limit no of characters in cell

How can I limit the number of charaters (including spaces) in a cell to
48? Additionally, I'm not sure if this is possible, say it applied to
cell A1, once 48 characters are reached, it will then automatically
drop down to the cell below to A2 and do the same again.

thanks

--
rocket0612
rocket0612's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19492

Try validation from the Data menu, and select text length less than 49
Copy the data validation into as many cells downwards as you think yo
nee

--
Gary Brow
Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1708

thanks for the reply.  regards my second point, is it possible that it
once you type the 49th character it will automatically drop down to the
next cell?

thanks

--
rocket0612
rocket0612's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19492
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375572

No, this is not possible.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"rocket0612"
<rocket0612.1pyaup_1117634710.9343@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message

> thanks for the reply.  regards my second point, is it possible
> that it
> once you type the 49th character it will automatically drop
> down to the
> next cell?
>
> thanks
>

> --
> rocket0612
> rocket0612's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19492
> View this thread:

chip1 (1821)

Can you calculate no. CHARACTERS
I know that it is possible to calculate the number of words within an excel cell but is it possible to calculate the number of characters? I hope someone can save me from staring at a screen with a pointer! Hi Lynz, > I know that it is possible to calculate the number of words within an excel > cell but is it possible to calculate the number of characters? > =LEN(A1) gives the number of characters in cell A1. Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP http://www.jkp-ads.com if you have "helpme" in A1, =LEN(A1) in B1 will return 6 "Lynz" wrote: > I know t...

separating text and numbers contained in one cell
We received a spreadsheet from a customer, containing data which w would like to improt in to a database. The problem is the numerica values and text descriptive fields are contained in one cell. Is ther a way to grab all text in a spreadsheet and move it over one colum leaving it in the same row? What I would like is for the numbers t stay in column one and the descriptive text to be cut/moved in to th adjacent cell in column two. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, DW -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming the numbers and text are consistant, like addresses (1234 Alame...

cell color problems
After changing my Windows color scheme, I discovered that all the cells in one of my spreadsheet were the background color. I wanted to restore them to a white background. Strangely enough, only one existing spreadsheet is effected; new spreadsheets have the default white color. I tried all Format Cells options to restore a white color. This worked ok, but I could no longer see gridlines displayed even though Tools / Options / View tab / Gridlines box is checked. Finally, I used Format / Auto Fomrat / None. This restored my gridlines but to my amazement, my spreadsheet ballooned from 500...

File Size Limit??
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the file size of an Excel 2000 document. We've got a guy here who has a 63Mb spreadsheet, and keeps wondering why he's getting "Out of memory" messages every time he opens it. I've put an extra 512Mb in his PC, but he's still getting lock-ups. He's convinced that there are no limits to the size of the file, but I'm pretty certain that there is... Anyone help? Thanks, Jon. The limit is memory. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

How can I increase the character capcity of an Excel cell?
The current maximum is about 1,100. Excel can hold 32k characters of text and around 1000 in a formula. You can't change this fact of life. -- Jim "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:442F16AB-1C7A-45CD-9A6F-E2C8282A2CDC@microsoft.com... | The current maximum is about 1,100. You can increase the ability of the cell to *display* more characters (cell can *contain* approx. 32,000) by strategically inserting forced line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) within the text. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please kee...

Adding A Date To Adjacent Cell
I need to know if there is a simple formula to add the current (static) date into the adjacent cell by entering a specific # into another cell. Example: by entering 100 into cell A1, I'd like to see the date apear in cell B1. Thanks, FS You need VB. Right click on sheet tab, view code. Paste this in: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub If Target.Value = 100 Then Target.Offset(0, 1) = Date End Sub -- Best Regards, Luke M "FS" <FS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

locking / unlocking cell in formula
E F 1 Do you own a guitar validation cell (yes/no) 2 If yes is it a Gibson 3 Is it a 5 string 4 Is it electric 5 Do you own a piano 6 Is it electric 7 Does it have 88 keys 8 Do you own a TV 9 Is it color 10 Is it an LCD 11 Is it 25" 12 Is it 32" 13 Is it 42" 14 Do you own a radio I would like to lock cells F2:F4 if F1 contains the word "no" I would also like to lock cells F6:F7 if F5 contains the word "no" I would also like to lock ce...

