installed when Solver is installed and which has a 3-variable nonlinear example that is easily converted to linear. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com +++++++++++++++++++ "Franklin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c5a01c500bf$8f5038c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable ...

how do I graph a linear equation?
I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks. On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Throstle <Throstle@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I >do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create >a data table and ...

Chart equation
i need to find a equation of ellipse which join two points, how do i get the equation from the excell sheet? You have two points: (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) The equation of an ellipse is (x - h)2 / a2 + (y - k)2 / b2 = 1 This has four unknowns and you have only 2 data points i) (x1 - h)2 / a2 + (y1 - k)2 / b2 = 1 ii) (x2 - h)2 / a2 + (y2 - k)2 / b2 = 1 If we assume the ellipse has it centre at the origin then you have i) x12 / a2 + y12 / b2 = 1 ii) x22 / a2 + y22 / b2 = 1 Two equations & two unknowns; some simple algebra get you a and b Try setting up Solver to check you result best wishes...

using linear / non linear graphs to extract results
Hi, A frequent function of my job is to analyse data on graphs/charts to extract data for engineering data , i.e power / temperature/flowrates etc etc Is the a microsoft based programe i.e. Excel/Access that is capable of understanding data on a scaled X-Y axis that if an X value was entered in a cell, the programme would extract a corresponding Y value from a line on a graph ? If anyone has any woring examples of such a thing, I'd appreciate a link Thx Hi, If there is a linear relationship between X and Y use the function FORECAST It a power series is needed use LINEST - see examp...

Equating a Percentage to a Number
I am a new excel user. I am trying to set up an electronic grade book and I wanted to know is there is a formula I can use to tie a letter grade to a percentage. Thank You You are a bit vague, do you have number grades or letter grades? =IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,{0,"F";0.6,"D";0.7,"C";0.8,"B";0.9,"A"},2)) that means 0-59% F, 60-69 D and so on, replace them with numbers 1-5 if needed or change the whole scale if needed -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Linear Regression
I have five numbers in: A1,B1,C1,D1,E1 Is there a function that will give me the linear regression of those numbers that can be put in D1, with charting etc? TIA Linear regression works with ordered pairs. row 1: 1,2,3,4,5 row 2: 2,4,6,8,<formula> formula in E2 : =FORECAST(E1,A2:D2,A1:D1) will return 10 Any use? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:XpidnXpInZMDMx7WnZ2dnUVZ8m1i4p2d@bt.com... > I have five numbers in: &...

Find all roots of a high-order equation
The math behide this solution is quite simple: if a polynomial equation f(x)=0 has roots, let's say x1,x2,��xn,then f(x) can be converted to another format as (x-x1)*(x-x2)*(x-x3)*�...*(x-xn) = 0 So what we do here is use goal-seek to find it's first root(x1) then use f(x) / (x-x1) as a new equation, easy to say the new one is (x-x2)*(x-x3)*�...*(x-xn) = 0 repeat the procedure above,we can get all the roots one by one. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Find all the roots of High-Order Polynomial Equation by Dragon.Pan.zip| |Download: h...

Equation of smoothed line between points
HI, I know I can add a trend line and get the equation for it. But the data I have does not really fit the trendline types offered. When I just add a line between the points and it is in SMOOTHED mode, is there any way to get that equations. Or at least to find values on that line between existing data points. And I realize I could linearly interpolate between those point, but I would rather have the smoothed line. THanks for the help. -- Mark Mesarch School of Natural Resources University of Nebraska-Lincoln You realize that the smoothing is not rigorously defined to track the da...

Linear Equations
I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pair 1/2 y = 2x + My ordered pair x 0 1 y 2 6 10 see as follow Pairs x (0, 2 (1, 6 (2, 10 I am unable to graph this problem and need help!!! Just select the range containing the ordered pairs and Insert|Chart. Jerry Angela Mitchell wrote: > I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pairs > > 1/2 y = 2x + 1 > > My ordered pairs > x 0 1 2 > y 2 6 10 see as follows > > Pairs: > x y > (0, 2) >...

