Large amount of cell text

Hi,

We have a case where we have received records from a
Hotmail subpoena.  Microsoft has put the records in an
Excel spreadsheet with all emails for a six month period
being contained in a single column and tens of thousands
of rows.

The problem I am having is that some of the cells that
contain the text from the email messages are very long,
and makes reading of the cells difficult.  An attempt to
save to or publish to a different format for easier
reading causes truncation of the text in those particular
cells.  Word Wrap, Autofit, nor simply double-clicking on
the cell margin doesn't provide a solution.

Has anyone dealt with this problem or know of a
solution?  I am able to adjust each of these cells (not
easily) but we have around 100,000 cells through which to
sift.

What to do?

Thanks in advanced.

Chris,

1) Put a file name in the cell to the right of a cell with very long text
2) Select the cell with the long text
3) Run the macro below.

The macro will export the text to a .prn file in the folder C:\Excel (which must already exist) with the file name that you entered
in step 1.  The file created can then be opened in Word.  The macro can easily be modified to loop through all the cells, if you can
come up with an acceptable naming convention.

The macro should work on a cell with any amount of text.

HTH,
Bernie
Excel MVP

Sub ExportLongCellToPRN()

Dim FName As String
Dim WholeLine As String
Dim FNum As Integer

FName = "C:\Excel\" & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value & ".prn"

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
On Error GoTo EndMacro:
FNum = FreeFile

Open FName For Output Access Write As #FNum
   Print #FNum, ActiveCell.Value

EndMacro:
On Error GoTo 0
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Close #FNum

End Sub

"Chris Feaster" <chris_feaster@fd.org> wrote in message news:0b3901c34ae0$17177990$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> We have a case where we have received records from a
> Hotmail subpoena.  Microsoft has put the records in an
> Excel spreadsheet with all emails for a six month period
> being contained in a single column and tens of thousands
> of rows.
>
> The problem I am having is that some of the cells that
> contain the text from the email messages are very long,
> and makes reading of the cells difficult.  An attempt to
> save to or publish to a different format for easier
> reading causes truncation of the text in those particular
> cells.  Word Wrap, Autofit, nor simply double-clicking on
> the cell margin doesn't provide a solution.
>
> Has anyone dealt with this problem or know of a
> solution?  I am able to adjust each of these cells (not
> easily) but we have around 100,000 cells through which to
> sift.
>
> What to do?
>
> Thanks in advanced.

0
deitbe (120)

RE: Reference a cell in VBA
How would I say... reference cel d10 in visual basic? -- Please reply to newsgroup so we can all learn from you knowledge. Private emails will not be answered. Friendly Indi�n You could do it a bunch of ways: with activesheet msgbox .cells(10,"D").value msgbox .cells(10,4).value msgbox .range("d10").value end with or even: dim myRow as long dim myCol as long myrow = 10 mycol = 4 msgbox activesheet.cells(myrow,mycol).value "Friendly Indi�n" wrote: > > How would I say... reference cel d10 in visual basic? > > -- > > Please ...

I'd like to conditionally format a cell based on today's date
I have a column that contains important dates, and I'd like to say make the forecolor red if they're 3 months away, blue if their 6 months away, etc... How do I do this? Look up "conditional formatting" in Excel help. -- David Biddulph "0to60" <holeshot60_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23mzT42nAJHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have a column that contains important dates, and I'd like to say make the >forecolor red if they're 3 months away, blue if their 6 months away, etc... > > How do I do this? On Aug 20, 2:32=A0...

dissect large number
How do I dissect a large number (one column) into four (columns) keeping their own identity. I have a software that download (chart of accounts) into excel but this number is conected with activities during the year, and I like to break down into the Assets, revenue, inventory, expenses. example 1111400000 (one column) into 1-1114-00-000 (four columns) "Assets". -- Dummy Workalcholic "Dummy" <Dummy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21AA6743-15F3-4B32-81C2-92DBC300941F@microsoft.com... > How do I dissect a large number (one column) into four (...

Unable to select cells
I have a workbook with several macros built in. All of the sudden, I am unable to select several columns of cells. If I choose to disable macros upon opening the file, I can select the cells; however if I enable macros every time I click on any cell in the range, it defaults to cell A1 Any ideas? Thanks EP -- edwardpestian ------------------------------------------------------------------------ edwardpestian's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33809 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=539600 Maybe the develope...

Import Text file Data into Excel Sheet
I have a text file which has data(sample data below), i need to import data directly into the excel sheet I need to import from the text file phase by phase,i.e if the (text file) data exceeds 65536 rows then it has to put it in next sheet. the data is in this format wherin comma is a delimiter 7,.,20,de05c,,,52,1.2,52 7,.,21,de05c,,,2,1,2 hey guys i am done with the logic..... Sub ReadStrings() Dim sLine As String Dim sFName As String 'Path and name of text file Dim iFNumber As Integer 'File number Dim lRow As Long 'Row number in worksheet Dim lColumn As...

