Large file size in Excel

I've got a worksheet that is blank, and the Ctrl-End key combination jumps to cell A1.  I originally pasted 5 colums by 138 rows of data into this spreadsheet, then erased the columns completely by using 'Ctrl+-'.  I've also selected the entire sheet and used Edit->Clear All.  All this to no avail.  I have an empty spreadsheet that takes up 900 KB, but zips to 30 KB

Any suggestions on how to reduce the file size is welcome.
0
anonymous (74722)

"Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got a worksheet that is blank, and the Ctrl-End key combination jumps
to cell A1.  I originally pasted 5 colums by 138 rows of data into this
spreadsheet, then erased the columns completely by using 'Ctrl+-'.  I've
also selected the entire sheet and used Edit->Clear All.  All this to no
avail.  I have an empty spreadsheet that takes up 900 KB, but zips to 30 KB.

> Any suggestions on how to reduce the file size is welcome.

If it really is all blank, then why not just delete the file and forget it?
If you want the original 5x138 block of data, copy this block and paste into
a new workbook, save and see how big that file is.

0
Paul
11/26/2003 9:03:19 AM
Paul,

That's exactly what I did.  I copied the block of data from the original file, got the large file size, so I erased the block, erased all formatting, so that it's only blank, and the file size is still large.

The reason I am playing with the blank file is that if I can't get that file size reduced, I don't know how I will get the file size of the spreadsheet containing that block of data reduced.

Please suggest solutions.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

     ----- Paul wrote: -----

     "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
     > I've got a worksheet that is blank, and the Ctrl-End key combination jumps
     to cell A1.  I originally pasted 5 colums by 138 rows of data into this
     spreadsheet, then erased the columns completely by using 'Ctrl+-'.  I've
     also selected the entire sheet and used Edit->Clear All.  All this to no
     avail.  I have an empty spreadsheet that takes up 900 KB, but zips to 30 KB.
     >> Any suggestions on how to reduce the file size is welcome.

     If it really is all blank, then why not just delete the file and forget it?
     If you want the original 5x138 block of data, copy this block and paste into
     a new workbook, save and see how big that file is.

0
anonymous (74722)
11/26/2003 3:01:14 PM
Debra Dalgleish has some notes and pictures at:

It'll help you reset that last used cell.

(but if it's really blank, why do you want to save it at all?  <vbg>)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Anybody who can help with this question?  Thanks in advance

I have already tried resetting the last cel, copying the block of data, etc.  None of that works.  Or is this just an unfixable error due to Excel?  Has anybody ever seen this type of problem in Quattro or other spreadsheet programs, or is it just typical of Microsoft (I had similar problems with MS Visio, and had to use a 3rd party tool to fix it because Microsoft could not fix it)

Jo

     http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unuse

     It'll help you reset that last used cell.

     (but if it's really blank, why do you want to save it at all?  <vbg>

     Jon wrote
     >> I've got a worksheet that is blank, and the Ctrl-End key combination jumps to cell A1.  I originally pasted 5 colums by 138 rows of data into this spreadsheet, then erased the columns completely by using 'Ctrl+-'.  I've also selected the entire sheet and used Edit->Clear All.  All this to no avail.  I have an empty spreadsheet that takes up 900 KB, but zips to 30 KB
     >> Any suggestions on how to reduce the file size is welcome

     --

     Dave Peterso
     ec35720@msn.co

0
anonymous (74722)
11/29/2003 7:06:05 PM
You said you fixed the last cell.  So when you hit ctrl-end, it took you to what
you thought the bottom right cell should be?

Is there any chance that you have any objects on you
worksheet--pictures/shapes/comments/etc?

