Keep phone number fomatting from excel to print on WORD labels

With an older version of Microsoft Office when phone numbers in excel were
formatted (555) 555-5555 and you mail merged them to a WORD label the
formatting printed on to the label.  The new version of these programs just
types the numbers of 5555555555 without the ( ) and the -.
I would like the formatting of the excel file to transfer to the WORD labels.
0
Theiler (1)

If you format a cell as Special >  Phone number and enter 1234567890 it will
display as : (123) 456-7890

When the cell is copied and pasted into Word the formatting is preserved.
--
Gary''s Student

"Thelma Theiler" wrote:

> With an older version of Microsoft Office when phone numbers in excel were
> formatted (555) 555-5555 and you mail merged them to a WORD label the
> formatting printed on to the label.  The new version of these programs just
> types the numbers of 5555555555 without the ( ) and the -.
> I would like the formatting of the excel file to transfer to the WORD labels.
0
GarysStudent (1572)
10/16/2005 10:09:02 PM
Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
   http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions here:

   http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/CustomizingWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
Another way is to cheat!

Use a helper cell with a formula like:
=text(a1,"(000) 000-0000")
and copy down

This will be treated like text in your mail merge.

Thelma Theiler wrote:

> With an older version of Microsoft Office when phone numbers in excel were
> formatted (555) 555-5555 and you mail merged them to a WORD label the
> formatting printed on to the label.  The new version of these programs just
> types the numbers of 5555555555 without the ( ) and the -.
> I would like the formatting of the excel file to transfer to the WORD labels.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Opening Excel files in Explorer
Usually you can open any excel file by double clicking the file from within Windows Explorer. Since some time for a mysterious reason this doesn't work any more. Excel opens but not the file. Any ideas why this is so and what to do about it? Tanks for info, Danker -- Danker Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults...

print macro to filter search form
Hi all, I have a search form that finds results by filtering the original table. It is adapted from http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html . All my search boxes are text boxes on my version. I need to be able to print the records that the search retrieves. The form is a continuous form. I know how to set up a print macro if searching with a Query, but I have many criterion to search for and the filter was the best choice. Additionally I am having problems with the Query code itself. Anyways, Is there any way to print out a report of filtered results like that? Thank you for your time in adv...

Text not printing
I'm using publisher 2002 with windows XP. Creating 8 page booklet with text boxs and Photo images. When i send to printer after 1 test page, some text will not print but images will. only certain pages will not print text others will. Very frustrating when doing run in color and have to recycle because all text is not printing. Can anyone help? Lorne, how about you tell us what brand, model and type of printer you are using. If this is a laser printer you are running out of memory. Make sure you are using the latest model printer driver from the website of your printer manufacturer...

new group for syncing with I-phone
I want to create a new group for syncing with I-phone. How can I do it? New group of what? Mail, calendar, contacts... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or pda? http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=39473 "ilbi&q...

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Excel 97 not saving
I have a user on WinXP / Office 97. User states that sporatically, she is unable to save an Excel file on either her hard drive or the network drive. These files have macros in them, and up until she was upgraded to XP and began using macros, she had no problems saving. The only error being reported is "Document could not be saved." In her latest email to me she writes: Please note that the problem is intermittent and I do not know what is triggering the problem other than it has only happened since I started using XP and files with Macros. I have seen documentation that a...

Help with printing one name on a report
On my Form that has No Record Source I have a Combo Box [cmbHorsePlanner] that has a row source SELECT qryHorseNameActive.HorseID, qryHorseNameActive.Name FROM qryHorseNameActive; And next to that Combo Box I have a Print control that prints my form that I only want the one name that I select from my Combo Box My Report is rptHorsePlanner, I suppose I will need a requery or Dirty so I can change selections to print a Report! Thanks for any Help...........Bob Bob, What is the Record Source of the report. Assuming your report is based on a query, then I think all you will need to do i...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

Excel File Opening Via Hyperlink
What do I need to do within an Excel document to have it open in print preview mode when the Intranet link to this file is clicked? Thank you. Put this one line Macro in the ThisWorkbook code area: Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200723 ...

Duplicate records in Excel
How do I highliht duplicate records in Excel? I created a data base in Excel, and discovered that there are duplicate tag numbers from the old paper work I'm pulling data off of. So I'm looking for a way to get Excel to find those duplicate records and highlight the rows they are in. Sheidsa, have a look here http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Sheidsa" <She...

Excel Type Rounding
Hello, Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know how to do it with Access standard Round() function. The same syntax produces an error with Access. Pls Help For example, I want 125,232 to be displayed as 125,000 and 125,832 to be displayed as 126,000 TIA Anand Anand - Try this: Round([AmountToRound]/1000,0)*1000 -- Daryl S "Anand" wrote: > Hello, > Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use > Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know ho...