Get column of named cell
I have a named cell - StaffHeader1 - I want to refernce just the Column property of this cell in another piece of vba - how do I do that ? So in my code I am going to do this; iColumn = Column(StaffHeader1) Sheet6.Cells(3, iColumn + 1).Value = iStaffName Any help appreciated Thanks Check your other post. Isis wrote: > > I have a named cell - StaffHeader1 - I want to refernce just the Column > property of this cell in another piece of vba - how do I do that ? > > So in my code I am going to do this; > iColumn = Column(StaffHeader1) > Sheet6.Cells(...

Limits
I am doing a fairly easy programme on excel. It is a catchment runoff, and evaporation calculator. But i would like to place a limit on a cell, and have that exess go into another column, is this possible? EG 75 rainfall, soil can hold only 10mm more. SO 10mm INFILTRATES, ie that cell should have a limit of the max soil moisutre, the other 65mm RUNOFF's and thats a different column. ANYBODY PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!! lol You need a Workbook_Change event macro for that. The code you would write in that macro should first check that the change occurred in a cell within the range you want. ...

Harvesting URL data from cells
I have a list of 200 or so cells which are each hyperlinked to individual web pages. I would like to generate a list of the actual hyperlink addresses rather than the visible cell content. The only way I seem to be able to do it is to open each page individually and then cut 'n paste the URL? Thanks You can employ a User Defined Function. Function HyperlinkAddress(cell) As String If cell.Hyperlinks.Count > 0 Then _ HyperlinkAddress = cell.Hyperlinks(1).Address End Function Usage is: =HyperlinkAddress(cellref) If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie...

Preserving cell reference after a sort
How do I preserve a reference to data when the data's cell is moved by a sort? Example: F5 refers to M10 (either =M10 or =$M$10) and M10 contains "Domino's", then column M is sorted and "Domino's" is moved to M15, and I want F5 now to contain =M15 (and hence "Domino's") automatically, like when a new column is inserted. -Scott The short answer is that you can't. It's like if M10 contained "Domino's" and then you copied another cell into M10 so that M10 now contains "Four Brothers", there's no way F5 can sti...

How to insert small colored dots or rectangles in cells of excel
I am trying to insert colored dots or rectangles in cells of excel. How to do this? -- George You could select the cell and then Insert|Symbol and select Webdings or Wingdings etc. and then format the cell font color to whatever you want. "George A. Yorks" wrote: > I am trying to insert colored dots or rectangles in cells of excel. How to > do this? > -- > George ...

Cell Selection?
I have a colum of numbers 198 0 0 198 2 What I need, is to be able to select 3. the 198's are not going to be used in the next part of my equation. That seems simple enough, however all the numbers could be usable (not 198) and I need to use just the first three. Any ideas? One interp / way, using non-array formulas Assuming source numbers in A1 down Put In B1: =IF(COUNT($C$1:C1)>3,"",C1) In C1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"", INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0))) In D1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=198,"",ROW())) Select B1:D...

Help! IF function is too limited
Hi! I've created a drop-down list of cities in a cell, under which there are two more cells to be filled out with the address and zip codes corresponding to each of the cities. How can I do this, knowing that the original list is a three-column list made of city-address-zip? -- Ringo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ringo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470178 Use VLOOKUP into the original; list using the DV value =VLOOKUP(B...

2008 R2 dpm 2007 setup: SIS-Limited not found?
I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. Any ideas what i need to do to get past this? Thanks It turns out you just need to add the file services role in r2, dont need the manual command.. "markm75g" wrote: > I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via > ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart > > but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. ...