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

    Dim myShape As Shape
    Dim resp As Long

    MsgBox "There are " & ActiveSheet.Shapes.Count _
              &" shapes on this worksheet"

    For Each myShape In ActiveSheet.Shapes
        With myShape
            'resp = vbYes
            resp = MsgBox(prompt:="delete " & .Name _
                    & vbLf & "Near " & .TopLeftCell.Address(0, 0) & "?", _
                    Buttons:=vbYesNo)
            If resp = vbYes Then
            End If
        End With
    Next myShape

End Sub

If there are millions of shapes and you don't want to keep any, delete that
"resp = msgbox" line and uncomment the "resp = vbYes" line.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thank you very much for your help.  The ctrl-end key took me to A1, so that did not change anything.  Running the macro, I found 32 shapes (no idea what they were), and deleted all of them.  Now my file size is 20 Kb instead of 1 Mb

Regards

Jo

     ----- Dave Peterson wrote: ----

     You said you fixed the last cell.  So when you hit ctrl-end, it took you to wha
     you thought the bottom right cell should be

     Is there any chance that you have any objects on yo
     worksheet--pictures/shapes/comments/etc

     Option Explici
     Sub testme01(

         Dim myShape As Shap
         Dim resp As Lon

         MsgBox "There are " & ActiveSheet.Shapes.Count _
                   &" shapes on this worksheet

         For Each myShape In ActiveSheet.Shape
             With myShap
                 'resp = vbYe
                 resp = MsgBox(prompt:="delete " & .Name
                         & vbLf & "Near " & .TopLeftCell.Address(0, 0) & "?",
                         Buttons:=vbYesNo
                 If resp = vbYes The
                     .Delet
                 End I
             End Wit
         Next myShap

     End Su

     --

     Dave Peterso
     ec35720@msn.co

0
anonymous (74722)
11/30/2003 7:16:05 AM
If you still have the original file, you may want to make them visible to see if
they were important.

you could change these lines:
                 If resp = vbYes Then
                 End If
                 If resp = vbYes Then
                     .visible = true
                 End If

(And maybe change the prompt if it's important to you.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

delete user junk files (temp, cookies and temp. internet files) via login script
hello, I've been searching for a way to delete user junk files like it states in subject box. Setting IE settings to clear temp files when the browser is closed does NOT work. Making disk space 0 for temp files also leaves plenty of junk files behind. The only way I have seen to clear the files is manually. I've found this script to erase the junk files. It works by putting it in the all users folder in startup. c: cd\ cd C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files del *.* /f/s/q cd \ cd c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local ...

using 2002 excel books in Excel vX for mac
Unable to use the same book created in excel 2002 in a mac (excel v X) ...

PowerPoint 2007 automatically resizes embedded Excel charts
I know I've seen posts on this topic, but I've yet to find a thread where someone has an answer. When I have an Excel 2003 Worksheet embedded in PowerPoint, and whenever I edit the chart it automatically resizes. This messes up formatting and text-box labels placed over the Excel chart. I'd love to just use the native PPT2007 charts, but I'm constrained by needing to maintain commonality with the rest of my organization, which is still running 2003. Also, as I recall, the same problem was there when editing embedded worksheets in PowerPoint 2003. Does anyone have...

max file size over !!! can't open ..
pst file is bigger than 2 GB .. So, outlook isn't work .. what should I do ? Try this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer anonymous <doogie@kt.co.kr> asked: | pst file is bigger than 2 GB .. | | So, outlook isn't work .. | | what should I do ? there is a tool.. I forget the name.. it will chop off X amount of MB ...

an algorithm to regroup the same data in a text file
Hi there: I want to generate an algorithm to regroup the same data in a text file. There is a text file, for example, having the following data: 1 1 0.720 2.500 2.300 0.000 0.000 0.000 1 1 0.720 2.500 2.300 0.000 0.000 0.000 1 0 0.100 0.100 4.000 3.800 0.000 0.000 1 0 0.100 0.100 4.000 3.800 0.000 0.000 1 1 0.075 1.500 1.400 0.000 0.000 0.000 1 1 0.075 1.500 1.400 0.000 0.000 0.000 1 1 0.075 1.500 1.400 0.000 0.000 0.000 The algorithm reads these data from text file and regroups them into different groups (each group has the same data,...

Change the size of the data labels
How do I change the size of a data label in a pie chart? I am getting unusable wrapping of text when I have plently of room if I could only resize the label box. All I've been able to do is move the label. Thanks, DLIE Unfortunately, Excel does not trust its users to resize data labels, chart titles, or axis titles. If you need this level of control, you need to replace the data labels with text boxes. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ DrLostinExcel wrote: > How do I change t...

