Keep Excel from opening new instance

I have Excel 202 and with a dozen or two open programs sometimes forget I
have excel open and press the Excel icon on my taskbar.  If it was Word it
would open a new file for me to start writing, but Excel opens a new window,
tells me it is in use and can open as read only.  I have to tell it to
cancel, at which time it continues to open.  Then I have to close it and
click on the file I have open.
HOW can I either get Excel to behave like Word or get it to not even bother
opening like that.
0
widman (34)

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Sometimes one of these works:
>
> Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
>
> --- or ---
>
> Close Excel and
> Windows Start Button|Run
> excel /unregserver
> then
> Windows Start Button|Run
> excel /regserver
>
> The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's
> factory defaults.
>
> widman wrote:
> >
> > I have Excel 202 and with a dozen or two open programs sometimes forget I
> > have excel open and press the Excel icon on my taskbar.  If it was Word it
> > would open a new file for me to start writing, but Excel opens a new window,
> > tells me it is in use and can open as read only.  I have to tell it to
> > cancel, at which time it continues to open.  Then I have to close it and
> > click on the file I have open.
> > HOW can I either get Excel to behave like Word or get it to not even bother
> > opening like that.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
widman (34)
9/29/2005 1:35:01 AM
Won't take too long to find out if the second works.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Won't take too long to find out if the second works.
>
> widman wrote:
> >
> > First one didn't work.
> > Doubt that the second one will, because these seem to be the factory
> > defaults.  I've always had this problem, had it when I temporarily loaded it
> > on a borrowed computer while my hard drive was being replaced, and have it
> > again now that it is reinstalled on my new hard drive.  I kept thinking the
> > updates would fix it, but they don't.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Sometimes one of these works:
> > >
> > > Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
> > >
> > > --- or ---
> > >
> > > Close Excel and
> > > Windows Start Button|Run
> > > excel /unregserver
> > > then
> > > Windows Start Button|Run
> > > excel /regserver
> > >
> > > The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's
> > > factory defaults.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
widman (34)
9/29/2005 5:56:02 PM
I've done a few times and it's never affected my toolbars or my username or
anything else I can remember.

As a tip, search for *.xlb file--where excel stores custom changes to toolbars.
If you ever have to restore the toolbar, you can just plop the backup copy of
*.xlb into its real location.  (Although, I don't think that excel wipe out that
toolbar on a simple re-install, either.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I've done a few times and it's never affected my toolbars or my username or
> anything else I can remember.
>
> As a tip, search for *.xlb file--where excel stores custom changes to toolbars.
> If you ever have to restore the toolbar, you can just plop the backup copy of
> *.xlb into its real location.  (Although, I don't think that excel wipe out that
> toolbar on a simple re-install, either.)
>
> widman wrote:
> >
> > does that reset anything else about excel?  I am tired of putting the
> > toolbars back in usable condition after each install, user name or anything
> > else.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Won't take too long to find out if the second works.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
widman (34)
9/30/2005 11:23:02 PM
/regserver is a parameter that you pass to excel.exe.

I suggested:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

--

Dave Peterson
0

Link from Excel to out look
I would like to make a link from Excel date column to my outlook calander. Please let me if it is possible. I am using Office 2003. For example if I have date in one column and some notes on second column. For that date I would like see those notes in my Outlook Calander. ...

new group for syncing with I-phone
I want to create a new group for syncing with I-phone. How can I do it? New group of what? Mail, calendar, contacts... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or pda? http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=39473 "ilbi&q...

Excel 97 not saving
I have a user on WinXP / Office 97. User states that sporatically, she is unable to save an Excel file on either her hard drive or the network drive. These files have macros in them, and up until she was upgraded to XP and began using macros, she had no problems saving. The only error being reported is "Document could not be saved." In her latest email to me she writes: Please note that the problem is intermittent and I do not know what is triggering the problem other than it has only happened since I started using XP and files with Macros. I have seen documentation that a...

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Opening Excel files in Explorer
Usually you can open any excel file by double clicking the file from within Windows Explorer. Since some time for a mysterious reason this doesn't work any more. Excel opens but not the file. Any ideas why this is so and what to do about it? Tanks for info, Danker -- Danker Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults...

Inbox says 2 new emails, not seeing them..
I have a user in our New York office (I'm in New Jersey)... she's running Outlook 2003. This moring her Inbox showed 2 new emails, but they all showed as being read already. She has an appointment, but after that I might use TeamViewer to access her computer.. is there anything I should look for or do? Is she syncing with a smartphone or pda? Is her reading pane set to mark messages read when the selection changes? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ ...

problem with column charts and two Y axes in Excel 2003
I've used previous versions of Excel for column charts a fair bit, and it seems like something doesn't work in Excel 2003. I want to display two data series next to one another in a column chart, and each data series needs its own Y axis (they are on different scales). I can get the two series next to each other if they are both plotted against the same Y axis, but if I choose Format Data Series -> Axis -> Secondary Axis for the second data series, the two columns are on top of each other. I can't figure out how to change this, and I don't recall ever having this probl...

I need Excel Help
I have another question about my project that I don't understand, if anyone could help that would be awesome! consultants who work on a project also receive a bonus if the fees exceed estimates, otherwise the consultant received no bonus. Create one formula that calculates the bonus by referencing the appropriate bonus rate in the table given by the number of hours the consultant worked. Does this make sense to anyone? I really need help. Take a look at VLOOKUP in help. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "IHate...