Number with dash is importing as date
An Excel spreadsheet is being exported from a SQL database that I cannot change, so I need to accomplish this in Excel. Sometimes, some of the many numbers contain a dash which Excel then interprets as a date. I can remove the dash programatically, but the number is not correct afterwards. For example, the number imported is 05-9078 which is displayed in Excel as May-78, but is actually stored as 5/1/9078. Changing the cell format to number or text gives me 2621833. I need to be able to add to my macro something that will give me back the original number so that I can remo...

Access 2 Excel
I exported an annual worklist from an Access table to Excel. There is column for tasks, one for frequency (TD, D, TW, W, TM, M, Q, SA, A twice daily, daily, twice monthly, etc) and a column for each month. The month columns have the same coded data as the frequency colum depending on when the task is done. The problem is that I tried to make a pivot table to count how man tasks (by frequency type) are done each month. Excel is counting th empty cells as if they had data. Search and replace doesn't work. even tried replacing the blank data in Access with ~ and re-exportin it. Ex...

Use a cell's value as row number for another cell in Excel
Excel XP: I'm trying to use the values in one row of cells (D1:F1) as the reference for the row value for a different series of cells (D2:F4). For example: Column A B C D E F Row 1 1000 30 170 1 2 3 2 1500 60 190 3 1200 20 175 I want to get the following cells to equal: D2=1000 (In other words: D2 = A1); D3=30 (In other words: F2 = B1); E2=1500 (In other words: E2 = A2); E3=60 (In other words: F2 = B2); F2=1200 (In other words: F2 = A3); F3=20 ...

replace number if greater than
I have a spreadsheet that track safety data. One cell has the number of days since an accident. It updates automatically. The other cell is the past best number of days without an accident. I want the Past Best cell to replace its value if the current days since accident exceeds its value. Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be easy with a worksheet change event. Which two cells are these numbers in? -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "diggs" <diggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2680500C-1FBA-493A-8FE7-0357C9A46FDB@microsoft.com.....

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

How to do this kind of chart in excel?
I wonder if this is possible. I have two gaussians represented by points and joined by a smooth line in excel. however, ideally I want the area under the curves to be shaded, and best of all, if possible, be semi transparent so that the overlap between the two curves is highlighted a bit darker than the area under the individual curves. x values are wavelength, y values are intensity is this possible? t.i.a Lee - Excel doesn't do transparent shading of area charts; otherwise that would be the ideal approach. You can get semitransparent column charts using an autoshape as an area...

opening Excel and then closing it
I have a file that is passed to me in XLS format, but I would much prefer to work with it in CSV. So I did this... ' open the downloaded file in Excel and copy it over to L in csv format Workbooks.Open "O:\Downloads\D00100001554_0.xls" Workbooks("D00100001554_0.xls").ConflictResolution = xlLocalSessionChanges Workbooks("D00100001554_0.xls").SaveAs "L:\Activity.csv", xlCSV Workbooks("Activity.csv").Close False This works fine except it leaves Excel open in the background. The only thing to do is fine it in Processes a...

Excel graphs
Hi, I'm trying to display two sets of data, with identical X-axis on the same Y-axis, but am finding it hard. I don't want 4 bars for each X value, but a graph with 4 X-catergories containing 2 bars each, then an identical x-axis with a further similar data set (i.e. 4 x 2 bars) - anyone have a clue how to do this? I've tried just making two graphs and deleting the Y-axis from one, but the X-axis never line up in something like Powerpoint when I put them together! Thanks! Forgot to say, this is for Excel 2000 bar graphs. "AndyB" wrote: > Hi, > > I'...

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

Office documents printing black diamond symbol
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Current Office for Mac 2008 version - 12.2.1 When I print to an HP LaserJet P2055DN network printer, I get an extra page printed with a small balck diamond symbol in the upper left-hand corner. I have contacted HP but they are blaming Microsoft Office for this....has anyone else found this problem when printing??? Garren_98 Hi Garren; I haven't seen any such issue posted here. The real question is "What happens if you print to a different printer?" If you get the same result then perhaps there could be a...

Copy data from multiple worksheets to worksheets in a number of other spreadsheets
I have a performance spreadsheet containing multiple worksheets, each worksheet holds performance data for an individual fund. Each of these funds has its own spreadsheet containing static information about the fund. I need macro that will copy the performance data from the performance spreadsheet to each individual fund spreadsheet. The cells to be copied are the same for each worksheet (B2:D65). Each worksheet in the performance spreadsheet is named with a fund code, this fund code is also the name of the respective worksheet in each fund spreadsheet. I need the macro to copy cells B2:D65...