ON as a file container
ON has become my sole work place., I now keep many important PDF files on ON pages. But I am scared of doing this. I am afraid one day ON will loose these files. For example because I change the location of the page which contains PDF files. How reasonable is it to keep PDF files embedded in ON? Now you will advise me to keep backups of PDF files in separate windows folders but this I don't want to do. The reason is that this is cumbersome. Each time I inset a PDF on a ON page I need to create a windows folder that should have a logical name and location. But ON is there exac...

Automated Formulas in Excel 2003
When I first started using this document the formulas would update automatically but they have stopped. I now have to click on every box, click on the typing bar and press enter for each formula I want to update. Since this document is quite extensive with linked pages I would like formulas to update automatically. I am using Excel 2003. Looks like your calculations is set to MANUAL, got Tools/Option/Calculation and select AUTOMATIC. HTH J -- pinmaste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...

problem sorting data, says "this operatioin requires merged cells to be identically sized"
Need help with problem sorting data Error message says "this operatioin requires merged cells to be identically sized" After identically resizing the merged cells (which were in the header row), I still get this error message. If the merged cells are only in the header, select your range (avoid the header) and tell excel that your selection doesn't include headers (at the bottom of that dialog). parman wrote: > > Need help with problem sorting data > > Error message says "this operatioin requires merged cells to be > identically sized" > > A...

A Method to get bytes of file without loading file?
I haven't used File.Length yet so I don't know but I have to write some validation that requires learning how many bytes are in a file. Is there some way to query a file without loading the file into memory? And if I learn there's a way to do this with Javascript I just might pee my pants I'll be so happy :-) Hi, For C#, see : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.fileinfo.length.aspx Some more context could help but if you meant you would like to do this client side from js code embedded in an HTML page, you can't for safety reasons... ...

changes in graphics and font sizes on IE8
Recently, all graphics and fonts on IE8 have upsized without any action on my part except installing regular updates. The font is bigger and the graphics are a bit fuzzy. Firefox displays have not changed and are the same as they have been for the past year. Anyone familiar with this issue? Thanks "Buck" <Buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E925B31D-CFCD-4257-9B3E-2C6C37F80C28@microsoft.com... > Recently, all graphics and fonts on IE8 have upsized without any action on > my > part except installing regular updates. The font is b...

Can 7 workers input Excel data into a Master Sheet?
I've read about Sharing, but what I really need is for several workers to use a copy of my Master SS and input their own data, and have it automatically go to my Master without conflicts about cell data duplication. Can Excel or Access automatically adjust for multiple users inputting data at once? Thanks in advance, and please forgive if the answer is plain and in front of me and I just do not see it :) Sure multiple users can access an Excel file at athe same time and input data. Tools / share work book / select changes by more than one user / "Zillafan" wrot...

Off-Line file question
Outlook 2003 running on XP SP2 I've enabled my pst files to be synchronised Off-line - what I can't fathom out is where I point Outlook on my laptop to, to enable it to use the Off-line pst when not connected to the network. I'm probably missing something very simple here, but can someone enlighten me? Thanks PST-files? OST-files are being used to cache the Exchange mailbox. Could you tell us a little more about your setup like account types being used and where you store all your data files? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Prop...

Email large messages
Hi, I have to email large DWG & zip files attached to email messages and have been having trouble with breaking apart large mess. in outlook express. I set maximum file size to 1500KB but they never seem to get reconstituted on the receiving end. If I send a message with a 6MB attachment the receiving end gets 4 file: 1 of 4, 2 of 4.... 4 of 4 and so on and they can not do anything with it. Thanks for any help. Joe This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of thes...

How to config for exchange & local files
I have a home office setup. Due to bandwidth constraints I created a local file for my contacts, notes, & tasks, but mail & calender are on the exchange server (I need everyone to see my calender). This works fine. However, if I view Outlook Today or Calender view the tasks are empty because it's looking for the tasks on the excange server not my local file. How do I change these views to function correctly? I'm using Outlook 2002. Thanks Why not configure your Exchange account for offline use by configuring an ost-file? This way you have a local copy of your Exchange mai...