Linked cells return #Ref when they shouldn't!
Excel 2007 Workbook 1 has Sheet A and Sheet B. Sheet B is linked to Sheet a by clicking on the row in Sheet A and Pasting Link on row i want in Sheet B. =SheetA!A5 =SheetA!B5 Etc. right across the row. I have about 6000 lines like this. If i delete a line on Sheet A, Sheet B correspondingly changes to #REF, I cannot make it update to what is now that line on Sheet A. I was thinking if I deleted say Row 5 on Sheet A that Sheet B would automatically change the corresponding row to Row 6 rather than #Ref am I mistaken? Was sure I done it that way before. Hi You h...

Adjacent cells +
Hi: I have 15 adjacent cells in a row and they will allways contain th value zero with two exceptions. Two of these cell will have a value o 1. Here is my problem. I need to return the value of 3 if they ar adjacent cells, i.e., (0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0) the value 2 if there is on zero cell between them, (0,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0) and the value 1 if ther are two zero value cells between the two cells containing ones (0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0). I have scoured two forums trying to find a soultion to this and nothin comes close. It can go into vba if necessary but would prefer to keep it in excel. Tha...

IF formula & COLOURED CELL
I would like to use a formula if A1 (e.g.$15) is filled in yellow then A1*2%, if in green then A1*1%.....Is there any way to do that. TIA. -- littleps ------------------------------------------------------------------------ littleps's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25482 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391785 Hi, Check out this site: 'OzGrid' (http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ReturnCellColor.htm) Regards, -- aristotl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- aristotle...

Total the sum in a cell
I need to get the total sum from B1:B26 and get it to total in B27. What is the formula? Hi Misty a copy of options in cell B27 type =SUM(B1:B26) or click in cell B27 and click the autosum icon on the toolbar (the funny E shaped one) Cheers JulieD "Misty" <Misty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EC468DA-81F7-4189-B4BD-4EE43B1BB17D@microsoft.com... >I need to get the total sum from B1:B26 and get it to total in B27. What >is > the formula? =SUM(B1:B26) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Misty" wrote: > I need to get the total sum from...

Not allowing users the ability to edit a cell
Hi there In my database, I have included an age calculation as a control source. How do I set it up so that users can not make changes to this variable? Thank you in advance for your help. On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:35:01 -0800, forest8 <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi there > >In my database, I have included an age calculation as a control source. > >How do I set it up so that users can not make changes to this variable? > >Thank you in advance for your help. If the Control Source of the textbox is a calculated expression, it's ...

Using a Message Box to display �Random Quotation� stored in cells
Hi Can any one help me with this one ? What I�m trying to do is to click on a button which runs a Macro whic in turn selects a random quotation i.e. �to be or not to be�.� whic is already stored in a cell. I have about twenty quotes but I need to added to them all the time s the list would keep on growing Any help would be greatly appreciated Many thanks Ro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Rob if your quotes are in column A of the active sheet try the following code (assign this to a button on the active sheet): Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim wks As Wor...

MS Excel does not interpolate empty cells
Trying to plot a contour map of a film thickness. The substarte is round. X/Y coordinates are not in a grid so the data table has several empty cells. Trying to use 'Tool/Options...', 'Chart' tab and selecting the 'Interpolate' radio button does nothing. The chart treats the empty cells as zero value. If it would interpolate I would be happy. I also tried this with a grid (square) X/Y table with a couple of empty cells and again, it did not interploate. If the cell contains a formula like =IF(A1=0,"",A1), then that cell is neither empty nor blank. I...

Reconcile to GL
I used "Reconcile to GL" to reconcile GL & AR during month end, a difference between GL & AR was resulted in the Excel spreadsheet generated. Then, I try to generate and compare the individual GL TB and AR HATB, the amount was tied with no variance. After checked, I found out that the "Total RM Balance" shown in the reconcile report is different with the balance amount shown in the AR aging reports. And the differenciate sum is exactly the same amount shown in Excel spreadsheet. I would like to seek advise here on why there is a difference between t...

how to see which cells are read-only
Is there a way to quickly see which cells in a sheet are read-only, instead of right-clicking on each cell and looking at the security tab? I've copied an icon to my customized toolbar. Tools|Customize|Commands tab Format category|Lock Cell (it looks like a padlock) I dragged this to a toolbar. Now when I click on a cell, that icon is either engaged or not engaged--depending on the "lockedness" of that cell. (I find this the easiest and quickest.) If you're not using Format|conditional Formatting for anything else, you could use that too: Select your range and do For...

formula and text in a cell
How to put a text + today date in a cell? ..today date using today() ="blablabla "&TEXT(TODAY(),"mm/dd/yy") change date format to fit your region -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "crapit" <biggercrap@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ekGutQePIHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How to put a text + today date in a cell? > .today date using today() > ...