Treadline Equation
Hello Everyone - When use a series of data and create a chart - then from that create a treadline to forecast future values - sometimes the formula Excel provides (used to forecast the future values) is, im guessing, to big or too long and Excel will place an E next to a number. Here is an example: y = 762870x + 5E+06 How can I see the equation in its entirety so I can use it? Thanks! I assume that you mean "trendline", not "treadline"? 5E+06 means 5 * 10^6 You may want to try a function such as LINEST or LOGEST, depending on what sort of tren...

linear increments
Hi, I am kind of new to excel and was wondering if excel is capable of doing linear increments. I want increments that can vary, meaning in one case i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 2 and in other cases i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 5. The number of cells change. Is it possible for excel to do this w/o having to specify the number of cells needed? -- NewGuy100 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NewGuy100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27935 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

Graph two linear inequality equations
So the question is..... Any help or guidnace or direction to a web page from the gurus would be appreciated for getting it into excel so I can have a pretty graph. I can solve this with a stuby pencil and paper. Easy enough to get the X and Y coordinates. How do you put it into excel to graph? I looked online and find examples, but the more I look the more confused I get. 400j + 250X <= 20,000 (j=0 and x= 80) (j=50 and x =0) straight line 40j + 30X <= 2,160 (j= 0 x = 72) J = 54 X = 0) straight line j >= 0 x >=0 (0,72) X220 = 15,840 (54,0) X320 = 17,280 An electronics ...

Graph an equation on scatterplot graph
Okay, so here's the situation: We've got an Excel chart displaying calculated values on the y-axis and the day of the analysis on the x-axis. I'd like to add lines on this graph displaying the mean and then lines for + and - the standard deviation to show how each dot's represented value compares to the overall average. It'll just be as simple as y = 75, where the number (in this case, 75) will change every day as the mean is recalculated due to new points being entered. Is there any way to get the graph to look at the cell that's displaying the value of the m...

Linear Optimization
how can I optimize with integer variables? Assuming you are using Solver, add a constraint that specifies the variables to be 'Int' (w/o the quotes). -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <E214DF54-5098-41E1-9DD9-74DD53017D30@microsoft.com>, FaranakNegahdar@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can I optimize with integer variables? > ...

forced linear regression
Hello, I have a dataset with a (straight) line fit to it (with regression value and everything). My question is how do I take line with a different slope and force fit it to my data and optimise this new fit (i.e. get a new, obviously smaller, regression value that's a maximum for the forced slope with my data)? It's sort of the opposite of forcing a line through zero, I think. Anyway, is it possible, and if so where do I go to find out how to do it? I think you have to do it the old fashioned way. Attached is a example. If you don't have 'Solver...' on y...

Linear Line
Firstly, apologies as this will appear twice. I sent it via Google and they said it'll be 3-8 hours before posted, now if I had 3-8 hours that'd be useful! My question: I have 8 sets of x,y coordinates, is there a function that can tell me if all points are linear (i.e. form a straight line). Thanks in advance Mike Do your own google searches with Ron's add in http://www.rondebruin.nl/ -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "Mike" <mrskowse@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vhvm1693cg7400@corp.supernews.com... > First...

linear interpolation
Hi, I have a set of data that has monthly (or sometimes biweekly) measurements. However, I need to interpolate the daily values using the actual consecutive data. However, I do not want to put a best-fit line or curve through the data for the whole year. I want the program to pick between two consecutive values, and depending on their relationship (linear increase or decrease), fill in the gaps between them and spit out the corresponding values. For example, I have the following set, Date Value Jan. 10 0 Jan. 15 5 what I need is this: Date Value Jan. 10 0 Ja...

X Axis Linear Representation Problem
I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis. I can enter the data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker value gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an actual linear scale representation. In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the next mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the graphic representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5). This distorts the graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the...

How do I enter a quadratic and cubit-fit equations?
I have a data set the I want to evaluate using quadratic and cubit fits- can someone provide the proper equations? Adn what about plotting the funtions? 1) read Help to learn about Trendlines - make an XY chart first 2) visit my site to learn about LINEST to find polynomial coefficients http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm 3) to lean about charting - buy a book or visit http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "DianeD" <DianeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

equations
how can I display the equation of a line on my graph? If the line is from Chart|Add Trendline, on the Options tab check "Display equation on chart" Jerry rich wrote: > how can I display the equation of a line on my graph? ...

Linear Fitting
Hello I have a 512*256 data file. What I want to be able to do is create a new matrix by doing the following First, I want to calculate the linear fit equation for each row (the equation is different for each row). Then, I want to replace every value in that row with the value stored there minus the linear fit equation, where x is just the index number for the row. I want to be able to do this for all 512 rows, ultimately creating a whole new data set Let me just provide you with an example so it's clear what I am asking. So in my data file there are 256 numbers in the first row. T...

How do I perform linear regression?
How or where do I perform linear regression - in the chart or worksheet? Do you mean simply where do you perform it, or do you mean how to do it in general? "kunlez" wrote: > How or where do I perform linear regression - in the chart or worksheet? kunlez wrote: > How or where do I perform linear regression - in the chart or worksheet? ------------ Lots of possibilities, depending on what you want to get out of it. The simplest way is to just plot your data on an X,Y chart and then ask Excel to add the trend line to the data. Right click on the data line of the chart an...