How large is a chart?
I am just asking out of curiosity. How large, in kilobytes, is a chart; say, a 1000-point x-y scatter? I had a large file whose size was halved when the charts were deleted (actually, they were lost, along with formats and scenarios, when the file got corrupted; see "story" below). In my non-expert view, it should not be so large, because the only information unique to the chart is its position, size, format, and similar details. The actual data itself is contained in the data-range cells, so should not have to be repeated in the chart itself. Not only the formulas but th...

PowerShell interop to Excel fails when PIA are installed
Here is a PowerShell script to union two Excel ranges – $xl=new-object -comObject Excel.Application $file="D:\test\test.csv" $xl.visible = $true $wbk = $xl.Workbooks.Open("$file") $wks = $wbk.worksheets.item(1) $r1=$wks.Range("A1:D1") $r2=$wks.Range("A2:D2") $mis = [System.Reflection.Missing]::Value; $r3 = $xl.Union($r1, $r2, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis, $mis) This works good if .Net primary interop...

Cannot open files into excel
I cannot open email files or shortcut files into excel. The only way I can open them is when in excel got to file and open. The error message says "cannot find file location" or form email "system cannot find file" any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, This are the usual things to fix this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>...

Increasing recently opened files list
Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. tabboo wrote: > Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in > recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like > eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS > applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. =================================== What is the name and version of the program you are referring to? -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled...

Cookies In Excel
Hi, Can anyone tell me, if the excel supports cookies? Here is the stuff I'm trying to do. I've a task site. I need to take all the task in excel. for viewing all the task I need to login to site and then select a project to get all the task list. The site works with cookies and querystring parameters. I know QueryTable, but do not exactly know how will I implement this. Can anyone help me start? and if possible sample code reference on internet somewhere is appreciated. Thank you. ...

Large fonts
How can I get fonts larger than 72? Hi swirem70, In the point-size box, you can type any point size, from 1 to 1638, in 0.5pt increments. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "swirem70" <swirem70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BEC0E88-CFF7-454F-B714-15D6538BBF02@microsoft.com... > How can I get fonts larger than 72? ....and press Enter. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "macropod" <macropod@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:%236N...

Excel Macro 01-11-10
Hello, What I'm now trying to do is to set up a macro that unmerges 4 columns and then shifts the data in column to the next column (Example: Column B data to Column C), and then the other way around, (Column E data to Column D). I tried using a variety of cut and paste macros, however, I'm very new to macros. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line 3. You send a cl...

SafePay txt Files
I have a client who has numerous companies that initillize SafePay. The would like to combine all the txt files into one file to upload to the bank Any suggestions Found the following at the CustomerSource Knowledgebase: No, currently this feature is not available for Safe Pay. Right now, when you upload information to the .txt file for Safe Pay, this is must be done one company at a time. Also, if you tried to use the same .txt file for all companies, this would not work either because the file is not appended with each upload, it is overwritten every time. So, if you ran the upload...

Max size of Money file?
Hi all, Is there a maximum size for Money file? I am worried because I have been using Money for many years and my file is now nearly 11MB. Thanks for any advice. There may be one, but it's MUCH larger than that. There's a limitations MSKB item, but I don't think it specifies any max file size. There are limits to the number of categories and accounts and so forth but they are all in the tens of thousands. My file is 61.7 MB this morning and has data collection from 1993 forward. I wouldn't worry and I surely wouldn't consider the File|Archive scheme. Is there a...

large email stuck in Outbox
I have an email with a large attachmment stuck in my Outbox. After trying to send it I get the error message gtom my email server that the email is too large. The problem is that outlook won't let me delete the email. I get either no message when trying to delete or Outlook tells me that it is already being send and I cannot delte while sending. Is there any way to get rid of this email? Hi, Log off from outlook. Kill Mapisp32.exe Then remove the network cable. Connect to outlook Work Offline Now u can delete the file from Outbox. Rgds, Kishore >-----Original Message----- &g...