Format Cells
In some cases when I right click and attempt to select format cells, nothing happens. Nothing pops up. Why? This is from a converted spreadsheet from QPW. I have to copy and paste the text, then copy and paste a blank cell over the offending cell, then paste my text or number back to the original cell, before I can open up a format window. Surely there is some way around all this? Bruce Coincidence--from a response to a similar post: One more guess if your worksheet isn't protected: I've seen a problem in a couple of workbooks that were created by a different application (Lo...

Cell fill color changes by itself
I have a user who has excel worksheets that they use fill colors. These are colors that they use all the time. Suddenly when she opens the sheets, the colors change by themselves even though no one has changed them. When another user opens the same document, they are the correct colors. It seems random as sometimes the document shows the correct fill colors. ...

Formatting cells to display grams
How do I format cells in Excel to display different weights? -- jamie81 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jamie81's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18516 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376698 Examples...? Mangesh -- mangesh_yadav ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mangesh_yadav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10470 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=...

MS Outlook
Here's the situation: I want to prevent MS Outlook users from sending any attached files larger than 3 mb. My company is in a small office environment. We have about 35 PC's running everything from Outlook 97 to Outlook 2003. We are using a Cobalt Qube email server, which is about five or six years old. It does an adequate job most of the time. However, it has limited administrative features. Every so often, one of our sales people will send out an email with a large attachment - 6 mb, 12 mb, yesterday it was 19 mb. It was addressed to 12 people on staff. Needless to say it crushed ...

Blinking Text #2
Can I create blinking text in a single cell? Hi Brett It is possible, but don't do this. ******************************** David McRitchie posted this in november Blinking is not supported in Excel, but you can use some macros using ontime. Here is a repeat of a posting by Bill Manville using ontime. http://google.com/groups?selm=3C88CC86.85946D62%40consumer.org This one by Norman Harker is activated at workbook open http://google.com/groups?selm=WL9i7.3406%24vI2.186266%40ozemail.com.au When this is running, it will be running whether you see it or not, whether you have that she...

Displaying Multiple Text Lines At Runtime
I need to display various text messages in my dialog app, and they change during the application. There will be multiple lines of text in one rectangular area. In order to handle that and format it well, should I not use the edit box with an attached CStatic variable? Should I just use text out with coordinates and maybe draw a rectangular area instead of using a control? Thanks, Matt There are several ways by which you can acheive this. 1. In your Status bars, create a new panel for displaying your messages. 2. Create a control bar, which can be docked/closed, and write your messages in...

Large number of entries in Queue
I have a large number of entries in my SMTP queue (700). The majority seem to be NDR's going to non-existent domains. Is there any way to prevent this from happening other than turning off NDR notification entirely? You could implement spam blocking before the spam hits your server. What version of Exchange are you using? Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft Outlook FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/outlook.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and re...

set tab or enter keys to automatically move to different cells
I'm working with an invoice document that someone created on Excel 2003. It's a great document, but we want to program either the TAB key or the ENTER key to move to a different cell within the worksheet. Example: After typing the Date, enter automatically to Invoice Number, then enter automatically to Company Name, and so on. Is there a way to start at cell N1 ,then program the Enter key to automatically go to cell N7 after that, then C9 after that and so on. Any information is GREATLY appreciated! You won't be able to move in the order you quoted in your post, but yo...

#REF! after cell deletion
Hi there Imagine you have two sheets in an Excel workbook, and for instance 'Sheet 1' looks at the values in 'Sheet 2' courtesy of a column filled with formula something like this: =Sheet2!A1 =Sheet2!A2 =Sheet2!A3 etc. Is it possible to prevent Excel from replacing the formula at say: A2 in 'Sheet 1' with "#REF!", when the row containing A2 on 'Sheet 2' is deleted? -- Colin G Eastwood One way: =INDIRECT("Sheet2!A2") In article <6J5w9gA$VxrBFwQ0@rudge0.demon.co.uk>, Colin G Eastwood <eastwoc@rudge0.demon.co.uk> wrote:...

Conditional Formatting For Highlighting a Cell Color
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to write a formula to do the following. And, if it were possible, how would I write that formula? I would like to highlight a cell with a certain color if the current date is greater than or equal to a certain date AND time. If it is not yet that time, then I would like to leave the cell color “blank”. How would I do that? Thanks in advance to whomever may be able to help me. Candy In Conditional Formatting. Formula is =$G$4>=DATEVALUE("12/13/2009 12:30:00") G4 can be active cell or referenced cell. ...