Trouble exporting Report to Excel
How do you increase rows to output size? When exporting a 2000+ page report to Excel (97-2002 *xls), stops on page 412 with message stating: “There are too many rows to output, based on limitation specified by the output format or by Microsoft Access”. Using Access 2000 with Windows 2000 OS Excel has a hard-and-fast limit of 65536. When you export to Excel from a report, you usually get extraneous blank lines, so it's conceivable that you're hitting that limit. There's no way around it, other than to simply export the data (assuming less than 65536 rows) rather than the rep...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

Excel File Opening Via Hyperlink
What do I need to do within an Excel document to have it open in print preview mode when the Intranet link to this file is clicked? Thank you. Put this one line Macro in the ThisWorkbook code area: Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200723 ...

Can't Remove Exchange 2000 Server under new 2003 Admin Group
Recently installed a new Server 2003 as DC and also an Exchange 2003 on same machine. Migrated from 2000 DC with Exchange 2000. Followed all procedures as documented. Demoted old 2000 DC and promoted new 2003 DC. All mailboxes, gobal address books, RUS, connectors, public folders, etc. were migrated successfully. I now have in my Exchange Manager two Exchange Servers, the 2000 and 2003. I need to remove the 2000. I can't delete it from the 2003 DC because there is still a system mailbox and I get an error saying there are still mailboxes. I know that I need to remove the Exch...

Excel Type Rounding
Hello, Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know how to do it with Access standard Round() function. The same syntax produces an error with Access. Pls Help For example, I want 125,232 to be displayed as 125,000 and 125,832 to be displayed as 126,000 TIA Anand Anand - Try this: Round([AmountToRound]/1000,0)*1000 -- Daryl S "Anand" wrote: > Hello, > Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use > Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know ho...

Duplicate records in Excel
How do I highliht duplicate records in Excel? I created a data base in Excel, and discovered that there are duplicate tag numbers from the old paper work I'm pulling data off of. So I'm looking for a way to get Excel to find those duplicate records and highlight the rows they are in. Sheidsa, have a look here http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Sheidsa" <She...

Access 2 Excel
I exported an annual worklist from an Access table to Excel. There is column for tasks, one for frequency (TD, D, TW, W, TM, M, Q, SA, A twice daily, daily, twice monthly, etc) and a column for each month. The month columns have the same coded data as the frequency colum depending on when the task is done. The problem is that I tried to make a pivot table to count how man tasks (by frequency type) are done each month. Excel is counting th empty cells as if they had data. Search and replace doesn't work. even tried replacing the blank data in Access with ~ and re-exportin it. Ex...

Problems with opening attachments in Outlook 2000
Hello all, In Outlook 2000 we experience some strange problems. When we open an attachment with a wireless network card present we cannot open the attachment. If we remove the card or are connected to the normal network everything works just fine. We use Outlook with a pst file and several profiles. For as far as we can see this problem occurs in all profiles. If you have any idea... please let me know. Erwin ...

Excel VBA Project Has Protection?
I'm trying to find a way to programmatically check if a workbooks VBA project has protection. I know ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.Protection will tell you if it is currently locked but that doesn't help if the project has already been unprotected ie by a user (or another bit of code) has unprotected the project. So what i am trying to do is if a VBA project doesn't have any protection, my code will ask the user for a password and then set the password by using sendkeys. If they already have the VBA project protected, it will ask them for their password, then unlock the pr...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

Excel graphs
Hi, I'm trying to display two sets of data, with identical X-axis on the same Y-axis, but am finding it hard. I don't want 4 bars for each X value, but a graph with 4 X-catergories containing 2 bars each, then an identical x-axis with a further similar data set (i.e. 4 x 2 bars) - anyone have a clue how to do this? I've tried just making two graphs and deleting the Y-axis from one, but the X-axis never line up in something like Powerpoint when I put them together! Thanks! Forgot to say, this is for Excel 2000 bar graphs. "AndyB" wrote: > Hi, > > I'...

opening Excel and then closing it
I have a file that is passed to me in XLS format, but I would much prefer to work with it in CSV. So I did this... ' open the downloaded file in Excel and copy it over to L in csv format Workbooks.Open "O:\Downloads\D00100001554_0.xls" Workbooks("D00100001554_0.xls").ConflictResolution = xlLocalSessionChanges Workbooks("D00100001554_0.xls").SaveAs "L:\Activity.csv", xlCSV Workbooks("Activity.csv").Close False This works fine except it leaves Excel open in the background. The only thing to do is fine it in Processes a...

How to do this kind of chart in excel?
I wonder if this is possible. I have two gaussians represented by points and joined by a smooth line in excel. however, ideally I want the area under the curves to be shaded, and best of all, if possible, be semi transparent so that the overlap between the two curves is highlighted a bit darker than the area under the individual curves. x values are wavelength, y values are intensity is this possible? t.i.a Lee - Excel doesn't do transparent shading of area charts; otherwise that would be the ideal approach. You can get semitransparent column charts using an autoshape as an area...

how can I keep a tab in place?
I have workbooks with multiple worksheets. I would like to keep the summary tab in a fixed (first) position so that the user can easily, quickly find it without using the l<, <, >, >l (arrow) tabs. I use hyperlinks to get from the summary tab to the other tabs, and I know I can hyperlink tab back... but I'd rather not use the hyperlinks too much. Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (for structure) Or, create a custom button/macro that navigates to the summary sheet. -- Best Regards, Luke M "missy8892" <missy8892@discussions.microsoft.com>...

microsoft excel #4
Whre I can find in the web to download microsoft excel Thanks. Budors, I'm not sure what you mean - Microsoft Excel isn't a free software application. If you can find it out there as a public download on the web I'm sure that Microsoft would want to know about it. Cheers, Katherine "budors" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0F9FF3A-B5BE-44C0-AA0A-D97529FB5EC6@microsoft.com... > Whre I can find in the web to download microsoft excel. > > Thanks. You cant download it, not legally any way, you have to BUY it, strange as that...