Automatic undesirable cell filling
I have a file with 5 charts. In one of these charts, all of suden colors became crazy. All I had formated, desapeared. Also,when I digi a figure or anything, the cell automatically is filled with the gree color. There is no use on trying to remove it or fill with anothe color. It will still be green. What to do -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Someone may have added conditional formatting to the cells. To remove it: Select the cells Choose Format>Conditional Formatting Click the Delete button Add a check mark to all three conditions Click OK, click OK Ivan Santiago <...

Checking for a blank Cell #3
Hi Julie managed to fix the #REF problem. However, it is still doing th same (i.e. displaying EXPIRED instead of N/A hwn there is no data in th corresponding cells? Hope you can help? Thanks a lot! Mar -- stevie_ra ----------------------------------------------------------------------- stevie_ray's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1067 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27416 =if(iserror(yourformula),"EXPIRED",yourformula) should work ok. stevie_ray wrote: > > Hi Julie managed to fix the #REF ...

Q: Rules limit
There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298) Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? For me already three users have addressed with such requests :- Thanks Alexander Kenin This is not a configurable limit. It's limited by the size of one RPC packet. "Kenin Alexander" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80981636-20EB-4C64-B514-F9BCA635AFE7@microsoft.com... > There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298). > Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? > For me already thre...

Moving from cell to cell
Up until about a week ago as I would be in a cell and wanted to move to the cell above, I'd simply click on the up arrow. To move to the right, click on the right arrow and so on. Now the same cell remains selected and the entire work sheet moves in the direction of the arrow. I have opened older document with the same result. Any ideas? Hi Chuck, Try turning the scroll lock off. --- Regards, Norman "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message news:%23e$cRy8mFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Up until about a week ago as I would be in a...

Limiting Internet Email for Users
I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop Internet Email. This might help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14B7AF2C-73E3-4601-84F9-3F7B95043B72@microsoft.com... > I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop...

Limit outgoing mail limit before send
Hi all Is there any method to avoid to send mail if the mail size is over a preset limit? If I set it in Exchange, the mail will first send to Exchange server and check the size. Any method to check the size before send to server? I got this problem since the connection speed is slow, not like local 100m network. Exchange server and the client Outlook XP PC is far away, connect with a 64K line only. Thanks ...

list numbers in a block of cells
Is there a way to list the values in a block of cells. 400 600 800 350 200 625 250 222 125 9958 226 123 Like: 400 600 800 350 200 625 250 222 125 9958 226 123 Assume source data in A1:C4 Put in say, E1: =OFFSET($A$1,INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/3),MOD(ROWS($1:1)-1,3)) Copy E1 down to E12 -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote in message news:%23PyCLFqPIHA.5140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to list the values in a block of cells. > > 400 600 800 > 350 200 6...

Merging Two Cells and Keeping the Values
I have two one cell that I am using Cell A. I am typing giftcard numbers in the cells as 6003860012345678. The giftcard = 16 digits. I need it to default and place 3 zero's at the beginning of each of the giftcard numbers like "0006003860012345678". The giftcard should equal 19 digits with the 34 zeros out in front. I tried merging them. Is there a way to do this? Sincerely, Raymond Have you tried using a custom format on the cell with nineteen zeros? "Raymond" wrote: > I have two one cell that I am using Cell A. I am typing giftcard numbers in >...

User ID more than 15 characters
Some customers manage user ID like are named in active directory... Great Plains only accept 15 char max. -- Evelin. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=4e13...

locate referenced cells
I have a spread sheet that when opening gives the message that cells are referencing other work sheet cells. I am having trouble finding which cells has the reference. Is there a easy way to locate these cells? Jeff Download and use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:04:33 -0600, "Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote: >I have a spread sheet that when opening gives the message that cells are >referencing other work sheet cells. I am having trouble finding which cells ...